Official Oxford United Thread: 8.0.2

dexta200

hi lads, still in my first season with 12 league games left up to second, goal difference seperating me and crawley who are top. just into february signed fox (lb) from coventry on loan, russell hoult (gb) from stoke on a permenant deal and the previous guys on my post before this. only got 6 members at oxford who were thereat a start; some turnover!! out of all 3 cups but league 2 is now within reach.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for not updateed, my computer been messing around. Now starting 3rd season in League 1! Here's how League 2 finished up:

cc2endseason2ta6.jpg

Just squaked through then! icon_razz.gif

Now prizes for guessing who was my best player, step forward Mr Ganea: ended up with 64 goals in 52 games in all comps, pretty impressive I'd say! Others to note were Vokes (good off the bench), Estrada and Salomonsson (assist kings), Richard Hughes (broke up every opposition attack) and Maghoma (16 goals from midfield).

Here are my transfers so far this season:

oxfordtransfersseason3rv9.jpg

I saw that my squad had a total of 0 English players in it so I tried to buy only English players (apart from the already confirmed transfers ofc). Christie, Roberts and Gerrard (yet to be confirmed) are all regens btw. Took your advice on Bertrand btw Tom: he'd better be good! icon_wink.gif

I'm thinking we should line up like this

GK: Medran/Scribe

DR: Para/San Roman (no wp problems icon_confused.gif)

DL: Bertrand/Dubarbier

DC: Yepes/A Bamba

DC: Obama/Christie

DM: Soley/Hughes (rotation)

MC: Bernardo/Davies

MC: Martinez/Maghoma (rotation)

AMR: Salomonsson/Barcham

AML: Estrada/Adam Johnson

FC: Ganea/Vokes

What do you guys think?

Nick, nice one mate. That's a bit mean from the board only giving you £127k. You might be better off looking at loans or free transfers. I'll do my best:

DR: Zakuani (Fulham), Riley, Gunter, McKenna (Spurs), Gilbert, Gavin Hoyte (Arsenal), Grant (Chelsea), Sinclair (Bolton), Darby (Liverpool), Logan (Man City), Lee, Possebon, Eckersley (Man Utd), McMahon (Boro)- All loans.

DC: Yepes (America)- £45k, Cuthbert (Celtic)- £?, Edgar, Tozer (Newcastle), Dervite (Spurs), Cruise, Nordtveit (Arsenal), Pettigrew, Cork (Chelsea), Hunt, Tomkins (West Ham), Fojut, Ellis, Sissons (Bolton), Hobbs, Roque, San Jose (Liverpool), Mills (Man City), Cathcart (Man Utd)- All loans.

ST: Vokes (Bournemouth)- may be too pricey tho, Andrade (Allianza Lima)- £4k, Ganea... oh wait no! Loans again.

Also look at South American clubs for bargains. Might be too late but hope that helps mate! icon_smile.gif

Andy, well done mate, I'm sure you'll win it! Yeah, I didn't have many original players left and now I have none in my first squad: most aren't good enough imo. Ledgister, Quinn, Day and Rose are okay but if you want to climb the leagues quickly you're goona have to sell them off tbh. Good luck! icon14.gif

ah thats cool. good that san roman didnt have work permit problems! bertrand should be good! he has been made slightly better on the new patch in my opinion. will like to see how bernardo, obama, san roman and scribe do for you this season mate.

No probs mate season goes on I'll look at them in detail. Here's some screenies:

bernardostartofseasonsi5.jpg

Been getting tons of enquiries about Bernardo but I've rejected them and he's not unhappy... yet.

obamastartofseasonjp0.jpg

sanromanstartofseasonyq0.jpg

scribestartofseasonrl2.jpg

Hope they all worked! Tried to make them smaller so they wouldn't take up the whole page lol.

Hi Guys,

i'm thinking of starting a new game as oxford after reading your posts about your games.

I started a game with them on the old patch but i want to start one on the new patch so would anyone be able to help me?

Which players should i loan or buy?

Who should i sell?

