Team Conceding Goals

Conceding goals is proving to be a real problem for my team. I've just started a season with Northampton Town and have shipped 10 goals on my opening 3 friendlies against not particularly good opposition.

Northampton Reserves - Won - 1-0

Stevenage - Lost - 6-2

Luton - Lost - 4-0

Any ideas on how to sure up my defense who don't appear too bad on paper? My budget is £0 so I've been restricited to loans and free agents.

Is this a problem with opposition instructions, my tatics, or should I sign some better defenders?

This is troubling as my board (unrealistically) expects promotion at the very least. My signings have been mainly players listed for loan from big clubs who don't require a wage contribution. Any help would be appreciated.

My tactics vary depending on my opponents. Against weaker teams I'll control possession, hassle opponents, work the ball forward and use a target man. When I came up against Aston Villa I went more defensive and got slaughtered 7-0 but it was Villa's best team.

The team all seem up to scratch according to my coaching staff (apart from one of my signings who at the time was described as a "major coup" at the time).

Major problems include missing one-on-ones, leaving strikers when marking, poor crossing and awful passing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and you're right tactics can baffle me at times I'll definately get to grips with the guide.

Archived