No "threading" option with Turion 64 x2 dual core processor

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue, as stated in the title: the "threading" option in FM2009's preferences is greyed out, even though I have a Turion 64 x2 dual core processor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turion_64_X2). I'm running Windows Vista Business on a Dell Vostro 1000.

I note from a search of the forums that at least one person has had to enable their dual core via their BIOS settings. I've had a look through the BIOS settings but can't seem to find anything.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be really appreciative. I need to get FM running faster! ;)

Thanks!

Hit Ctrl-Shift-Esc and in Task Manager, go to Performance (or whatever it's called now). In CPU Usage History (or the top green graph), do you have two split graphs? If not, your BIOS needs to allow it. Different BIOS programs do it differently - and different manufacturers use different BIOS systems. Do you know the manufacturer of your BIOS?

There is a CPU Usage History graph, and a Physical Memory Usage History graph, but that's it. The laptop is a Dell, so I guess it's a Dell BIOS?

Thanks for your help. If I can provide any more information, please let me know.

This is clearly not a problem very many people are having, but I thought I'd post back with the fix I found.

Basically, it was down to Windows Vista (Business) not recognising the dual core processor. To fix this, I had to go to msconfig (from the start menu) - Boot tab - Advanced Options. From there, I clicked Detect Hal and reboot, upon which Vista recognised the two processors. Yippeeeeee! ;)

Hope this helps someone else.

Archived