Worm from (vanilla) demo download?

Like everyone else, I was really excited when the demo first came out, and I downloaded the vanilla version from the NOTW website within minutes of it being posted on their website. When the demo finished downloading and I first attempted to open the it, avast! antivirus gave me a warning that I was about to open a program (fm.exe) infected with a virus (worm). Of course, I wrote this off as avast! being overzealous and finding a false positive. So I ignored avast!'s warning and opened and played the demo anyway.

I didn't think much of until a few days ago when I noticed constant traffic on my internet connection, even when I was not downloading or uploading anything. First I checked all of my programs to see if any of them were downloading automatic updates, but none of them were. Then I began to get very suspicious that there might be a virus or some type of program hijacking my internet connection to send data using it. So I ran a full scan using avast! and it found 'Win32:Warezov-BYG' worms in the football manager 2009 demo fm.exe file, along with some other FM 2009 files that I've downloaded, including the patch (which I downloaded from BitTorrent using the direct link that Miles provided on the forum) and the mac demo (which I downloaded directly from the NOTW website on the night of the release).

I am in the process of purging my system of these worms as I write this. However, I'm still wondering if these may just be false positives. I know that with the in-game advertising SI is collecting some small bits of info from us to tailor appropriate in-game advertising for our game. Is it possible that this 'worm' is the process updating the in-game advertising? Also, is it possible that some third-party unscrupulously corrupted the download files with a worm (At first, I didn't think this was possible, but in light of the DdoS attack during authentication it makes me think this is a possibility.)? Has anyone else found this virus, or am I the only one? Of course I realize that this worm could be completely unrelated to downloading files from SI and could have come from another source. But since it was first found when I downloaded the demo, and its only in FM 2009 downloaded files, I suspect it to be related to the SI files.

Any thoughts or advice that anyone has will be appreciated. My copy of the full game should be arriving in the mail later today, but I want to make sure I figure out and/or get rid of this problem before I install it. Thanks.

Archived