Having trouble winning when it matters the most...

Hello all,

A friend and I are currently playing a network game together. We began with PSV and Ajax, and we’ve progressed since then. We’ve both had up’s and down’s, and we have been generally enjoying the majority of the game thus far. After three seasons at PSV, all finishing runner-up to my friend’s Ajax side, I took the vacant position at Valencia CF when Luis Aragones retired.

Since taking the job, I’ve had a lot of fun. I brought about four players with me from PSV, and have been extremely fortunate to have a few of Spain’s future stars come through my youth system. I’ve completed two full seasons, and am halfway through the third. My first full season, I actually challenged Real and Barca to the death, finishing a paltry two points from the winner. My second season, however, was a real disappointment; the majority of it was spent battling against losses to lesser teams. I struggled and just barely clinched a Euro cup spot on the second-to-last day of the season. It’s now January of the year 2016, and we’re in second place in the league, five points off Real Madrid.

I’ve attributed a number of factors to my season results that look something like this:

First season in charge (2013-14):

- David Villa played extremely well, tallying 28 goals, 7 assists, 5 mom’s and a 7.4 rating in 29 appearances. Also, Juan Mata played very well, finishing with a 7.32 rating over 34 appearances

- Also, many of my fringe players gave excellent performances when called upon, and my defense was very solid, giving up only 31 goals over 38 games

Second season in charge (2014-15)

- I didn’t change my tactics or my players very much, if at all, this season. I think that this allowed teams to better prepare for my approach, and generally snuff out my tactics

- Also, Villa, the man who carried the team last year, had a poor season, only scoring 8 goals in 28 appearances. The only saving grace to my side was Juan Mata who unbelievably still managed 10 goals, 4 mom’s and a 7.3 rating over 35 appearances

My third season has been going well, and I attribute it to changing my tactical approach, and also maintaining squad harmony. Currently, my team harmony is at a staggering 93%. I’ve brought in two world class players, Gourcuff on a free transfer, and an unsettled Miguel Veloso for 23 million BPS.

So after setting the big stage, I’ve finally arrived at my problem. I just can’t seem to win when it matters the most. My friend has won a total of three Eredivisie titles, a Dutch Cup, a Euro cup, two Champions Leagues with Liverpool, a World Cup with Brazil, as well as a Copa America with them, all in 5 years.

I’ve won a Dutch Super Cup.

I’m not at all angry, but it has been frustrating. I’ve reached a number of semi-finals and quarter finals, only to bow out with poor performances to evenly-matched or lesser teams. And this carries over to league play as well. In my two-and-a-half years in Spain I’ve never beaten teams when it was crucial, like when I had an opportunity to take first place in the league.

It doesn’t appear to be the caliber of teams that seems to befuddle me, but it does seem to be the weight of the pressure. I’ve cared for team harmony, language barriers, personalities, team gelling, morale, etc., but I still can’t seem to beat teams when it means the most. It seems that in these “important” games, the overall match rating of my teams is near 6.5.

Maybe I’m delusional, but it seems to be my glaring flaw in this game: my ability to get my team to win when it means the most.

Anyone have any tips for getting the most out of players when it counts?

Thanks for reading this, by the way. And I appreciate any feedback. :thup:

Archived