(FM'09) A 'United' Front - A Chance To Rewrite History Part II

neilhoskins77

Sunday 13th May 2012
If we had reached the Playoff Final, we would have been without Richal Leitoe, who damaged his elbow in a heavy fall in that defeat at New Douglas Park yesterday. Not that it really matters, the winger will be out for around three weeks.

Monday 14th May
At the moment, with no idea one way or the other if the club intend to keep me on for next season or if they are planning on sacking me, I start my summer business. I have a contract through to next summer, and I want to stay. Expect a fairly major clearout, and it starts today. Andrew Hageman and David Partridge are both out of contract at the end of the season, and both leave the club today, saving us £300 a week in wage budget.

Wednesday 16th May
There is a steady procession of players in and out of the office today, as twelve players are told that they are no longer required at Ayr United, and while they have a contract that we of course respect, if they desire First Team football, then they need to seek it elsewhere. Some of the names are players who have had more than ample opportunity to impress and not really done so. Others are young players who while never really getting the chance here, failed to do enough with our Reserve side to push their claims for a First Team spot.

Two leave the club right away today, and this time it's midfield where the cull occurs. Neither Mark Wilson or Montserrat International attacking midfielder Jamie Craggs have clubs prepared to take then, even on Free Transfers. Both players agree to mutually termination of their deals, and are paid £1,000 each to leave the club. Of the ten remaining players who have been told they can go, only two don't currently have offers that have been accepted by the club.

Airdrie United hosted Hamilton Academical this evening in the First Leg of the Promotion Playoff Final at New Broomfield. They managed to do what we couldn't, finding the net just after half time through Paul Di Giacomo. It was short lived though, as James Collins equalised within two minutes, and Airdrie suffered from a few first half injuries. Collins would score again with five minutes remaining, and it's advantage Hamilton going into Saturday afternoon's Second Leg.

Thursday 17th May
The squad are now on holiday for a month, with pre-season training for the 2012/13 season due to begin on the 18th June. Another player has left the club, though this one was expected, as it's on loan striker Craig Fisher, who has returned to his parent club, Kilmarnock. His loan spell with us would have to be classed as largely unsuccessful. 

Friday 18th May
Make that now just one player without an offer, as another moves closer to the exit door at Somerset Park. Meanwhile, we are starting to cast an eye over some players that we are interested in ourselves.

Saturday 19th May
Another goal from James Collins at New Douglas Park with less than a quarter of an hour on the clock had Hamilton Academical in a very strong position against Airdrie United. But just four minutes after the goal, Andy Welsh received a straight red card, and Airdrie roared back in the second half, as strikes within seven minutes of each other from Marc Smyth and Graeme Sharp had the Second Division side level on aggregate, and extra time looking likely. It wasn't to be however, as they committed too many forward trying to snatch a winner, and Reuben Hazell netted a header with ten minutes left to preserve the Accies status as a First Division club.

Sunday 20th May
It's going to be a busy summer for Guinea's Under-19 squad, and Alex Owen has been called up for their Friendly against The Congo is midweek, which will take place in Conakry.

Monday 21st May
Two more are on their way out of the door, with Jason Gillespie agreeing to drop down a Division and join Queen's Park on a Free Transfer, while midfielder Adan Newbury will drop to an even lower level, as he signs a contract to play for Non-League club Linlithgow Rose. Both deals will be completed on the 11th June, and that's a further £220 a week take off the wage bill.

Tuesday 22nd May
Another deal has also been agreed to be completed on the same date, and this time, it's a player moving up a level. St Johnstone will be back in the First Division next season after finishing bottom of the Scottish Premier League this season, and they will have a new member of their squad arriving in a few weeks. 20 year old USA Under-20 International full back Patrick Otte failed to make an appearance for us after joining on a Free following his release by Middlesbrough last summer. Now St Johnstone have paid £2,000 for his signature, and we drop another £80 from our wage budget for a player who has yet to make his Senior debut at Club level.

He will have a familiar face as a team mate at his new club too, as within a few hours, St Johnstone confirm a second signing from ourselves that will take place when the Transfer Window opens. This time it's striker Sean Fitzharris who has agreed to move on, and they will pay £3,000 for the 20 year old former Celtic youngster. While he didn't get a real run in the First Team for us, he did make four League starts in our colours. Another £70 a week disappears from our expense sheet.

The queue for the door continues, and the next to step through it and head south of the border is Turkish midfielder Coskun Ekim. It was a fairly miserable time in Scotland for the former Tottenham Hotspur youngster, who is another who failed to make his Senior debut during his time at Somerset Park. He will move on to York City, who have just won the Blue Square North Title, and are going to look to be competitive in the Blue Square Premier next season. That's £230 saved on the weekly wage budget today.

That total for today soon becomes £400 saved, as David Meyler is the next to clear out his locker and make preparations to leave the club, and in his case, the country. The Irish midfielder who joined us after being released by Sunderland, is returning to England and joining Kettering Town, who have just finished rock bottom of the Coca-Cola League Two, and will be up against Coskun Ekim and his new York City side in the Blue Square Premier next season. While Meyler did a decent job at times, the arrival of Magnus Eikrem spelled the end for him with us, and we could no longer consider justifying his £170 a week salary.

In what was becoming a monster day for players leaving the club, it would be Chris Maxwell next. The 20 year old former Scotland Under-19 International right winger arrived late last summer following his release from Dundee. He had expected to get into the First Team side quite comfortably, but reckoned without the form and persistence of Peggy Lokando, and much less the later arrival of Richal Leitoe. His £50 a week contract was due to expire next summer, but he is setting off to pastures new, as he signs on a Free Transfer for Welsh club Caernarfon Town, who are managed by 53 times capped Republic of Ireland and Liverpool legend, Ronnie Whelan.

That's enough for one day surely? Maybe just one more. The other striker who arrived and didn't match his billing was former Stoke City youngster Adam Vickers. He scored freely for the Reserve side, leading them to their Group 3 Title success, but couldn't produce the same form in the First Team. He will be moving up a level though, joining a Ross County side who only just avoided the Relegation Playoff spot in the First Division, finishing a single point in front of Hamilton Academical. They have coughed up £3,000 as a Transfer Fee for the striker who we were paying £80 a week.

Wednesday 23rd May
Daryl Fordyce misses out on the 'Ayr United Cull of 2012', but only by a day. This morning, the Ulster forward has signed for Clyde for £3,000 as we continue to clear the decks at Somerset Park. It was a very up and down time with us for the 24 year old, who got the goals that fired us in the Promotion Playoffs last season after both of our arrivals, but missed so many chances in the early part of this campaign that he was shipped out on loan to Swindon Town. It didn't happen for him there either, and when he returned to us late in January, he did get back into the side, but failed to find the net for the rest of the season. Clyde finished mid pack as they adjusted to life back in the second tier following a season in the SPL, and it will be interesting to see what they are going to pay him when he joins them officially on June 11th. He was one of our top earners at £325 a week, and I'm not sorry to get that money back into the wage budget.

Thursday 24th May
Guinea Under-19's record a win in their Friendly International against The Congo in Conakry. The winner came 8 minutes from time, and while Alex Owen didn't get one of the goals, he had a very good game partnering Pascal Diawara up front.

