Ragusa to riches (the toe-end of the boot)

nerf

...and I'll be joining the CL trophy in Spain, but only for a week and fortunately in real life icon_wink.gif. Bit of a holiday planned, so no updates for at least the next ten days or so - sorry! Vive L'Espagne icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

arghh... what?? Hi. Havnt been keeping up with the wonderful story of late.. but just spent a few hours catching and cant beleive I hvae caught up... you always seem to leave people wanting more..no offence but hurry up and get it going..im dieing here icon_biggrin.gif

ps. im sure I aint th eonly one.

Great story

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mark247:

ps. im sure I aint th eonly one.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No,you aren't icon_biggrin.gif

Alright, alright, keep your hair on icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the comments everybody. Now, where were we...

Saturday 2nd June 2007

A week of planning, training, instructing, resting and worrying later, we are in Lanciano for the big one. To the victor, a place in the playoff final and an extended chance for Serie B status; to the failure, a summer of what-ifs and the guarantee of another season in Serie C1/B. Having Simone Tamburro back from suspension is a boost for our preparations, as our club captain is now able to take his leadership qualities on to the pitch as well as off it.

Serie C1/B Promotion Playoffs Semi Final 2nd Leg

Lanciano v Ragusa

Ragusa lineup - Lenea; Tamburro©, Fumagalli, Attewell, Sabellini; Cooke, Orlando, Mignani, Chiavarini; Fonseca, Baggio.

Over 5,600 people were spread across the Guido Biondi's banked benches in the summer warmth, and the home fans cheered their rossoneri on to edge the first half in terms of possession. Unfortunately for them that possession was not converted into strong chances, with Giuseppe Lenea only troubled once from four wayward efforts. In response, our only opportunity was provided by a whipped corner from Fonseca, when Luca Orlando got up well to get the header in but it did not carry enough power to beat Luca Ferro.

We spent most of the first half defending but had survived through to half-time with the scores level and our first leg advantage still in tact. Stuart Attewell was standing strong at the back, but during the break I tried to encourage the players to hang on to possession more, play the simple passes and not allow Lanciano to dominate the ball. Just forty-five minutes to hang in there and protect our lead. Lanciano, of course, needed a single goal to see them through, the playoff rules of the Italian league dictating that, in the event of a draw, the team placed higher in the league automatically advances. Surely we couldn't keep them out for the entire match? Well, we'd done it for the first half...

Thirteen minutes into the second period, everything changed. For the better. Stephen Cooke dribbled down the left wing, attracted two defenders, delayed his pass, then squeezed a cross into the area. Daniel Fonseca, hero of the first leg, held off the close attentions of Lanciano defender Massimo Del Prete, turned, and fired a shot at goal from ten yards. I never saw the ball hit the back of the net, my view was obscured by arms and bodies as our dugout exploded onto the side of the pitch. While Fonseca turned and jogged towards Stephen Cooke, arms outstretched, the travelling band of Ragusa tifosi went mad high up at the back of the stand behind the goal. A 2-0 lead on aggregate and only half an hour remaining, we were going to the final!

Seeing their season slip away from them, Lanciano grew increasingly desperate but continued to try hasty efforts from range. As we had discovered to our cost back in September, midfielder Adriano Mezavilla fancies himself from anywhere within thirty yards, but fortunately for us his sights were misaligned today and he was unable to find the target. Paulo Magno did better however, dipping a twenty-five yarder onto Lenea's crossbar to provide a reminder that this was not over yet.

Just after the hour mark, my Lanciano counterpart finally decided that something had to be done. Out onto the touchline, alongside teammate Giancarlo Galli, stepped seventeen year old Mattia Pagano. Seventeen? Dwarfing the fourth official, Mattia looked like a man mountain. Roll Christian Vieri back a few years and you might come close. "Stuey!", I bellowed from the technical area. Defender Stuart Attewell glanced over at me jabbing my thumb towards the substitute, and nodded in acknowledgement. This was not over yet.

This was not over yet. Lanciano's first attack revealed a new direction - no hopeful, erratic long distance shot into the crowd behind Lenea's goal, but a high, swirling chip towards the edge of our area - and Pagano's first touch was to win a header in commanding fashion. The knock down fell nicely for Ivan Tisci and I held my breath as his right foot connected sweetly on the volley, but Giuseppe Lenea was there, flying to his right to parry the ball away in fantastic style. This was not over yet.

Despite Lanciano's tactical shift, we were able to keep them at bay for the next ten minutes, and the frustration was starting to show on the home fans and some of the home players. It came to a head when Lanciano forward Simone Malatesta, who had been mouthing off to the referee all match long, finally saw yellow for one verbal protestation too many. Disharmony and anger are encouragement to the foe, but this was not over yet. Eddy Baggio was starting to tire, so I made a change of my own - Massimo Costagliola went on in a straight swap.

The high balls continued to worry our defence, the clock ticked round to 82 minutes... the substitutes linked. Giancarlo Galli made good progress on the right while fending off Stephen Cooke and dug out a curler towards the near post. This time the ball in was a good one, a very good one, and Mattia Pagano's large frame rose high in the air above, surprisingly, Carlo Mignani, and the header survived Lenea's clawing glove to bounce in off the woodwork. A goal ahead, ten minutes to go, the ball fresh in our net... we've been here before... I looked hopefully at the linesman but this was not Acireale, this time there was no flag, no offside; the goal stood, the scores were level. 1-1 on the day, 2-1 on aggregate. This was not over yet.

We packed men behind the ball, seven minutes to hang on. Lanciano piled forward in numbers, seven minutes to score that all important goal. Danilo Sabellini cleared his lines. It seemed like the entire stadium was on it's feet now - both dugouts, both sets of fans. The air crackled with nervous energy. Simone Tamburro hacked the ball upfield and Massimo Costagliola chased... to no avail. The ball was pumped back into our defensive half.

Simone Malatesta, mouthy and malevolent, received the ball and turned to fire a low pass into the melee on the edge of our area. Tisci deftly laid off a first time ball sideways and suddenly there was a bruising wrestling match between Pagano and Attewell with their backs to goal. Arms and elbows flew, shirts were tugged, but, despite Stuart being no weak opponent, there was only one winner here. Fighting and battling, Pagano twisted to his right and wriggled free, somehow digging the ball out of his feet as he stumbled into the area. Even with Attewell clinging desperately to the red-and-black jersey, Pagano swung a tree trunk leg as he fell, sweeping the ball off the ground towards goal.

