For anyone struggling with getting game to work on your desktop AND laptop

Hi folks,

this is going to sound really simple....

over the past few years i've seen loads of posts along the lines of "how do i get fm to run on both my desktop & laptop? it doesn't work and gives me some error about not having the right database when i transfer saved games from one machine to another".... Especially common with folks who edit the database.

usually people get advised to transfer the database over as well...

for many people this doesn't seem to work - those with different operating systems on the two computers

the answer to anyone daft enough not to realise it (like me - it's taken me ages to work this out - i'm such a fool.........) is...

...your saved game/database directory must have exactly the same address on both comps.

Diff versions of Windows save FM slightly differently.

All you need to do is open up your saved game on one machine. Go into preferences. Look at the file address at the top. Then on other machine create a set of folders to mirror this exactly and copy anything you want to be able to use - editted database, graphic changes, saved games into here.

Do the same on the other comp in reverse.

(Or fiddle with in game settings to see if you can make both exactly the same)

This will work with historic saved games.

99.9% of people reading this will think "duh - obviously" or won't care but there are a few odd peeps out there this is going to make very happy :)

Archived