Sunday 27th May
The domestic season may be over, and the summer about to start, but the football continues for two of our players. Goalkeeper Zannetos Mytides is called up to the Cyprus Under-21 squad for their Friendly against Qatar in Larnaka. There is also a place in the Wales Under-21 squad for left back Paul Dummett, who will travel to Tallinn with the squad to play in the Friendly against Estonia.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday 1st June 2012
Some good news to start the month, and while the Board still feel that I should be doing a slightly better job at the club, my job doesn't appear to be in danger, as I'm officially listed as 'Stable' right now. A profit for the month of May of nearly £50,000 will undoubtedly have helped that situation.

Paul Dummett earned his 12th cap for Wales at Under-21 level this evening, playing the full ninety minutes in the 1-1 draw with Estonia in Tallinn. 17 year old Kilmarnock youngster Jamie Beresford gave Wales the lead inside a minute, only to see the scoring completed when Estonia equalised in the 19th minute. Dummett played pretty well at left back for The Dragons.

Sunday 3rd June
Alex Owen will be hoping to be part of the Guinea Under-19's side once again this week as they have a double header of away Friendly matches. First up, it will be Ivory Coast in Abidjan, followed by a return match against The Congo in Brazzaville.

Our Pre-Season Friendly fixtures have been arranged, and I'm quietly impressed with the job that the club have done. We start with away fixtures against a pair of Non-League clubs, Bathgate Thistle and Deveronvale, my only complaint there being that they are very close together, Monday followed by the Wednesday. We then ramp things right up, with two home fixtures. The first will see us host Derby County, who have just been relegated down to Coca-Cola League Two, followed by our 'glamour friendly', as we host German giants, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim. We will complete the schedule with another away trip, this time to play Blue Square Premier club, Cambridge United.

Monday 4th June
Belgium and Holland are the lucky recipients of an extra place in the UEFA Europa League this season as a result of the draw. Serbia also get an extra place as a result of their top of the table finish in the Sporting Play table.

Friday 8th June
Alex Owen plays 73 minutes for Guinea Under-19's in a 2-1 defeat against the age group side of Ivory Coast. He didn't get on the scoresheet, and I'm hoping he can find the net against The Congo next time out.

Saturday 9th June
On the day that the UEFA 2012 European Championships gets underway in Poland and the Ukraine, it's being reported that one of London's clubs are in dire financial straits. Charlton Athletic finished 18th in Coca-Cola League One, and they got through the season without falling into administration, which is just as well, as the points deduction would have dropped them into the relegation zone. There are no concrete figures available for their debt right now, though £18m is a figure being banded about and a Board takeover is rumoured to be underway, but the noises from The Valley are not encouraging. Right now, Charlton are bankrupt, and in receivership, with players starting to ask the question if they are going to get paid on time, or at all. The vultures are starting to circle the better players they have so far held onto, and I'm monitoring the situation as much as any other club. There is no room for sentiment in football when you promise your own Chairman that you can get promoted.

Monday 11th June
The Transfer Window is open. Pre-Season is really about to get started!

Thursday 14th June
Guinea Under-19's complete a double over The Congo with a 1-0 win in Brazzaville. But while Alex Owen played the full match, he won't be happy with his performance, missing a host of chances to get his name on the scoresheet.

Saturday 16th June
A striker who can find the net regularly and shoot us to the promotion that I keep promising is still the target, despite the imminent arrival of Danny Carey-Bertram from AFC Telford United. We have offered a contract to a proven goalscorer in the Scottish Leagues, but Partick Thistle man Liam Buchanan has knocked us back, and will instead sign for Livingston.

That's the second knock back we have had, as we also miss out on Devann Yao. The American/Ivorian striker from New York did a decent enough job for us last season when he joined us on loan, and we were hoping to get him in on a full time deal when his contract with St Mirren expired. But he has decided to sign a new two year deal with them. The door could still be open to bring him in on loan again though.

Tuesday 19th June
In his first year at the club, centre midfielder Ryan McStay has been announced as the Ayr United Player of the Year for 2011/12 by the fans, edging out Olafur Örn Bjarnason. The clubs Best Eleven for the season was predominantly the side that finished the campaign for us, except on the wings, where Peggy Lokando and James McLean are favoured ahead of Richal Leitoe and Shaun Holmes. I can't explain how Mark Roberts was included, but it confirms the sad state of affairs we are currently dealing with up front. Seven of our 2011/12 squad were inducted into the clubs Best Overall Eleven, and prepare for some shocks, as Fordyce and McLean are both included amongst the substitutes. Stephen Grindlay, Ciaran Foy, Aidan O'Kane, Olafur Örn Bjarnason, Peggy Lokando, Ryan McStay and Ryan Stevenson from our current squad are all in the starting eleven.

The next generation of Ayr United players have arrived at Somerset Park this week as well. It's a disappointingly small group of just seven players, which includes three goalkeepers, Garry Robertson, Robert Thomson and Keith Motion. I'm not over excited by any of them, though my Assistant Manager believes Robertson to be one of the best players Ayr have had in the Youth Team for years. For me, he is slightly too short at 5'11, and has a fairly high mark for a quality I hate in goalkeepers, eccentricity. Of the remaining four, sixteen year old local lad Sean Dunn looks the most exciting by far. He's an attack minded right back, who can actually operate anywhere down the right flank. The remaining trio are defensive midfielder Bryan Jarvie, centre midfielder Neil Bell, and attacking midfielder Kevin McBride.

Saturday 23rd June
It has been a frustrating week in our attempts to improve our squad quality and depth. Several early attempts to get players to commit to a season here on loan were doomed to failure, with the players either not interested, or accepting offers elsewhere that they preferred. Even players who have previously thrived under my management are not too keen, with Lurgan Celtic striker Jordan Baker not exactly refusing to discuss terms with his contract about to expire, but clearly stating that he didn't consider it his best option, and he wasn't sure we could meet his financial demands.

Sunday 24th June
Our first new signing of this summer finally happens this lunchtime, though it will likely be considered a minor one. It is absolutely a budget one, as the newcomer is going to cost us just £45 per week in wages. 19 year old right back Stephen Brooks is from near my neck of the woods, Newport, and has spent the last three seasons at Swansea City. He failed to make his Senior debut for the Swans, but did earn his first cap for Wales Under-21's. He balances good pace with understanding of the positioning needed to succeed as a full back, and he is very capable of providing a good cross as well. It's only a one year deal for now, but let's see if Brooks can challenge for a First Team spot.

Tuesday 26th June
Our attempts to improve our options in the back four continue today, as we snatch the signature of a centre back, and better yet, it's from one of our Division rivals. In fact, it's a return to Somerset Park for 29 year old Marc Smyth, who played here for 4 seasons between 2001/02 and 2004/05. He was a regular here for three of those seasons, before moving on to Partick Thistle for a season, and then having six years with Airdrie United. Despite amassing plenty of games for Airdrie, he never really managed to nail down a spot with them, and a huge falling out with Kenny Black last summer meant that he didn't plan on renewing his contract. Born in Edinburgh, but a Northern Irishman, he started his career with Blackpool, and is just two matches short of 300 League games in his career. He has jumped at the chance to return to one of his favourite clubs. The six footer who will turn 30 just after Christmas is a strong and aggressive defender who will be looking to break up the partnership of Uddin and Bjarnason.