Every pair of eyes in the Guido Biondi watched it spin perfectly into the top corner of the net. And that, as they say, was that.

Final score: Lanciano 2 - 1 Ragusa

(2-2 on aggregate, Lanciano advance by virtue of league position)

Thanks Brian, NinjaFish and veelhousen icon_smile.gif

Sunday 3rd June 2007

How thin the line twix success and failure. How confident we had been at two goals to the good! How shocked, dismayed and disappointed we were at the final whistle. Quite the turn-around. If only we could have hung on in the last five minutes. Maybe if I had sent on an extra defender instead of Massimo. Maybe if Carlo Mignani, a midfielder, hadn't been left alone in a mismatch with Pagano at the near post. Maybe if Fonseca's lob in the first leg hadn't come back off the post. Maybe if Gaspare and Giancarlo had been fit in the first place. Maybe, maybe, maybe... sleep won't come easy tonight.

Lessons have been learnt. Harsh lessons. Arguably our biggest mistake was the lackadaisical manner in which we approached the away trip to Lecco on the final day of the regular season. We went, we played poorly, we deserved a 0-2 defeat. So delighted were we to have already confirmed our playoff berth, we paid little heed to the importance of finishing positions. Meanwhile, Lanciano fired themselves up and smashed four goals past Trento, to crown their strong finish by nipping above us in the final standings. What an impact that oversight had.

The difference on the day itself was obviously young Mattia Pagano, a Lanciano youth product. Tall, strong, and built like a brick outhouse yet quick with it, he had too much for Stuart Attewell to handle and caused havoc in our defence. Not only did he do that and bag both goals, he also initiated a change in Lanciano's strategy. For 150 minutes of the semi final they had been peppering us with long range shots without any significant success, but when Pagano appeared they started getting it into the mixer and stirring up all kinds of trouble. Perhaps I should have sent Pietro Alderuccio on to do a man-to-man job, sacrificing Fonseca in attack... well, Pietro had only just recovered from his rib injury... so many possibilities.

Monday 4th June 2007

We knew we couldn't end the season on a down note like that, and made arrangements for the entire squad to attend a light training session throughout today. Despite my lack of sleep, I wasn't willing to let the players drift away and mull over the disappointment all summer long. We kicked off with some upbeat and enjoyable exercises to try and lift their spirits, then got together afterwards for a bit of morale boosting reflection.

We had, after all, had a very successful season. Ragusa's first attempt at Serie C1 football had not resulted in the relegation battle that everyone else had been expecting, instead it had been a tussle to remain amongst the promotion playoff positions. Even more so, at one point we were even hovering over the shoulder of leaders Sambenedettese, though in truth, despite Trento's best efforts late on, the eventual champions had looked the most likely to win it for a good portion of the campaign. Not only had we proven that we could compete at this level but we had even looked like one of the better teams in the division, and our final position justifies that claim. It was particularly evident towards the end of the season during our unbeaten run of twelve matches, spanning February through to May. It's a shame that we couldn't carry that form into the playoffs, but on the whole the players can be proud of what they achieved this season. We made a point of telling them just that.

Today's gathering also gave us the chance to say goodbye to Daniel Fonseca as a team, who had played his last for Ragusa. I regret that his final appearance ended in such gutting fashion - it had all been set up so perfectly, with a goal from Daniel in each leg about to take us into the playoff final, but sadly it wasn't to be. The Uruguayan was not the only one to annouce his retirement either, as head physio Salvatore Rinzillo gave us all a surprise by declaring that he was bowing out too as he approaches 60 years old.

A real shame Nerf,but look it at the bright side.You just continue now with upgrading your team and next season when you promote you will be more competive than ever icon_smile.gif

Sorry Ninjafish - there's been a strange coincidence where me buying Pro Evo Soccer 3 last week has led to me finding less time to write this week! Not sure how that happened icon_wink.gif. I've got something in progress, it's just taking a while. Patience icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Giornale Di Sicilia, Martedì 5 Giugno 2007

DANIEL FONSECA RITIRA

by Sebastiano Pesci

Following almost twenty years in the professional game, one of Uruguay's most famous sons is calling it a day. Daniel Fonseca, formerly of Napoli and Juventus, announced today his decision to hang up those twinkling boots.

"I am going home to spend time with my extended family in Uruguay", said Fonseca, 37. "Then I may return to Italy with my wife and decide how to go forward. I like playing football but I just want to do other things now".

Fonseca spent most of his career in Italian football, where he will be remembered most for his time with Serie A giants Juventus, Roma and Napoli. For his home country he earned 28 international caps, reaching double-figures in goals in the process, and fans in Uruguay nicknamed him "the tiger" for the way he pounced with speed and went for the kill with his deadly, left-footed finishing.

In September 1969, Daniel Caris Fonseca was born in Montevideo, Uruguay. At the age of 20, after two years with hometown club Nacional Montevideo, he competed on the biggest stage of all when he was selected to represent the Uruguayan national team at the 1990 World Cup in Italy. His goal in the last minute of a game against South Korea, in Udine, was enough to win the match and carry his team into the second round of the competition. Unfortunately the Uruguayans were then eliminated by the host nation, but Fonseca had done enough to earn himself an immediate move to Italian club Cagliari, where he made his Serie A debut shortly after his 21st birthday.

Just two seasons with Cagliari was enough to convince former champions Napoli to make a £6 million swoop for the young forward, to bring him to the mainland to play alongside the likes of Antonio Careca and Gianfranco Zola. Here Fonseca flourished, amassing the best goals-to-game ratio of his career by netting 31 times in 52 appearances.

By 1994 Fonseca had moved to Italy's capital to join AS Roma in another multi-million pound transfer. The following year he returned home for the summer as Uruguay hosted the Copa America, a campaign that was to end in glory as the hosts achieved their 14th Copa America triumph. Fonseca scored the opening goal of the tournament to kick-off a 4-1 victory over Venezuela in his home region, struck again in the quarter final, and then started the grand final in which Uruguay edged past Brazil via a penalty shootout. In the only Copa America appearance of his career, Fonseca had earned his first and only major international honour.

More medals were on their way when Fonseca arrived in Turin in 1997. Juventus began the season by winning the Italian Super Cup, and then went on to secure the Serie A title the following summer. Fonseca also made an appearance in the European Champions League final at that time, but could not stop his new club being defeated by Real Madrid in Amsterdam.

