Patience Pays Off With Tactics

Right. I'll get the issues out of the way first; on a mac, tiger, patched, unable to continue playing. I'll get over it, don't worry.

One season was almost complete with Arsenal, and tactical persistence is the name of the game in fm 2009 it seems.

1) Please take into account that a good percentage of your goals, certainly in the first half of a season, will come from set pieces. Your strikers will struggle.

Andrea Pirlo, 28m quid, 16 goals in 25 games. Moral? get a dedicated set piece taker.

Your strikers will develop and improve their scoring over time. Give them a break and accept that the game is a bit harsh on them.

As i know from painful experience, it is very frustrating seeing massively expensive attackers do nothing for game after game, but just hang in there. Make sure that your training is set up well ( http://www.thedugout.tv/community/showthread.php?t=50571 thanks Holters) and they will get better. PPM will help too, for example little Walcott running channels.

2) If you tinker, you'll totter. Don't misunderstand, you need to be careful with each and every match, opp instructions and man marking those threats etc, but try to keep a dedicated formation and consistent team instructions. Get a rhythm. And, lastly, be happy with realistic 1-0 and 2-0 wins, don't expect slaughters like i used to get in earlier versions, (8-1 over Barca for example). :)

3) Corners. Now I can't be sure about this, but it seems pretty certain so far... Change your method. I stacked the far post, best header near post, second best on the keeper, aimed at near post. First game Toure banged in two against a full strength oppo at Old Trafford, but it didn't work again for two whole games. It seems to be an exception to the 'tinker = totter' rule. Feel free to argue, like i said, I'm not sure.

Hope it helps for anyone that wants it.

Later

Archived