Friday 29th June
For the first time in my career, eyes have been cast in my direction, and a job offer has been received to jump ship. I've been headhunted! Granted, the club are not a household name, not even in their own nation, but they would still be a step up, especially on a financial level. Sparta Krc are a professional club from the Czech Republic that have just been promoted into the Second Division for the first time since 2007/08, when they were relegated straight back down. They are based in Prague, and play in the 19,032 seater Evzena Rosickeho Stadium, which was built in 1978. They enjoy a fierce rivalry with Dukla Prague, who they are delighted to have just replaced in the second tier, and without an interview or show of interest from me, they offer me the job. Two years, paying £600 a week, and they just want to stay up in 2012/13. With a Transfer Budget of £40,000, and a weekly Wage Budget almost three times the one I had at Ayr last season, projected to be £14,000 per week, it's a difficult offer to ignore. But for now, I do just that. I'm not sure if it's the wrong club, but it is the wrong time. I haven't fulfilled what I promised at Somerset Park yet, and this isn't a big enough job to convince me to leave it half done. I'll admit to being intrigued by future opportunities in Eastern Europe though.

**Just to give you all a heads up, as I play further forward, we might be about to run into a problem. I'm now heading towards late July, and as yet, the domestic League games have not been scheduled in Scotland. Everywhere else appears to be fine, but there does seem to be an issue north of the border. This isn't something I've ever encountered before in FM'09. I will keep you posted.**

---------------------------------------------------------------

Life In Lurgan - The 2011/12 Season Review

My former club will play their first ever campaign in the top tier of Northern Irish football, in their 108th year of existence. Graham McConnell continues in the management role, with Maurice McEvoy still the Chairman at Knockramer Park. They prepare for the campaign by bringing in five new faces on Free Transfer deals, the best of them probably John Paul Gallagher, a 29 year old left back who signs from Linfield, and Brendan Lowe who is 24 and can play on the right wing or as a striker, and arrives from Ards. There are some major moves out of the door for the club as well, including Andy Hamilton who moved to England to play for Farnborough, fellow midfielders Niall Lavery and Aidan Sweeney along with veteran Willie Boland, the Lithuanian left back Martynas Kubeckis, and strikers Alex Owen who moved to Ayr United in Scotland, and Raymond Fitzpatrick. The latter netted fifteen league goals in three seasons for Lurgan, and would end up back in the second tier at Limavady United, where he would have a very good season with 18 goals in all competitions.

Four points from the opening three matches, including a home draw with Glentoran, the reigning Champions, set up Lurgan nicely. They would then go on a six match unbeaten run in the League that included home wins over Cliftonville, Distillery and Glenavon, combined with three away draws. But as Cup matches started to stretch their squad, the League form became more inconsistent heading into November, though the defeats were almost always on their travels, albeit heavy ones at perennial challengers such as Glentoran and Linfield. That patchy form would worsen throughout the remainder of 2011, but the Cup form was good for a club that have built a bit of a reputation for exactly that, but a run of five League matches without a win saw Celtic start to fall back towards the midfield. An early January win over Crusaders was a relief, but Cetlic would go right back onto another poor run, with just a single win in the next nine matches that took them into early March, this time not even able to blame the Cups, as they were now out of each of them. That run would be halted with a spectacular 4-0 thumping of the floundering Champions from Glentoran, and despite not winning again until mid April, back to back wins at home over Glebe and Crusaders made Celtic safe from any relegation fears, and ready for another season in the top flight next year. The undoubted star of the show for Celtic was the unsettled Bermudan striker, Neil Brown. The 22 year old scored 15 times in 45 matches in all competitions, the only player in the squad to reach double figures, though he was supported by Lukasz Adamczyk with nine, plus David Sinton and Jordan Baker, who scored eight each. Progress next season will surely depend on keeping Brown, who is now attracting less interest than he has previously, or adequately replacing him if the dreadlocked forward does move on.

The Northern Irish FA Cup was a source of disappointment for the club, as they lost away to Distillery in Round Five. There was more disappointment to come in the Mid Ulster Cup that the club were one of the favourites for, as they were dumped out on penalties at home to Glenavon in the Quarter-Finals, a match where goalkeeper Dean Kiely was red carded before half time. The League Cup was the competition that produced the clubs best performance in the Knockout competitions this season, though that would also end in disappointment. They received a favourable home Semi-Final draw against Glentoran, but with the score at 1-1 and less than five minutes to play, Alex Keddie scored and put Celtic out.

It's unclear how many of the current Lurgan Celtic squad will remain at Knockramer Park for next season, though they know they will be losing Conor McAnallen, the five year Celtic man who went through the Leagues with the club will be moving on to Portadown when his contract expires after 104 League appearances. There is the very real possibility that both Sinton and Baker could also move on, which is unlikely to make Brown any happier to remain with the club.
-------------------------------------------

UEFA 2012 European Championship Finals Review
Hosts :- Poland & Ukraine. Holders :- Spain

The Qualifiers
51 nations from across the Continent began the Qualifying process back in early September 2010, a process that would take around 13 months and would see each nation play either 12 or 14 matches in an attempt to reach the top two of their 7 or 8 nation Group and join the two host nations (Poland and Ukraine) already Qualified, with even Spain, the reigning Champions, subjected to the process.

For some, the process would be reasonably straightforward, Russia and Portugal ruling the roost in Group A, losing only one match apiece, and that was against each other, refusing to give Switzerland, Slovenia, or the army of ex Russian states a look in. For others, like Holland in Group B, things didn't quite go to plan. They lost their opener in Austria, and then only just squeezed past Malta in Valletta. Fast forward almost a year, and after getting themselves back into contention, a 4-1 thumping in Zagreb with an early treble in quarter of an hour laid waste to the Oranje hopes of a second Dutch continental crown, with Croatia and Romania booking their places.

In Group C, there were a pair of defeats for England, at home to Slovakia, and away to Serbia. But in a Group that wasn't packed full of quality and where nations were constantly taking points from each other, they still Qualified easily, and wrapped up the Group win shortly after. Serbia joined them fairly quickly, leaving Montenegro, Slovakia, Greece and Bosnia-Herzegovina scrapping for pride. Group D hosted the only 100% record to be found in the Qualifying Groups, with Italy booking their place in style with twelve out of twelve, conceding just six goals. They also caused a fatal blow to Norway's hopes in the penultimate round of games, and Turkey took advantage to steal the runner's-up spot in the Group. As for the 'Golden Generation' of footballers in Belgium, well, not so Golden after all it seems, as they floundered in a distant fourth place with just four wins from twelve. They lost in Belarus, were thrashed in Italy, and were held to a draw at home by Albania. But their biggest humiliation was a 2-0 defeat in Liechtenstein.

In Group E, there were a pair of standout favourites in the form of Germany and Sweden, which on it's own would make Northern Ireland's task a difficult one. They started well, earning a credible draw in Belfast against Sweden, and then a thumping victory in Israel. But failure to win in the FYR Macedonia, followed by a predictable but close home defeat to Germany left them chasing. They got themselves back in contention, beating Latvia away, then Azerbaijan and Macedonia at home. But they would still have to get something from their away matches against the big two. It didn't even get that far, as a home defeat to Israel meant the writing was on the wall before they were beaten in Stockholm against the eventual Group winners, the Germans not far behind.

There was further home nation interest in Group F, but no one fancied Scotland's chances in a Group that also included Spain, Denmark and the Republic of Ireland. That would prove to be correct as well, as the Tartan Army won just one of their opening five, while Ireland beat Denmark in Dublin, and would then take a point in Copenhagen too. A superb late campaign victory over Spain in the Irish capital left Ireland knowing that Denmark would need to win in Jerez. They didn't, and the Irish joined the holders in the Finals. Finally, in Group G, the good start by Wales with wins in the Faroe Islands and against Bulgaria in Cardiff only raised hopes of another new dawn in Welsh football. Slim double header defeats in France and then against the Czech Republic in Cardiff left the Dragons chasing forlornly again. A defeat in Finland made wins against the Faroe's and Cyprus almost irrelevant, and their last say in Qualification would be a win against the French in Cardiff that simply allowed the Czech's to top the Group.

