Improving my 4-3-3 default tactic

Hello!, I am playing with Arsenal at the moment, season expectations were to challenge for the title and although I am fourth in the league in March I am not competing at all being 21 points behind man city who are sitting comfortable top of the league at the moment.

Overall, my team is not actually performing that bad as I have conceded only 26 goals which is the 3rd lowest at the moment and scored 43 goals (6th highest) but I have drawn 9 games a lot of these against teams I should be beating such as West Ham who I drew with twice and Aston Villa who I drew and lost too.

In particular all the goals I concede seem to come from two things, either the wide men cutting into the box and scoring themselves or the ball just being played straight through the middle of my defence with a real lack of real challenges from my defence.

(My first 11 and team instructions)

http://gyazo.com/2219d5308c64f97c150a49678b32a1d1

I do not use the target man or playmaker settings as I am not really sure what to do with them and I do not use any shouts either for the same reason. The only other thing I do is Opposition instructions before the game has started where I will usually do the following:

Centre backs and centre mid fielders - Closing down ALWAYS, Show onto foot WEAKER FOOT

Wide men - Closing down ALWAYS, Show onto foot WEAKER FOOT, Tackling HARD

Strikers - Show onto foot WEAKER FOOT

Also seem to have around the 45% possession mark which I guess is something that really needs to be improved.

Appreciate any help anyone can give me and welcome to all suggestions :)

I do not use any shouts

That's a shame. Shouts are the perfect way to adapt your team during the match.

Do yourself a favour and work your way through this thread where Cleon explains the ins and outs of all different shouts with great hints on where and when to use them, including nice shout combinations...

Also, this thread by rashidi1 is a must read.

Also seem to have around the 45% possession mark which I guess is something that really needs to be improved.

With your team taking an attacking philosophy thorughout the match, tempo will be very high and time wasting very low. Player's mentality will be very high.

All in all, the team will be extremely focused on putting the ball in the net, using as little time as possible to do so.

I suggest you do the following.

(1) Leave the settings as they are now and watch the first 15 mins of a game

(2) Reload the same save and set the style of play at control or balanced. Again, watch the first 15 mins of the same same.

During the matches, take a good look at what choices your players make when in possession of the ball.

On attacking style, they will make their decisions with a preference for offensive play with a high risk - high reward character. On balanced style, they will use more sideways passes, backways passes and only try more risky stuff when the reward seems the outweigh the risk (in the player's perception, so decisions comes into play too here!)...

After this, you'll understand why even with Arsenal your possession only hovers around 45%.

And with understanding comes the insight to start adapting your tactic...

Good luck and let us know how you did!

Archived