[FM23] I’m not lost. I’m exploring...

Ghost Into Space

To begin the end of season run, we faced Cuiabá at home. Just before we played this match, Atlético Mineiro played their game in hand (against Red Bull Bragantino - They were handy for something) and drew which meant finishing in the top six places was in our own hands. 

Against Cuiabá, we went 2-0 up just after the 30 minute mark before they pulled one back but we snatched a third goal halfway through the second half to run out 3-1 winners. A fairly straight forward win and exactly what we needed.

fm23_santos_match030.thumb.png.b9cacee21790c3bd2754e358f6cee421.png

Next up was Flamengo, away, who still had a really good chance at winning the league with their stacked squad. It wasn't going to be an easy match and the scoreline really showed that. They were 2-0 up after 15 minutes and despite us managing to make it 2-1, they absolutely battered us and ended up winning 5-1.

fm23_santos_match031.thumb.png.08133ea84d069f1a0313b8f18872d5fd.png

A truly humbling defeat against one of the big boys but luckily Atlético Mineiro also lost which meant they were 1 point behind us heading into the last game of the season. It was still in our own hands.

The final game of the season and it was at home to struggling Ceará who needed to win to stay in the division. We needed to win to qualify for the Copa Libertadores. It wasn't going to be an easy match but I was quietly confident given our home form.

We got off to the perfect possible start and soon went 2-0 up just before the 15 minute mark. We very much dominated the entire match and should have added to our total on a couple of occasions including a disallowed goal. However, it wasn't to be but we ended up winning 2-0 and qualification for the Copa Libertadores in the bag.

fm23_santos_match032.thumb.png.11e1d42562d5048c7920c55fa61f4882.png

And that was that.

In the end, it was a brilliant season from a team who were really struggling when I first took over. Corinthians ended up winning the league by just 1 point and we snuck into the Copa Libertadores qualifying spaces also by just 1 point (although we had a much greater goal difference).

fm23_santos_2223finaltable.png.a56833b79ce9d4880eaa8829b3fae903.png

Two wins to end our season (after that lengthy spell without a game) and no surprise as to where the loss came from. I think it shows how good of a result that 1-1 draw was when we played Flamengo at home a few weeks earlier.

fm23_santos_november22table.thumb.png.9e884f9ee6b1c32deaa0791d72d9a4f3.png

And confirmation of our qualification into the Copa Libertadores for next season - Well above what the board wanted us to achieve this season (which was to avoid relegation. It's safe to say we certainly did that)

fm23_santos_copalibatoresquali2223.thumb.png.3352c1fef4f1bd2059b5f5ef4e8591ef.png

What a journey and thoroughly enjoyable.