Ironically, it was Klass Jan-Huntelaar of the missing out Dutch side that was the top scorer in Qualifying, closely followed by Eduardo, the Brazilian with the Croatian passport. A trio of players very well known in the UK followed behind them, Robbie Keane of Spurs and Ireland notched twelve times, as did Preston striker Ched Evans for Wales, a campaign that would earn the striker a dream move to Manchester United this summer as a consolation prize for missing out on the Finals. They were followed by Kyle Lafferty of Rangers and Northern Ireland, who found the net eleven times during Qualifying.

The Finals.
Qualifiers :- Poland (Joint Host Nation), Ukraine (Joint Host Nation), Croatia, Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, Turkey.

First Round

Group A (France, Poland, Romania, Russia)
The general consensus was that host nation Poland would need to beat Romania in their opening match to stand a chance of reaching the Quarter-Finals. They didn't, managing only a draw in Wroclaw thanks to Robert Lewandowski's equaliser. And while the French lost to Russia in their first game, they would go on to comfortably beat Romania and Poland to progress, while Russia were unfazed by their loss to the joint hosts, winning their final match to top the Group

1st - Russia (Q) 6pts, 2nd - France (Q) 6pts, 3rd - Poland 4 pts, 4th - Romania 1pt.
----------------------

Group B (Czech Republic, England, Turkey, Ukraine)
There would be no such problems for the other joint hosts, as Ukraine progressed serenely through Group B. They started with a 1-0 win over the Czech's in Donetsk, scoring their winner moments after being reduced to ten men with a red card. Then in Odesa, they inflicted a fatal wound to the hopes of England, a goal in each half giving them a 2-0 win against an English side that had beaten Turkey in their opener. With the Czech's beating Turkey in the other game, there was all to play for in the final match. A draw was plenty for Ukraine against Turkey, and it turned out to be enough for the Czech's when their draw with England also produced a stalemate.

1st - Ukraine (Q) 7pts, 2nd - Czech Republic (Q) 4pts, 3rd - England 4pts, 4th - Turkey 1pt.
-----------------------

Group C (Croatia, Italy, Portugal, Republic of Ireland)
The progress of the Italians through Qualifying was impressive, and they were nothing short of that in Group C, as they continued their progress with ruthless efficiency. A 1-0 win over Portugal was followed by a 2-0 win over the Irish. They did concede a goal against Croatia in their final match, but Mario Balotelli notched a winner in Wroclaw, and disposed of the East Europeans, who had beaten Ireland, and then lost a 4-3 thriller to Portugal. That meant a Portugal win over the Irish would see them Qualify, and they won 4-1 in Poznan, despite falling behind early to a Robbie Keane goal. Cristiano Ronaldo netted twice against both Croatia and Ireland, and this form, anything could happen for Portugal.

1st - Italy (Q) 9 pts, 2nd - Portugal (Q) 6pts, 3rd - Croatia 3pts, 4th - Republic of Ireland 0pts.
----------------------

Group D (Germany, Serbia, Spain, Sweden)
Sweden and Serbia will undoubtedly by cursing their luck at being drawn with two of Europe's football superpowers, and the Swedes had already dealt with the Germans in Qualifying. But while Sweden were soundly beaten by the reigning Champions from Spain, the Serbians boosted their hopes with a 2-2 draw with Germany in Odesa. Their hopes were further boosted when they took an early lead against Spain next time out. But Sergio Ramos, and then Cesc Fàbregas late on righted the football hierarchy. The game in Kiev followed an almost identical path, Ola Toivonen's goal cancelled out by Lukas Podolski before half time, and then Miroslav Klose netted the late winner. The Germans were still at risk going into their final Group match with Spain, but the 1-1 draw, with both goals coming within a minute of each other, was mutually beneficial, and rendered Sweden's win over Serbia pointless.

1st - Spain (Q) 7pts, 2nd - Germany (Q) 5pts, 3rd - Sweden 3pts, 4th - Serbia 1pt.
---------------------

Quarter-Finals

The pairings of the last eight were unfortunate, as the two matches that would immediately stand out as superb Semi-Finals, would actually be Quarter-Final ties. We started with a match that would set up one of the lesser likely last four combatants. In front of a packed house in Warszawa, it would be Russia getting the best of the Czech Republic with a goal in each half, firstly from Manchester City wing back Yury Zhirkov, and then from Bayer Leverkusen's hotshot striker, Alexandr Kerzhakov. The following day would produce a shock that would delight the near 80,000 in the Olympiyskyi in Kiev. Goals within five minutes of each other from Anatoliy Tymoschuk and Yoann Gourcuff meant Ukraine and France couldn't be separated, even after an additional thirty minutes. In the first penalty shoot-out of the tournament, Karim Benzema and Gourcuff missed, and the French would be on their way home, while the Ukraine would move onto the last four.

The weekend arrived, and produced two mouth watering ties, starting on Saturday, as Italy and Germany would write another chapter in their storied history of major tournament matches. It wasn't a thriller for the people of Chorzow, but it was an absorbing watch, that was settled by Chelsea striker Alberto Paloschi, who justified his selection with a 70th minute winner. That would be followed by Sunday's final Quarter-Final fixture, and the 'Iberian Derby', as Portugal pinned it's hopes of dethroning the Champions on one Cristiano Ronaldo. Not today. The Spanish dominated, and goals from David Villa, Cesc Fàbregas, Andrés Iniesta and Fernando Torres brought them a 4-0 victory.
---------------------------

Semi-Finals

So it would be fair to say that Russia were not the popular team amongst the neutral supporters in Kiev, who were probably just wondering why their own nation, who had won their Group, were playing their Semi-Final tie the following day nearly 500 miles away in Warsaw. Doubtless of course, The Proclaimer fans amongst them would have just walked there. Still, the people of Kiev would likely have been delighted when after 93 minutes of almost turgid action, Valencia forward José Antonio Reyes popped up to net an injury time winner. Russia were out, and the Spanish would go to the Final once again, sending them to their third major Final in a four year spell.

If seeing their rivals dumped out of a tournament they had convinced themselves they were going to win was a good day for the people of Ukraine, there was a chance to trump it the following day across the border in Poland. There, they would face the Italians, who were the huge favourites to progress to the Final, and give UEFA a Final fixture that the whole world would want to watch. But the Italians were 'out-Italianed' if you like. In a match with even possession, because neither side particularly wanted the ball, the match developed into a decidedly less exciting version of a game of chess. Goalless after ninety minutes, the most exciting thing that happened was a rather large rain shower. Not insignificant as it happened, as four minutes into the extra time session, Domenico Criscito slipped, and Metalist Kharkiv forward Denys Oliynyk pounced, netting the only goal of the game. The frustration of the Italians compounded by Daniele De Rossi's sending off for a second yellow card.
----------------------------

The Final

Chorzow was a strange choice to host the finale of this tournament, the Stadion Slaski holding less than 48,000, which wasn't great news for the thousands and thousands of Ukraine fans who crossed the border for what they hoped would be an historic moment for their country, not just in football terms either. In the last two years they have won, and then placed as runner's up in Europe in the Under-19 age group. Was their success at the age group level about to transcend itself into Senior football? On this occasion, sadly not for the Ukrainians, as a goal from Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso two minutes into the second half rewrote history in itself, as Spain became the first nation to ever retain the European Football Championships. They would be hoping to repeat the feat on the World stage in two years time in Brazil, in their bid to emulate the Italians of the 1930's, and Brazilians of the 50's and 60's.