Continuato alla pagina 34<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Daniel Fonseca appeared in the Champions League again the following year, but despite being many people's favourites, Juventus were eliminated by eventual winners Manchester United at the semi final stage. That match proved to be Fonseca's last appearance on the big stage in a major competition, and preceded four relatively unhappy years of injury and unsettlement that seemed destined to end his career in disappointment.

Despite having made 25 appearances during that 1998/99 campaign, Fonseca was to make just two more across the entirity of the following two seasons as he went under the surgeon's knife and faded out of the picture in Turin. His club career stalled and his international prospects had never recovered from the disastrous failure that had been Uruguay's World Cup '98 qualification campaign.

Several years after his previous appearance in the sky blue shirt, Coach Victor Pua finally recalled Fonseca to the national team to join their preparations for the 2002 World Cup in Japan and Korea, but the surprising decision caused outrage in the domestic media. Allegations of corruption arose arose amidst speculation about Pua's political motives, and the coach was pressure into leaving Fonseca out of the final World Cup squad after judging the forward not to have the desired level of fitness.

Meanwhile, Fonseca's club prospects were equally disappointing. Released by Juventus in 2001, he had returned to South America to join up with Argentinian powerhouse River Plate, where he was branded a disappointment and failed to last out the season. Even a return to his roots, Nacional Montevideo of Uruguay, proved unable to revive his fortunes. An injury caused him to miss most of the season and the fans did not welcome his return as that of a conquering hero; they saw an ageing tiger who had gone a while without showing the sabre tooth of old.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Towards the close of 2002, a chance presented itself for a move back to Italy, and indeed, to Serie A. Relegation-battling Como took a gamble and picked up the veteran on a free transfer, but this was also to become another unmitigated disaster and lasted just three months. Despite fighting back to fitness, Fonseca found himself out on the fringes and requested his contract to be rescinded rather than continue to be paid without playing.

At 33 and clubless with a damaged reputation, it seemed as if Fonseca would take the decision to retire there and then. But his story was to have a happier ending. In July 2003, down at the lower end of Italian football, a former Serie D team called Ragusa were attempting to establish themselves in Serie C2, and Daniel Fonseca was offered a final opportunity to ressurect a flagging career. Both he and his wife instantly fell in love with the province of southern Sicily and the move would prove to be a good decision.

In his first season in Ragusa, Fonseca was named Player of the Year; in the second he averaged a goal every game to drive the club to the Serie C2/C title. The Uruguayan forward will be most fondly remembered in Ragusa for the volleyed goal that sealed their championship trophy on a dramatic final day of the season in nearby Acireale. Following the cancellation of the 2005/06 season, Fonseca returned to assist Ragusa in their first campaign in Serie C1, but despite the veteran scoring a goal in each leg of the promotion playoffs it was not be their year.

The final match of Daniel Fonseca's career was a 1-2 defeat in Lanciano, almost 17 years after his debut for Cagliari. Whatever retirement brings, his playing career will be remembered as belonging to one of the most prominent Uruguayan players of the 1990's, a skillful goalscorer who could ignite any match, and a player who gave the best years of his service here in Italy.

Honours won

1995 - Uruguay - Copa America

1997 - Juventus - Italian Super Cup

1998 - Juventus - Serie A championship

2004 - Ragusa - Player of the Year

2005 - Ragusa - Serie C2/C championship

Career in Italy

Clubs: Cagliari, Napoli, Roma, Juventus, Coma, Ragusa

Total Appearances: 311

Total Goals Scored: 144

(See overleaf for full career listing)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks veelhousen, glad you liked it. It took plenty of researching! I certainly learned a great deal about a footballer who, although his name was very familiar to me, I actually knew very little about.

- Ragusa 2006/2007 - Player Performances -

GOALKEEPERS

Nicolas Cinalli, age 27, Goalkeeper (Argentinian)

(apps 0 - AvR -.--)

It has been a quiet season for Nicolas; so quiet that he hasn't even been troubled with a place on the bench. The combination of Lenea and Van Strattan relegated him to a firm third place at best, and consequently his contract will not be renewed. He will be remembered in Ragusa as the keeper who safely handled our Serie C2/C title campaign, but there is simply no place for him at the club any longer.

Nicolas Cinalli - Ragusa 2002/2007 - Appearances 55(3)

Antonio Di Giovanni, age 24, Goalkeeper

(apps 0 - AvR -.--)

Antonio's season has mirrored Nicolas' and he finds himself in exactly the same situation. Four goalkeepers into one starting position and one substitute position does not go, so sadly we will also be saying goodbye to Antonio this summer.

Antonio Di Giovanni - Ragusa 2002/2007 - Appearances 16

Giuseppe Lenea, age 22, Goalkeeper

(apps 33 - conceded 30 - clean sheets 11 - MotM 1 - AvR 7.15)

Giuseppe returned with a vengeance this season, having previously spent almost three years out of the team following his broken leg. This season he has been as fabulous as we knew that he could be, making spectacular save after spectacular save, and his level of performance was so high that he kept summer signing Jess van Strattan out in the cold.

Jess van Strattan, age 24, Goalkeeper (Australian)

(apps 9 - conceded 15 - clean sheets 3 - AvR 7.00)

Everybody expected Jess to be the new Ragusa number one, and he was... for a time. Near the end of September I shuffled the pack a little bit to halt a run of defeats, and Jess was one of those to miss out. Following that, Lenea's form was far too good for Jess to find a way back in. It remains to be seen how the big Aussie will react to being considered the second choice.

Paolo Re, age 18, Goalkeeper

(apps 0 - AvR -.--)

Paolo has been playing regularly for the Under-20s since his arrival last summer. He has been doing okay, but it is not looking likely that he will make the sufficient leap in ability required to be viewed as first team standard. We were considering releasing Paolo, but with two other goalkeepers departing it might be prudent to keep him on, at least on a month-to-month basis.

[This message was edited by nerf on 03 November 2003 at 19:18.]

DEFENDERS

Stefano Guastella, age 23, Right Back

(apps 2 - AvR 6.50)

Stefano spent pretty much the entire season playing in the Under-20s squad, despite being slightly over age. I can have no complaints about him - he's young, capable, and has a great attitude. His only problem is simply that Danilo Sabellini is so impressive, and therefore Stefano's opportunities are extremely limited.

