Defense too soft ?

Hey guys,i'd like to ask you for your opinion on this one.I should start off saying i really enjoy challenges,and fm09 stopped being a challenge around the time they fixed the bug with player controlled footballers missing too many shots (still very enjoyable,though,and the only fm i played round the clock all year,with no real monthly breaks as i did the previous ones).I am wondering if in fm10 it is my impression or the defence is simply too soft or is slacking too much.I play as real madrid,and it feels like my defenders are really soft in duels with combative strikers or in getting stuck in for the ball,and many times they just watch the ball go past them to another striker that scores.

Could it be they enhanced the value of anticipation and bravery in the game ? Maybe you guys know more than i do.Until i put my finger on this,i will probably play with a much more defensive lineup as madrid,so far i'd been using 4-5-1 (dutch 4-3-3) and variation of this.Thinking of employing a flat 4-4-2,not exactly defensive,but probably more than this,as both the flanks and the midfield seem to exposed,specially on counter-attacks (of course).Also considering a 4-1-2-1-2 with wing backs and no wingers,employing ronaldo as a striker.I prefer formations where i have at least two creative MCs or AMCs (obviously wouldn't be able to have that as 4-4-2,and i prefer not wasting kaka playing him out wide like pellegrini is doing at madrid most of the games.)

So,what do you guys think ?

My defense on the other hand are stupid idiots who saw off legs at every chance they get. :D

One of my players (Peter Larsson) came back after a suspension and was then sent off in the first match... TWICE IN A ROW. He wont let anything get past him. Not even when i'm in front 3-0. Not really the smartest guy.

Small teams also seem to be doing really well at the moment compared to before which gives more of a challenge,i guess.With a highly ambitious squad at madrid,i got my work cut out for me as one loss can really make things spiral downwards.Had a similar issue with madrid squads in some other years.

Still seeing some bad mistakes in defence,sergio ramos just misjudged the flight of the ball as it came flying high and slow,and then hit the ground 1 meter in front of him then jumped over him,finding the opposition striker ,which then ran with the ball and hit a scorcher to find the net.

Oh well,time will tell if it's coincidence or it's a problem.I figure it might have to do with the player's stats having more value now such as anticipation and positioning..we will see.

Small edit : ref just called for half time when i was awarded a freekick from the edge of the area..hmm..

Archived