Golden Boot
1st :- Eduardo (Croatia - 5 goals), 2nd :- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal - 4 goals),  3rd :- Alberto Paloschi (Italy - 3 goals)

Player of the Tournament
1st :- Eduardo (Croatia - 8.00), 2nd :- Gerard Piqué (Spain - 7.67), 3rd :- Cesc Fàbregas (Spain - 7.17)

Dream Team (4-4-2) :-
Iker Casillas (Spain)
Sergio Ramos (Spain), Gerard Piqué (Spain), Alessandro Gamberini (Italy), Iván Marcano (Spain),
Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Cesc Fàbregas (Spain), Andrés Iniesta (Spain), Samir Nasri (France),
Alberto Paloschi (Italy), Eduardo (Croatia)

Substitutes :-
Rustam Khudzhamov (Ukraine), Xavi (Spain), Alan Dzagoev (Russia), Anatoliy Tymoschuk (Ukraine), Stefan Kießling (Germany), Ayila Yussuf (Ukraine), Hélder Postiga (Portugal), David Villa (Spain), Lars Bender (Germany), Xabi Alonso (Spain), Alexandr Kerzhakov (Russia), Bacary Sagna (France).

2011/12 Season Review
(*I am of course happy to accommodate requests for players, teams and leagues to be included in reviews*)

UK
Scotland

Clydesdale Bank Premier League
Champions :- Celtic (71 pts). Runner's-Up :- Aberdeen (71 pts)
Relegated :- St Johnstone (31 pts)
Top Scorers :- Nejc Pecnik (Aberdeen - 21 goals), Jamie Murphy (Motherwell - 20 goals), Jan Venegoor of Hesslink (Celtic - 19 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Nejc Pecnik (Aberdeen - 7.52), Jan Venegoor of Hesslink (Celtic - 7.42), Jan Kozak (Dundee United - 7.39)

Oh Rangers, what have you done?! After an Old Firm win over Celtic, the Gers held a four point lead over Aberdeen with two matches remaining. But the Ibrox club capitulated spectacularly, losing both of those final matches. Aberdeen needed only to win their home match with Dundee United to snatch their first Title since 1985, breaking the Old Firm dominance at the same time. They drew, and Celtic won at home to Hibernian to take the Title by a single goal after all three clubs finished on the same points. Rangers finish third, and miss out on a UEFA Champions League spot. At the bottom, St Johnstone became the latest club to find the gap from the First Division into the SPL too great to bridge, but they put up a strong fight, relegated with a game to play after a defeat at St Mirren and a win for Falkirk, who didn't capitalise on last season's great campaign. Just like Clyde before them, St Johnstone spent no money improving their squad after moving into the top tier.

Scottish First Division
Champions :- Dunfermline Athletic (69 pts). Runner's-Up :- Dundee (64 pts)
Relegation Playoffs :- Hamilton Academical beat Airdrie United 4-3 on aggregate in the Final
Relegated :- Alloa Athletic (17 pts)
Top Scorers :- Kayode Odejayi (Morton - 18 goals), Calvin Zola (QotS - 15 goals), Armand One (Livingston - 15 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Calvin Zola (QotS - 7.23), Dougie Imrie (Dunfermline - 7.23), Kayode Odejayi (Morton - 7.22)

A draw at Dens Park for Dunfermline Athletic in the penultimate match of the season left The Pars as the Champions, and the next First Division side to get a crack at cutting it in the SPL. There were three teams in the hunt for the majority of the season, with Queen of the South also involved, while last seasons relegated side Clyde couldn't manage any more than a mid table finish. At the bottom, promoted sides Livingston and Alloa Athletic had vastly different seasons. Livingston competed well, though did get dragged towards the Relegation Playoff late in the season. But they were never in contention to go down automatically, a place that was only ever going to be filled by Alloa. They were hopelessly out of their depth, finishing 24 points adrift at the bottom with just three wins and 24 goals all season.

Scottish Second Division
Champions :- Partick Thistle (73 points)
Promotion Playoffs :- Arbroath (67 pts), Ayr United (62 pts), Airdrie United (62 pts)
Relegation Playoffs :- Cowdenbeath (29 pts) *Not contested*
Relegated :- East Stirlingshire (28 pts)
Top Scorers :- Stephen McPhee (Partick - 16 goals), Liam Buchanan (Partick - 15 goals), Marlon Jackson (Airdrie - 15 goals)
Top Average Ratings :- Jonathan Hayes (Partick - 7.27), Liam Buchanan (Partick - 7.27), Gary Harkins (Partick - 7.26)

After last seasons walkover from Livingston, it was a much closer season in the third tier, with Partick Thistle securing the Title on the last day though they were the best side in the Division all season. The Promotion Playoffs were keenly fought, but none of the sides from the third tier could earn promotion, with Hamilton Academicals retaining their place in the First Division. At the bottom, East Stirlingshire suffered final day heartbreak, as a home defeat saw them overtaken by Cowdenbeath and relegated to the third tier. And Cowdenbeath had another reason to be cheerful, as the first sign of a glitch in the game seems to have reared it's head with the Relegation Playoff against the three clubs from the Third Division not appearing to have been played. I'll update that should it change in the future.

Scottish Third Division
Champions :- Berwick Rangers (69 pts)
Promotion Playoffs :- Forfar Athletic (61 pts), Stranraer (59 pts), Albion Rovers (49 pts) *Not Contested*
Bottom of the Table :- Stenhousemuir (41 pts), Montrose (31 pts)
Top Scorers :- Niall Cooke (Forfar - 23 goals), Sean Ekon (Dumbarton - 15 goals), Ricky Sappleton (Berwick - 15 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Niall Cooke (Forfar - 7.19), Sean Connolly (Stenhousemuir - 7.05), Matty Blinkhorn (Stranraer - 6.94)

Relegated last season, Berwick Rangers bounce right back up into the third tier with an outstanding run of form that saw them go unbeaten from the week before Christmas through the remainder of the season, led by strike duo Ricky Sappelton and Ian Daly, who notched 15 League goals apiece. Albion Rovers did their best to throw away their Promotion Playoff spot, failing to win any of their last three matches, including a defeat against nearest challengers Dumbarton. Maybe they knew the SFA had apparently decided not to bother with the Playoffs this season. Montrose dropped back twelve points from last season, while Stranraer hauled themselves well away from the bottom with a 21 point improvement.

Scottish FA Cup
Celtic beat Rangers 1-0 after extra time at Hampden Park, Glasgow

Scottish League Cup
Celtic beat Rangers 3-2 at Hampden Park, Glasgow

Scottish League Challenge Cup
Raith Rovers beat Ayr United 3-2 after extra time at Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld
----------

England
Barclays Premier League
Champions :- Arsenal (81 pts), Runner's-Up :- Manchester United (78 pts)
Best of the Rest :- Chelsea (76 pts), Newcastle United (71 pts), Liverpool (60 pts)
Relegated :- Wigan Athletic (33 pts), Leicester City (25 pts), Preston North End (23 pts)
Top Scorers :- Michael Owen (Newcastle - 25 goals), Carlos Tevez (Man United - 18 goals), James McFadden (Sunderland - 18 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Michael Owen (Newcastle United - 7.80), Carlos Tevez (Manchester United - 7.70), Robinho (Man City - 7.52)

Arsenal retain their Premier League crown, with Manchester United the nearest challengers this time. The Gunners had just one new arrival, Hatem Ben Arfa for £20m from Real Madrid, and he would make just one start in the League and a handful of appearances from the bench. Two of the promoted sides would make their stay in the Premier League a brief one, with the writing on the wall pretty early for both Preston North End and Leicester City. The top scorer in the league would once more reside in the North East, this time it was Michael Owen who turned in a superb season that won Newcastle United a Champions League place and the striker a recall to the England squad.

