The Sheffield United Project FM 10

United Vs Roma

For the second leg of the match I decided to play the same way I did away from home. I felt Roma could cause me a few defensive problems if I tried to attack them. So rather than be punished I’d soak up attacks and hit them on the counter attack again.

11383403.jpg

I was hanging on in the final 5 minutes as Roma were really going for it. So I just changed the time wasting slider to full to help let the game time run out without been over cautious defensively. Apart from that the game was straight forward.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

80190606.jpg

The Champions League was really taking it'stoll by now on mt league campaign. I had a few injury problems and suspensions and didn't have the depth I'd have liked. I was playing people out of position or playing people who simply were not at 100%. My squad was depleted at this point and very tired. I just didn't have enough players to rotate :(

The draw for the Quarter finals of the Champions League was kind, and I ended up playing the weakest team left in it (bar myself of course).

United Vs Partizan

52966647.jpg

I used the normal tactic here and it worked extremely well and I ended up hammering them in the end. Nothing needed changing in game whatsoever.

Partizan Vs United

I had a good 4 goal cushion for this game so rested a few key players. As much as I wanted to win the Champions League I felt the league was slipping away from me. And my 12 point gap was been cut away every week.

So for this game I decided to play the same way as I did against them at home.

94899800.jpg

I didn’t take my chances here and I lost 2 goals from needless free kicks. I should have won this game though but I didn’t take my chances.

Real Madrid Vs United

This was undoubtedly the hardest game I’ve had while been in charge of the Blades. For this game I decided to start the same as the last few games but also with a deep defensive line and counter attacking ticked. This was because I wanted to allow them to attack me and then I could break away at pace. Plus Madrid is relentless in attacking and has fast players. Defending high up the pitch would have been suicide. I also started to watch the game in full mode.

90560668.jpg

I had a massive piece of luck in the opening 5 minutes of the game. Madrid got a red card after 4 minutes. Lady luck was shining on me it seemed.

They never looked the same after that really and while they had some shots I was holding my own and creating some very good chances me. Here is how I scored the goal;

22891050.jpg

It looks like I don’t have many options but take notice of the AML’s position and watch him about to cut inside and split the defence.

28487287.jpg

By cutting inside he split the defence open and was left with bags of space. He then slots the ball home and grabs the goal. He did exactly what I had set him up to do, this is the kind of thing inside forwards should be doing.

United Vs Madrid

I set up the exact same way as I did in the away leg.

47024963.jpg

In the end I was unlucky to only have got a draw but I just couldn’t put my chances away. If I had I could have won this by 3 or 4 more. In the last 10 minutes of the game it felt like I was hanging on but I think that was more me wanting to make the Champions League final. I had to time waste a lot during the last 8 minutes.

Apart from that I just let the game flow as I felt I was doing alright even though Madrid didn’t play that bad either.

I managed to win the league but it was far from easy. At one stage earlier in the season it looked like I would win it by a good 18 points even more. However the final third of the season took its toll on my small squad. I just didn’t have the depth to compete.

25804156.jpg

The league title actually went to the last day of the season. If Chelsea hadn’t lost they would have pipped me to the title as I could only manage a draw. However Arsenal did me a massive favour by beating them.

I’ve just turned down the Manchester United job as well.

75989049.jpg

Champions League Final

United Vs At. Madrid

As I played ever so well against Real Madrid I decided to start this game in the exact same way.

81347496.jpg

I just couldn’t put my chances away in this game. In the end it went to penalties and I won. I thought I played well in this game and I should have really won it before the 90 minutes was over.

• 4 weeks later...

I've decided to carry this on but I wont be udating this thread as it will no longer be a tactical discussion as I will be turning the rest into just a career thread. If you wish to follow that then the link is http://www.myfmcv.com/topic/the-sheffield-united-project-the-complete-story-60/1#p446

This was my last Sheffield United Project as I won't be doing it next year. Or at least I don't plan on doing it but things change. But as it stands now I have no plans to continue making this thread each year. I believe I've took it as far as I can. I'm also unsure of what type of thread I'll be doing next version of the game but I'm sure I'll be contributing in some fashion.

