Manager reputation and levels

I started out as a sunday league footballer with no badges and have worked my way up from the conference north to the Championship.

I am currently managing Blackburn Rovers and have a regional reputation and studying for my continental C badge.

Does anyone know the reputation points required for different levels (obscure, local, regional, national, etc.) and how many points do you get for what (wins, manager of the month, manager of the season, etc.)?

It would be nice to get a firm understanding on this and how it works... Especially how much does your rep increase after a win for example etc.

All guide and help is much appreciated, thank you!

I started out as a sunday league footballer with no badges and have worked my way up from the conference north to the Championship.

I am currently managing Blackburn Rovers and have a regional reputation and studying for my continental C badge.

Does anyone know the reputation points required for different levels (obscure, local, regional, national, etc.) and how many points do you get for what (wins, manager of the month, manager of the season, etc.)?

It would be nice to get a firm understanding on this and how it works... Especially how much does your rep increase after a win for example etc.

All guide and help is much appreciated, thank you!

I found this after some probing... It is from "Morridin" and gives me sufficient info about this matter. I decided to post it here also, as I am sure that I'm not the only one wanting some info on this. It is from FM2012 but I don't think it has changed much for FM15.

Anyway, here it is, enjoy:

Introduction

As I have been unable to find anything concrete on how manager reputation increases in this forum, I have decided to dedicate this thread to the underlying mechanics of manager reputation.

To do so I have used FMM to explore hidden variables in the game, so if you don't want to know how these variables work you should stop reading now.

Hopefully an understanding of how the mechanism behind the partially hidden attribute manager reputation will be a great help to Career players, who want start on the bottom of the food chain and eventually win the CL

with Real Madrid (or something like that), plan their career and/or help them develop an understanding of what will be required to be eligible for a manager job at a certain club.

Basics first...

Manager Reputation is a partially hidden attribute in FM. If you read your own manager screen you can see your reputation described as one of the following:

1. Unproven

2. Regional

3. National

4. Continental

5. World Class

AI managers cannot be Unproven, they are either of Obscure or Local rep instead.

These labels are actually simple categorizations of a hidden variable called Current Reputation that goes from 0 - 10000. These labels also depend on the nationality of your current or last played league, so you can have unproven reputation in England and change to national reputation if you take a job in Malaysia without your reputation actually changing.

The game engine differs between Home Reputation, Current Reputation and World Reputation.

As I understand these Variables Home Reputation is your reputation with teams of the same nationality as you (Likely secondary nationality teams as well, needs testing). Current Reputation governs the ingame reputation label and is your generally most important reputation variable. While I think World Reputation is your reputation with all clubs excluded from the Home Reputation category, it is possible that it is only used when you apply for the manager job of national teams.

When you apply for a job the game compares your reputation to the clubs reputation and if your reputation is equal or greater to that of the club you might get the job. Which of the two reputations the game uses for this comparison depends on your managers nationality. If the club has the same nationality as you the game uses "Home reputation" and "Current reputation", if not it uses "World reputation" and "Current reputation".

Your starting reputation scores depend on your starting difficulty. These scores ranges from 0 to 10000 and are completely independent of nationality, age or Starting Club. The difficulty levels give you the following scores:

1. International Footballer, "Home Reputation", 8000, "World Reputation", 4000

2. Professional Footballer, "Home Reputation", 6000, "World Reputation", 3000

3. Semi-Professional Footballer, "Home Reputation", 3250, "World Reputation", 1625

4. Sunday League Footballer, "Home Reputation", 1500, "World Reputation", 750

5. Automatic, This one depends on the reputation of the lowest playing league in your game. Values range from 500, 250 (Lowest league in the world) to 9500, 4750 (Spanish First). It's completely independent of nationality, age or Starting Club. Proven by testing.

Current rep is always the same value as Home rep when you create a new manager. To give you some reference Man Utd has a starting reputation of 9250, Q.P.R. has 4750 and Scarborough has 1750.