Coca-Cola Championship
Champions :- Birmingham City (86 pts), Runner's-Up :- Reading (83 pts)
Playoff Winners :- Ipswich Town (75 pts)
Also In Playoffs :- Portsmouth (82 pts), Nottingham Forest (80 pts), Sheffield Wednesday (74 pts)
Relegated :- Burnley (48 pts), Norwich City (40 pts), Cardiff City (39 pts)
Top Scorers :- Frazier Campbell (Portsmouth - 28 goals), Steven Davies (Doncaster - 22 goals), Andrew Keogh (Wolves - 22 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Daryl Murphy (Hull - 7.27), Frazier Campbell (Portsmouth - 7.26), Peter Crouch (Portsmouth - 7.25)

Birmingham City return straight back to the Premier League at the first attempt under club legend Trevor Francis, and will be joined by Reading, who pushed them all the way in a superb Title race. They wouldn't be joined by Portsmouth though, who failed to make it a clean sweep of first attempt promoted clubs when they lost in the Playoff Final to Ipswich Town in extra time after playing much of the match with ten men after keeper David Marshall was shown a straight red card. At the other end of the table, Cardiff City in their first season back in the Championship, and Norwich City, who would've been expected to be much further up the table, were both some way off the pace. Anyone of six could have gone down with them on the last day, but Burnley's loss at Swansea left them below the dotted line after Watford managed to come up with a final day relegation saving victory.

Coca-Cola League One
Champions :- Brighton & Hove Albion (93 pts), Runner's-Up :- Milton Keynes Dons (84 pts)
Playoff Winners :- Coventry City (81 pts)
Also In Playoffs :- Leyton Orient (81 pts), Oldham Athletic (79 pts), Barnsley (78 pts)
Relegated :- Derby County (45 pts), Chesterfield (44 pts), Grimsby Town (43 pts), Bristol Rovers (41 pts)
Top Scorers :- Idir Ouali (Huddersfield - 24 goals), Steven MacLean (Plymouth - 24 goals), Roberto Platero (Coventry - 22 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Youssouf Toure (MK Dons - 7.32), Lee Barnard (Oldham - 7.31), Steven MacLean (Plymouth - 7.29)

There was a certain symmetry from last season in England's third tier when all involved in the Playoffs last season were involved in the Title race this season. Brighton ran away with the Title in the end, and MK Dons managed to nudge out a few others to go right up automatically. Coventry fell apart late in the season last year, but not this time, as they go up to the Championship after winning at Oakwell to dispose of Barnsley after looking second favourites when they shipped a couple of away goal in the First Leg. There were no doubts at Wembley though, as they beat Oldham convincingly. The excitement continued at the bottom of the table, and the symmetry too a certain degree. All four of the clubs promoted into the Division flirted with the drop, and two, Chesterfield and Grimsby would fall back into the Football League's basement. Yeovil made a late surge up the table, while Swindon escaped the drop with two games to go. Derby County almost made a miraculous escape, but they ultimately couldn't pull off the great escape, and the club who were once one of the best in the country, if not Europe, will play in the Football League's basement next season.

Coca-Cola League Two
Champions :- Luton Town (87 pts), Runner's-Up :- Burton Albion (81 pts) Also Promoted :- Shrewsbury Town (77 pts)
Playoff Winners :- Cheltenham Town (73 pts)
Also In Playoffs :- Rochdale (77 pts), Rotherham United (77 pts), Bradford City (73 pts)
Relegated :- Bury (39 pts), Kettering Town (39 pts)
Top Scorers :- Aleksandar Prijovic (Cheltenham - 29 goals), Shaun Harrad (Burton - 26 goals), Chris Dagnall (Rochdale - 26 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Shaun Harrad (Burton - 7.38), Tom Craddock (Luton Town - 7.33), Aleksandar Prijovic (Cheltenham - 7.32)

After avoiding the drop with a huge point deduction, just missing the Playoffs and then being beaten in the Playoffs, there is a conclusion to Luton's progression in League Two when they lift the Title ahead of one of League One's relegated clubs from last season, Burton. Despite a last day draw at relegated Bury, it was Shrewsbury who just held on for automatic promotion ahead of Rochdale and Rotherham. That seemed to impact those two clubs, as they both crashed out in the Playoff Semi-Finals, and at Wembley, the Division's top scorer, Serbian striker Aleksandar Prijovic netted a late extra time winner to edge Cheltenham past Bradford City, and into the third tier. Moving out of the Division by the other available route are Bury, who only just missed the Playoffs last season, and Kettering, who enjoyed three seasons in the Football League in this spell.

Blue Square Premier League
Champions :- AFC Bournemouth (94 pts)
Playoff Winners :- Dagenham & Redbridge (90 pts)
Also In Playoffs :- Stevenage Borough (88 pts), Torquay United (81 pts), Weymouth (80 pts)
Relegated :- Farsley Celtic (46 pts), Gainsborough Trinity (42 pts), Southport (41 pts), Gateshead (37 pts)
Top Scorers :- Stuart Beavon (Weymouth - 26 goals), Tomi Ameobi (Salisbury - 24 goals), Chris Holroyd (Cambridge - 23 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Steve Morison (Stevenage - 7.28), Stuart Beavon (Weymouth - 7.26) Matthew Delicâte (Ebbsfleet - 7.19)

The two clubs who dropped out of the Football League last season will return right back to it after just one season away. AFC Bournemouth were a class above the rest to win the Title, while Dagenham & Redbridge had a little more work to do as they made their way through the Playoffs, losing to Weymouth 3-0 at home in the First Leg of the Semi-Finals, before winning by the same score on the Dorset coast and holding their nerve in the penalty shoot-out. They would then beat another south coast side, Torquay United at Wembley. You have to feel sorry for the Devon side, who have now failed to get back into League Two through the Playoffs in each of the last three seasons. It was fairly straightforward at the other end, where all except Farsley Celtic found themselves cut somewhat adrift. The Blue Square North Champions of last season would find themselves dueling with their South counterparts, and Newport County came out on top, thanks in part to winning a match between the two a few weeks before the season ended.

