Better players, worse results

Alright managers,

Been the Leyton Orient manager for 6 years and the best I have ever done was last season when I finished 8th. The club was taken over and I got quite a bit of £££ to sign some new players. Brought in 3 players (DC, DMC and AMC) who were considerably better than my previous players. I have kept the same tactic (4-4-2 diamond, short passing style, slightly attacking using the DMC as a playmaker, defence pushed up 3/4 and playing off side).

Problem is that using the same tactics as last season and including my new, much better players, I am getting stuffed by everyone. i have played 12 games of the next season and lost 9 of them... the games that I won, the oppo outplayed me and I scored a lucky 1-0 win.

Cant understand why? Obviously, it would seem that I need to change my tactics, but should I go for a mass overhaul, or slightly tweak them?

Cheers

LM

I don think you need a massive overhaul of your tactics.

I would hazard a guess and say that your three players are perhaps what caused the slight downturn in fortunes for your team so far, especially since they play in the central areas of the pitch where they are most key battles are likely to take place.

Questions to ask about the 3 players:

1. Are they of English nationality or do they speak English? This would be vital in ensuring that there is good communication in the central defence and midfield areas.

2. You mentioned that they are of considerably better quality than your previous players, and I have no reason to doubt your judgment on them, but do your tactics suit them? For e.g., playing a high line of defence with a slow CB generally would be a poor decision, but this can be offset if the CB has high positioning or is partnered with a pacey CB. So my advice would be to look at your tactics, and note whether they are playing to your player's strengths.

3. Generally, your team should be able to adapt to and attain a good understanding of your tactics after 10 games plus or so. Still, you should still try to watch a few matches in full to note areas of your tactics that you can improve on. A simple tweak in certain areas is usually what it takes to enhance a tactic, but the main problem is identifying those areas and trying to achieve the desired play you are looking for.

Regards

If the players you brought in are much much bettter than the rest of your squad, it may cause a serious problem. All other players think that those 3 players will guarantee the result and those 3 players know that they are much better and undeperform. Plus, have you ever analysed why you are losing? I mean: is there any pattern how you conceede; why you cannot score more; etc.

Archived