Xscape From Glasshoughton

ashton321

I have decided to utilise one of the Lower League Databases to begin my journey. I have decided to begin with a club which is my local club, and one that I drive pat most days as it is 2 minutes away from my front door.

Glasshoughton Welfare FC

They currently play in the North East Counties Premier Division. In real life they are one of the worst teams at this level. I am hoping that I will be able to lead them to some sort of glory. This is not a one club save as I intend to move about a little bit, but only after I have brought some success to Glasshoughton.

The name of my thread is to reflect the only part famous thing in Glasshoughton which is a complex called Xscape

GlasshoughtonWelfare.GIF

Glasshoughton Welfare

This is a very small club based just outside Castleford in West Yorkshire and is just down the M62 from Leeds. A little amusing fact about Glasshoughton is that they earned their place in the North East Counties on the back of numerous league restructures rather than actually winning leagues. They have reached the FA Cup 3rd qualifying round once and the FA Vase 4th round once.

In 2007 Bruce Grobbelaar turned out for the club. He lives in and around the area and played to try and alleviate some financial worries for the club.

Glasshoughton Welfare FC - North East Counties Premier League - December 2014

GlasshoughtonWelfare.GIF

Table

Fixtures

As ever when you play this far down the first job has to be to put together something that looks like a squad. I did this buy basically bringing in anyone who fancied a game. Inevitably when we began the season it was a mishmash of players. From my briefest of looks at the other teams at this level I knew that my opening game was against one of the tougher teams at this level so I knew it would be a tough start. Not in my wildest of dreams did I think I would be defeated in the manner that I was.

After the demolishing I took in the opening round of fixtures I was keen to get back out and try to get some points on the board to soften the blow of the huge defeat. We did ok in our next 4 games winning three and drawing one before we lost. This gave us a decent standing in the league and I was happy with the start although the defeat at the outset did still leave a rather bad taste in the mouth.

We then continued our good form by winning five of our next seven games. In the two games we did not win we still managed to pick up credible draws. All in all I was really happy with how the season had gone thus far. Up next was the FA Vase. We played away in the first round to a team the south, it could not get much more southern really. We did well as we recorded a very professional win. We also then picked up wins in the next two rounds of the vase needing extra time in the later of the two games. This put us into the 4th Round where we would play league rivals Shaw Lane.

In the league we were amazing. We went on a seven match winning streak to end this period. I am honestly amazed at how well we have done thus far especially considering the massive defeat that we suffered in our opening game.

As for the next part of the season, I suppose I have got to expect to at least reach the play offs. Should I not reach those I will be annoyed and in fairness it would take quite a monumental collapse for things to fall apart at this stage. I would also like to get to at least the quarter final of the Vase. The main aim has to be to win the league, I am unsure as to if we will be able to do this but the aim has to be that.

Archived