Danilo Sabellini, age 24, Right Wingback

(apps 39 - assists 6 - AvR 6.76)

Danilo remains an important fixture in the side - his battling qualities, all-round ability and undoubted reliability all contribute to his status as an automatic name on the team sheet. I certainly didn't expect him to reach the tally of assists that he did, so that was a bonus.

Simone Tamburro, age 33, Wingback

(apps 35 - assists 1 - AvR 6.62)

The club captain may be advancing in years a bit now, but he was still able to make a large number of appearances on our left side this season. Always solid, no more, no less, and continues to have a valuable influence in the changing room. Some might argue that without those leadership qualities he would not be such a regular fixture in the side, but we certainly need his strong presence in such a young side.

Stuart Attewell, age 21, Centre Back (English)

(apps 39 - MotM 1 - AvR 6.84)

I have my doubts about whether Stuart has made the step up to Serie C1 football as comfortably as others. Prior to this he had been making distinctive progress with each season since he joined as a seventeen year old, but I'm not sure that progress has been replicated in the last twelve months. Perhaps it is only to be expected, and Stuart has hardly had a disappointing season. Maybe I expect too much from him?

Pietro Alderuccio, age 24, Centre Back

(apps 7(13) - assists 1 - AvR 6.84)

I have genuine sympathy for Pietro's lack of first team opportunities this season. For the most part he has been training hard and looking eager and up for the challenge, ensuring that I have no good reason to exclude him. He has simply been unlucky with the timing of injuries while his two main rivals have been consistently fit. On the other hand, like Stuart, I have a nagging reservation about how much confidence could be placed in him being a reliable performer at this level.

Stefano Fumagalli, age 25, Centre Back

(apps 41 - assists 2 - MotM 2 - AvR 7.12)

Probably our most impressive defender this season, Stefano has been a successful signing and reliable addition to the squad. After 41 solid appearances, I feel we have already had our money's worth. His approach on and off the field has also placed him high in the pecking order for vice-captaincy.

Pavel Grznar, age 28, Wingback (Czech)

(apps 19(4) - AvR 6.60)

Not a great year for Pavel, not a poor one either. The start to his Ragusa career has been, well, more stop than start, mainly thanks to injuries and prolonged recovery periods. I believe he has the ability to hold down a regular first team place here, but now he has stay healthy and prove it.

MIDFIELDERS

Alessandro Bonaffini, age 25, Winger

(apps 0(1) - AvR -.--)

Alessandro is perenially on the fringes and is not likely to see that status change any time soon. He's a good man to have around on the training pitch and will never complain, but he is not expected to contribute to first team action in the future.

Manolo Manoni, age 30, Winger

(apps 0 - AvR -.--)

In all honesty, Manolo is a player we have had to 'make do with' in previous seasons, due to having little alternative at certain times. This season we have fortunately had better quality available in the wide midfield positions, hence his zero appearances. Even so, he remains interested in signing a new contract... Sorry Manolo, but frankly it would be a waste of everyone's time for you to stay.

Manolo Manoni - Ragusa 2002/2007 - Appearances 59(20), Goals 7

Gaspare Pellegrino, age 24, Centre Midfield

(apps 12(3) - assists 1 - AvR 6.86)

Gaspare's season has been sadly injury plagued, consisting of repeated groin injuries. It's a shame to be without one of our most important and influential midfielders, but other players have stepped in to do a good job of covering and it will be a relief to have a fully fit Gaspare back for next season.

Franco Chiavarini, age 27, Right Midfield (Argentinian)

(apps 24(5) - assists 3 - AvR 6.51)

Not a great season for Franco. At times his pace is electrifying and he can cause opposing fullbacks problems; at other times he's very frustrating, and overall he is another player who I'm not certain is good enough to be a regular starter in this division.

Carlo Mignani, age 20, Midfield

(apps 34(2) - goals 4 - assists 2 - AvR 6.83)

Carlo produced a good season whilst providing tantalising promises of things to come. He's an optimistic and enthusiastic young man who can play in several positions in midfield, and I'm confident that he will continue to get better and better.

Luca Orlando, age 17, Centre Midfield

(apps 23(3) - goals 2 - assists 1 - MotM 1 - AvR 7.19)

While fellow youth product Giancarlo Di Nicola has been grabbing the headlines, Luca has had a quietly fantastic debut season. He has a good eye for choosing the right pass to play at the right time, loves to keep things ticking over, never shirks from hard graft, and really can exert a calming influence on our play that I'm convinced we benefit greatly from. Even so, underneath that unruffled exterior you can see that, as a genuine local lad, he is thoroughly enjoying his football.

Fabio Rossini, age 17, Left Midfield

(apps 0(5) - AvR 6.59)

Fabio's first season has followed the same path as goalkeeper Paolo Re. A regular for the reserves, Fabio has been fairly average and has not shown many signs of having the potential to follow in Luca Orlando's footsteps. Antonio has a slightly higher opinion of him than I do, but at the moment Fabio is making it very easy for me to disagree.

ATTACKERS

Marco Cirillo, age 30, Striker

(apps 12(1) - goals 1 - AvR 6.84)

This has undoubtedly been a season to forget for Marco, but whether the knee injury will allow him to do that is another story. He is still undergoing rehabilitation on the infliction and remains worried about his prospects on his return to the team. To be brutally honest, I don't think that we have missed Marco at all; his form at the start of the season was poor and we have several other options available. This is a fact that he is clearly well aware of, but he needs to concentrate on getting himself fit for next season and take it a step at a time.

Claudio Gallicchio, age 29, Striker

(apps 24(5) - goals 6 - assists 1 - AvR 7.17)

The second of our strikers-turned-midfielders, Claudio's season has been in stark contrast to Marco's. The way he has adapted to a new position to resurrect his career at the club has been exemplary, and he deserves great credit for both his willingness and his trademark determination. My only worry with Claudio is that he clearly thinks, perhaps understandably, that he should be on the team sheet more regularly than he is, which has potential to clash with my opinion that we have better long-term options in the centre.

Daniel Fonseca, age 37, Forward (Uruguayan)

(apps 24(4) - goals 13 - assists 5 - Motm 1 - AvR 7.35)

What can you say? Not a bad way to finish, mate. The legs have tired this season, but the ability was still there and came within minutes of making him the last gasp hero yet again. A productive end to what was mostly a very respectable career.

