Leaving the Past Behind (Repost)

flipsix3

Well, the forum migration (July 2008) has made a bit of a mess of things and it seems that the only way around it is to repost my story from my own archives - the formatting issues are just too severe for me to let it stand as it is.

I'm going to repost everything, including comments from those who have followed the tale (I will attribute these comments as best I can, obviously they're not going to appear under the correct name in the 'poster' box though). I'll also take the opportunity to try and tidy up any obvious errors that I left in last time around.

Please be patient with me, and for the sake of keeping this thing making sense, please don't post any new comments until I'm up to date. I'll make a specific post to show where this is - from what I can tell it's going to be somewhere on page 13.

So, here we go again...

flipsix3

12th July 2008

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ed hugs Sonja tight and then kisses her on top of the head, she always pretends that it infuriates her - screwing her nose up in mock grimace, which in turn makes him laugh. He loves the way she always tries to hug back just as hard, it’s just one of the many little things about her that add up to the wonder that she is. From somewhere he hears faint music growing more urgent…

…and I’d stay for ages, if I could, to wake you-oo…

He rolled over and hit the snooze button on the CD-alarm, turning back to find the bed empty. Of course it was empty, it was always empty, she’d been gone for nearly eight months now but still the dreams came – albeit less frequently these days.

He checked the clock - 7.03, and lay on his back deciding to wait until five past. He tried to bring the feeling from the dream back but, in the cold reality of wakefulness, more recent memories refused to give the happier ones a foothold.

She’s gone Ed, she went off without a word – just that stupid note - and you have to accept that, now get a move on – first day of a new job and all that

Ah yes, the new job, not exactly new but a step up all the same. How long had they…. he… been out here now? Six years? Seven? Even now he could appreciate the slower pace of life, in his final years at Spurs every day had seemed to begin with the knotting of muscles in anticipation of the day’s stresses, but as soon as he’d completed his move to the continent that had all changed.

He rolled over and looked at the clock – 7.11, best wait for quarter past then.

Writer’s Notes:

Yes, it’s me, back from wherever I went (if the phrase Hib/Pryd means anything to you in gaming terms, then you’ll know where that was ;) ).

Early this year I started a story using CM01/02 – my plans were fairly ambitious – and then, one morning, I got up and just had no interest in playing CM at all. The result was that I suppose I just “vanished” from the site.

Now I’ve got wind of the fact that FM2005 is out and I decided to give it a try, to help me get into it all again I’ve decided to resurrect the tale that I was working on, as a result I’ve taken what was already written and remoulded it to give me the bones of my new story. I’ve updated nearly everything – there is just one little excerpt where I’ve tampered with real life timelines to retain a little piece that I was very fond of ;)

My apologies to those of you who will have to wade through the early stages of this odyssey with a strong sense of deja-vu. Let’s see if the new incarnation can hold my interest and prompt a return to these hallowed pages.

flipsix3

November 2004

(the usual disclaimer applies: anything written about a real life person is purely fictional, except where it’s obviously not)

The drive to work was as pleasant as ever, the Aquitaine region of France was a beautiful area, that’s why they’d felt so relaxed and settled here after a relatively short few months. When Bordeaux had first made a bid for him, back in the late 90’s, they’d both been somewhat reluctant to consider a move – he more than Sonja. In the end it had been her hard work that had convinced him, she’d actually travelled here to look around and had come back a changed woman. He’d been left with a choice, see out his time at White Hart Lane or relocate to the sunny climes of south-west France. Once Sonja had come back from her field trip, all smiles and giggles, the decision had seemed a lot easier.

Whilst the lifestyle change had been easy, the footballing upheaval had been less so. Having arrived at the North London club in 1990, from his home town of Huddersfield, he’d made a few appearances in their last FA Cup winning squad, playing alongside the likes of Edinburgh, Lineker, and Gascoigne. He’d missed out on the final, in favour of a few of the more established players – a fact that he couldn’t begrudge them – and from then on he’d formed a strong friendship with a number of his colleagues.

Leaving for Bordeaux had meant adapting to a whole new style of play, whilst trying to pick up the fundamentals of the French language. He laughed to himself, it was still hard for him to hold anything but the most basic of conversations in the native tongue and he was thankful that English was so widely spoken. He settled eventually, becoming an integral part of the team that made it to two consecutive French League Cup finals (losing both), and played on for several years as he drifted further and further from regular first team action.

The opportunity had come to return to England, Barnet and Leyton Orient had both made offers, but the couple had become enamoured with life on the continent and when Pau FC had offered him a role as player-coach, last year, he’d jumped at the chance.

They hadn’t needed to move from their home – a modest villa in the countryside south-east of Mont-de-Marsan, in fact it had simply meant travelling as far south as he used to travel north, and he thought that nothing could make him happier. Of course, although he was contracted as a player-coach he gradually found himself employed more as the latter, but that didn’t bother him – he studied for his UEFA certification and, on the day that he received accreditation for the final assessment, he came home with flowers and champagne… and that’s when he’d found that note.

Look, just leave it Ed, it’s not the time to start thinking about that again, just get to work and concentrate on the job

Of course he was right, he’d thrown himself into his coaching to try and numb the pain and now, with the new season approaching, he had even more on his plate to keep his mind busy.

08 November 2004

welcome back, flippers :)

08 November 2004

Yeah I hope you keep it up it was a good story Thumbs Up

Cheers guys, it's good to be back. It's early days yet but I'm enjoying FM2K5 a little more than CM4 so far... :)

When Marc Lévy had announced his resignation at the end of the 2003/04 campaign many had been surprised, at 42 he was a fairly young manager and those associated with the club – Ed included – had expected him to spend time there proving himself before looking to move up. Instead he had simply walked away, it had been a number of weeks before any of his closer friends at the club discovered that he had left to spend more time with his wife who had, much to everyone’s horror, been diagnosed with bowel cancer at the tender age of 34.

Ed had always been a popular player with the fans, although he’d be lying if he claimed to have been a regular part of the squad. In his two seasons or so he’d amassed little more than two dozen starts, and a handful of appearances from the bench. It therefore came as a shock when Monsieur Le Coadou had offered him the managerial role for the new season.

“…yes Mister Allen, I’m completely sure that you’re the man for the job as you put it. The other coaches will back you, and none of them have what is needed to take the helm, it is you job if you want it”

He sat behind his new desk and recalled the conversation with a smile, management wasn’t something he’d considered, but then he hadn’t dismissed the idea either – it just had never come up as a topic of conversation before. It had taken him a while to make his decision, his mind still kept wandering to Sonja, but in the end he’d agreed a deal with Le Coadou and now here he was.

Thankfully there were no high expectations, he’d learned in his few months with Pau that they were unlikely to challenge for the National Division title, in fact Le Coadou and his associates were just looking to retain their league status. From what he’d seen in the games at the end of last season, that would be tough enough.

Ed looked down the squad roster, it was going to be interesting trying to get the team playing his way – he didn’t favour the standard 4-4-2, or 5-3-2 formations that most European managers seemed to work with but he only had access to one of the attacking full-backs that his desired tactics really craved.

Jacques Leglib, at 28-years-old, would be the obvious choice in goal, a veteran of some 90 or more appearances in the years that he’d been at Pau, not counting the two or three seasons that he’d spent at other clubs during that time.. The Frenchman was well travelled, including two seasons in Portugal, and in training he looked a decent proposition.

