FM2010 and Linux

Just wondering, will FM2010 work in Wine? I've found the demo works perfectly, 3D match engine and all, like many games, but the common problem is usually copy protection. So does the copy protection bork use of Linux? Would a Steam install get round that issue?

For what it's worth, I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala release candidate, 2 machines one running NVIDIA hardware, one running ATI (NVIDIA usually works better due to better drivers though ATI are catching up), proprietary drivers, latest Wine version direct from their repositories.

Really I don't want to have to use Windows if I can help it, my linux installation is so much nicer :)

Last years edition worked fine for me on Debian. I just downloaded the activation programs from here and it was pretty straightforward. Though for this year two different copy protection schemes have been announced : one for owners of physical copies and one for the digital downloads. It's the one for the physical copies that *might* not work.

Then I'll go steam probably, I've got a lot of stuff working that way including hl2 and l4d. Any chance of a native linux edition SI?

PS Offtopic.. how do you find Debian? I tried it a while back but the dated version of Gnome somewhat drove me crazy. Ubuntu and Fedora tend to be more my style. Might give Arch a try some time when I'm feeling a little braver!

Btw quick guide for anyone wanting to run this in Wine (and this'll work for most games)..

1. Get winetricks (google is your friend)

2. Use winetricks to install...

- directx, msxml3-6, all the vbrun and vcrun that you can handle, dotnet1 and 2, allfonts, allcodecs, ie6.

That lot will sort most windows software in Wine.

• 2 weeks later...
Btw quick guide for anyone wanting to run this in Wine (and this'll work for most games)..

1. Get winetricks (google is your friend)

2. Use winetricks to install...

- directx, msxml3-6, all the vbrun and vcrun that you can handle, dotnet1 and 2, allfonts, allcodecs, ie6.

That lot will sort most windows software in Wine.

Sorry for bumping this, but has anyone here been able to run the data editor through Wine, and/or the game itself in windowed mode?

Everything else is just perfect. Still, it would be nice to use that editor...

• 4 weeks later...

I gave up playing games on my linux system years ago. The last games i played were Enemy Territory and Doom 3. Now im using a second partition with xp pro for gaming. Im not a big fan of wine but im looking forward to your project and maybe we will get an FM for linux in the near future.

Tourist, then you obviously don't know how much things have improved :p If you're on an NVIDIA card especially it's very good. ATI's getting very close and Intel is problem-free (though obviously low-performance). My NVIDIA box plays games at near-enough native speeds.

• 2 months later...

I think you will wait for a long time before to get a FM for Linux. For now, the only way to play FM on linux is using wine or PlayOnLinux (using wine too)... A dual-boot with a win xp partition is a another possibilty, but fm seems working slower on xp than on my ubutun partition on the same pc ;)

I gave up playing games on my linux system years ago. The last games i played were Enemy Territory and Doom 3. Now im using a second partition with xp pro for gaming. Im not a big fan of wine but im looking forward to your project and maybe we will get an FM for linux in the near future.

I think you will wait for a long time before to get a FM for Linux. For now, the only way to play FM on linux is using wine or PlayOnLinux (using wine too)... A dual-boot with a win xp partition is a another possibilty, but fm seems working slower on xp than on my ubutun partition on the same pc ;)

Archived