Help would be appreciated icon_smile.gif

Dale, hi mate! First things first make sure you get a parent club (Spurs are mine) cos you can get some quality loan players!

Some players I had success with first season:

Emil Salomonsson (Free) Must buy: good enough for Championship imo!

Seyfo Soley (Free)

Leandro de Oliviera (Free)

Adilson (Free)- bit old tho

Paul Tierney- Blackpool (£4k)

Johnatan Estrada- Envigado (~£10k)

And loans really (Forecast, Riley and Maghoma from Spurs and Harsanyi from Bolton). These signings got me 123 points in the BSP first season!

From the original squad Turley, Day, Quinn, Foster, Trainer, Rose and Ledgister aren't bad but I would try and get rid of the rest of them tbh.

Good luck and you know where to come if you need any help! icon14.gif

Originally posted by ypresfr:

They might be a bit too small, if you want them bigger just give me a shout! icon_smile.gif

no thats great mate! should all improve of this season as well. are you playing scribe as your number one?

Also Dale, James Clarke was a good right back for me for first couple of seasons!

It was a very successful first season if I do say so myself:

bspendseason1ul4.jpg

Just about sneaked through then! icon_razz.gif

Also very successful in cups:

FA Cup: 5th Round (v QPR)

Setanta Shield: Winners (v Rushden)

FA Trophy: Winners (v Stevenage)

Here are the stats for my squad:

oxfordsquadstatsendseasdz0.jpg

Star players were Harsanyi and Estrada really, although everyone did very well.

Good luck mate. icon_smile.gif

Tom, I'm gonna give him and Medran a chance and see what performs better. Will report back on all of them tho. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Dale0718:

How the hell did you manage to only lose 1 game and get your players to play so well icon_razz.gif

Whats your tactic like?

This was my tactic first season:

oxfordtacticjan2008lg8.jpg

I must warn you it doesn't work for everyone so try others as well! I'm Matt btw. icon_smile.gif

Dale, hi mate! First things first make sure you get a parent club (Spurs are mine) cos you can get some quality loan players!

Some players I had success with first season:

Emil Salomonsson (Free) Must buy: good enough for Championship imo!

Seyfo Soley (Free)

Leandro de Oliviera (Free)

Adilson (Free)- bit old tho

Paul Tierney- Blackpool (£4k)

Johnatan Estrada- Envigado (~£10k)

And loans really (Forecast, Riley and Maghoma from Spurs and Harsanyi from Bolton). These signings got me 123 points in the BSP first season!

From the original squad Turley, Day, Quinn, Foster, Trainer, Rose and Ledgister aren't bad but I would try and get rid of the rest of them tbh.

Good luck and you know where to come if you need any help! icon14.gif

I can't seem to find Estrada, Adilson and Leandro.

Do i need anything other than a large database?

Shame about Estrada: he's amazing. I play on a large database but with all the South American leagues loaded so that's probably why.

Agreed about Ait Fana: he would be a brilliant signing. For the record, Savage went to Rotherham on my game and he doesn't look too good tbh. Will be good for the BSP I suppose tho.

Originally posted by Dale0718:

thanks dexta200 icon_smile.gif

How good did bas savage turn out to be on your game?

Or did you not buy him?

he got around 18 goals iirc, which for free isn't bad and playing him right he could be good. Matt made a lot of better signings though. just make sure you get salomonsson and i would say esmir sabic as well.

Ganea is picking up from where he left off, just scored a hattrick against Northampton in a 4-2 win! icon_biggrin.gif

Harsanyi was my lone striker in my first season and was pretty amazing iirc. A loan is probably your best option if you want the really good players tbh.

Hey guys

Started playing as Oxford and won the BSP and League 2 in my first 2 seasons and walked them both. Now in League 1 and my record is played 9 won 1 drawn 3 and lost 5 and in 23rd position.

my key players are:

Jack Hobbs

James Collision

Kyle Reid

Matthew Coulson scored 36 goals in 35 games in League 2

My problem is I'm shipping goals in and don't seem able to score many and nearly every players rating are averaging below 7 where as in previous seasons everyones was above 7. Can anyone recommend any hints or tactics could bring 1 player in on loan for 3 months but when January arrives I'll have £2.4m to spend.

