[FM10] Rise of the Lordly Ones - SBV Excelsior Rotterdam

Saithis

1004v.png

SBV Excelsior Rotterdam

Rise of the Lordly Ones

Information:

This is my first thread of this type for Football Manager, although not the first time I've done such a thing...

I'm not picking the most challenging club selection ever made, but I chose one that would entertain me while offering some interest at the same time - SBV Excelsior Rotterdam. I've also borrowed some code and formatting from other threads I've read - hope nobody minds!

As for the game itself, the details are as follows:

FM2010 1.02 Update

• 56 leagues open across 43 nations, including all major european leagues...
  • Using an early version of a mod I am working on which vastly increases the power and wealth of east and south asian footballing nations (primarily Japan, China, India, South Korea and Indonesia) and the likelihood that they will produce good players.
  • 125,000 players database.
  • No other rules of import.

I'm doing this purely for fun and to give me a place to share my exploits with a team I'm liking quite a bit, as well as giving me a place to point friends to. My goal is, unsurprisingly enough, to make Excelsior the biggest team in Europe by the time I'm done.

This might take some time, based on some of the infrastructure I've been given to work with...

SBV Excelsior Rotterdam

MEDIA PREDICTION: 3rd in the Nederlands Jupiler League

SBV Excelsior Rotterdam (hereforth to be referred to as 'Excelsior' for short) is one of the largest clubs in the Netherlands. It's a professional outfit in operation since 1902, well-known through the nation. Rotterdam, being one of the largest and most influential cities in the Netherlands, holds two other major clubs of note: Sparta Rotterdam and Feijenoord Rotterdam. Feijenoord is one of the largest and most powerful teams in the country if not in Europe and overshadows its lesser neighbours in every respect, one of the "big three" of the Eredisivie.

Based in Stadion Woudenstein, built in the year 2000, their pitch is in very good condition with seats sufficient for 3,527, Excelsior fails to impress. It's facilities are thoroughly average (although the presence of a formal youth academy alleviates this disappointment somewhat). Excelsior is, however, a feeder club for its larger neighbour of Feijenoord, receiving regular shipments of youths on loan for training.

The club's finances are in concern, although there is no owed debt, the stadium's small size brings in little revenue and the sponsorship deals bring the greatest income to the books. Key to Rotterdam's success will be finding the increase to infrastructure necessary to overcome the challenge.

With the departure of Excelsior manager Ton Lokhoff, most expected Alex Pastoor to take over in the role, but much to their surprise, an unknown manager was appointed by Excelsior chairman Peter Bos.

Qatari-Dutch women's international player Amina Saleh, recently-retired from international football and without contract, was picked up for a managerial role. Captain of the Qatar Women's Football team with 43 caps and 14 goals, she was a skilled attacking midfielder for the international minnow and earned her plaudits despite never taking the team to any real success. Retiring from normal football at the conventional age at the young age of 33, many fans felt she lacked the experience to bring Excelsior forward - none were even sure how she was appointed.

Peter Bos gave her the full approval and insisted that there was no one better for the job. Jeering fans wondered how a woman could lead a football club to glory.

They were about to be proven wrong.

Season       Club         GP    W    D    L    GF    GA    DIF    DAYS IN JOB    EARNINGS|
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
2009/10    Excelsior       0    0    0    0     0     0     0       0               0    |
                                                                                        |
                                                                                        |
                                                                                        |
                                                                                        |
                                                                                        |
                                                                                        |
                                                                                        |
                                                                                        |
                                                                                        |
                                                                                        |

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
TOTAL (includes INT)                                                                    |

Season    Club          |  League      |  Country      | Position (of) |        Achievements         |
------------------------|--------------|---------------|---------------|-----------------------------|
2009/10    Excelsior   |Jupiler League|   Netherlands |  ??? (20)     |Joined Jul 06                |
                       |              |               |               |                             |

Trophy Cabinet

Season        Team          Country       |  Competition  |
------------------------------------------|---------------|
                                         |               |
                                         |               |
                                         |               |
                                         |               |
                                         |               |

International Career

Season       Team      | GP    W    D    L    GF    GA    DIF    Days in Job |   ACHIEVEMENTS   |
-----------------------|-----------------------------------------------------|------------------|
                      |                                                     |                  |

Pre-Season Summary:

04/07/09: Excelsior 0 - 2 Zürich

07/07/09: Cham 0 - 5 Excelsior

08/07/09: Excelsior 3 - 2 Excelsior Reserves

12/07/09: Excelsior 0 - 2 Feijenoord

15/07/09: Excelsior 2 - 6 FC Twente

23/07/09: Excelsior 0 - 1 US Créteil-Lusitanos

26/07/09: Ijsselmeervogels 0 - 2 Excelsior

31/07/09: Excelsior 3 - 1 Padova

4 wins, 4 losses

The pre-season brought mixed results although the high attendances the matches against superior opposition provided for good additional revenue and the two wins near the end of the pre-season meant that Excelsior was in good spirits for the start of the Jupiler League season.

Squad News:

On the 18th of July, experienced journeyman goalkeeper Sébastian Hamel, currently playing for Antwerp on trial after failing to break into a number of teams in the French Ligue 1. Antwerp fans were disappointed to hear that he would instead sign not for Antwerp but for Jupiler League team Excelsior Rotterdam on a free. He is the first and only transfer of the window, one which left Excelsior manager Amina Saleh heavily limited due to an utter lack of funding.

On-form right-back Sigourney Bandjar expressed unhappiness at not being allowed to leave the club after Amina Saleh rejected a €150,000 bid for her best full-back, stating that the offer was not sufficient to replace a player of his caliber.

Staff News:

Nothing of note.

Early Season Report:

2 wins

Excelsior 1 - 0 Go Ahead Eagles

(Kermit Erasmus 35)

A scrappy match where GAE were lucky to escape with only one goal - they never looked threatening going forward and despite a number of good chances, Excelsior only managed to put 4 shots on target, with four times that going into the stands. Pundits commented that they would need to improve their finishing in future if they wanted to push onwards.

Excelsior 2 - 1 FC Dordrecht

(Tim Vincken 38; Michel Janota 50 - Marcel van der Sloot 18)

An evenly-matched event with both teams playing aggressive, open football. Excelsior were perhaps a little better and their win was not undeserved but they would have liked to have won by a larger margin. Excelsior manager Amina Saleh claimed in the pre-match press conference that Excelsior had what it takes to win this years Jupiler League and as they now sit in 2nd place on GD, her claim may not be an unreasonable one.

Archived