It was interesting to Ed that Pau contained so many players from outside of France, albeit from countries with strong ties. His central defensive partnership would be part (Republic of) Congolese, in the form of Eugène Kangulungu Mbahu (fortunately known as Kangu to his team-mates), and part Senegalese – a rising star by the name of Khalifa Elhadji Ba, a strong teenage prospect whom Ed had managed to arrange a season-long loan for from Marseille. Kangu looked solid and reliable, an established player who gave the feeling that he knew how to do exactly enough, and nothing more - Ba, on the other hand, looked full of bravado and seemed to put himself about a bit more, never shying away from a strong tackle in training. Both were big men, a trait that Ed favoured, and they should control the box well.

Whilst he lacked the sort of flying right-back that he really wanted, Ed did have a player who could fill the role for now. Julien Labat, a 22-year-old local boy in his fifth season with the club, would take up station on the right. He frequently showed his pace in training but his enthusiasm needed to be toned down a little, Ed was trying to instil in the teenager the fact that he would be expected to carry the ball at his feet, rather than outrun it as he seemed prone to doing.

On the left Anicet Adjamossi – loaned from Bordeaux (the benefit of still having friends at the club) – looked to be more of a fit to the role that Ed intended and he already considered him to be one of the key players from what he saw on the practice pitch.

One of the most important elements of Ed’s chosen style would be the covering man, sitting in front of the back four Vincent Di Bartolomeo would be asked to drop back as the full-backs pushed up. When the opposition had possession though, he would push on to add extra weight to midfield. It was an unusual role, most players were accustomed to playing more defensively when out of possession and then pushing up when their team was on the attack, but in his playing days it was a tactic that Ed himself had adopted – it had not always impressed his manager… until he was on hand to make a decisive tackle or two.

The midfield trio would be anchored by the veteran Laurent Bédani, the 31-year-old Frenchman was the perfect fit for the role as far as Ed was concerned. He would bring the experience and cool head that his pivotal role required, with much of the play coming through him.

Pushing up from midfield, while Bédani played the holding role, would be Matthieu Aernoudt and Nicolas Cami. Neither was quite the attack-minded player that Ed would have chose, given carte-blanche, but he knew that he was working within limitations and they both looked like they could do a job.

The strike partnership would be a strong pairing, quite literally, with Ed opting for two big forwards who could both act as target men and hold the ball up. Stéphane Millereau was embarking on his second season at the club, although he hadn’t really performed in his first Ed had seen the signs of a good striker in the making. He would be partnered by Bertrand Tchami - a pacey forward who had spent a couple of seasons struggling in the French Second Division after a stellar season with Romorantin. Ed hoped that his return to the National Division would see him turn on that style again.

Outside the starting lineup Ed had yet to form any real opinions, Gaël Bonnel was, according to the coaching staff, a star in the making – he would push Tchami and Millereau for a spot, but other than that he would wait until a few games in before marking anyone else as a regular sub.

08 November 2004

Good to see you flippers! :)

09 November 2004

Welcome back, it's been awhile. :) Good start to the story too!

09 November 2004

Welcome back Flip :) And the best of luck with this one!

Thanks muchly fellas :)

It was a facet of Ed’s personality, a fault in his own eyes, that he would frequently sit at home and worry about decisions made, even those made by others, going over and over the possible outcomes in his mind until he was convinced that the worst would come to pass. One such mental meandering occurred on the night before Pau’s pre-season clash.

To mark his debut campaign as manager Le Coadou had arranged a single friendly before the season kicked off, and he’d arranged for Halifax to cross the Channel to play it. Of course Ed knew that there were no expectations – it was simply a pre-season game, one in which the squad – a number of who would be playing together for the first time - could start to get a feel for the workings of Ed’s formation.

On the morning of the game though, Ed had awoken in a cold sweat, with a quiet corner of his mind assuring him that it was a make or break day, that defeat would put him on the slippery slope. Thankfully, trying to put a level headed slant on things, he had finally buried such concerns (after no small amount of battling with himself) by the end of breakfast and was actually quite looking forward to the game.

It was a gloriously sunny day, just what he had become used to in this part of the world, and both sides enjoyed the run out. Whilst Halifax took the win there were a lot of positives for Ed. Pau had created a number of good chances and, once the team started to gel, he would hope to see more of the capitalised upon – all in all there had been nothing to disappoint.

After the game, with his side looking weary but happy, Ed ran over the finer points of his notes, pointing out where work needed to be done - through the middle of defence - and where they had really shone, particularly the number of telling passes from Bédani from midfield.

Unfortunately things had been left a little late it seemed, and Ed struggled to make any last-minute arrangements for another pre-season run out – added to an injury setback, when Tchami broke his cheek in training – he knew that the early season was going to be an uphill battle.

Driving back home that evening, with the windows rolled down and the car stereo belting out some feel-good rock, the new manager was all smiles despite his concerns over opening day – it was hard not to smile when driving through this part of the country in the late evening’s summer sun. There would be another ten days or so of training, and then he would be ready to lead his side out as they returned to action in the league.

He’d heard nothing, whilst at the ground, from his sole scout. Plans had been set in motion to add a second spotter but, as yet, without success – he called Frédéric Robin to see if he’d managed to turn up any young talent in the quieter towns of the country. Surprisingly the amiable Frenchman had come up with a dozen or so prospects and they decided to meet for dinner to chat them over, Ed showered and phoned through to his favoured local restaurant to book a table for two.

-----

“Ah good evening Monsieur Allen, it has been quite a while since we have seen you I think, will your lovely wife be joining you?”

The question stung him for a moment, had it really been that long since he’d been here? Did they not know? He didn’t want to go into that story right now, instead he apologised that Sonja wouldn’t be dining tonight, and advised the maître d’hôtel that his associate would be arriving presently.

He was enjoying a cool glass of white wine when Robin arrived, they shook hands and ordered their appetisers and main course. Whilst they waited for their food the scout produced the list of names, immediately crossing through two or three of them, and gave Ed a brief overview of each of the remainder.

Ed was looking for a number of factors in young players, but the main thrust was for pace – he wanted to build a team that would pass and move at a rate that, if nothing else, would wear the opposition down. He was content to use what he had for the time being, with so many players already new to the squad – summer transfers that Lévy had arranged – he had no desire to replace huge numbers already, but there were one or two genuinely attractive prospects on Robin’s list.

By the time that dessert arrived the two had whittled the list down to three names, Robin would spend some time looking more closely at a young winger by the name of Jérôme Bergé, and another midfield man. Ed, meanwhile, would make the appropriate calls to offer a trial to Romain Testas, a versatile teenage forward currently plying his trade in the non-league ranks of the French game.

Ed quickly had to rethink on Testas once he heard that rival National League side, Bayonne, had put in a bid. A cash offer was put on the table and Ed demanded a rapid response in an attempt to force the youngster’s hand – the gamble paid off and the striker came on board in time for the season’s opener. With Tchami out injured, and Bonnel taking his spot, Ed decided to give the new arrival a place on the bench for the game at home to Raon-l’Etape.

-----

Closing the door behind him, Ed threw the keys onto the coffee table and made for the kitchen, and the cold beer in the fridge. He poured his drink slowly into a glass before walking out onto the terrace that overlooked acres of farmland behind his grounds.

As first games go he couldn’t have asked for anything more, he’d literally just settled himself on the bench, still fidgeting due to nerves, when Millereau had broken through the visiting defence to give them the most unlikely start. Ed had been, to use a favourite phrase of his father’s, well and truly gobsmacked but he’d still expected it all to come crashing down. His nerves had melted away mid-way through the half though, Millereau had doubled his tally, matching his goal count for the entire previous season in just over 20 minutes, and Pau were seemingly cruising.