Any suggestions?

evening boys!!!! played 40 games now, top of the conference with 6 games to go 5 points clear of 2nd place and with a superior goal difference and 9 points clear of final play off place. got 2nd in the league next will play that tomorrow and let you guys know prob monday the final outcome of my first season.. if i do get promoted can you guys be ready for some good signings if poss please.

many thanks. andy

Jonny, welcome mate! I'm also in League One and can recommend:

Keeper- Anthony Scribe, Ezequiel Medran, Ben Alnwick (Loan)

Defenders- Jose San Roman (poss wp probs), Para, Gabriel Zakuani (Loan), David Yepes, Obama, Anderson Bamba, David Edgar (Loan), Rogerinho, Sebastien Dubarbier.

Midfielders- Richard Hughes, Tamir Cohen, Emil Salomonsson, Andy Barcham (Loan), Daniel Braaten (Loan or permnanent), Elvio Martinez, Bernardo, Mark Davies, Jacques Maghoma (Loan), Johnatan Estrada, Adam Johnson (Loan)

Strikers- LIVIU GANEA (amazing!), Sam Vokes, Omar Andrade, Stewart Kean. Loans from Prem clubs.

All fb players that would be good in any League 1 team imo. Have a look and see what you think. Good luck mate! icon_smile.gif

George, no probs mate. Talk to you then! icon14.gif

Andy, well done mate! Here are my transfers second season. Check them out and see what you think. Any indication of how much you're gonna have to spend?

oxfordtransfersseason2tf6.jpg

Good luck everyone! icon_smile.gificon14.gif

Jordan Rhodes on loan from Ipswich is a QUALITY signing for any League 1 team. Walked the league first three seasons with Woking but Championship looks like it may be harder and he scored by the bucketload last season. I really envy you guy's pre-set reputation and your mounds of cash, I couldn't get Soley until season 2 in League 2.

Ryan McCord was a quality AM I picked up as well.

I think i may start a new game as Oxford, sounds good fun. But TBH i dont know anything about them, so need some information!

Who are their best players, what is expected of you, what is the budget like, and who are good signings?

Thanks for all answers i may recieve!

My internet's still being dodgy so I'm gonna have to update quite a lot in this one post. Right first things first I made a few last minute transfers in the summer:

IN

Daniel Braaten (£900k + Seyfo Soley)

Tamir Cohen (£230k)

OUT

Johnatan Estrada (£3m to Newcastle) Board accepted but still a pretty good price and a £3m profit! icon_biggrin.gif

Seyfo Soley (p/ex)

Hardly Bolton legends that I've brought in but you have to start somewhere! Braaten has done well so far but Cohen has just been backup to Hughes tbh.

Now in January, here's how the league stands:

cc1jan2010yn6.jpg

Cruising once again! icon_biggrin.gif Here's my squad stats:

oxfordsquadstatsjan2010oc8.jpg

Ganea, while not as scintillating as last season, is still banging them in and Barcham has proved an excellent loan signing thus far. Other stars have been Obama, Salomonsson (surprise, surprise) and Yepes.

As for the cups I lost to Portsmouth on pens in the League Cup, play Gillingham in the 4th round of the FA Cup and we're through to the semi-final of the JPT southern section.

For you Tom here are some screenies:

scribestartofseasonuy0.jpg

Been rotating with Medran but his stats have come on a lot so will make him number 1 I think.

7.5/10

obamastartofseasonaf3.jpg

Been excellent so far and has scored quite a few as well. 9/10

sanromanstartofseasonig0.jpg

Para has played well all season so San Roman's opportunities have been limited. Not his fault tho, his stats g=have developed and has done well when he's played. 6/10

bernardostartofseasonkl1.jpg

Him and Martinez have done well in the middle of the park and we've been getting even more inquiries cos of he good performances. How's he been for you? 8.5/10

Phew that was hard work at this time of night! Enjoy! icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Mike_Cardinal:

Jordan Rhodes on loan from Ipswich is a QUALITY signing for any League 1 team. Walked the league first three seasons with Woking but Championship looks like it may be harder and he scored by the bucketload last season. I really envy you guy's pre-set reputation and your mounds of cash, I couldn't get Soley until season 2 in League 2.

