first option

why did they take this feature out? i used to love getting the first option on a youngster who i felt would be best served at his current club for a few years..then when he was ready i could sign him for the agreed fee..shame they removed this as it does happen in real life!

had this feature not been incorporated into the feeder clubs?where you have first option to buy if another club made a bid on that player?

Yes but the old first option was a little different. The club would pay a fee upfront on a player to arrange a future fee. The club would then have the option to exercise that option for an agreed period of time to buy the player.

Yes but the old first option was a little different. The club would pay a fee upfront on a player to arrange a future fee. The club would then have the option to exercise that option for an agreed period of time to buy the player.

Was that one of those features that was removed as it was not completely clear how it would work in real life? A bit like the 'unprotected contracts' in FM05 or whatever version it was?

As far as I know, the way first option in real life works is the player has a preference on which club he would want to go to. The player tells his agent this, and then when the club is ready to sell the agent will go to that club first and ask if they are interested. This is also sometimes called 'offer of first refusal'. I'm not sure if this is the player's wish, or an agreement between the player's youth club and the buying club.

For example, it's been reported that Real Madrid have a first option on Ezequiel Munoz. Man City may have options on Neymar and Paulo Henrique. But the circumstances on this are not clear. Did Man City and Real Madrid pre-arrange a deal like this, or is it simply the players' wishes to go to these clubs?

Because there is not really any interaction between managers and agents in FM, it cannot really be incorporated properly. I know older FMs agents would sometimes come to you and show you a video highlight of the player, saying the player would want to play for you.

Basically this is applied most between big European clubs and young South American players since they cannot sign until they are 18.

Archived