What the hell??? 3-2 match gone to penalties?

I am playing in the champions league final in FM09, my second season as sunderland manager. The game was tied 2-2 at the end of 90 minutes. I checked and saw that my striker, Aguero, was really tired, so I subbed in Marquinhos for him. I was lucky enough too that Arsenal had used their three subs already, and then one of their players got injured. So it was 11 vs 10 for me. Marquinhos scored a goal to make it 3-2 for me a few minutes later. I didn't notice it in the commentary, but when i checked "formations" maybe 5 minutes later in the game, Arsenal only had 9 players on the pitch, and was playing very defensive. Anyway, time elapsed, and I was expecting the "sunderland have won the champions league!"

Instead, it said "the match goes to penalties!" and I was taken straight to the "choose penalty takers" screen. I looked up at the scoreboard at the top of the screen, and instead of saying 3-2 for sunderland, it actually said 4-2! I double checked the bar at the bottom of the screen and only 5 goals were scored total in the game.

What is going on? It was a hell of a game. i went up 2-0, one goal on a PK. then i got another PK, and Srna (who made the first) missed it. Then Arsenal came back to tie it 2-2. Then my sub got the winning goal. How do I fix what's going on? What is going on?

I do feel like it's cheating that I won when Arsenal only had 10 men and they didnt get a red card. Then again I had a missed PK which is pretty lame. Anyway I should get the win, so what's happening? How do I fix it? thank you

Screenshots coming soon if i dont get any help right away.

Edit: Turns out there was a red card for arsenal at the very end of the game, plus three injuries during. they didn't go down a man until extra time though. Regardless, looks like I have no choice but to go to penalties. Also they never showed a 6th goal, but it says marquinhos scored one after the game ended, 120-1 minuts into it. Maybe that's where the bug occurred because that goal never happened.

Edit 2: I started penalty shootout, only two shooters went, then it stopped making any forward progress, i couldnt progress the game. So i went to tactics, and instead of tactics there was "team talk," so i said congratulations for winning, then clicked confirm. Instead of goig forward, it took me back to the frozen penalty shootout, like the tactics were awaiting a stoppage to go through. SO i went on holiday for 1 day, and that worked, made it go forward, and turns out i lost the penalty shootout. Now I have to replay the whole damn thing. Completely ruined the experience.

Hmm people always ask me that when I post here. I thought everyone does this because its a no brainer, but maybe not. Maybe people think it's cheating, but the game allows it so I don't know. What I do is I try to sell all my players for immediate money (when possible), but whenever I buy a player I pay over 24 months, so each player I buy only half the fee gets taken out of my transfer budget for that year (since the other half doesn't get paid until the following year). That way I can spend 2x as much transfer money as I actually have. As long as I don't bankrupt the team, and as long as I keep spending in control in that regard, there's no reason not to do it. For example, I sold 123mil I believe in players in the 09-10 offseason, and then I spent 230mil on players over 24 months. That's how I achieve what I do. The way I got Aguero is because I qualified for the champions cup in my 1st season as sunderland. If you don't I doubt he'll come because the team's reputation doesn't rise enough. I still think even though I qualified that he was "not interested," but I offered him somewhere in the 70k to 90k per week range (as much a I could, probably closer to 90k), and a big signing bonus, and he came because of the money. Now that I've won the champions league I can probably get most of the top guys now if I sell enoguh players to get enough money.

Also the other part of how I do this is I usually spend literally 30+ hours on every transfer window just offering my players to clubs over and over and over because the game is designed so poorly in that way, and I offer a player out for 10 mil, then 9.5, then 9.0 until I get an offer. Usuually I dont, and it gets lower than I want to sell him for, so I start offering him up for even more again, and asking for random numbers, and eventually I can sell maybe 70% of my players the first transfer window, and then the rest either the second window or next season. It's very time consuming and a pain in the ass but it's the only way I can get enough money to get the players I need to win enough stuff so I don't have to wait more than three seasons to get players like Gerrard with the teams I play.

• 3 weeks later...
Hmm people always ask me that when I post here. I thought everyone does this because its a no brainer, but maybe not. Maybe people think it's cheating, but the game allows it so I don't know. What I do is I try to sell all my players for immediate money (when possible), but whenever I buy a player I pay over 24 months, so each player I buy only half the fee gets taken out of my transfer budget for that year (since the other half doesn't get paid until the following year). That way I can spend 2x as much transfer money as I actually have. As long as I don't bankrupt the team, and as long as I keep spending in control in that regard, there's no reason not to do it. For example, I sold 123mil I believe in players in the 09-10 offseason, and then I spent 230mil on players over 24 months. That's how I achieve what I do. The way I got Aguero is because I qualified for the champions cup in my 1st season as sunderland. If you don't I doubt he'll come because the team's reputation doesn't rise enough. I still think even though I qualified that he was "not interested," but I offered him somewhere in the 70k to 90k per week range (as much a I could, probably closer to 90k), and a big signing bonus, and he came because of the money. Now that I've won the champions league I can probably get most of the top guys now if I sell enoguh players to get enough money.

Also the other part of how I do this is I usually spend literally 30+ hours on every transfer window just offering my players to clubs over and over and over because the game is designed so poorly in that way, and I offer a player out for 10 mil, then 9.5, then 9.0 until I get an offer. Usuually I dont, and it gets lower than I want to sell him for, so I start offering him up for even more again, and asking for random numbers, and eventually I can sell maybe 70% of my players the first transfer window, and then the rest either the second window or next season. It's very time consuming and a pain in the ass but it's the only way I can get enough money to get the players I need to win enough stuff so I don't have to wait more than three seasons to get players like Gerrard with the teams I play.

Interesting way of doing it and very creative - good on you.

Ahhh the risky Leeds approach, I commend you good sir.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me.

I'm Newcastle united playing Arsenal. We were drawing 2-2 in a cup match. Said going to Penalties, I chose my takers. Then It just froze in match mode and I couldn't progress. I didn't see and penalties, but it told me a lost 5-3. I had to go on holiday to move forward.

Then it said my messages that I lost 4-2 no penalties at all :(

Must be some kind of bug I guess.

Archived