Question about the lack of different passing attributes

Sorry if this has been asked before, but anyway to basic question: why?

I've played CM and FM since 2001 and even though there have been some changes like goalkeeping attributes that only GK's have had for some years now, there are still only two attributes for passing. And that's only if you count crosses as passes.

I mean, for shooting there's long shots, penalty taking, finishing, freekicks which - if I got it right - cover short and long range shooting abilities, and there'a also different attributes for acceleration and pace - among others. But there's no different attributes for short passes, long passes, first touch/wall passes, quick opening passes (like when your defensive midfielder wins the ball back and give that quick opening pass). Basically there's just one attribute for passing, which really generalises players - especially midfielders - into a one mass.

Good example is Fabregas, who is much better at long passes than most defensive midfielders and midfielders are, but in FM his passing abilities aren't that special because the best defensive midfielders have passing around 15-17 or even higher and many got creativity around 15. Cesc has better attributes for those, I know, but it still feels like the game undermines the abilities of best of passers in the game, since there are players who can pass that short secure pass, but can't pass long passes though the midfield. And then there are players who are so much better at long passes and long crosses over/through the midfield.

I know there's first touch attribute, so maybe that's connected first touch/wall passing, I don't know really know. And there is also creativity attribute, but I don't know how that could be directly related to passing abilities. But still it feels like the best passers in real football aren't that much better at passing in the game, since you can find a lot of players with creative and passing around 16-17 and that just undermines the best passers there are.

Koira, there are many factors that go into a successful or unsuccessful pass:

Creativity = the vision to spot an incisive pass as opposed to a safe one

Anticipation = the ability to anticipate a teammate's run and opponent's reaction

Decisions = the ability to decide when its worth playing that incisive pass

Passing, obviously

Technique = the ability to strike that pass cleanly

First Touch = the ability to play it cleanly first-time, or play a wall pass, etc.

And that's just assuming that you're in good conditions with no defender in close proximity - Balance, Agility, and Strength will all come into play then. There is also the Team Work attribute to consider as well as the amount of time the passer has had to "gel" with his teammates.

You can certainly see the difference in ability if you are playing a lower-league game; at the Blue Square Premier level I was able to sign a player high in those six attributes .. and he really ignited my offense. The difference in quality was clear in almost every game he played in, and we missed him badly when he got injured.

Archived