Squad Management (An Easier Way)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure whether it's down to the team squad.xml file but... when I'm on the 'selection' view on my team squad, the loan players colour appears to be normal (the same to that of my owned players) and I have the same problem with 'greyed-out' players, they look like they are 'real' players. Please can you take a look into this for me?

Hi iTry.. good to see you lurking outside of the Dafuge challenge :)

The colour issue you are having is nothing to do with the team squad.xml unfortunately. There is another xml that defines the colours that you see players in- are you using a skin- or have you altered the colours in anyway already?

I'll try and find out which xml it is. One test you can do is to load up the default. If the colours appear fine, copy my panels into the folder (as instructed above ^^ for someone playing on FM default with no skin). If the colours still appear fine- we know its the skin you are using.

PM me if neither of these work- we'll see if we can get it sorted.

Cheers for the feedback :thup:

That was one of my biggest issues with the old panels too. Also for when players recovering from Injury are automatically selected for reserve team football (even though they maybe tired).

Going to be finalising 1.2 over the next week or so, so if you get any more requests- drop me a line :)

Just wanted to post a thanks. Not least for the "Fitness" thingy on the tactics screen. One thing that annoys me to no end is when I accidentally pick a "tired" player.

Hi iTry.. good to see you lurking outside of the Dafuge challenge :)

The colour issue you are having is nothing to do with the team squad.xml unfortunately. There is another xml that defines the colours that you see players in- are you using a skin- or have you altered the colours in anyway already?

I'll try and find out which xml it is. One test you can do is to load up the default. If the colours appear fine, copy my panels into the folder (as instructed above ^^ for someone playing on FM default with no skin). If the colours still appear fine- we know its the skin you are using.

PM me if neither of these work- we'll see if we can get it sorted.

You know me, I'm a sucker for dafuge's challenge ;).

Well I am using a skin that I designed myself just by editing a few graphics and files. I have made changes to the colours but only the attribute colours. The colour for the players in the squad view is defined in the fm colours.xml file in the settings folder of the skin.

I have the following colours:

<!-- player colours -->

<colour name="virtual player" red="40" green="40" blue="40" alpha="130"/><!-- virtual player -->

<colour name="loan out" red="40" green="40" blue="160" alpha="100"/> <!-- on loan to other club -->

<colour name="loan in" red="40" green="40" blue="160"/> <!-- on loan from other club -->

<colour name="co own in" red="160" green="80" blue="40"/> <!-- co owned at club -->

<colour name="co own out" red="160" green="80" blue="40" alpha="100"/> <!-- co owned not at club -->

<colour name="trial in" red="40" green="160" blue="40"/> <!-- on trial at this club -->

<colour name="trial out" red="40" green="160" blue="40" alpha="100"/> <!-- on trial at other club -->

<colour name="shortlisted" red="160" green="40" blue="0"/> <!-- shortlisted -->

which is the default so I've no idea why it doesn't work.

When I'm on the squad screen, using the 'Selection' the players all appear as though they are just owned by me (with the same colour for everyone). However, if I switch to a different view, 'General Info' for example, the correct colours return. If I then switch back onto 'Selection' from 'General Info', the colours are correct too :confused:.

If I leave the squad screen and go onto another, say the league table, and go back, I'm with the wrong colours again. If I don't manage to find the answer in this thread or discover it myself, I'll post up a thread in the skinning hideout. Thanks Surferosa.

Well that's a bit of an odd one. I downloaded your panels again and placed them in here:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\panels

This worked fine as it should - no problem.

I changed your panels about a bit myself so I tried using the default skin with the panels I had modified for my skin and that caused the problem. All I had done to your panels was remove a few things such as best position and player number from the team squad.xml. I've got no idea why this should cause the problem I'm having though. The default panels work correctly in my game - I've just checked.

I've cracked it but I'm not happy with the result. I changed:

<record id="Pnfo" width="20"/> <!-- player status/info -->

to:

<record id="Pnfa" width="140"/> <!-- full player status/info -->

this seems to stop showing up the player colours, presumably because you can see the player you have is on loan from the status and that 'greyed-out' players are not contracted. I wonder if there is any way round this...

OK- got it (Ive managed to recreate it on mine).

It would seem as if on that specific panel, the colouring is linked to the field Pnfo (not Pnfa). So unless you have Pnfo on appearing on the panel- the colours dont work. If you put both of them on the panel, they appear fine.

So, we can work around this. If you are gaming at a high resolution (>1280x1024) you should be able to stick them both on. If not, change the row to "Pnfa" as you had before, then try putting this extra row on the end of that screen:

<record id="Pnfo" width="20" auto_hide_priority="9999"/> <!-- player status/info -->

In theory, it wont show up if you dont have the room: but becuase it is still called, the colouring should work. Or thats my guess anyway (worked for me :))

Give it a pop- let me know how you get on :thup:

That works fine but even with the auto hide priority of 9999, it is shown in full. I guess my resolution is too big. Don't worry about it now, I won't waste any more of your time I'll just get used to it :D.

