A few questions about network gaming

I've played FM for quite a few years but have never got involved in network gaming, but having purchased FM10 yesterday thought I'd give it a try as playing against others seems so much more fun than playing against the computer. What I want to know is is it not possible to simply click on 'join network game' and play against others across the globe, or do I need to join some sort of specific server or something? Do I actually have to have real life friends to play this?

I'd also like to know what people think of network gaming - is it better? Does it run slower? How does it work - ie what happens if your next opponent goes on holiday for 2 weeks?

Thanks in advance

in the past ive always played against a friend who had similar free time to myself. i think you need to give your ip to the other party so playing randoms cant happen unless you post your details somewhere on the internet. it does play slower, but as far as i know, the faster the speed of the hosting machines the smoother the game will run overall. anyone joining into the game will also be affected by internet connection speed.

overall it can be good fun, but more time consuming than an individual game. there is nothing worse than playing against a meticulous user who individually likes to scout every free player, whilst you know exactly who you want, because you will be there waiting for ages :p

if you are having trouble configuring the firewall etc, i suggest hamachi to facilitate the game. i used it and it is excellent.

Archived