Blue Square North
Champions :- York City (81 pts)
Playoff Winners :- Droylsden (79 pts)
Also In Playoffs :- Barrow (71 pts), FC United of Manchester (68 pts), Tamworth (67 pts)
Relegated :- Hinckley United (40 pts), Marine (37 pts), Witton Albion (33 pts)
Top Scorers :- Jordan Pavett (Hinckley - 22 goals), Tim Hopkinson (Workington - 21 goals), Chris Sims (Hyde - 20 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Tim Hopkinson (Workington - 7.20), Robbie Martin (Stafford - 7.14), Danny Parslow (York - 7.06)

Blue Square South
Champions :- Dorchester Town (75 pts)
Playoff Winners :- Dartford (68 pts)
Also In Playoffs :- AFC Wimbledon (70 pts), Basingstoke Town (68 pts), Eastleigh (67 pts)
Relegated :- Havant & Waterlooville (50 pts), Bromley (44 pts), Merthyr Tydfil (38 pts)
Top Scorers :- Graham Weir (Dorchester - 25 goals), Tony Garrod (Weston-Super-Mare - 21 goals), Gareth McLaughlin (Hampton & Richmond - 21 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Graham Weir (Dorchester - 7.33), Jon Main (AFC Wimbledon - 7.20), Matthew Cooper (Bishop's Stortford - 7.12)

FA Cup
Liverpool beat Newcastle United on penalties (1-1 after extra time) at Wembley Stadium, London

League Cup
Chelsea beat Liverpool 2-0 at Wembley Stadium, London

Community Shield
Arsenal beat Liverpool on penalties (2-2 after extra time) at Wembley Stadium, London

Johnstone's Paint Trophy
Port Vale beat Leyton Orient 1-0 at Wembley Stadium, London

Football Conference League Cup
Histon beat AFC Bournemouth 2-0 at Wembley Stadium, London

FA Trophy
Stevenage Borough beat Rushden & Diamonds on penalties (1-1 after extra time) at Wembley Stadium, London
----------

Northern Ireland
Premier Division
Champions :- Linfield (76 pts), Runner's-Up :- Dungannon (64 pts)
Relegation Playoff :- Distillery lose 2-4 on aggregate to Institute
Relegated :- Distellery (43 pts), Glebe Rangers (28 pts)
Top Scorers :- Conor Forker (Dungannon - 19 goals), Andrew Waterworth (Glentoran - 18 goals), Aaron Baker (Dungannon - 17 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Paul Munster (Linfield - 7.41), Andrew Waterworth (Glentoran - 7.09), Conor Forker (Dungannon - 7.04)

Belfast continues to be on top in Ulster, and unlike last season, there was no competition. Linfield return to the top of the pile with a twelve point cushion to second placed Dungannon. Their deadly rivals Glentoran are nowhere to be seen, only just getting themselves into the top half a further ten points back again. Of the promoted sides, Lurgan Celtic spent the early part of the season looking dead certs for a top half finish, but then started to hit the skids, and dropped down the table at a rate of knots later on, but didn't ever get uncomfortably close to the trap door. That was better than Glebe Rangers, who looked out of their depth throughout the campaign and were fifteen points adrift at the bottom, joined in the drop by Distillery, who lost the Relegation Playoff.

First Division
Champions :- Coleraine (54 pts), Runner's-Up :- Institute (52 pts)
Promotion Playoff :- Institute beat Distillery 4-2 on aggregate
Relegated :- Ballymoney United (19 pts), Armagh City (15 pts)
Top Scorers :- Paul Baron (Ballinamallard United - 15 goals), Richard Gibson (Coleraine - 14 goals), Ryan Moffatt (Loughgall - 14 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Richard Gibson (Coleraine - 7.50), Seámus Brown (Limavady - 7.19), Ryan Moffatt (Loughgall - 7.12)

Coleraine were the odds on favourites to return back into the top tier at the first attempt. They managed it too, but it was a lot closer than most people expected, and behind them their fellow relegated side from the Premier Division last season, Donegal Celtic, couldn't make it into the top two, pushed out by Institute, who would go on to defeat Distillery in the Playoff and join Coleraine in getting promoted. At the other end of the table, it rarely looked like being anyone other than Armagh City and Ballymoney United who would be relegated into the bottom tier.

Second Division
Champions :- Queens University Belfast (42 pts), Runner's-Up :- Wakehurst (42 pts)
Relegated :- Ballyclare Comrades (28 pts), Police Service of Northern Ireland (28 pts)
Top Scorers :- Gary Liggett (Portstewart - 16 goals), Ally McIlroy (Wakehurst - 12 goals), Conor McCreadie (Moyola Park - 12 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Glenn Murphy (Brantwood - 7.16), Gary Liggett (Portstewart - 7.05), Kyle Asante (Queens University - 7.03)

Wakehurst just missed out on the Second Division Title after being relegated last season, beaten on goal difference by Queens University Belfast. But they did at least secure second spot, and an immediate return to the second tier. A ridiculously close Title and Promotion race saw the top five covered by just two points. At the bottom, Chimney Corner survived, while Ballyclare Comrades and Police Service of Northern Ireland both slipped into Non-League football for next season.

Northern Irish FA Cup
Linfield beat Portadown on penalties (2-2 after extra time) at The Oval, Belfast

Northern Irish League Cup
Glentoran beat Newry City 2-0 at Windsor Park, Belfast

Northern Irish Intermediate League Cup
Dergview beat Chimney Corner on penalties (1-1 after extra time) at Windsor Park, Belfast

Northern Irish Intermediate Cup
Portadown Reserves beat Dungannon 2-1 at Seaview, Belfast
----------

Wales
Premier League
Champions :-
Llanelli AFC (68 pts), Runner's-Up :- Aberystwyth Town (61 pts)
Relegated :- Airbus UK Broughton (30 pts), CPD Porthmadog (30 pts)
Top Scorers :- Wesley Thomas (Prestatyn Town - 20 goals), Billy Kee (Llanelli AFC - 19 goals), Leigh Smith (Newtown - 17 goals)
Top Average Ratings :- Wesley Thomas (Prestatyn Town - 7.23), Chris Bale (Ton Pentre - 7.21), Dave Hibbert (The New Saints - 7.16)

It's two in a row now for Llanelli, and after last seasons was a close run thing, they had a more comfortable time of it this season, with second placed Aberystwyth Town seven points back. The big question in Wales is what on earth is going on with TNS, who slipped further back again this season, with a fifth place finish, 18 points back from the Champions. They did manage to salvage some pride with a pair of Cup triumphs. Newly promoted Airbus join Porthmadog in suffering relegation, the other promoted club, Llangefni, finished comfortably in mid table.

Welsh FA Cup
The New Saints beat CPD Porthmadog 2-0 at Maesdu Park, Llandudno

Welsh Premier League Cup
The New Saints beat NEWI Cefn Druids 2-0 at The Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

2011/12 Season Review (continued)

Best of Europe
UEFA Champions League
Arsenal (ENG) beat Chelsea (ENG) on penalties (1-1 after extra time) at Allianz-Arena, Munich, Germany

UEFA Europa League
Manchester City (ENG) beat VfL Wolfsburg (GER) 3-0 at The Municipal Stadium, Medgidia, Romania

UEFA European Super Cup
Real Madrid (SPA) beat Tottenham Hostspur (ENG) 1-0 at Stade Louis II, Monte Carlo, Monaco

Belgium
Champions :- Anderlecht (60 pts), Runner's-Up :- Standard de Liège (55 pts)
Top Scorer :- Nicolás Frutos (Anderlecht - 20 goals). Top Average Rating :- Nicolás Frutos (Anderlecht - 7.38)

France
Champions :- Olympique Lyon (85 pts), Runner's-Up :- Olympique de Marseille (77 pts)
Top Scorer :- Robert Lewandowski (Olympique Lyon - 20 goals). Top Average Rating :- Djibril Cissé (Olympique de Marseille - 7.49)

Germany
Champions :- FC Bayern Munich (68 pts), Runner's-Up :- Bayer 04 Leverkusen (66 pts)
Top Scorer :- Stefan Kießling (FC Bayern Munich - 20 goals). Top Average Rating :- Stefan Kießling (FC Bayern Munich - 7.63)

Holland
Champions :- PSV Eindhoven (68 pts), Runner's-Up :- Ajax Amsterdam (66 pts)
Top Scorer :- Marko Markovski (Willem II - 22 goals). Top Average Rating :- Lex Immers (NEC Nijmegen - 7.60)