It will show if you have the room for it (which you do becuase you have a larger res)- it will drop the field if you don't :)

If you really want to get rid of it, change to the player name line to the following:

<flags id="Pnam"/> <!-- person name -->

This should allow the name field to expand to its default setting (and Im hoping in place of your status field).

Either way- glad its sorted :)

Thanks for all your help.

I've just finished editing the Attribute view on the team squad and the player search. I followed Cleon's attributes as much as possible and made it more compatible with TT&F (by including MCd/MCa and FCd/FCa) and re-ordered them by importance in Cleon's opinion in that thread as far as I agreed with it.

I included a few more things such as first touch and composure for a FCa and strength for a MCd that he didn't have. If you want, I could send you this and you could have it as an alternative or make a new drop down list called TT&F Attributes and add this to it.

Just let me know if you do :D.

When I drew up the atribute panels, I did use Cleons attribute list (as per OP). I think the only position where I didnt have enough room to fit everything in was the FCa and I had to drop a field (first touch was it- probably a bad call, but something had to go to fit it onto the screen ) Composure and strength are already on there though- think he was having a bad day at the office leaving them out :)

For attribute ordering, I originally had it in order of a 'theoretical importance'- but after play testing for a while- it was actually a pain. With so many attributes on screen, where you wanted to look for a specific attribute (say bravery) and it keeps jumping around the screen in screen position- its hard work (in comparison to having them sorted alphabetically- where you naturally look to the start of the list for 'B').

My preference would be to have them in sections (such as physical, mental, technical, etc) and alphabetic within that. However, I couldnt put floating headers above the sections- so again it looked to random when you were jumping from one position to another (a DC may have 5 physical attributes showing compared with a SC with only 3- for example). So it didnt work either :(

Thats why I settled on alphabetic- although the most important thing is that people can tailor it to how they play the game (as you have) :thup:

Both of these are fudges ultimately. There is a stack of stuff I'd like to do- but couldn't. Like creating percentages for key attributes (for example, instead of pace, acceleration, dribbling- having a screen that showed 75% Run With Ball for the total if the scores were 15, 15, 15- and so on). Alas- not something you can do with xml :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is an amazingly well done and useful modification! Thanks! I would hate to go back to the default now!

One question: is there a way to allow me to adjust the column widths? I'm using a 1920x1200 screen, and on the tactics screen the name column (looking at the position/morale/condition screen) is very wide, about 3 times the width of my longest name, but the other columns are quite narrow and squeezed and compacted. How could I narrow the names column down and widen the fitness column?

Using this with the klasa skin, fwiw, very nice.

Thanks a lot, you made FM uncumbersome

and guys it works for FM 08 too! =]

Interesting that it works for FM08. Sorry to go off-topic, but does anyone know if the Opposition Instructions modification works with FM08 as well?

By the way, awesome work again Surferosa. :thup:

C.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see its still getting some new fans. Im (slowly) pulling together a list of minor amendments and tweaks for version 2 (although nothing too big- Im trying to play the game a litle too :))

Let me know if got any feedback :thup:

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Surferosa...

Just wanted to thank you, for sharing your work. These panels improves my gameplay significantly. With 15 years of experience, I can tell, that you really hit the bulls eye...

What about being a players developement correspondent to SI ???

- You have my recommandation!

Thanks can't explain my gratitude :-)

Glad people are still using it.. especially the old timers like yourself Swahn :) Im sure I remember you from the old forums... I used to go by the name BeanCounter if the name rings a bell (which it probably wont :rolleyes:).

Anyway- I have developed a 1.2 set which I have been using for a couple of months now- Ive rebuilt a few other panels along the way). I decided against release on the grounds;

a) Id have to support it which I cant commit the time to

b) Im desperately trying to finish the Dafuge challenge before FM10 comes out

Dont know what FM10 has in store- but if its xml based and the same structure still lingers around, no doubt Ill have a tinker and see what I can release after the demo is released :thup:

• 2 weeks later...
Glad people are still using it.. especially the old timers like yourself Swahn :)

Thanks mate ;-)

I have helped 3 friends to instal it. Surprizingly the panels dosent show for one of my mates, even though we did the exact same procedure.

have you made a FAQ somewhere, we can try out?

- David Swahn

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bumping this (apologies) because Im looking for a couple more testers before release. There are some big panel changes so I could do with a bit more road testing before general release (and I think my last post my have been before the purge).

Its about 85% complete at present- so if you're interested, drop me a PM.

Cheers

Surf

Archived