As I said before these values fall into different categories in-game, Unproven - World Class, depending on what country you currently or last played in. Starting as a Sunday league footballer I would have Unproven reputation in England, Regional in Norway and National in Malaysia at the start of the game. Just try starting three managers with each of these nationalities and you will see that it's true. Reported reputation values in FMM is the same for all three though. If now my Norwegian manager got the job of Malaysian team Melaka his reputation label would change from regional to national, without any value change in FMM, and this label would stick with him when he resigns until he gets another job.

The important thing to draw from this is that your in-game label depends on your current, or last played, league. A national reputation in England is worth more than in Malaysia. This seems to be linked to the nations reputation, but exactly what variable governs it is not of great importance as long as we know roughly how it works.

Reputation can change after every match

Testing has shown that the outcome of every match you play, even friendlies, can change your manager reputation either positively or negatively. The amount of reputation change you get depends on what the game predicts your chance of winning the match is. The match odds gives you a general Idea of what is expected of you. If you are predicted to win you will usually lose reputation if you draw or lose the match.

The reputation changes are normally distributed, which means that the game calculates the most likely outcome of the match, based on the clubs respective reputations, current form and Home advantage. The more the eventual outcome varies from this predicted outcome the bigger the changes to reputation will be. If the outcome is as predicted you will see little or no change to reputation.

It follows from these observations that winning many matches with a low reputation club, against more reputable clubs, is a relatively quick way to gain manager reputation. This also holds true for friendlies, although to a lesser extent, so you can use this to your advantage by planning these accordingly. If you need to generate cash for your club, and thus play friendlies against big teams, it might be a good idea to let your assistant handle the match (unless you think you can win or draw the match of course.), as you will not lose reputation if your assistant loses the game. Alternately you can play away games against teams you expect to beat to build your own reputation (+morale), the more reputable the team you beat the bigger reputation increase you get.

It also follows from this that the players you should prioritize first when spending your transfer budget are Strikers, Goalies and Central defenders, in that order. The reason for this is that you absolutely need players who knows how to score and players who reduce the amount of goals you recede, as every goal counts towards your reputation. Somebody else can tell you what stats these player should have, but I find that exceptional Pace and Acceleration (Off the ball helps a lot too) are key for strikers in the lower divisions. This obviously depends on your playing style and many players will find it more effective to play a tight defense, which would change the priorities accordingly.

If you want to start low and increase your reputation fast get a national job as soon as possible. Matches in international competitions, like the WC or The African Nations, can be worth several hundred points to your reputation.

Winning is the Key

Unsurprisingly you need to win stuff in order to progress your career in any reasonable amount of time. Testing has shown that while your reputation scores can increase a few hundred points from games, in a good season, the rep bonuses you get from winning stuff are many times higher than this.

You don't actually have to win to get a bonus. You would get a bonus if you got your team promoted or just reached the final of any given cup or tournament as well, but they would not be as high as for a win. Things that give you a bonus to rep are:

1. Getting your team promoted (Possibly qualifying for European cups as well, needs testing)

2. Winning the league

3. Either winning or losing a cup or tournament final (Winning gets you about twice the amount of rep as losing)

4. Winning Manager of the month or Manager of the year. (Not that much, but every bit helps)

Applying for jobs

When you apply for a job the game compares your reputation to that of the club in question. If your reputation is greater or roughly equal to that of the club in question you are considered eligible for the job. You will then get the job if there are no computer controlled managers with greater reputation than you also applying for the job.

Nationality plays an important factor when you apply for a job as all domestic managers, to the club in question, get what I call the domestic bias. Clubs favour domestic managers by letting them use Home and Current rep variables when comparing them with the other aplicants, foreign managers use Current and World. This gives a domestic bias because Home rep is generally higher than World rep (at least for low level manager), as the inital rep values for new managers indicates. This also means that you can start out as a manager of a more reputable club in your home country than abroad. When applying for international sides the game will favour domestic managers to such an extent that if you don't have sufficient rep, and there are no competitors of higher rep that you, the game will create a new domestic manager (often of lower rep than you) and give him the job. This happens all the time with african teams. When applying for a job while under contract (not international sides) you often have a better chance of getting it if you resign your current job first (especially in the lower leagues), as your potentially new club will have to pay to release you from your current contract.

