Minimum expectations are -----, but . . .

Going into the new season as Bolton, the board has asked me about the start of season expectations. They say their minimum expectations are qualification for the UEFA Cup through league position, but I have the option of "top half finish."

Now, I'd rather play it safe with "top half finish" as the difference in transfer funds is only £3 million and with Man City's emergence I would rather not gamble on 5th or 6th. But, if I pick a level of ambition that is below the board's stated minimum, will I hurt my reputation or job security?

Going into the new season as Bolton, the board has asked me about the start of season expectations. They say their minimum expectations are qualification for the UEFA Cup through league position, but I have the option of "top half finish."

Now, I'd rather play it safe with "top half finish" as the difference in transfer funds is only £3 million and with Man City's emergence I would rather not gamble on 5th or 6th. But, if I pick a level of ambition that is below the board's stated minimum, will I hurt my reputation or job security?

The options are there to set your board's minimum expectations so if you were to select "top half finish", that would be the board's expectations for the upcoming season. Thus, you will not be penalised for not getting into Europe for example.

I would say pick the option you are most confident in achieving if you are trying to consolidate a firm foundation with your club.

I went with the "Top 10 finish." It did seem to hurt my security slightly - dropped from Very Secure to just Secure or Stable - but worth the risk as I'd have to have a hell of a season to get past the Big 5.

Yup, definitely less risky this way and all the best with your season! :thup:

If you perform well, then you probably can build upon the success and aim higher the following season.

Cheers mate.

I'm hoping to build on my 6th place finish as I've got a young regen striker that won young player of the season, I got a good deal on a certain giant Everton midfielder, and picked up a certain diminuitive young French striker with a lot of potential on a free. I've also got £20 million in the war chest, but I'm having a hard time finding players that will significantly improve the team for that price.

Archived