Memory Bug on Mac - Simply the result of a dodgy copy of the game?

Hi All,

First-time poster, long-time FM player - and apologies for what opening up what seems to be a heavily discussed topic.

Basically I bought a new copy of the game and it was running smoothly on my Mac for a couple of days apart from the odd crash, thought it's gotten to the point now where we can't even start the game (as in, don't get past the initial "Loading" screen - most of the time it doesn't reach that stage and just does the "memory is low" crash when the Sega logo rolls into view). In other words, it's become progressively worse.

We've got two saved games, one of them with quite a few leagues (I like to run the game at about 21) with large player databases - not sure if this is part of the problem.

The specs for the mac (a new computer):

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, OS X 10.5.2

I've tried installing the patch and that hasn't worked, nor has reinstalling the game a couple of times. This has been going on for a few days - it seems a common problem after scrounging around the net for possible solutions.

But is it possible/likely that I've just bought a dud copy of the game?

Archived