Raon-l’Etape had created chances of their own, on paper the tie could have gone either way, but Ed had found himself thoroughly enjoying the game, and even a serious looking injury to Matthieu Aernoudt hadn’t dampened his spirits. The game continued to ebb and flow but it was finishing that was the key and when Cami neatly tucked away a late through-ball from Testas the difference had been clear.

Yes, all things being equal, it had been a great day, Ed leaned back and took a deep swallow of his beer. There was a niggling feeling that there was something he ought to be worried about, but in the afterglow of the game he couldn’t place it and didn’t really care…

The phone rang, making Ed jump. He swallowed the last of his beer and set the glass aside. Picking the phone up his mood quickly disappeared through the floor. He’d forgotten about Aernoudt, as his team had romped to an easy win he’d been swept along with the emotion of the occasion – but now he knew what it was that had been trying to grab his attention. The midfield man had been taken to hospital as a precaution and the verdict was in – a broken leg, and out of the squad for most of the season.

Ed hung up the phone and went looking for a second, less celebratory, beer.

As soon as he arrived in his office the next morning he was on the phone. He was still waiting on a detailed scout report on Jérôme Bergé, but the initial assessment had been very favourable and Bergé played the same role as Aernoudt. He had cover from within, but no-one who had really impressed in training – if he could land Bergé then he’d be killing two birds with one stone, if not then he wasn’t about to panic.

Again he was under pressure, he knew that the youngster had already attracted bids, so he played the deadline card for a second time in the space of a week. Whilst the move produced a rapid, and positive, response from Bergé’s club it quickly became apparent that the youngster was not interested in joining Pau – Ed decided not to push matters, he would fill the spot from the reserves whilst looking around for options in the transfer market.

-----

Mourad N’Zif got the nod for the game at Roye. Ed decided to start with N’Zif and swap at half time, bringing in Noureddine El Yamani – a teenager rated as a very good prospect by the coaching team. After the bitter-sweet result of the opening day Ed was firmly back in his self-induced semi-panic.

It was another strong showing from his side though, they weren’t afraid to get forward and create chances although the finish seemed to be eluding them this time. N’Zif did a job, but far from a great one, El Yamani looked slightly better for around 20 minutes and then Ed’s heart sank as the youngster indicated that he needed to come off.

The necessary change was made and Anthony Gardan, a full-back by trade, was asked to take the mantle of third choice supply-line. 10 minutes later Gardan broke through the defence and fired in a low shot, the keeper parried it well but Millereau pounced to open the scoring.

A late strike from Kangu secured a first win on the road, and it was all smiles from Ed on the coach when he was told that El Yamani would only miss a few days with a slight strain. Once again he’d been fearing the worst, trying not to believe that their season was over before it had begun, and once again he’d been shown that he was blowing things way out of proportion

You’re going to have to kill off this pessimist streak if you want to survive more than a month in this job without suffering a coronary mate! he told himself as he slipped into a doze.

13 November 2004

Even though Im not a fake sports editor :rolleyes:, this is still very good ;)

13 November 2004

Peacemaker - I'd have a quiet word with Miles if I were you! Might stop you embarrassing yourself.

It's a cracking story though.

:)

14 November 2004

Flippers this is a joy to read, I hope FM grabs you enough to keep it going :)

Thanks, as ever, for the feedback guys - glad you're enjoying the ride

The first two games of the season had, it seemed, been a relatively easy warm up for Ed’s team – both opponents were in the bottom three without a point or a goal to their names, both were tipped as fellow relegation fodder by the French press. That was far from the case with Valence, the hotly tipped promotion favourites had swept past Pau after their 4-1 demolition of Rouen, taking the top spot in the table and Ed spent a good half-hour going over the finer points of containing the opposition as he warmed the lads up for the game.

It was easy to see why Valence were held in such high esteem, they started the game with a pace and ferocity that the Pau players – particularly the youngsters – hadn’t expected, the ball was being passed around at high speed and Ed noted, with concern, that two or three of his lads seemed overwhelmed by the step up from the previous two games. He tried to get his message across – stay calm, watch the ball and not the man, just take deep breaths and pick your moment - sure enough it seemed to do the trick. Instead of lunging in his midfield started to calculate more, biding their time and stripping the ball, playing passes into space.

To Ed’s surprise the breakthrough came from his team. Once they’d settled, and slowed the pace of the game a little, they started to take the initiative – putting the pressure on their visitors the strike partnership forced a poor backpass from Medhi Lacen, the keeper panicked and scuffed his clearance straight to Gael Bonnel who lashed home his first goal for the club. It was hardly a classic, Ed would never argue it’s case as a goal of the month, not even a goal of the week, but that would come later…… for now they were ahead.

What Bonnel’s goal lacked in style was made up by the equaliser. A poor tackle 30 yards out gave Valence a free-kick, whilst the defence tried to decide who the runner was going to be the two thousand or so fans were treated to a spectacular curling drive from Lacen – atoning for his earlier mistake in some style. Ed thought that half-time was going to be a tough-talking session but his team were determined to prove him wrong, they had their backs up now and they started to pile on the pressure and the chances. Bonnel went close again and then, finally, Millereau put one on target after a couple of early misfires.

The second half was one way traffic, Pau had the advantage, they had the home fans, and suddenly they had the momentum. Bédani saw a penalty saved, sending Ed’s confidence plummeting for a few minutes, but there still looked to be no way back for the visitors and the killer blow came when Romain Testas was given the nod to give Bonnel a rest. It would be easy to exaggerate things, to make rash comparisons – Pau were literally, and metaphorically, in a different league to the world’s best - but what Ed saw in Testas was reminiscent of what he, and the rest of the world, had witnessed in Wayne Rooney during that summer’s Euro 2004 matches.

The 19-year-old picked up the ball time after time and ran at defenders, he skipped through challenges and laid on chances that Millereau really should have buried, but in the end the youngster put the icing on the cake himself. With the final whistle looming Anicet Adjamossi spotted Testas making a run toward the 18 yard box, his pass was inch perfect and the forward – marked by two men – received it and turned in one movement, forced wide he took the ball almost to the byline before looking up and forcing a shot between the keeper and the post, a space that Ed would have sworn wasn’t there at all!

14 November 2004

Same as everyone else so far :)

I have to admit that I didn't read some of earlier efforts, but I'm trying to make it up with this one. Best of luck with making Pau into the French equivalent of Wigan

Cheers Binny, not so sure about the Wigan comparison though, I've seen pictures of Pau and there might be a slight difference

Whilst crisis might have been a strong word to use the situation did indeed worsen, Gael Bonnel scored Pau’s goal in the 1-1 draw at Romorantin, 20 minutes before he had to be withdrawn with a twisted knee. Anicet Adjamossi followed after the break, and with their hosts levelling the score Ed found himself out of subs with over 30 minutes still to play.

It was easily the most nerve-wracking game so far – Romorantin sensed the points were up for grabs and threw men forward but Leglib and the defence kept their opposition at a safe distance and battled out the draw to maintain Pau’s unbeaten record.

By now the results were almost secondary to Ed, he was losing a player a match and the squad depth was struggling. Both Bonnel and Adjamossi would be out for just a week but that was enough to mean that the weekend clash would see five senior players unavailable.

-----

If the injuries bothered the team it didn’t seem to show at the weekend, Valenciennes the Stade du Hameau and the 1800 strong crowd saw Pau back at their devastating best – Bédani opened his account for the season from the spot, and in the second half Millereau and Testas both added their own to the tally as another impressive home win was secured.

