Pressing Strategies and Traps like Ten Hag

What i saw in this video uploaded is very interesting. But, I’m curious, is it really possible to replicate this setup in FM 23 with OI’s? If not possible, what’s the alternative or closest setup to press and trap oppositions like this?. I’m assuming the formation used in this setup can be implemented in a 4231 or 433

Edited by awesomeveekthor

45 minutes ago, awesomeveekthor said:

No help? Or not possible?

You can use "show onto foot" and "mark tighter" to funnel opposition into an area of pitch you'd like from the PIs/OIs. You can then play around with the pressing meters of the players within the pressing trap itself. 

In terms of that specific pressing style, I would look for roles/players capable of working off the ball. Doesn't seem like any real specific patterns of pressing are occurring, it's a high press with no passengers. I would recommend using support roles and then tinkering further in their PIs in a 4-3-3.

Ajax systems are big on building up from the back with two BPD (w/ a  left footed CB) + a strong SK. If you're looking for a tactical recreation those could be good starting points.

Edited by Cloud9

On 09/07/2023 at 02:01, Cloud9 said:

would recommend using support roles and then tinkering further in their PIs in a 4-3-3.

From the looks of it, seems Ajax ST, Wingers and FB’s close down more often than the midfield 3 as they employ man marking on the their opponents.

Do u think using the TI “press more often” and setting PI on my midfield 3 to “close down less often” a good idea?

or should i just set PI to just “mark tighter”?

5 hours ago, awesomeveekthor said:

From the looks of it, seems Ajax ST, Wingers and FB’s close down more often than the midfield 3 as they employ man marking on the their opponents.

Do u think using the TI “press more often” and setting PI on my midfield 3 to “close down less often” a good idea?

or should i just set PI to just “mark tighter”?

What about using Counter Press? 

• Usually I recommend people avoid this but with a Ajax high press re-creation attempt I'd say go for it. You could then make changes to the PIs of players from there based on how it plays. 

If you go for the individualized tinkering:

• In terms of PIs vs Tis, I believe the PIs carry priority over the Tis so just keep that in mind when you're crafting your re-creation. I wouldn't go so far as "close down less often," you might just leave the CMs PIs blank and alter the wide/front players to press more. Looks like the DM holds in front of the backline so I'd just tick "hold position" on whatever role you play there. 
  • The TI "press more often" will encourage them to trigger the press more often than they would on their own, but they won't press high all the time: like it sounds like you're looking for. Could be useful as a complimentary TI, but not enough as a solo change to make the pressing system tick I think. 
  • Mark tighter will give you a different effect, I'd save that one for another day or if there's a specific pressing trap you're trying to create on the pitch. 

Final note:

• Show onto foot is a pressing instruction, so I'd play with that as well. 
Edited by Cloud9