[FM10] Careering through Non League

greenjonty09

Using the 10.2 patch allied with Super Bladesman's English League to level 10 update I've decided to start a career game starting at the lowest possible level and seeing how I get on.

My chosen team is South Kilburn FC of the Hellenic League Division 1 East. Formed in 2005 and initially playing in the Middlesex County League Division 1. Finishing 3rd from bottom in their inaugural season, the club has since undergone a rapid progression finishing as Champions in 2006/7 earning promotion to the Premier Division.

A runners up position was acheived in 2007/8 and their application to join the Hellenic League was accepted and they were placed in Division 1 East. Their first season at Senior level was very successful as the club finished 6th, some 26 points off promotion.

So, the beginning of the 2009/10 season in a new home, Vale Farm. Not the Vale Farm of Wembley FC and currently shared by Hendon FC, but just across the car park behind the Leisure Centre, here. So, with a new management team in place consisting of me, my assistant, former Enfield, Boreham Wood and Barnet defender David McDonald and coach Heather Rabbatts (that's right, a girl) we could look forward to the coming season with a lot of excitement.

Despite our 6th placed finish the previous season the local hacks had us finishing a predicted 15th, whilst we entered the FA Vase and London Senior Cup for the first time. I spent pre-season completely re-shaping the squad, which actually proved a great deal easier than expected given the fact that all I had to offer players was Amateur contracts. I managed to get in 19 players from higher level Non League clubs, enticing them all with the promise of regular football, and 3 17 year olds on loan from local professional clubs. Yes, I know 22 doesn't go into 11, but I'll jump that bridge when I come to it.

To the action then!

August 2009

12th August 2009:

South Kilburn 2-1 Milton United

We began the season with a home match against Milton United of Oxfordshire. The side I selected was below.

1.Ryan Rayner

2.Alex Phillips	6.Joe McNerny		5.Dan Sintim	3.Danny Bunce

7.Danny Hart	4.Vernon Francis	8.Jamie Busby	11.Jide Ogonbute

10.Marko Mitrovic	9.Johnny Humphreys

Subs: 12.Carl Ridley, 14.Pat O'Donnell, 15.Alex Stavrinou, 16.Derek Quaye, 17.Jack Carlile

Given that it was the first time the players' had played together I was pleased with the start we made. Just 7 minutes were on the clock when 17 year old former Sutton man Johnny Humphreys played the ball in behind the back 4 for fellow teenager and Chelsea loanee Marko Mitrovic to run onto and tuck the ball confidently left footed into the bottom corner. We held the lead until 12 minutes from time, fully in control of the game but unable to kill it off when Milton's midfielder Steve Garner was given time and space 25 yards out to unleash a thunderbolt that left Ryan Rayner clutching at thin air as it flew into the top corner of the net. The goal might have knocked the stuffing out of us, so I was really pleased when 5 minutes from time Mitrovic got to the by-line on the right edge of the penalty area and cut the ball back for substitute Alex Stavrinou, on loan from Charlton, to smash the ball home from 12 yards for what turned out to be the winner.

22nd August 2009

Prestwood 0-0 South Kilburn

A 10 day break meant that we approached the away game at Prestwood lacking a little in match sharpness. I made 3 changes from the side that beat Milton, Arsenal's 17 year old defender Luke Ayling replacing Joe McNerny, Alex Stavrinou for Vernon Francis and Mohammed Dikuiza taking Johnny Humphreys' place up front. Our trusty minibus got us to the ground without problems, unfortunately our performance was pretty stuttering. We struggled to get going, and against a well organised back 4 huffed and puffed without success. At the end of the day a point and clean sheet wasn't a bad return.

30th August 2009

South Kilburn 3-0 Thame

Our 3rd league match of the season saw us take on bottom of the pile Thame, who had lost their first 2 games 3-1. In pursuit of victory, I made just one change with Rory Hill replacing Jide Ogunbute on the left flank. The first half saw us in complete control, but despite our dominance, chance after chance went begging. The breakthrough finally came 10 minutes after half time in controversial circumstances when Alex Stavrinou went down easily in the box. The Thame defenders were furious, insisting the Cypriot Under 21 international had dived and to be honest, from where I was it looked that way. Still, Marko Mitrovic showed no sympathy and blasted the penalty home. 6 minutes later it was 2-0, the Thame defence tied themselves in knots trying to clear a Stavrinou corner and the ball fell kindly for Mitrovic to swivel from 10 yards and smash the ball into the roof of the net. An 11 minute hatrick was completed at the midway point of the 2nd half when Rory Hill slipped Mitrovic in behind the Thame back four, the Swede took a couple of touches before sliding the ball past the exposed goalkeeper.

The win meant that we ended the month top of the table with 7 points from 9. In addition, the powers that be saw fit to award me the Manager of the Month award for August. All in all, a pretty decent start.

Archived