Freekicks need fixing

I haven't really seen any threads on the way free kicks work in the game so here are my 2 cents. I have problems with the way free-kicks are implemented, both defensively and offensively. These comments are based on the settings for free-kick positioning being mostly default ones (man mark/Wall(at least 5) for defense and forward for offense).

Defensive:

Often the positioning of the defending team is shocking. The following are some of the problems that arise with varying degrees of frequency:

1) Unmarked player on the wing with no defender within 20 metres.

2) Free kicks a few metres from the penalty in a frontal position: very few players on the wall and the opposition players are allowed men in the penalty area. This never happens irl because the defending team will create an offside line around where the wall is.

3) Free kicks between the corner flag and the penalty area: Often there is no wall in these free-kicks.

Offensive:

My biggest problem is with the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of the inswinging free-kick, from a lateral position into the box. IRL, these are some of the most dangerous set-pieces resulting in goals either from glancing headers or the ball going directly in due to the keeper not having enough time to react. In the game I rarely see the former happen and never the latter. Corners are far more effective than these free-kicks (even excluding the corner exploit) and it does not seem to reflect reality.

Hope you managed to read through it and looking forward to getting some feedback :rolleyes:

Archived