There was just one thing concerning Ed by now, with most of his pre-season nerves well and truly calmed he was puzzling over the lack of ability that he had to cover for the absent Aernoudt. He had gone through three or four different players on the left of the central midfield trio and none, it seemed, had been able to turn in a half decent performance even with Pau in truly dominant form.

The morning after the game he sat down with his coaching team to discuss the situation – it wasn’t that anyone played horrendously, but the youngsters involved all seemed to struggle to make their mark on the game*. Ed felt sure that, given time, his players would grow in ability but the momentum that Pau were building was something he wanted to maintain – with Aernoudt ruled out for most of the season he decided to turn to the transfer market and look for a ‘big name’ loan to try and complete what looked to be an otherwise strong midfield.

Despite several hours worth of phone calls between Ed, the club scout, and assorted Second Division sides, he was unable to secure anyone’s services for the season. The trips to and from Wasquehal were long drawn out affairs, from the south-west corner of the country all the way up into the northern tip on the border with Belgium. It was a long way to travel for a 0-0 draw, and an even longer journey when almost the entire time was spent in fruitless negotiations.

By the time the coach dropped him off at home, late on the Thursday afternoon, Ed had been away for nearly 48 hours and he had a headache. All he wanted was a cold beer and a hot bath. There was only one more game to go in August and his side were in rude health, in the league if not in the flesh, Valence had slipped past them again but they were firmly in the top places and making the pre-season doubters look rather silly so far. Smiling despite the headache, Ed slid down into the hot bathwater and allowed himself to doze.

-----

*Writer’s Note: I’ve read, somewhere on the FM forum, that there was a known issue with the demo with players “out of position” getting poor ratings – this may have something to do with it.

16 November 2004

Flip - there is an "out of position" bug but I think that it will be fixed in the patch. May I just add that it's a real pleasure to see you back in action - quality through and through

16 November 2004

(from a sports editor of a national newspaper)

Probably Jim f*cking Traynor... :mad:

Story looks nice and shiny mate. Shininess is plus bon.

16 November 2004

Originally posted by ctreg2:

Peacemaker - I'd have a quiet word with Miles if I were you! Might stop you embarrassing yourself.

It's a cracking story though.

Im not embarrased.

I dont see the need for you to make a big deal of your job, as if your occupation gives you more weight to your opinion. It doesnt. And I dont need to have quiet word with anyone.

Now, let the man get on with writing :p

Bob: Yeah I've read a bit more about the 'out of position' bug since I wrote that part, players are doing OK of course but the rating they get massacres their morale so I thought I'd twist the truth to benefit the story :)

HD: Cheers mate

PM: Don't worry, I'm enjoyng it, was just about to order popcorn ;)

“Can you believe the cheek of that guy?!” Ed slammed the phone down and turned to his assistant.

“Who was it?”

“Guy bloody David from Créteil. I’ve spent most of this week talking to him, I’ve made offers to loan three of his midfield reserves, not one of them has played more than 30 minutes football for the seniors, and not one of them would he let me talk to about loan deals”

“Ah I see, that’s annoying I guess”

“That? Oh no I’ve already got used to that, what’s annoying… infuriating even… is that now he comes to me wanting to buy Jacques”

“Jacques? Jacques Leglib?”

“That’s right, our first choice keeper, not missed a game, conceded only twice in seven matches… that Jacques Leglib, and he offers me a defender in exchange”

The conversation had really wound Ed up, did this Guy David bloke really think that they were going to hand over one of their prize assets? Ed was so consumed with disbelief that most of the game passed him by. This was probably no bad thing, Cherbourg made no secret of their intentions to flood the midfield and stifle any creativity that Pau might have shown – of course with Cami out through suspension, and Bédani dropping back to cover for the absent Di Bartolomeo – out for a few days with a bruised head earned from a training ground clash – that creativity was already somewhat diminished and the game produced a goalless draw with both sides grinding out no more than a couple of chances.

AUGUST 2004 SUMMARY

Pau 3 (Millereau 2, 21, Cami 87)

Raon-l’Etape 0

Man of the Match: Ba (Pau)

News: Matthieu Aernoudt (Pau) broken leg (8 months)

Roye 0

Pau 2 (Millereau 76, Kangu 80)

Man of the Match: Leglib (Pau)

Pau 3 (Bonnel 9, Millereau 31, Testas 90+)

Valence 1 (Lacen 21)

Man of the Match: Cami (Pau)

News: Laurent Bédani (Pau) missed penalty (saved)

Romorantin 1 (Hadjérès 55)

Pau 1 (Bonnel 15)

Man of the Match: Kangu (Pau)

Pau 3 (Bédani pen 40, Millereau 70, Testas 82)

Valenciennes 0

Wasquehal 0

Pau 0

Man of the Match: Ba (Pau)

Pau 0

Cherbourg 0

Man of the Match: Hubert Castets (Cherbourg)

Ed was sitting in his office enjoying a quiet moment when the phone rang, he’d been miles away – reliving the finer moments of the opening month’s performances – and the shrill tone brought him back to the present with a start. He realised, as he picked up the handset, that he must have drifted off completely.

“Hello"

……

"Sorry, who is this?"

……

"No, I’m sorry, I don’t want any…..wait a minute, don’t I know you?"

……

"Oh I think I do, and that’s a terrible French accent, how are ya Gazza? Still flabby and farting? he laughed as the former Spurs midfielder responded in suitably colourful language"

"What? Yeah it’s going really well mate, bit of a tough start to the season but I think it’s coming together now. What about you? Any plans for another comeback? You don’t fancy a player-coach role do you? I’ve got a spot open"

……

"Boston? Well I guess you can do a job there, just call me when they sack you, alright? both men laughed at this, and then went on exchanging casual gossip for a few minutes.

Anyway it’s been good to hear from you mate, and I wasn’t joking – if you end up at a loose end, you call OK?"

……

"What? Erm… no, no we’re not, we split up a few months back."

……

"I don’t know really, I mean she left a note but that was it, I haven’t spoke to her. No offence mate, but it’s really not something I want to talk about right now."

……

"Sure thing, you too Paul. Hope it goes well for you in Boston, speak to you soon OK?"

……

"Cheers mate, bye"

Well that was it then, the news wouldn’t stay quiet for long with Gazza knowing about it, not that it really bothered him – there were much more important things on his mind right now, Pau’s next two games would be against the current 3rd and 4th placed teams and he had two of his defensive first choices away on international duties.

It was a very different looking squad that travelled to Croix de Savoie, with Kangu and Adjamossi both out of contention the central spine of the midfield dropped back, Labat had to switch flanks, and Testas was brought into midfield to make up the numbers. Now the injuries were really telling and Ed could sense big problems for the game ahead.

Sure enough the game descended into the realms of nightmare for Ed. Once their hosts had identified the weak spots they set about exploiting them and all but killed off the game shortly before half time. After the break Ed had to completely reorganise twice, first with Testas withdrawn showing the signs of a knock, then when Elhadji Ba was given a straight red card for nothing more than a 50-50 challenge. The match ended up in a 3-0 win for the home side, on top of which the ‘curse’ of left-midfield seemed to be sapping the will to play out of anyone given the position.

-----

“What’s wrong monsieur Allen?” the chairman had travelled with the team to the game and he dropped himself into the empty seat next to Ed

“Well I suppose I’ve been waiting for this day and now it’s here I can see that we’re not really the team many people think we are”

“What? What foolishness are you talking? We have injuries, players on international duty, we fought hard today and for once we were found wanting – do you see me worrying myself yet? No”

“I suppose you’re right but…”

“But nothing monsieur Allen, if we lose only one game in every eight for the rest of the season I will be a very happy man. I don’t want you to dwell on this result, I want you to think what we have achieved so far and be proud. Of course, lose again next Saturday and I’ll have your balls” Le Coadou winked at Ed and shuffled back along the aisle to talk with the players.

