Keeper distribution & defensive free kicks

I've been playing a reasonably attacking formation. CBs on about 12 mentality, defensive line about 10. But whatever I try I have two problems when trying to play the ball out from the back.

1. Keeper distribution

Defender collect is the setting I use. Surely this means that one or two defenders should drop off to collect the ball? If they get marked by the forwards two more should be available for a pass most of the time. Often none drops off and my keeper goes for the long punt. If I go for a quick throw then sometime he'll get one off, but it's quite rare.

2. Defensive free kicks

When I get a free kick in my own half everyone buggers off into the opposition half. It's as if they have all made their forward runs already? Why is this. My passing setting is set to mixed. They play good passing football in open play at a fast tempo - yet when I get a free kick this all goes out of the window and I'm left with the old punt option.

Now if I'm playing direct or time wasting then a punt seems fair enough. Put why won't they just do a quick pass and off we go again?

Anyone else having this problem?

Archived