a relative speed listing

hi there, long time game player, long time forum reader, relatively new forum poster - i'd first like to say i really like this version of the game.

one thing i'd really like from the forums is a rough speed listing - my pc is ok, not the best but exceeds minimum spec quite considerably (and i've done the defrag and make the game run at high priority etc.).

The reason for my question is that I want the game to run as quickly as possible, but I want the game to have as many players as possible - and if there is an optimum selection of databases and leagues then i'd like to be able to make it

I'd like something like the following:

1 nation 1 league small database - speed is X (to set a baseline of speed - I understand that everyone's PC is different and so X is different for everyone)

1 nation 1 league medium database - speed is X + Y

1 nation 1 league large database - speed is X + 2Y (for instance)

1 nation 2 leagues small DB = speed is X + Y + Z

2 nations 1 league (in each) = 2X

some of you may think this is a silly thing, but i've played a large database (1 nation + 2 leagues) and a small database (1 nation + 1 league) and anecdotally I have not experienced much of a difference.

I'm sure that sigames know this data as I'm confident their testing is extensive, thorough and scientific so they will have data similar to this.

I'd just like that data shared.

I've learnt that on international weeks - go make a coffee (could we have a skip to next game option?), and the uefa cup early rounds is just painfully slow (if you are playing in them) I now just hope I don't qualify due to how painful it is.

anyway that's just my tuppence

I'm loving the 3d and look forward to next year's issue - please just try and make the processing quicker.

thanks (hoping that someone will point me at a list of speeds as i've outlined and call me an idiot, as it's true, I am an idiot)

Rich

I had a similar idea Rich. I find that deciding which setup I should go with, i.e. what leagues to play, is the worst part of starting a new game for me. I always procrastinate over starting a game on FM because I am always concerned over getting the right mix of realism and ensuring that my game will run at an acceptable speed for years to come. In my opinion, it is essential to get the right leagues and database combination to ensure longevity.

Many people report that the 'recommend' button on the 'setting up a new game' page on FM is not particularly insightful. There is a lot of confusion and there are frequently threads where people write out their PC specs in a desperate attempt to get some advice from other FM users as to how many leagues they can run.

Like you, I was thinking that it would be really good if someone could come up with a solid and standard way of testing a setup on any given system. My leading idea for this was to get people to holiday with their given setup for the first month of game time and time it and then compare on 'acceptable' timings.

The difficulty I can foresee with your idea is that just as X is different for everyone, Y will probably be different for everyone too.

C.

cheers mate, at least it's not just me ;-)

sigames should do this kind of testing as a matter of course when releasing the game, so although I admit it is hard to guage the X time setting a benchmark shouldn't be

there should at least be some published benchmarks in terms of the difference between a large, medium and small database, even if these are rough and ready rules of thumb.

X is hard to define but call it X and then calculate the percentage of X for the bigger DB size, as a small, medium and large DB is just a certain number of calculations (even if you have a pc dogged by lots of spyware using generic units like X should still apply in a similar fashion whether you are using small, medium etc)

oh well no matter, i just thought by not raising it nothing will be done

thanks

Rich

The other trouble is that X or Y is difficult to define depending upon the leagues or league combinations you load up.

If you load up England and a nation in another continent, Y will be different in comparison to loading up England together with Scotland.

Anyway, my suggestion to you is to load up some different settings and time how long it takes for one week. Around the 3 or 4 minute mark for 7 days is my speed tolerance. That's roughly the time you're going to have to wait between matches.

C.

Archived