Sitting at home Ed’s mind drifted back to the conversation with Gazza. Growing up in the streets of Huddersfield, his father had always tried to instil in Ed the importance of strong family and moral values

“Now you listen to me Edgar Allen, when you find the right woman you get married and you stand by her. It’s a big decision, and it has to be made for the right reasons, and if you do that then it will work – just look at your mother and me”

Whilst, as his mates had often pointed out, he had grown up in a much more liberal society than his parents, he still held true to those values and it therefore struck him as odd, almost sad, that he could talk about Sonja’s departure in such an off-hand tone. He had loved her, in fact that was a stupid suggestion – he still did love her – but she obviously had her own ideas and so she was gone, just like that. Anyway, what was he doing thinking about that again? He’d been spending most of his time – quite successfully – to put the topic out of his mind and he would do so again.

He had a big game coming up and he needed to do his homework, Nîmes were in 7th place but only a point behind Pau – a win would probably elevate Pau back into the promotion spots but defeat could see them drop almost to half way. The signs were mixed, Nîmes were unbeaten in four games but had injury and suspension woes of their own – although they had displayed an ability to score plenty of goals, their main scorer would miss the game.

On Ed’s side was the fact that Nîmes had a midweek game, a visit from 12th placed Rouens, whose manager had decided to embark on a war of words with his counterpart. It didn’t seem to help the visitors and Ed, who drove east to see the game, was treated to a daunting sight – injury hit Nîmes smashing four goals past their guests who rarely got out of their own defensive third.

The week just kept getting worse for Pau, in Thursday training Millereau clashed with his marker in a practise match and twisted his ankle, by the time Saturday came around Ed was without six of his first-choice XI and his strike partnership was going out with a combined age of 38.

To say that he was expecting a bigger mauling than the Savoie game was an understatement, he took his place in the dugout and began to chew savagely on his nails.

-----

80 minutes, and three! penalties later the majority of Pau fans were leaving the ground with the game still in progress. From what he could understand of the French taunts being hurled their protest was not directed against their side, but against Pierre Tavelet – the referee.

Ed could sympathise, each of the penalties awarded to Nîmes had come from some friendly jostling whilst Pau were defending corners, and each had seen no serious action taken by the man in black – indeed the only bookings came for dissent, going to the understandably furious defensive line.

Rest assured Ed would be making a complaint of the strongest kind if he could get the French FA to listen to him* - without the ridiculous spot-kicks Bonnel’s goal would have earned Pau a point, as it was they left the ground on the wrong end of a 4-1 scoreline and with a first name on the newly penned ‘hit list’.

-----

Writer’s Note: thanks for removing that feature SI :mad:

maollelujah] 22 November 2004

I loved the complain to the FA feature. I think I would complain after every match. There must be something seriously wrong with the Penalties, because I've given up about 15-20 a season so far... :(

Oh, and nice story, but it does seem vaguely familiar... :p

Cheers Mao, always nice to see one of the 'old' faces still popping in :cool:

As for the FA thing, worst mistake the ever made was taking that out - and I only ever managed to get one Ref sacked :D

23 November 2004

Story is still going strong flippers, there does seem to be an alarming amount of penalties. I seem to get most of them though so thats ok

I also find that more than should happen a keeper will hit a kick off the forward and it eith goes in or the forward scores most of the time, that happen with you?

Can't say I've seen that one too much, usually I suffer from the keeper kicking it into midfield and three opposition players all congregating unchallenged to collect it

Ed stretched out on the leather sofa in his lounge and tore open the envelope. He knew what it would contain, his mother always used the same stationery and her letters always followed a familiar routine; a few bits of gossip, a couple of moans about his father (they were worse than Ed and his sister had been as kids), and then – usually – a cutting or two; she seemed convinced that he still kept the football scrapbook he had started when he was 10-years-old. He skimmed through the neatly handwritten updates

…your sister’s been seeing this chap Colin for a few months now, looks like it might be getting serious…

He knew that, in fact he probably knew more than his mother, Lynne never really liked revealing too much about her love life to Mum, but she would tell Ed what was going on if he asked, and they spoke quite regularly.

…your father is useless, he nearly broke my washing machine when he was painting the kitchen window frames…

The usual then, he’d probably just knocked it with a ladder or something.

…do you remember Andy Smith from your high school? I heard from his mother last week, apparently he’s not been well – they think it might be an ulcer…

The name rang vague bells, but it couldn’t have been anyone that he’d been friends with – still, it wasn’t pleasant news for Mr Smith.

Then the letter went into the usual Are you alright? Are you sure you’re looking after yourself? Have you talked to anyone about the split?. Of course mothers are like that, he knew he couldn’t stop her worrying no matter what he did, but it still wound him up a little, even at his age.

Finally there were a couple of clippings, apparently ones that his father had spotted.

Spurs old boy causing a stir

The clipping was from a long-running Spurs fanzine, although his parents still lived in Huddersfield his father had subscribed to the fanzine’s mailing list as soon Ed had signed for the club. It seemed that one of the writers had made it a habit to track down former players in a ’Where are they now?’ style, and the would-be investigative journalist had tracked Ed down to the French south-west. It was a flattering piece, and Ed allowed his ego to bask in it’s glow for a while, noting that it was dated just before the recent run of defeats.

The second cutting was equally pleasant, a 2-0 home win over Everton had seen his former club continue the unbeaten run that had taken them into a strong early-season 6th place. Ed had to admit that he’d been sceptical when Santini had been given the job – he’d hardly produced the goods from a star studded French national side, but he seemed to have taken to the Premiership well.

Reading through his mother’s letter a second time – not that he expected that he’d missed anything important – he decided that it was time for bed. It had been a long day.

With Pau almost back to full strength he’d been looking forward to a strong showing at Cannes but it had been a struggle, and Ed’s nerves were shot. The home side had launched a barrage of attacks that had kept the re-formed Pau defence alive all through the game. There had been the odd glimmer from his forward line, but the absence of Millereau was still telling. In the end he’d been happy to escape with a goalless draw, and he made a mental note to send the match stats to monsieur Tavelet – four corners conceded, and not one penalty!

With the squad back to full strength, with the exception of Aernoudt, Ed had them playing practise matches of 7-on-7 and 8-on-8, he was trying to decide what his best strike pairing should be and he stumbled on an answer to his midfield dilemna. With Millereau and Tchami back he decided to go with their pairing, the one he’d marked as his first choice at the start of the season. With Bonnel available for the bench this released Testas and Ed realised that the youngster’s willingness to carry the ball might make him the perfect fit for the attacking midfield role that had proved so troublesome.

A 2-1 win over visiting Tours seemed to back up the manager’s thinking, Testas looked confident from the middle of the park, laying on Millereau’s opener and showing a lot of willingness to backtrack too. Combined with the fully fit defence the Pau squad looked to be back to their early season’s best and a stoppage time goal from Cami saw them back in winning ways despite the late late consolation from the visitors

-----

Jacques Leglib was, in Ed’s opinion, the living embodiment of quiet modesty – but even knowing that he was astonished to learn after the game at Racing 92 that the keeper had just played his 100th league game for the club with absolutely no celebration of the landmark at all. What made it even more amazing, in Ed’s eyes at least, was that the keeper had been ready to simply pack his kit and head home after the 2-0 win – this after saving a penalty kick in the first half.