Italy
Inter Milan (73 pts), Runner's-Up :- Juventus (70 pts)
Top Scorer :- Luciano Figueroa (Sampdoria - 18 goals). Top Average Rating :- Kaká (AC Milan - 7.74)

Portugal
Benfica (72 pts), Runner's-Up :- Sporting Lisbon (71 pts)
Top Scorer :- Rafael Sóbis (Benfica - 20 goals). Top Average Rating :- Oscar Cardozo (Benfica - 7.86)

Russia
CSKA Moscow (69 pts), Runner's Up :- Zenit St.Petersburg (65 pts)

Spain
Real Madrid (98 pts), Runner's-Up :- FC Barcelona (86 pts)
Top Scorer :- Vagner Love (Real Madrid - 23 goals). Top Average Rating :- Vagner Love (Real Madrid - 7.90)
----------

Rest of the World
FIFA Club World Championship

Real Madrid (SPA) beat River Plate (ARG) 3-1 at Yokohama International Stadium, Yokohama, Japan

Copa Libertadores
Athlético Mineiro (BRA) beat River Plate (ARG) 2-1 on aggregate

Copa Sudamericana
River Plate (ARG) beat Palmeiras (BRA) 4-1 on aggregate

Asian Champions League
Al-Ain (UAE) beat Pohang Steelers (KOR) 3-2 on aggregate

North American Champions League
Club de Nuevo Léon Tigres (MEX) beat Los Angeles Galaxy (USA) 3-2 on aggregate

OFC Champions League
Auckland City (NZL) beat Titavi (SAM) 6-0 at Korman Stadium, Port Vila, Vanuatu

Argentina
River Plate, Runner's-Up :- Boca Juniors

Australia
Hyundai A-League Regular Season Champions :-
Sydney FC. Runner's-Up :- Central Coast Mariners
Hyundai A-League Grand Final Series :- Sydney FC beat Central Coast Mariners 2-0 at Bluetongue Stadium, Gosford

Brazil
Palmeiras, Runner's-Up :- Internacional

United States of America
Major League Soccer Regular Season Champions :-
Los Angeles Galaxy, Runner's-Up :- Columbus Crew
Major League Soccer Final :- New York Red Bulls beat CD Chivas USA 2-0 at Rentschler Field, Hartford, Connecticut
----------

International

2012 African Cup of Nations :- Hosts :- Gabon. Holders :- Cameroon
Final :- Morocco beat Ivory Coast 2-0 at Stade Omar Bongo, Libreville
Top Scorers :- Pierre Achille Webó (Cameroon - 5 goals), Nabil Baha (Morocco - 4 goals), Benni McCarthy (South Africa - 3 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Papa Diakhate (Senegal - 8.07), John Mensah (Ghana - 7.73), Abdoulaye Faye (Senegal - 7.70)

2011 Asian Nations Cup :- Hosts :- Qatar. Holders :- Iraq
Final :- Australia beat China 4-1
Top Scorer :- Aziz Ibragimov (Uzbekistan - 6 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Aziz Ibragimov (Uzbekistan - 7.88)

2012 Oceania Nations Cup :- Hosts :- New Zealand. Holders :- Solomon Islands
Final :- New Zealand beat Fiji 6-1 on aggregate
Top Scorers :- Osea Vakatalesau (Fiji - 6 goals), Roy Krishna (Fiji - 5 goals), Benjamin Totori (Solomon Islands - 5 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Chris Killen (New Zealand - 8.60), Ryan Nelsen (New Zealand - 8.07), Shane Smeltz (New Zealand - 7.87)

2011 Copa América :- Hosts :- Argentina. Holders :- Brazil
Final :- Argentina beat Brazil 2-0 at Antonio Vespucio Liberti, Buenos Aires
Top Scorer :- Sergio Agüero (Argentina - 5 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Juan Ángel Albín (Uruguay - 8.02)

2011 Under-20's World Cup :- Hosts :- Colombia. Holders :- Brazil
Final :- Brazil beat Spain 2-1 after extra time
Top Scorer :- Nathan Delfouneso (England - 9 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Nathan Delfouneso (England - 8.05)

2011 European Under-19 Championship :- Hosts :- Norway :- Holders :- Ukraine
Final :- England beat Ukraine 2-0 at Lerkendal, Trondheim
Top Scorer :- Petr Cermak (Czech Republic - 7 goals)
Top Average Rating :- Petr Cermak (Czech Republic - 8.00)
----------

Awards
FIFA World Footballer of the Year
1st :-
Cesc Fàbregas (Arsenal & Spain), 2nd :- Lionel Messi (FC Barcelona & Argentina), 3rd :- Vagner Love (Real Madrid & Brazil)

UEFA European Footballer of the Year
Cesc Fàbregas (Arsenal & Spain), 2nd :- Carlos Tevez (Manchester United & Argentina), 3rd :- Frank Lampard (Chelsea & England)

UEFA European Golden Boot
Michael Owen (Newcastle United), 2nd :- Vagner Love (Real Madrid), 3rd :- Kike Sola (Osasuna)

Sunday 1st July 2012
Ayr United have been thrown into turmoil today, as reports suggest that their Manager has walked out on the club after a dispute with the club over their budgets for the new season.

Neil Hoskins, the 34 year old Welsh Manager who led the club into the Promotion Playoffs in the Scottish Second Division last season, stated to the press that the Board told him he had to drastically cut back on his wage spending, despite several players already leaving the club this summer. Hoskins, who had been at the club since December of 2010, still had a year to run on his contract, and had recently turned down an offer to manage a club in the Czech Republic.

Last season, Ayr were beaten in the Playoff Semi-Finals by Hamilton Academicals in a fiery two legged tie, and Hamilton would eventually preserve their second tier status. He also led the club into the Scottish League Challenge Cup Final for the third time in their history, but they were beaten by another First Division club, Raith Rovers.

Former Nottingham Forest boss, Ian McParland, and Paul Trollope, who was sacked by Bristol Rovers in March, are the early favourites to replace Hoskins at Somerset Park.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ladies and Gents, 

What you have read above, is media propaganda. Fake news if you will. What actually happened, is that I stayed till July 25th, signing multiple players for the club, and playing through a five game pre season (wins over Bathgate Thistle, Deveronvale, Derby County and Cambridge United, plus a defeat to TSG Hoffenheim). However, after not playing the Second Division Relegation/Third Division Promotion Playoffs, the game became stuck, and would not schedule the new league season in Scotland. It made the draws for the Cups, and they seemed to be fine, but without any League football, it would be a bit pointless.

It's not the end of the save, just a premature end to my time in Scotland with Ayr United. It may well be the case that it corrects itself, but the best option at this point seems to be to move on. It won't be difficult.......the food was awful! Part Three of this save is just around the corner!

Ayr United FC (20/12/2010 - 25/7/2012) 584 days in charge

Honours :- 
Scottish League Challenge Cup Runner's-Up :- 2011/12

Ayr United Record :- 
GP 67. W 31. D 17. L 19. GF 100. GA 84. GD +16. Win Percentage 46.3% 

Overall Career Record :- 
GP 160. W 85. D 37. L 38. GF 275. GA 177. GD +98. Win Percentage 52.5%

Highest Transfer Fee Paid :- £2,000 for Aaron McElwee 1/1/2011
Highest Transfer Fee Received :- £5,000 for Kenny Connolly 1/1/2012

Manager of the Month Awards :- 4 (1 with Lurgan Celtic, 3 with Ayr United)
Total Career Earnings :- £28,000

Archived