FM22 - Set pieces: How do I get one of my players to take up a position about 10 yards outside the box to collect clearing headers?

I've never really been able to figure out a good way to do this, on either offense or defense. I do this myself in real life all the time; if you pick your position right, you can collect 75% of cleared balls and either have a great shooting opportunity or simply recycle the play to have a second go at putting the ball in the mixer on offense, or allowing your team to clear its lines on defense. Yet in FM, if the ball is headed or punched up the middle of the pitch, the first person to get to it is seemingly always the other team. If it goes to the flanks, someone has to backtrack a mile to go get it, and then instantly passes it back to the corner taker, who is, of course, five yards offside. 

On 14/09/2023 at 14:15, Vossenoren said:

I've never really been able to figure out a good way to do this, on either offense or defense. I do this myself in real life all the time; if you pick your position right, you can collect 75% of cleared balls and either have a great shooting opportunity or simply recycle the play to have a second go at putting the ball in the mixer on offense, or allowing your team to clear its lines on defense. Yet in FM, if the ball is headed or punched up the middle of the pitch, the first person to get to it is seemingly always the other team. If it goes to the flanks, someone has to backtrack a mile to go get it, and then instantly passes it back to the corner taker, who is, of course, five yards offside. 

You could probably increase your probability by having 2 players in DM on support and by reducing the verticality of your team. Just off the top of my head, if the space between your D-line and forwards is low, there is more chance your non-defensive players will pick up the second balls. Then with the support duties your players will want to be close to the play more and make themselves more available.

Other than that, tackling/timing of the challenge, height/jumping, aggression, stamina, speed and work rate will count for something when it comes to second balls as well.

Edited by HotPizza87