Ryan McCord was a quality AM I picked up as well.

Thanks mate, I'll look into those players and recommend them if anyone asks, cheers!

About the reputaton, ours is better than Woking's but I don't envy you're job mate: it's been difficult to get decent players to us (I've been lucky by the sounds of it) so for you it must be hell! Congrats on the job you've done btw! icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by arsenal_2111:

I think i may start a new game as Oxford, sounds good fun. But TBH i dont know anything about them, so need some information!

Who are their best players, what is expected of you, what is the budget like, and who are good signings?

Thanks for all answers i may recieve!

Arsenal hi mate! Give Oxford a shot mate it's a good, fun challenge but not as difficult as some teams ie. Woking (!), it'll make a nice change from all those easy Arsenal games as well! Plus it's the only really active LLM thread: you can't lose! icon14.gif

Best players are probably Day, Quinn, Foster, Clarke, Rose, Trainer and Ledgister but even they're not up to much tbh, you'll need to buy some better one's WHEN (not being presumptuous here) you become the manager.

Budget is about £20k iirc but I would reccomend loading the players from all the South American countries to get some excellent cheap players/free transfers.

Promotion is expected tbh cos you have the highest rep in the Conference but the Play-Offs is a minimum... no pressure then! icon_wink.gif

Mike_Cardinal seems to know his stuff have a look at them. Also get yourself a parent club and loans are probvably the best option to get top players. Def buy Emil Salomonsson, Seyfo Soley, Adilson (bit old tho) and Johnatan Estrada if you can get a wp. These are my transfers 1st season:

oxfordtransfersseason1no1.jpg

All we're pretty good tbh.

Give Oxford a go mate and give us a shout if you need any help! icon14.gificon_smile.gif

ok then, think i will give it a go! Only ever been to the Championship before, never even been abroad, so LLM will be a nice change, if a bit strange! Have seen a few people with Spurs as a feeder,is it between them, Chelsea, Villa, and West Ham normally? Thats who i have had the choice of on my Watford game!

Dont think i will play it <STRIKE>tonight</STRIKE> this morning, going to go to bed in a minute! But will start it in the morning, and hopefully guide Oxford to some sucess!!

Couple more questions...

1) Do many players want to join?

2) What are the staff like?

3) Is it worth aranging friendlies against big teams for money?

4) Generally, what are finances like (rich, ok, bad)?

Thanks!

you can get alot of good players from your parent club. yes a few are interested. i didn't bother arranging friendlies against bigger teams. the bank balance is in a good state. this has been 1 of my most enjoyable games on fm 08 icon14.gif

hey Matt, nice ones, scribe looks like he will be coming along like he did on mine. same with Obama. as for bernardo i have oonly just finished 1st season and he is coming in july. he will probably only play cup games though.

Arsenal_2111

obviously not many players want to join the BSP but within no time at all you will be in the championship. the staff will be okay until you need to start competeting with bigger sides. and yes arrange a few big money friendlies if possible

finances improve amazingly! bank balance of over 3million by end of 1st season easy!

Arsenal:

Both me and Dexta200 got Spurs but others have got West Ham. Spurs have been an excellent parent club with loan like Maghoma, Alnwick etc. Get Spurs if you have the choice.

1) Well not at the beginnning really unless they are free transfers but if you do well and maybe win a cup or 2 then more are willing to join. Oxford do have the best rep in the conference tho. If you load all the players from Brazil/Argentina etc it's mainly players from those countries that are interested.

2) Staff are not brilliant but they'll do for the first season. I never had a problem with the staff but still replaced most of them in the second season.

3) Yeah, that's a good idea.

4) Finances are okay at the start but there is a fairly big stadium so the balance goes up very quickly. I had about £3.5 mil budget in the third season but you won't need to use it all until you get into the Championship I reckon.

Good luck! icon14.gif

Archived