Defensive Tactics Help/Advice

I've been going thru the search feature, and can't find any tips to help me with this, so, please refrain from telling me to check the search engine. My question is for FM2010, and it's an issue i've been having with my defenders.

I've been using FM since 2006, and consider myself a relatively advanced user, which is what makes this all the more frustrating. Basically, I want to stop my CD's from chasing opponents and leaving the area. All too often in games, if they are being approached by a dribbling opponent, they will step up to challenge them, which on its own is fine. Unfortunately, they tend to go too far upfield, or any direction actually, allowing the CF or ST to slip behind them on a run, and viola, easy goal for the opposition.

I've tried to make them mark zone, no creative freedom, not closing down, etc, etc, and still, they chase the ball carrier, leave their area and constantly allow attackers to slip behind them. Any advice?

W

I\'ve been going thru the search feature, and can\'t find any tips to help me with this, so, please refrain from telling me to check the search engine. My question is for FM2010, and it\'s an issue i\'ve been having with my defenders.

I\'ve been using FM since 2006, and consider myself a relatively advanced user, which is what makes this all the more frustrating. Basically, I want to stop my CD\'s from chasing opponents and leaving the area. All too often in games, if they are being approached by a dribbling opponent, they will step up to challenge them, which on its own is fine. Unfortunately, they tend to go too far upfield, or any direction actually, allowing the CF or ST to slip behind them on a run, and viola, easy goal for the opposition.

I\'ve tried to make them mark zone, no creative freedom, not closing down, etc, etc, and still, they chase the ball carrier, leave their area and constantly allow attackers to slip behind them. Any advice?

W

If you have lowered their closing down to very low (ie 3 or 4 notches from lowest) and they still chase then I can only imagine it is down to their decision making attribute.

Either that, or you are setting Opp instructions to close down certain players and they are just following instructions??

Hi Asprilla, and thanks for the quick reply. No, i found in previous years that when i had them man mark a specific player, it made my defense even worse and drew them even further out of position. Thats actually a nice add on, and yes, i know it's not the place for it, but has anyone really had good success by man marking individual players? Ok, back on track, no, i'm not marking ind. players, but will try to lower their closing down now.

W

Hi Asprilla, and thanks for the quick reply. No, i found in previous years that when i had them man mark a specific player, it made my defense even worse and drew them even further out of position. Thats actually a nice add on, and yes, i know it's not the place for it, but has anyone really had good success by man marking individual players? Ok, back on track, no, i'm not marking ind. players, but will try to lower their closing down now.

W

Don't man mark specifically some player with your defensive player, because that will open wide gap in your last line. Rather change one of your midfielders(thus making DM of him effectively if not by position) to defend and use him to help out.I don't usually do it, except in few occasions when my defense had rough time stopping their attacks and i tried everything else already.

Use closest one to the player that you want to man mark, ex. your MC(or if you are playing with DMC) for their AMC. It could be wise to switch one of your forwards to supporting defensive forward in order to lower the gap created by puling your MC deeper. He will then cover one of their midfielders.

Archived