Daniel Fonseca - Ragusa 2003/2007 - Appearances 95(5), Goals 66

Eddy Baggio, age 32, Striker

(apps 33(3) - goals 20 - assist 13 - MotM 9 - AvR 7.26)

Eddy's season has been quietly excellent. After an uncharacteristically shakey start he kept his head down and worked hard to get back on track, and in the manner of a true goalscorer he was still able to grind out another 20 goals for the year. On the flip side, he will be 33 years old by the end of the summer and he has already shown signs of tiring regularly in the final part of a match. I still feel he is capable of one more quality season for Ragusa.

Gabriele Catania, age 18, Forward

(apps 0(7) - AvR -.--)

I can happily concede that Gabriele is energetic, quick, hard-working, and has had a decent year for the Under-20s. Despite Antonio's favourable judgement, I still remain unconvinced that he will ever have the raw ability required to become the kind of striker that we will need in the first team squad.

Massimo Costagliola, age 18, Forward

(apps 5(16) - goals 9 - assists 3 - MotM 1 - AvR 7.09)

I have to say I like Massimo a great deal - his strength, power and arial ability will be of great benefit to any forward line. After averaging a goal per game with the Under-20s, his 9 senior goals have made him a valuable asset to have on the bench, and you can be sure that there are many more first team opportunities ahead for Massmio.

Giancarlo Di Nicola, age 18, Forward

(apps 19(7) - goals 16 - assists 14 - MotM 6 - AvR 7.53)

Last but not least, the jewel in our crown this season, and, perhaps, for years to come. Giancarlo's impact in his debut season has been outstanding, his goal ratio no more impressive than his spectacular all-round play. He's quick, strong, skillful, agile and obviously has an eye for goal. The prospect of a future partnership with Massimo is very exciting and should go a long way to helping us cover for the loss of Fonseca.

Wednesday 13th June 2007

Thirteen is definitely unlucky for some. Today brought the unexpected news that Marco Cirillo has decided to bring an end to his attempts to recover from the serious knee injury. After clinging onto strands of hope since last September, discussions with the specialist has led a sad Marco to admit defeat. The injury has proven to be more extensive than expected, to the point where it has now attained career-ending status.

The extent of the damage and the difficulty of the rehabilitation process are factors that are prominent enough, but Marco has had to add the prospect of recently turning 30 years old and no longer being viewed as a first team competitor at the club. Rather than struggle back to fitness only to undertake three or four years of reserve football, he has made the difficult decision to bring his retirement forward.

Marco Cirillo - Ragusa 2002/2007 - Appearances 98(10), Goals 5

It's never enjoyable to see an experienced player leave, but in truth we can afford to be without Marco. Gaspare Pellegrino, Carlo Mignani, Luca Orlando and Claudio Gallicchio are all very capable in the centre of midfield; none of them have hit thirty and nor do they carry the remnants of a serious injury.

Saturday 16th June 2007

The Serie C1/B promotion playoffs are over, and the last team standing is wearing the red-and-black of Lanciano. If one Cirillo was in anguish this week, another one, Paolo Cirillo, of no relation, was celebrating a rare left foot screamer that rounded off his team's 4-1 aggregate victory in the playoff final. The club that ended our hopes in a sudden manner are the ones who will taste Serie B football next year. I should take the time tomorrow to send my Lanciano counterpart a message of good luck for next season - they'll need it.

The sixth player to depart the club this summer is Paolo Re, the young goalkeeper. Paolo was understandably not too keen about the prospect of being kept dangling on a month-to-month contract and let us know that he would rather leave Ragusa in the hope of finding greater security elsewhere. I don't think Paolo looks like being good enough to become a starting goalkeeper at this level, but with a lot of hard work he could perhaps settle at a Serie D or even Serie C2 club.

Hi smiller - Tempted? Of course. It's traditional for me to rush out and buy the newest version of CM as soon as it hits the shops. However, on this occasion I'm going to make an exception. Nothing against 03/04, which sounds great, but I'd like to continue my Ragusa game and see where it goes, so I'm going to stick with CM4 for a while yet icon_smile.gif

Tuesday 21st June 2007

A large portion of the last fortnight has been fritted away chasing a promising young footballer called Giacomo Domizzi, a left back who has just turned 18 years old. Giacomo was an ever-present for Mantova this season and has been earning praising reviews for his consistently strong performances. I was also witness to him scoring one of the goals of the season against Teramo in mid-April, when he cut in the from the left wing, dribbled past three opponents on his way into the box and then finished with his weaker right foot.

Bringing the teenager on board would not only present us with an exciting and capable left back with many years in front of him, it would also allow me to push captain Simone Tamburro forward into midfield to hopefully solve our left-sided problem. In truth I could already do that if Pavel Grznar could stay healthy, but we would still be short on depth down that left flank.

After many rounds of negotations, Mantova were eventually persuaded to agree a fee of £12,000 up front with another £12,000 spread evenly between now and next July. Far from cheap on our budget, but not exactly an overblown evaluation either. However, if Mantova aren't fully aware of his rising ability, the confident - pretentious is a little harsh - Giacomo most certainly is.

With his current contract in the region of £190 per week, I was confident that our terms would appear favourable to Giacomo. We started off by offering to more than double his wage, bringing it to £400 per week, but this was deemed insufficient. A second offer of £600 then, which would make him the third highest paid player on our books. This was rejected, as was £675 even when spiced with a £4,000 signing-on sweetener. £700 would bring Giacomo level with Baggio and Pellegrino as our top earners, but again we were rebuked.

Following much deliberation on our part, our final terms were tabled. £800 per week, £6,000 signing-on fee, take it or leave it. The greedy little so-and-so left it.

Saturday 30th June 2007

On a day when Giancarlo Di Nicola was voted the Ragusa Fans' Player of the Year following a stellar debut season, it's appropriate that the award coincides with the beginning of the summer trials for next season's potential new recruits to the Under-20s squad. Of the assembled hopefuls, three players caught my eye:

Sixteen year old winger Antonio Matera enjoys a trick or two, whilst having good spring to make him a threat in the air. He is predominantly right-footed but appears capable of featuring on either flank. Marco Locatelli, a year older than Matera, already has an advantage due to the fact that he is a left-footed full back. This, combined with a tangible enthusiasm and high work rate, should put Marco in with a good shout for being one of the chosen few.

