Defensive Headers Problem

I've noticed this happening on a few occasions, wondered if other people had seen it.

When the ball is heading towards a defender with his back to his own goal, under no real pressure, he will sometimes opt to head the ball when it would be far easier to simply control it on his chest or turn and play it back towards his own keeper when it slows down. When he does go to head it, all he does is head it about five feet behind him before completely losing his balance and standing still for a moment, allowing an opposing player to close him down and challenge for the ball.

It doesn't seem like he's heading it to anyone in particular, and this happens from the lowliest 2nd Division defender up to Sergio Ramos. I don't think I've ever seen a defender do this in real life, let alone a top class defender like Ramos. This is not a bouncing ball or one that he has misjudged the flight of, this is a routine ball.

If this is meant to represent the defender misjudging the flight of the ball, there really needs to be some feedback either in the commentary or through some animation that clues us in to the player error.

Archived