How many keepers, he wondered, would walk away from the centenary game, having saved a penalty and kept a clean sheet, and not even mention the fact?

Of course, once Ed was given the statistic, he had no intention of letting Leglib off and the post-match debrief turned into an impromptu party to see out the month and to herald the hero of the day.

The celebrations went on for some time, there was a palpable sense of relief all through the squad – after the dip in form they seemed to be heading in the right direction again and the month would end with them not far out of the promotion pack.

SEPTEMBER 2004 SUMMARY

Croix de Savoie 3 (Dragacevac 41, Peslier 44, Durand 80)

Pau 0

Man of the Match: Lemasson (Savoie)

News: Elhadji Ba (Pau) sent off 61

Pau 1 (Bonnel)

Nîmes 4 (Rivenet pen 19, pen 39, pen 62, Yao 30)

Man of the Match: Rivenet (Nîmes)

News: Don’t mention the penalties! :mad:

Cannes 0

Pau 0

Man of the Match: Jaureguiberry (Cannes)

Pau 2 (Millereau 13, Cami 90+)

Tours 1 (N’Diaye 90+)

Man of the Match: Coquerel (Tours)

Racing 92 0

Pau 2 (Millereau 10, 75)

Man of the Match: Millereau

News: Apataki (Racing) missed penalty (saved)

25 November 2004

flip - that's Inspector Monkfish to you ... go put your knickers on and make me a cup of tea ;)

With two months of the season behind them Ed had arranged for a meeting with the coaching staff to go over the squad and see how things were looking – obviously things were pretty much as good as could be on the pitch but Ed had never been much of a stats man and he wanted to get other opinions, along with hard data, to back up (or contradict) his own thoughts.

On the whole opinions were fairly well matched, the general consensus was that Ed’s starting XI was about as strong as it could be, although he noted with interest that most of his coaches favoured bringing in Dieudonné Bikoyoi at the back in favour of Adjamossi. Ed took this as being more out of concern for developing their own players, than a criticism of the excellent young fullback’s talents, but he agreed to take a look at Bikoyoi with a view to giving him some first team match time.

“Oh there is just one more thing boss, were you aware that we have the highest rated player in the league in terms of the official statistics?”

“We do?” Ed was taken by surprise there, he obviously believed that there were players performing above what was expected of them, but to have someone playing so consistently well as to be so highly thought of wasn’t something he’d considered. “Who is it then?”

“Well the bad news is it’s Cami…”

“Bad news? Why bad news?”

“Erm, because he’s suspended for the next game”

-----

Nicolas Cami was, indeed, suspended for the visit of Sannois SG, but if it had any great impact on the team then Ed must have missed it. The visitors had started strongly but once they’d scored they tried to sit back.

One of the things that had come out of the meeting had been the general opinion that Bert Tchami was considered to be the number one striker in the squad – maybe a surprise after the season that Millereau had put together so far, but then Tchami had been out injured for most of the campaign. He was back now though, and seemingly ready to prove his worth with a dazzling display that should have produced more than the two goals he ended up with.

After the game Romain Testas knocked on Ed’s office door – he ushered the teenager in and made sure that he was aware how highly he was rated for his contribution so far. The youngster looked embarrassed at this, and for a moment Ed thought that he was going to leave without discussing whatever it was he’d come to see him about.

“Look Romain, if there’s something you need to say, just say it”

Testas shuffled his feet a little, and looked around the room as if trying to find a friendly face – in the end he took a deep breath before speaking in broken English

“I am sorry monsieur Allen, but I am not very happy with the place that I’m playing in the team” he looked almost frightened, as if he expected to be bawled out “it is not my favourite position and I don’t think I can do my best job there”

Ed was puzzled by the youngster’s point, he looked a natural in the role, but obviously he fancied his chances better as a striker. He spent half an hour discussing things with him, reassuring him that he’d done the right thing in coming to voice his concerns, and pointing out that he was behind Bonnel and the established pairing of Tchami and Millereau in the pecking order. He seemed accept his position fully, and went away a little happier.

Ed, on the other hand, knew that he had a minor problem to deal with again.

International action saw Kangu and Adjamossi unavailable for the trip to Bayonne, Ed suffered more than his usual worries over how to redress the balance. The highly rated Bikoyoi was drafted in at the back with Di Bartolomeo, Bédani dropped back into the anchor role, and Ed was forced to bring in N’Zif and Abdoulaye Niang to the midfield trio – hoping that the returning Cami would prove an inspiration to them.

With so many changes, as had happened before, Ed feared a real mauling from their hosts so when Pau had come out charging, with Tchami grabbing an early lead from N’Zif’s through ball, he was surprised to say the least. If his team held any of the same concerns that he did then they weren’t showing it – after the opener they laid siege to the home team’s goalmouth and put the game out of reach in a devastating 25 minute spell.

Not only did N’Zif look comfortable in the ‘dreaded’ midfield role, he seemed to revel in it, his first goal for the club followed before Tchami again scored a second to stitch up the points.

Bikoyoi had, as his coaches had suggested he would, looked assured at the back and even the relatively green Niang seemed to relish the start and the responsibility that came with it. The only thing that could have made the day better would have been a goal for Testas who came off the bench to replace Millereau with 20 minutes to play.

Steady on Ed the manager thought to himself just be glad that they didn’t get slaughtered before you start complaining that you didn’t get the cherry on the icing on the cake!

Frédéric Robin had completed his scouting assignment around the smaller French clubs and Ed wanted to have a chat with him to see if he could recommend anyone to strengthen the squad – he, like the coaching staff, was particularly concerned at the lack of depth in midfield. Despite the unusually good showing in their last game Ed was painfully aware that an injury to Cami or Bédani would have them scrambling to make do, and he would rather have at least one quality backup player before having to rely on less consistent options.

Although he had turned up a couple of promising youngsters they, like Testas, favoured the forward role and after further discussion the pair reluctantly agreed that there was no-one suitable on Robin’s shortlist. Ed decided that they needed to look further afield so he packed the scout off to England to have a look through the lower divisions, of course the transfer window meant that whatever happened, he would be unable to do anything just yet.

By Ed’s calculation that made it eight more games before he could arrange any additions to the squad, with seven men one booking away from suspension they were going to be walking a tightrope, starting with the visit of Besançon – a team who were struggling to find their form as supposed promotion contenders.

-----

Ed could sympathise with the travelling fans to some degree, although Pau clearly created the better chances it was from the spot that the damage was really done and – at a push – Ed would only have said that one of the two penalties were justified. That said he knew better than to turn down a gift and, after all, the result was reflective of the performances on paper.

His concerns over squad depth soon surfaced again though, Niang’s booking and an injury to Adjamossi would mean more juggling for the penultimate game of the month

Ed lay in bed trying to read his book, but it was one of those nights when it just wasn’t going to happen. He’d made about four or five pages from the start of the chapter and he realised that he had no idea what he’d read.

Giving it up as a bad idea he tossed the book onto the armchair in the corner of the room – he was going over and over possible line-ups in his head, even though he’d decided to leave it until tomorrow and bring the coaching staff in on the decision.

Reaching across he clicked on the radio, his French – or lack of – meant that the native channels were next to useless but his digital set picked up a much broader range of transmissions. After a few moments he managed to locate Five Live, the English station were broadcasting one of their late night football phone-ins and Ed drifted off to sleep.

The radio continued to play for an hour, before clicking off, as a seemingly endless stream of Man United fans rang in to bemoan their form – a run of five Premiership games producing only one win, and their beloved Red Devils languishing in a modest 10th place.

