New position development - Have to be improved

At first I'm sorry about my spelling. I don't speak English so well.

Then to topic. I'm not sure if this topic has been present yet in numerous of topics. In my opinion, new position development is quite badly made right now. You can just have a person to learn a new position and if his adaptability is good enough he can learn it quite fast. New position training will take 10% out of his training and if you want that he can keep that position in acceptable level you have to train that all the time or the player will "forgot" that position.

In real life many players play in different positions and especially young players changes their playing positions quite lot before they found the best position to play. For example Carles Puyol started his career as a right winger and nowadays his natural position is center back. There's a lot of examples in every team.

This position learning is quite hard in FM. For example I had a 16 years old youngster who's natural position was a left defender and was accomplished as a right defender. He was quite slow and big guy with good jumping so I put him to train to center back. When he was 18 years old his center back skill was awkward. That must be because his bad adaptability. In two years of training he couldn't play in that position even his skills were just suited for that.

Other example. I had 24 years old left footed winger who's natural position was a right midfielder. He was competent as a left midfielder. I put him to learn to play as left midfielder and quite fast he was accomplished with that. He trained that new position about 6 months and played as a left midfielder. Then I stopped training that position because I thought he's now accomplished with it and don't have to train it anymore. In one month he's left midfielder skill dropped back to competent. And I gave in.

Third example. I started managing a new club and there was a 32 years old center defender (no other positions), who's defending skills were quite bad for that level but his play-making skills were quite good. So I put him training as a defensive midfielder. He trained that a year and if I remember right his position didn't changed. What an idiot. He played just in reserve team and finally I kicked him out of team.

So what I mean is that we have to have better and more permanent way to train a new position. It could go for example something like this:

-Player has a natural position and some accomplished positions, maybe some competent positions.

-If player plays he's accomplished or competent positions all the time, those positions start to rise and some day his natural position will change for that position that player has played most. His former natural position will drop to accomplished then and so on.

-So if player has learned a new position he won't "forget" it. Of course player must train for some time to be accomplished to play a new position but when he's played enough matches in that position he won't forget that if stops that individual training. He won't need anymore individual training for that new position.

-So we need more ways to change the positions. I must be more flexible. Positions may vary more.

What do you guys think about position development?

Archived