Leaving your current job

It happens to all of us. We grow tired of our current club and/or just can't seem to win as many games as we would like. As you have a greater chance of getting a new job if you are unemployed, for economical reasons, it can be advantageous to resign from your current job before you send your application to new clubs. The important thing to remember here is that you can resign at any time, no problem, but never issue your board an ultimatum! Ultimatums are flawed in Fm, you never get anything out of them (I have never heard of anyone who did anyway), but you will lose 10% of your "current reputation" by leaving your job this way.

The recipe of quick success

This is a summary of all my experiments and general experience into a playing strategy for lower league managers. These are general tips on how to progress your career in the most efficient way and some of these might not be compatible with your idea of game enjoyment. Aspects of game enjoyment should obviously be prioritized over strategic career choices if not compatible.

Crating a new Manager

When creating a new manager you pretty much set the pace for your future career. You can save yourself a whole lot of time and frustration by picking a club you like. If you like to start unemployed however your choice of starting rep has a much bigger impact on the general progression of your career. If you chose Automatic and all leagues expect to have to start in the lowest Swedish division or some obscure Asian league. This is the ultimate manager challenge and has the potential to give you loads of fun, but also loads of frustration. Personally i don't have the patience it would take to finish one of these games as it will be very slow in the start. If you start as a "Sunday League Fotballer" you can expect to land a job at one of the regional blue square leagues, or generally at one of the lowest teams in your lowest domestic league.

More from "Morridin":

Another season ended, and time for another update.

Experimental season

For this experiment I did some result manipulation in order to uncover more functions of the Manager reputation system. By manipulating the results sufficiently for my team to win both the Norwegian first division (Rep 7) and the Norwegian Cup (Rep 9) I am happy to report that I'm now able to shed some new light on hypothesis 1, 2 and 3.

Hypothesis 1. You get a boost to reputation after you play your last match of a league or a tournament. (Falsified)

You do indeed get a boost to your reputation if you either Win or get promoted in your current league. This boost does not necessarily come at the last day of the season however. You get it with the message that your team has won the league or got promoted. By winning the Norwegian first division my Reputation scores increased from 2765, 2738 and 1410 to 4061, 4034 and 2190, which makes for increases of 1296, 1296 and 780. To get a boost from a Cup or tournament you apparently have to reach the final. By losing the semi-final of the Norwegian Cup I did not get any reputation, but by losing the final my rep scores increased by 442, 441 and 231. By winning the Cup I got increases of 757, 756 and 463.

Hypothesis 2. Manager reputation increases according to league result at end of season. (Verified, given that the result is sufficiently good.)

You have to either win or get promoted in the lower divisions, premiere division haven't been tested yet.

Hypothesis 3. The size of these reputation increases depend on the reputation of the league. (Falsified?)

I would say that this was falsified for certain except there is a genuine possibility that the League increases I got was the sum of a winning boost and a promotion boost.

As for other observations I got a small rep bonus of 15, 10 and 0 from a manager of the month award.

Over the duration of an overachieving season my scores had only increased by 134, 129 and 144 (with only two matches left of the season), so it appears that I have overestimated the importance of individual matches. It follows from this that Lower league managers will have to win stuff, or at least get close, in order to advance up the food chain in any reasonable time frame. This means that when looking for a new job you should prioritize newly relegated teams, if you are in a position to chose, as they usually have better reputation than their opposing teams, can therefore attract better players and thus increase your chances of winning silverware and advancing up the food chain. It also follows from this that career vise it might be a good idea to resign your job if your team gets promoted and go back to a reputable team in your last division, rather than fighting tooth and nail over several years to establish yourself in your new league. Most players will probably not want to do this, as the prospect of playing at the same low level another year is not very pleasing, but not doing so can seriously hamper your career progression, as your first few seasons in the new division are likely to be a waste of time better spent at another club.

Archived