-----

Ed woke the next morning feeling particularly bright, though he had no idea why. He showered, made himself some breakfast, and then jumped into the car. It was late October but the sun was out and the air was warm, his favourite sort of day – hinting at the winter to come, yet still mild enough to have the windows down and his sleeves rolled up.

His mood would only improve too, after a day on the training pitches – and pondering the best way to juggle the squad for the weekend game, he watched from the stands as the Pau reserves completed a 5-0 demolition of their Dunkerque counterparts. Not for the first time he made a mental note to keep an eye on Nicolas Sartolou – the striker had now reached 6 goals in 8 reserve matches.

A 0-0 draw at GFCO Ajaccio, whilst delivering another point, was a far from satisfactory for Ed – more disciplinary issues (he’d never been one to argue with Refs as a player, but they were testing his patience as a manager) meant that he spent the run up to the final game of the month trying to work out how to line up with no less than three suspensions, and six players one booking away from one.

It was really starting to get to Ed, it seemed that his side couldn’t get through a game without amassing at least three bookings. His players weren’t dirty, he wasn’t asking them to be particularly aggressive, but the officials just seemed to be very keen to dish out short sharp punishments.

-----

Ed breathed a sigh of relief, with so many changes made he’d set his team out to keep possession and, much as he hated to admit it, kill the game. A goalless draw had been the reward, taking Pau into November in 2nd place, but the future wasn’t looking too bright yet, suspensions were still being served and it seemed that almost the entire squad was walking the yellow card tightrope.

OCTOBER 2004 SUMMARY

Pau 2 (Tchami 15, 53)

Sannois SG 1 (Mavua 12)

Man of the Match: Poinçon (Sannois)

Bayonne 0

Pau 3 (Tchami 17, 40, N’Zif 24)

Man of the Match: Tchami (Pau)

Pau 3 (Bédani pen 16, pen 68, Tchami 73)

Besançon 2 Ouedraogo 19, Debrosse 61)

Man of the Match: Bédani (Pau)

News: Macio (Besançon) sent off 90+

GFCO Ajaccio 0

Pau 0

Man of the Match: Haaby (Ajaccio)

News: Touré (Ajaccio) sent off 62, Bédani (Pau) sent off 83

Pau 0

Rouen 0

Man of the Match: Sergent (Rouen)

The players had left for home, as had most of the staff, and Ed sat alone in the reception area of the club considering the day’s work. At the start of the season a 0-0 draw against the 3rd placed team would have been considered a great success, especially playing away from home – maybe it was a measure of their growing confidence that he felt disappointed, not so much in the scoreline as in the inability to carve out chances.

Sète, though inconsistent of late, were certainly a high-scoring team and they had shown why. It had taken Pau until after half time to create a worthwhile effort from their makeshift midfield – by then Sète were into double figures, but just couldn’t find a way past the excellent Leglib. Nobody had played particularly poorly, he could find no real criticism, but after the results that they had strung together earlier in the campaign he couldn’t help but feel that three goalless games was something of a disappointment for the fans.

He also felt that he ought to be doing more, finding ways to make better use of what he had, but the fact remained that he had a small squad, so small that with the two or three players unavailable for whatever reason, he was basically trying to find the best 16-man squad line-up from a total of 17 men. Until the transfer window opened there wasn’t a great deal he could do

and even then, only if you can get anyone he reminded himself.

Anyway it was time to head home, it was a big day tomorrow, the first Cup draw and he wanted to be in early to try looking at the squad once more, with a clear head. He also had a new member of the backroom staff arriving.

01 December 2004

just caught up with what i've missed of this. very much enjoyed doing so

Cheers Simon, I'm aware that I'm 'guilty' of very short updates at the moment but I'm getting back into the swing of the occasional heavy-weight one now and again ;)

The Cup draw gave Pau an away tie at non-league Calais, no bad thing as far as Ed was concerned. He could get some inside information because he had just signed a second Scout in Serge Lesnard – more good news.

Of course, as a pessimist, he knew that there would be a payoff and two days later it came, Elhadji Ba straining knee ligaments in training and ruling him out until after the winter break. Once again, on the eve of having a full squad to choose form, that choice had been ripped away from him. The fans responded well, telling the local press that it wasn’t the end of the world, that they were still enjoying following a team playing well above their station, to Ed it was yet another ‘bloody typical’ setback.

-----

As seemed to be happening regularly, just when things really started to dip Ed suddenly got a lift, Pau fought out an end-to-end battle with their hosts at Libourne St-Seurin. After going behind early on Ed watched with growing pleasure as his side started to turn the screw, first levelling, then going ahead on the stroke of half time with a wicked free-kick from Di Bartolomeo.

Tchami added a second in the dying minutes, and once again the Pau rollercoaster seemed ready to climb again. The press had started to take notice – despite the spell of stalemates Pau were now on an unbeaten run of 10 games and the media were beginning to ask when the dream would finally start to fade.

Winter was well and truly drawing in, even in the south of France, but you would never have known it from the impromptu celebrations that had taken over the streets of Pau. The sun was setting, the Pyrenees veiled in shadow to the south, and a chill wind was blowing in from the north – none of that seemed to worry the locals who took to the streets in their shirt-sleeves, around 2,500 of them had been at the Stade du Hameau earlier in the day to witness the 6-1 demolition of Roye.

To Ed the picture wasn’t quite so clear cut of course, Roye’s defeat left them at the bottom of the table – only 5 points from 20 games and a goal difference of -44 – hardly indicative of the level of skill that his side faced week in and week out. That said, even he could appreciate the morale boost that the win would undoubtedly give to the lads.

-----

The win, and the way that it had lifted the Pau support, made Ed’s decision easier regarding the French Cup tie. With the problems in squad depth he’d been planning on blooding some youngsters but, if things in the league had not been as good, he probably would have reconsidered – hoping for a big win to boost confidence.

The Roye win had done that job however, so among the starting line-up that had made the trip to Calais were Karim Tafer, Marc-Antoine Correia, Sartolou and a couple of other youngsters who had yet to see first team action.

It was first team regulars who secured the win though, albeit that it needed extra time to settle the game. Sensing their chance against a few of the Pau youngsters Calais had started fast and won a penalty off Bédani, but the midfielder made up for it 6 minutes later by tucking away his own spot kick before the game had descended into a midfield slog.

Running low on time Ed decided to bring a couple of seniors back in as Calais had Ekongolo sent off from defence. It eventually did the job – although not until late in extra time when Bonnel headed home Cami’s cross to finally break the deadlock seconds from the seemingly inevitable shoot-out.

NOVEMBER 2004 SUMMARY

Sète 0

Pau 0

Man of the Match: Leglib (Pau)

Libourne St-Seurin 1 (Delchié 13)

Pau 3 (Tchami 36, 82, Di Bartolomeo 45)

Pau 6 (Cami 10, Tchami 13, 38, Di Bartolomeo 47, Testas 76, 84)

Roye 0

Calais 1 (Binet pen 15)

Pau 2 (Bédani pen 21, Bonnel 119)

French Cup

News: Ekongolo (Calais) sent off 84

03 December 2004

Nice to see you're back in the fold with a typically high quality tale Flip

Heeey, LP! Good to see you mate :cool:

Damn I miss LP's writing, guy had serious class. flipsix3 July 2008

The run up to the winter break proved to be a pain for Ed, Kangu’s suspension for a booking in the game where they threw away a point at Valence was followed by a training ground injury to Jacques Leglib. With Labat and Ba out (both of the right fullback options)*, the influential Cami suspended, and the visit of in-form Romorantin looming, Ed just wanted to get away for a few days and have a break from juggling players for every game – he made arrangements to depart after the final league game before Christmas to see his folks back home, leaving Naïmi in charge of admin that arose.