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback, comments and asked questions :)

• 2 months later...
Are you keeping your career going though? not seen you update the thread above or in the Official thread ;)

Maybe but I'm side tracked doing other projects atm, so it wont be anything immediate :)

Well done on this cleon!

As a football manager/ championship manager before the split i've found this years edition harder to become addicted to than previous versions.

I therefore have tried replicating what you have done with sheffield united in my game.

The only difference being that i have had to use a smaller data base meaning my signings have been less decent.

I am useing the direct passing when the weather is bad, and also the more defensive style when its going against me.

Can i ask what type of game you are styled on in the create tactics?

I've guessed at fluid and at the moment have played 9, won 2, drawn 5, lost 2, scored 6, conceded 8, although the last game was something i did'nt see coming as we lost 3-1 away at swansea!

Before that, the issue i had was scoreing, but now the defence has gone pete tong!

The players that you signed could be the reason, although i have only managed to signed lopez and muninez cb from barca. I also loaned in mccann from bolton, walker on loan from spurs, merida on loan from arsenal, hughes on a free from pompey. i also loaned baxter but did'nt like him so terminated.

I also tried resting what i saw was my best side for the carling cup.

My team has ended up being

gk -bunn

rb- both good france and walker

lb-taylor and stewart both decent

cb- morgan and nosworthy first choice, although morgan is inconsistent leaving seip and munisca to be average

dm- harper was quality in pre season although not so since, hughes seems injury prone, montgomery has been injured but not showing any form in the reserves, mccann plays normally further forawrd.

cm- i try playing williamson in the righthandside more attacking role who is average at best, quinn on the left side is also poor. i've also tried them the otherway round and not had much impact.

Mccann and harper have also played average/ poorly in these roles and merida is still hit and miss.

lw-lopez started well, dos'nt seem to cut in much and has poor fitness, cresswell done ok but got injured, yeates prefers the right, not tried quinn there, jordon is ok there

rw- ward has been injured, camara goes missing but has shown some magic on the counter with his pace, again seems to wide to and hardly ever cuts in.

st- henderson done well in pre season but is yet to score in six and although getting good ratings for the reserves , is poor for the first team, evens has ability but dos'nt win enough or hold the ball enough.

Just to add that i try to sub all players as you advised when their fitness is 75 percent or lower?

The problem lies in your selection imo. Ryan France is a dreadful player as is Harper as the DMC. He can't tackle, check his stats and you'll see he is no good as a dmc. I've never had a problem with Morgan either, he is the most consistent player they have apart from Monty. I also find Evans is better than Henderson.

Apart from that your settings should be fine if you've followed the thread.

I would echo Cleon about harper playing DMC and it is a shame about Monty as he is still hanging about for me in season three. I got much better performances out of him as an MC. Morgan was an absolute rock in defence but you need to invest in his replacement for when you get to the Premier League. I played him all season in the championship but only half the matches in the first premiership season till I have a decent replacement and now in season 3 he is nothing more than a backup.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought i would let you guys know that once i put the tactic strategy to fluid and standard, i saw a different team!

They still drew to many, but i won five in a row all of the sudden.

Then for half a dozen games i drew far to many and was still only 7th before winning my last eight games and finishing third.

In the playoffs i lost to swansea away 1-0 but then smashed them 7-0 at home!

And then beat newcastle in the final 2-1 after being a goal down!

I now love this game again thanks to this thread as i'm now addicted buying my own players in the hope of following in cleons footsteps!

Just thought i would let you guys know that once i put the tactic strategy to fluid and standard, i saw a different team!

They still drew to many, but i won five in a row all of the sudden.

Then for half a dozen games i drew far to many and was still only 7th before winning my last eight games and finishing third.

In the playoffs i lost to swansea away 1-0 but then smashed them 7-0 at home!

And then beat newcastle in the final 2-1 after being a goal down!

I now love this game again thanks to this thread as i'm now addicted buying my own players in the hope of following in cleons footsteps!

Wait til you get to the Prem then you'll hate it again ;)

Quick question cleon, when you changed the dmc to a more defensive player, what role did you give the previously defensive central midfielder?

I can't remember now it was that long ago. But if I've not mentioned it in the thread then I probably didn't change it.

Archived