Saving the best for last, I was finally given the opportunity to witness the lad that assistant manager Antonio Ranucci had spotted some weeks ago. Nicola Marino can justifiably claim to possess the most cultured technique I have ever seen in a young man - a boy - of fifteen. A breath-taking first touch, a sharp turn of pace over short distances... he's the kind of kid who makes it all look so natural that you'd think he was born with a ball at his feet. Antonio is more convinced than ever that he was correct to single out Nicola as an exciting player for the future, and he's certainly one that we won't be able to help but keep an eye on.

Thanks very much Gino icon_biggrin.gif

Monday 2nd July 2007

Loanee midfielder Stephen Cooke has returned to England to rejoin Aston Villa, only to phone a matter of days later to let me know that he is now being placed on the transfer list. A number of Nationwide league clubs have already expressed an interest in him, including Stockport County, Blackpool, Chesterfield and even his birthplace of Walsall, but Stephen is insistent that he does not want to leave the Premiership club.

My advice to him was to reconsider his reaction and think about what it might do for his career. If Villa don't think he is good enough to make it then he will be better off elsewhere, and it could be a vital stepping stone on his way to better things. Many great players, such as David Platt for example, had to drop down a division or two before returning to the big time - and David became England captain. If one of the interested clubs could meet the £750,000 valuation that Villa had placed on the lad, I would advise him to seriously consider the move for the benefit of his future.

In much higher profile transfer news, Brazilian winger Denilson this week made a hero's return to Real Betis, leaving Liverpool after just one season in the Premiership. The skillful 29 year old has not been the same player since he left Seville in 2004, despite commanding a total of £37,000,000 in transfer fees across three years with Atletico Madrid and Liverpool. The Anfield club have been forced to trim their playing staff and wage bill in light of their continued financial crisis, and Denilson, commonly viewed as an expensive disappointment in his first season in English football, was first on the list to go.

Wednesday 4th July 2007

It might only be early in July, but plans are already in progress to begin pre-season preparations. The Ragusa-sponsored Tornei della Sicilia, an in-island competition that had its innaugral outing early last year during the absence of the football league, has resurfaced again for the summer with a new format. Gone is the mini-league to be replaced by a straight knockout cup format, pitting ourselves against Catania while Acireale face Palermo. The winners will meet in the final the following day, with all matches played across the 8th and 9th of August.

In the run up to the Tornei we also have an away friendly with another Sicilian club, Paterno, who still remain Serie C2/C. Even before that, Corrado Vaccaro, who used to be a player and a coach here in Ragusa, will be bringing his Pro Gorizia team to the Aldo Campo to kick everything off on the 3rd of August.

Monday 9th July 2007

We have finally given up on our chase of Giacomo Domizzi, who rejected our latest and greatest offer of £900-a-week wages and a £6,000 signing on fee. The lad has undoubted talent but one has to question just how he manages to arrive at such a valuation of himself. In the wake of our failure to ensnare one left back, I have sent an enquiry to Lecce about their left-sided 21 year old, Andrea Esposito. In truth I'm even less hopeful than I am of getting Domizzi, as Lecce is a club that is moving upwards in greater circles than ourselves.

Hi Nerf,it's me Juventinogdt.I had to register myself again because I couldn't log on anymore.Something strange happened.

Anyway,did you sign one of those 3 youngsters?I mean Matera,Locatelli and Marino?

Hi Juventinogdt - To answer your question... maybe icon_wink.gif

Wednesday 18th July 2007

A little beyond eleven o'clock I was strolling through the warm morning sun, making the trip up the valley to the idillic setting of the Antoci villa. Having excused myself from the beginning of pre-season training, I was due to meet with the Chairman to discuss our direction for the coming season.

First, the pleasantries. Lucille was pushing a large glass jar of homemade orange-and-lemon jam into my arms before I had barely crossed the threshhold, and the bustling old lady gave me the usual update on how her darling grown-up children were faring as I was directed through to the back of the house. Guiseppe was waiting, as tradition dictated for our meetings, out on the back patio with the spectacular view of the Ragusa valley. I noted that the old fellow might look every day of his 62 years but there was still an enthusiastic twinkle in the eye.

Such enthusiasm can be attributed to the club's current standing, and Guiseppe was eager to express his continued delight at how things are progressing. The reputation of Ragusa in the football world has risen sharply over the past five years, to the extent where this previously obscure little team is now as well known throughout Sicily as perhaps Messina or Acireale, and second only to the likes of Catania and the capital Palermo. Another solid season in Serie C1/B can cement that status. The chairman was careful not to apply any pressure and indicated that a respectable league position would be more than sufficient, but I made my point that we should be aiming for the promotion playoffs again. We have to prove that last season was not a fluke and strive to equal the previous year as a bare minimum.

There was also some good news to be drawn from matters off the pitch, which is in itself a rarity. Last season's increased gate receipts - an average attendance of 3,274 - ensured that the club almost managed to break-even when the finances for the entire campaign were totalled up. In comparison to the rate at which we have been leaking money over the last few years, a total loss of only £4,600 can be viewed as somewhat of a success. It leaves the business side of things still with a debt of over half a million, but at least the brakes are being applied and the hole is almost plugged. With six players vacating the wage bill this summer, season-ticket sales imminent, and another year of capacity crowds in prospect, there's a chance that come twelve months time we could be moving in the right fiscal direction.

Friday 27th July 2007

Predictably, pre-season training is not without its injury predicaments. Pietro Alderuccio (dislocated jaw) and Giancarlo Di Nicola (damaged shoulder) are both expected to be require rest for the next fortnight, making them almost certainties to miss the Tornei della Sicilia and both preceding friendlies. It's horrible timing and will no doubt disrupt their start to the new campaign.

We cannot afford to wait around and see if Daniel Fonseca will return from Uruguay with his wish to join the world of physiotherapy intact, so we have gone ahead and arranged for Vincenzo Ambrosio to become the new club physio. The 38 year old will be working with and under Guido Ferraris, who will step forward into the Head Physio shoes vacated by Salvatore's retirement in the summer.

