• 8-bit integers used for some stats?

boakham
    • Public Status: Info Provided Files Uploaded: None

I know this is an unlikely situation, but I have an error in team stats where I think the number of goals scored is stored in some places as 8-bit integers, so where I've scored more than 255 goals in a season, it's rolled over and put me at the bottom of the table in the team statistics. 

It works fine for the goal difference, so that is clearly stored in a bigger memory variable.

Competition statistics roll over at 255.png

Goal Difference works fine.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• SI Staff

This isn't a bug but rather a limitation of the current design. There are certain fields (appearances, goals scored, conceded etc) which will cap out which is based on the size, going past that does then cause it to flip back to the lowest number in the range. Like with finances which are capped at around 2.1 billion. 

While I can't say exactly for the design choice behind the GD field, its likely it could be something such as a text field with 3 characters because it would always be Goals Scored - Goals Conceded rather than the two fields themselves which would need to be incrementing with actual goals scored/conceded.

Given that its an extreme edge case scenario for these limits to be exceeded (typically occurring only for a human managed team a couple of times per year) increasing the overheads to accommodate this likely isn't something that makes a lot of sense.