The Valence game was followed by another 0-0 draw, a creditable result with the starting XI in makeshift mode again. His side had acquitted themselves well enough, although Romorantin maybe edged it on chances, but it was more yellow cards for minor offences that formed Ed’s main concern.

There was a brief respite, Marignane being easily swept aside in the Cup with a 2-0 win that included a first senior goal for Sartolou, coming off the bench to put the tie out of reach. But the final league clash of the year created more headaches.

Valenciennes were pulling themselves out of a slump and Dia’s early goal proved to be enough to take the points. The defeat was disappointing, the injury to Cami, and the booking which would see Di Bartolomeo suspended when the season resumed, were the greater concern though.

---------

*[Writers Note: this “out of position” bug is really annoying me – I’m spending a lot of time filling slots with players who aren’t ideally suited – the fact that they always end up rating a 2 or 3, and their morale plummets from Superb to Very Poor in the space of 90 minutes is having a major impact]

04 December 2004

The story really flows -great stuff

Pau is a pleasant little town, and the region around it is really beautiful. Good choice :)

I'll be curious to see how Khalifa Ba gets on (poor start with that sending-off, but he is quite a decent prospect in a real life).

Cheers Dave, and you're right about Pau - when I started out writing the story again I found some rather stunning photographs of the place - simply beautiful.

As usually happens I've already played a good while in advance of where I'm posting at the moment but I won't make any 'prophecies' on players that might spoil wha the future holds ;)

Ed put his plans to visit his parents on hold for a few days. For starters he really needed to try and make some arrangements to bolster the midfield, and he needed to make them before other clubs had the same idea.

It was also a matter of not wanting to be at his parent’s place over Christmas. He knew they’d love to have him there of course, in fact that was part of the problem, his mother would spend the whole time fussing over him and that was the last thing he wanted. Instead he would have a quiet time at home and then travel back around New Year for a few days.

-----

The combined scouting activities of his two men had produced no more than a handful of possibilities for Ed to look at – it didn’t make good reading, loan deals were not a possibility at this stage of the season and if he was going to spend money, he wanted to make sure he spent it well.

In the end three bids were made, and instructions were left with his assistant, Naïmi, regarding the order of preference.

DECEMBER 2004 SUMMARY

Valence 2 (Aït-Ouarab 49, Leclerq 88)

Pau 1 (Millereau 53)

Man of the Match: Aït-Ouarab (Valence)

Pau 0

Romorantin 0

Man of the Match: Ardéois (Romorantin)

Pau 2 (Millereau 13, Sartolou 70)

Marignane 0

French Cup

Man of the Match: Millereau (Pau)

Valenciennes 1 (Dia 8)

Pau 0

Man of the Match: Bourgeois (Valenciennes)

He arrived in Huddersfield on New Year’s Eve, his mother opened the door with a rare smile, which she quickly concealed by adopting the universal mother’s expression – somewhere between concern and accusation. Ed had come to realise that it was an essential part of being a mother, a facial expression that, at the same time, said; You are eating alright, aren’t you? and What have you been up to? I bet it’s something I’d disapprove of. He kissed her on the cheek and handed her the bouquet of flowers that he’d stopped off to pick up from the local florist.

He walked through the hallway, still full of bookshelves – his father had always been a voracious reader, nothing fancy mind you, no fiction for Mr Allen senior, the shelves bowed under the weight of biographies and political histories. In the lounge his father was dozing in front of the television, he’d evidently drifted off whilst watching JFK, Kevin Costner was pointing out a vital piece of evidence to the jury

“Back and to the left, back and to the left, back… and to the left”.

He decided to leave Dad in peace for now, and followed his mother through to the conservatory to answer the obligatory questions.

Yes… he was fine, eating properly, and his job was a long way from being too stressful.

No, he hadn’t heard anything from Sonja, and he really didn’t want to talk about it anyway.

No, he wasn’t bottling it all up, he was fine, and it was history now.

No, he didn’t know where she was, and can we just change the subject please?

He’d arranged to come back for a long weekend, maybe take his father to a game on Saturday, and already he was wondering if he’d made the right decision. Of course he had, he knew that, but Mum could be infuriating at times – luckily he was saved by the bell, his mother’s best friend rang and that was her sorted for the next hour or two.

Whilst his folks loved to do the family thing at Christmas they, like Ed, were not great fans of New Year celebrations. Ed took them out for dinner but it was a quiet evening, no late-night partying, and they returned home in plenty of time to toast the new year as a family.

Once the grilling from his mother was over (it took a while, the conversation was re-started shortly after breakfast on New Year’s Day), and a quick review of the French league delivered to his father over lunch; (Bunch of daisies if you ask me lad, they’re probably all too busy doing their makeup to listen to tactical advice), things returned to ‘normal’.

His mother questioning everything that Dad did, always suggesting – in the way that only wives can – that he should have done almost exactly what he had done, but wording the suggestion so carefully as to make it seem like her way was infinitely more logical. In the end, as was always the way, his father conceded that, of course, Mum knew best and he’d change his ways forthwith – knowing damn well that the same conversation would start the next time he did anything – he tipped a wink to Ed as he feigned defeat and they grabbed their coats and made for the door.

-----

Things had changed dramatically at Huddersfield since Ed’s days as a player, he’d left before the move to the impressive Galpharm stadium – it was a far cry from the Leeds Road ground where he’d first caught the attention of top-flight scouts.

Unfortunately the Terriers’ performances had not always matched their ground, and the fact was that they were not having a good season. Ed and his father enjoyed a goalfest but, unfortunately, the home side only responded after Port Vale tucked away three in the opening half-hour. The final score was 4-2 to Vale, for a while Huddersfield had looked like they had the momentum to force a point but Billy Paynter’s strike on 70 minutes killed off any fight and left the Terriers two points from the safety of 20th place.

The manager in Ed had taken a back seat, but refused to lie down completely, and he found himself asking his father, who did venture to a dozen or so home games each season, to keep an eye on Aaron Hardy – a teenage midfielder who seemed to have plenty to offer. Of course he knew that the Terriers would be looking for money far beyond the means of Pau at present, but there was no telling what the future held.

The weekend was over all too quickly, and after his mother finally let him go – insisting that he take assorted groceries back in his case – he made for Manchester airport and caught the flight back to France.

Returning to the villa he fired up his laptop and checked for messages, there was good news waiting for him, as well as Tchami and Bikoyoi signing new deals, Naïmi had finalised the signing of Djamel Mahamat Bindi from Bayonne – the midfielder, a Libyan born holder of a Chad passport, would slot straight into the first team.

He unpacked his clothes, and put his mother’s food parcel away. He was knackered, and all he wanted was a bath and an early night.

-----

“Hey babe, how are you?” it was Sonja’s voice, he knew that immediately, and there she was – framed in the doorway to the bedroom. It was as if the past few months had been his imagination, she was there where she belonged, back with him…

…and the CD-alarm kicked in.

What you say, and what you do

Is a contradiction to the life that’s safe and sound

(safe and soooouuunnd)

Ed rolled over and whacked the ‘sleep’ button – probably too hard but then the damn thing had wrenched him from his dream. His dream, why was she suddenly back and haunting him again? He’d pretty much exorcised her, at least from his conscious mind, but now her face kept coming to him in quiet moments. He blamed it on his mother… and Gazza of course, when would people learn not to keep asking about her?

Archived