Tempting new members of the backroom staff to sign on the dotted line might not be that difficult, but we cannot say the same about the playing staff. Any chance of us securing an agreement with Lecce was negated when young Andrea Esposito made it clear that he has little interest in joining Ragusa over his current club - it comes as no surprise. The prospect of new arrivals this summer is not looking good at all, as we have been rejected by the ones we have approached and we do not have an abundance of irons in the transfer-market fire. In the meantime, the three youth players that caught the eye during the trials last month have all agreed contracts for the coming season.

Catalan giants Barcelona have no such problems acquiring players, as the Anfield exodus gains pace with the departure of 27 year old Norwegian John Arne Riise for a much needed £11,750,000.

outstanding. this story, for me, sums up all emotions and feelings that champ man brings out of its devoted players. Thanks again and I am sure everyone reading this greatly appreciates the fact that your gona try and ignore cm 03/04 for rugusa..

...cheers icon_smile.gif

Thanks mark247 icon_smile.gif

Monday 30th July 2007

For an unbelievable fifth time in the last eighteen months, midfielder Gaspare Pellegrino has been struck down with yet another torn groin muscle. The repeating infliction has seen Gaspare occupy as much time on the treatment table as he has on the pitch in the last year and a half, spending approximately nine of those eighteen months in recovery.

New physio Vincenzo has some experience in this area and has been quick to dispense his wisdom. A minor groin pull will generally heal itself with rest in a matter of hours or a few days; if the muscle tissue is actually torn, the healing process may take a week or more; in severe or recurring cases, such as Gaspare's adductor longus muscle, surgery may be necessary to repair the damage to muscles and tendons. To this end we have sent Gaspare away for rehabilitation. It might prolong the recovery process slightly, but we really need to get this cleared up. On his return, Guido and Vincenzo have been asked to arrange specialist advice on an improved warm up routine to see if we can avoid this in the future.

Friday 3rd August 2007

It was a mixture of old and new at the Aldo Campo this afternoon to kick off our pre-season build up. Former Ragusa goalkeeper and goalkeeping coach, Corrado Vaccaro, brought his own boys in blue back to his old stamping ground. Under his tutelage last season, Pro Gorizia had managed to reach the safety of 13th position in their first Serie C2/C campaign. The new is in reference to our three summer youth signings, Locatelli, Matera and Marino, who were all granted their first starts. Nicola Marino, Ragusa born and still two months before his sixteenth birthday, would partner veteran Eddy Baggio in a contrasting forward line.

Boys in blue they were indeed, as Pro Gorizia had made the elementary mistake of forgetting to bring their change kit with them, for which I will rib Corrado about later. In the meantime we took to the field in our rarely used all-red third choice strip, and proceded to play like a team who were unfamiliar with each other. We offered false promises in the first couple of minutes, when the three teenagers looked bright and got involved to provide Eddy Baggio and Danilo Sabellini with headed chances, but they were both denied by goalkeeper Gianni Careri. The game changed from then on, and shortly after Baggio had wasted a sitter from Tamburro's cross, former Chievo Verona striker Davide Succi took aim from twenty-five yards to give the away side the lead.

Succi would have doubled the advantage before half-time had it not been for Lenea's reactions, but it had little impact on the outcome. In a second half that saw me make five changes to give some fringe players a run out, we failed to create much and were unable to muster an equaliser. Carlo Mignani and Giuseppe Lenea both played well, but little else could be offered in terms of performance.

Sunday 5th August 2007

The second of our pre-season friendlies took us across to Paterno on the east coast of Sicily, former home of the aforementioned Carlo Mignani. He would be rested in view of his exertions in the previous match though, allowing all five of Friday's substitutes to start this one, including a revamp of the attack to give the former Under-20s pairing of Gabriele Catania and Massimo Costagliola an opportunity to reunite their partnership.

It was Luca Orlando who stood out the most today, and he saw plenty of the ball as it became bogged down in the midfield for much of the first half. The start of second period was darkened by a slight knee injury to Pavel Grznar, who was keen to rejoin the field after treatment, but Mignani was sent on in his place as a precaution, and the returning midfielder almost scored on his old patch when he flashed a shot wide from young Marino's set-up.

The experienced heads of Baggio and Tamburro also made second half substitute appearances, and in the 84th minute the latter provided the long ball for the former to slip his marker and shoot low into the corner of the net. Legs on both teams then inevitably began to tire, allowing fresh Paterno substitute Marco Ascenzi to make his own impact by firing home a last minute leveller.

Wednesday 8th August 2007

There's a quiet buzz around town for the start of the Tornei della Sicilia, while the Aldo Campo has been busy all day with the arrival of three teams and a scattering of fans. At 3pm this afternoon Acireale and Citta di Palermo got things underway in front of a reduced crowd with their semi-final, in which a thirty-six year old, Gaetano Vasari, defied the thirty-two degree heat to score the only goal of the game in favour of the Serie B team from the capital.

In the other semi-final we will face Catania, who finished 13th in Serie B last season after becoming Serie C1/B champions in the 2004/2005 season. The summer heat has refused to dissipate and remains stifling, though another 1,300 spectators have gathered to bring the stadium to half-capacity for the evening kick-off.

Tornei della Sicilia Semi Final

Ragusa v Catania

Ragusa lineup - Lenea; Tamburro©, Fumagalli, Attewell, Sabellini; Mignani, Gallicchio, Orlando, Chiavarini; Costagliola, Baggio.

The visitors were lucky to escape the first ten minutes unscathed, as we launched straight into attack from the off. Three lofted balls into the box from right-back Danilo Sabellini invited Baggio and Costagliola to display their dominance in the air, but Baggio found the side netting with the first header and then goalkeeper Gennaro Iezzo produced two brilliant saves to keep out an effort from each striker. The third incident almost resulted in a counter-attack led by Catania's Roberto Pellegris, but Carlo Mignani chased hard to drive the opposing player wide and dispossess him safely. Carlo has been improving steadily over the last twelve months and has really looked bright in pre-season so far.

Later Costagliola struck an attempt on goal narrowly over the crossbar, then we went into the midway break having shaded the first half and looking the team most likely to score. Eddy Baggio was not having much luck and had got involved in a bit of aggro with a Catania defender that had earned him a booking, so he made way for Nicola Marino at half-time.

