Promoted from VCS to VC - how to adapt

As title says, I've just guided Concord Rangers to automatic promotion from VCS to VC.

I played a 4-4-1-1 tactic with gk, lfb(d), cd(x), cd©, lfb(d), wm(a), cm(d), bbm(s), w(a) ss (a), dlf (s). Control / structured with 'work ball into box' and 'pass into space' TI's.

This tactics generally dominated weaker and equivalent teams, but I struggled against tougher teams and I attempted to use a 4-5-1 against stronger teams, but had very limited success. I've lost my 'league 2 quality' right winger, but otherwise have kept the core of the squad and signed a couple of half decent loan players.

I'm currently 2 games in and have had 2 unflattering defeats using the tactic above. I'm still creating chances but conceding far more CCC's than I'm creating. I'm thinking of trying to play a 4-5-1 counter attacking tactic, but thought I'd see if anyone on here had any experience of a change of tactics after promotion from VCS to VC (or similar) and what they found worked / didn't work?

As a secondary question, the club seem to really be struggling financially, despite me being under wage budget and the recent promotion. Previously on FM games success usually boosted finances, anyone had any similar experiences?

Cheers.

Hi Wellingman,

I'm in roughly the same situation. Got promoted from the VCS with Boreham Wood. The first six months in the VC were actually surprisingly easy. I played a 4-1-4-1 attacking formation, and was in the playoff positions in December. Then it all went wrong, and I finished in 12th. This season I switched to a 4-5-1 control/attacking formation, and it is tough going. I'm just above relegation. It might just be a co-incidence, but I started struggling after moving to the 15.1.4 hotfix.

Here's the set-up that I'm using:

DLF(A)

W(A) DLP(D) CM(A) CM(S) W(A)

WB(A) CD(D) CD(D) FB(S)

GK(D)

The GK and back line are set to pass shorter. The DLF is set to roam.

Usually control, but I'll switch to Attacking or Counter depending on the needs of the game.

Sometimes it works well, but it is inconsistent. The players, except for the DLF, defend really deep. When we win possession, there are no outlets, and an aimless long ball follows. The obvious fix, playing a higher line, doesn't work, because my defenders are not fast enough to handle balls over the top. So I'm experimenting with all the options that force the team to play out of the back. I think I'm seeing some improvement, but there's still a long way to go.

My financial experience has been completely the opposite of yours. The club is making money hand over fist. Halfway through my third season, and the club is valued at 1.5 million. I'm not sure what it was when I started, but I think it was under 100k. I've yet to buy a player, building the squad through frees, out-of-contract, and loan players. I force myself to stay well under the wage budget; right now it is 440k per year, and I'm spending about 380k.

Not sure if that's of any help, but I thought I'd commiserate, at least.

Mike - thanks for the response. Interesting to hear how you're getting on.

I've actually revisited my 4-5-1 formation and despite getting bossed in games stats wise, I'm winning enough to keep me clear of relegation zone. Like you though, my forward is getting isolated and whilst I think slower tempo would give chance for midfield to link up with him, I also think the quick tempo counter attacking strategy is why I'm doing OK for newly promoted team.

How are you finding having a wb(a) role? I found my full backs were getting exploited terribly until I changed their role to limited full back (d).

Yeah the finance side is strange, I actually had another save where my team siat in the VCS for 3 seasons, but was turning a healthy profit. Attendance was higher though!cim currently £1k a week below wage budget, so hopefully that should help!

Have you faired any better since your last post?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Wellingman. Sorry for the slow response.

Did you make much progress with your save? Did you manage to stay up?

I've had some good results in my game. Early in my third season in the Conference my 4-5-1 "clicked". I shot up the table (from 16th place in November), finished 2nd, and won promotion in the play-offs. This despite a media prediction of 14th. Now I'm mid-way through my first season in League 2, and I'm (unbelievably) in first place after 20 games. This time the media prediction is 24th, so it is even more surprising. Admittedly, I've won a lot of close games, so I've been a bit lucky.

Sadly, I can't claim any great tactical revelations. The line-up is similar to the one I posted earlier, except that the wingers are wide midfielders (suits the players better), and the CM(S) is replaced by a DLP(S). The idea of using two DLPs came from Jambo98's excellent 4-5-1 thread, and seems to have solved the problem of defenders playing aimless long balls. I've experimented a lot with tempo, defensive line, and closing down. I like the balance that I found, using either Standard or Control, adjusted by TIs and PIs.

It's a simple setup, but it seems pretty solid (watch me go on a losing streak now).

You asked about the wb(a) role. I've had no problems with it. The deepest lying midfielder is on that side, and so offers some cover. Are you still using the LFB? I've never used one. They seem too....limited.

Mike

Archived