Potential Ability etc - how does it work?

I was hoping someone could help - ive never really got my head around the PA and CA system. Obviously i know what it is and what it is for - but how is it measured? How does it work and what do the figures mean? Eg -9.

If there is another thread that covers this then please let me know the link and ill look there.

Cheers!

I don't fully understand it my self, but the -9 and so are radom figures that will be different in every save, -10 being the better.

This will mean this player will have a PA between 170 and 200 in every save. -9 will mean a PA between 166 and 180, etc.

So a high potencial youngster may be a world class player in a save and just a good player in other.

I also know for a fact that attributes are very important, since they define de ratings of a player. So a player with 160 of current ability but with the important figures for a position may be better than a player with 175, but with not so good attributes for that position.

And off course hidden attributes will also play a role in this subject.

Also the difference between CA and PA may define how much a player can grow, but hidden attributes like professionalism will be very important in order for him to fullfill his potential.

Shortly:

-10 = 170-200 PA

-9 = 150-180 PA

-8 = 130-160 PA

-7 = 110-140 PA

-6 = 90-120 PA

-5 = 70-100 PA

-4 = 50-80 PA

-3 = 30-60 PA

-2 = 10-40 PA

-1 = 0-20 PA

That is randomized when starting new game.

CA is "rough average of players skills". Value is 0-200. PA tells, how high CA CAN BE. So if PA is 100, player cannot have CA higher than 100.

When player develops, he gets higher CA. PA limits his CA to certain level. When player declines, his CA gets lower.

CA changes affect directly to many player attributes. CA gets higher, attributes rise and vice versa.

I meant 160-180 to -9 but it seems it's 150-180.

Also i believe players reaching their PA is related to them playing in the position they have the better rating.

In FM09 i had two saves where i played Micha Richards. He was a natural at Central defender, but when i played him there he didn't grow that much.

In the other save i played him as right back and he grew a lot.

I then used genie to check his ratings and he had better chances at right back.

Same thing in FM 2010 i believe. There's a thread where a guy posted an image for his Cristiano Ronaldo, having scored 70 goals firts season as complete forward, after he retrained him.

I went to check in genie and in fact he has higher ratings for a fast forward than for a winger.

Very helpful guys thank you.

Im guessing the PA is hidden from us during the game. Besides editor etc. And you have to go by coaches opinions etc.

I feel a bit more enlightened now!!

Correct guess, also CA is hidden.

So basically there is no formal way of knowing if your player has reached their peak?? Just when the performances start to wane a bit.

Look when non free attributes (not including goalkeepers; everything else than Aggression, Determination, Flair and Naturall fitness) stop getting better. Then player is on his peak. Of course, injuries, lack of game experience and so on have effect.

Archived