A mere two minutes after play was resumed, everybody got a glimpse of what the kid is capable of. Luca Orlando read the play and nipped in intelligently to break down a Catania attack, then looked up and sent the ball forward. Lumbering defender Giuseppe Frigerio discovered too late that he couldn't quite get a grip on the youngster, having been accustomed to battling the larger frames of Baggio and Costagliola in the first half, and allowed Nicola to slip away off his shoulder. The control was instantaneous and the lad was off towards goal before Frigerio had completed his turning circle, and although the keeper managed to get something on his low drive, the ball continued into the bottom corner for the opening goal. Nicola immediately dashed back down the pitch and leapt into Luca's embrace, and much of the crowd celebrated in kind - they had just watched two genuinely Ragusa-born teenagers combine to give their side the lead over the higher profile club.

However, Catania are a Serie B team for a reason and they reacted admirably to going behind. From the kick off they started stroking the ball around as if they had just scored themselves, and after a lengthy period of possession the ball eventually came to Cabalero on the right. He fizzed a great cross into the feet of teammate Paolo Rossi just inside the area, who turned, evaded Attewell's lunging block, and then tested Lenea with his right foot. Fortunately Guiseppe was, as ever, up to the challenge, and the young keeper sprung to his left to make a fantastic save. Ferrara retrieved the loose ball for Catania and sent it straight back into the mixer where captain Andrea Bussi was arriving like a freight train, but luckily for us he blasted wildly over the bar from sixteen yards when he should have done better.

Surviving the initial backlash proved to be key and we began to regain our composure as the half progressed. For the last fifteen minutes I withdrew Claudio Gallicchio and sent seventeen year old Marco Locatelli on at left back, pushing Tamburro forward to the left of midfield and shifting Mignani into the centre. Carlo looked instantly at home in the middle, beginning a series of dangerous moves that culminated in us doubling our lead. On 79 minutes he received a nod down from Fumagalli and looked forwards for Marino, who raced past sluggish defender Panatteri but was pushed wide by the goalkeeper so he was unable to get his shot away. Instead he turned neatly in the box, and as defenders closed in, rolled the ball back to Mignani following up at the edge of the area. The midfielder was completely unmarked and produced a carefully aimed curling shot into the top corner with his right foot, a great finish to cap a very good individual - and team - performance.

Final score: Ragusa 2 - 0 Catania

Thursday 9th August 2007

After an early goal had edged Catania past Acireale in the 3rd/4th playoff this afternoon - during which Simone Ceccobelli had misunderstood the phrase "meaningless game" and managed to achieve a red card in the second half - it's time for the Tornei della Sicilia final on an evening that is a whole one degree colder than the previous one. Pietro Alderuccio has recovered from his injury and needs match practice, so he will start at right back and young Locatelli will take up the other full back slot.

Tornei della Sicilia Final

Ragusa v Citta di Palermo

Ragusa lineup - Lenea; Locatelli, Fumagalli, Attewell, Alderuccio; Tamburro©, Mignani, Orlando, Chiavarini; Costagliola, Baggio.

Palermo lined up with a midfielder called Luca Orlandi, in direct opposition to our own Luca Orlando, but the referee was able to overcome such wacky confusion and get the final underway. We begin brightly too, with Carlo Mignani testing the away goalkeeper from a volley after Chiavarini's cross had been partially cleared, but Carlo was unable to catch it fully and Sicignano was able to hold the shot.

The pink and black shirts soon started to impose themselves, but when Perrone ghosted into the area to divert home the opener in the 19th minute, it came slightly out of the blue. Stunned by the unexpected strike, we recovered well and almost equalised as early as three minutes later, when Costagliola chased a long pass from Luca Orlando. Goalkeeper Vincenzo Sicignano also came racing out for the same ball and the collision was unavoidable, but Massimo's aerial power enabled him to actually outjump the keeper and flick it over the top of him, only to watch from a tangled heap on the turf as the ball bounced a yard wide of the open goal.

I felt that we were matching the Serie B team stride for stride, but then two sharp blows in quick succession killed the game off before half-time. In the 29th minute a cross from the left caused trouble in our area, Luca Orlando was whistled for tripping Vianello, and the Palermo striker got up to smash the penalty kick down the middle. Little over five minutes afterwards, a simple corner found Perrone unmarked to allow him to head home his second of the game, and suddenly the gap was three.

At half-time the mood was understandably sombre. 0-3 was an innacurate reflection of the actual play as we had enjoyed slightly more possession than Palermo, but whereas we had not threatened much, they had struck four shots on target and scored three times. Marino and Matera both got run-outs in the second half, but our best effort was an Orlando volley that flew over the crossbar and as such we were unable to find any significant response - in fact, the most notable event of the remainder was Pietro Alderuccio's withdrawal due to a calf injury. The scoreline flattered the bigger club and we had not performed badly, but we will have to worry the opposing goalkeeper more if we want to win tough matches like this.

Final score: Ragusa 0 - 3 Palermo

Saturday 11th August 2007

Although attendances were not quite as high as hoped for, particularly on the Wednesday, the Tornei della Sicilia seems to have been recieved as a satisfactory success and looks likely to get a third outing next year. Palermo managed to arrive as Sicily's biggest club and depart with their reputation intact, the Ragusa-Catania game was especially enjoyable for the home fans, and as the short tournament reached its climax it was able to generate some press interest across the island. On the pitch we did quite well despite failing to score in the final, and most importantly it should be a boost for fitness levels as well as giving us the chance to blood some youngsters.

One drawback was the injury to Pietro Alderuccio sustained in the final, who has already missed most of pre-season and will now sit out the next two months with a torn calf muscle. The defender's proneness to injury is starting to worry.

On a more pleasant and surprising note, last season's fourth-placed finish in Serie C1 has earned Ragusa an unexpected - by me, at least - entry into the opening stages of the Coppa Italia. The initial group stage features teams from Serie B and higher-positioned clubs from Serie C1, meaning that, much like in the FA Cup back home, the lesser clubs get to fight it out between them during the early rounds in the hope of still being afloat when the Serie A big boys wade in at the later stages. Last season it was AC Milan who triumphed 3-2 on aggregate in the final, sinking rivals Inter and denying them the chance to retain their third consecutive Coppa Italia.

Over in the English Premiership, Middlesbrough have landed Swedish sensation Alexander Farnerud from Everton. The 23 year old complete midfielder, who has scored ten goals in twenty-six caps for his country, has been in the sort of form over the last two years that attracted a collection of big clubs across europe - from Sampdoria to Sevilla - to express an interest. Farnerud decided that the Premiership was the league for him however, and relocated to the north-east with a £7,000,000 price tag attached.

Archived