Fm09 - too hard?

I think FM is really hard this year. I usually play with Arsenal and havent done very well at all on my long term game this year. Tried out lower league stuff with Hyde and really struggling despite "cheating" by using FM scout to snap up some really good CA'd free transfers. Is it tactics? Training? Anyone wanna help me out? Why cant I do well on this game?!

Odd, I've found it much better as in 08 it didn't seem to allow sustained runs of good results making table topping a near impossibility whereas this year has been fine. And I haven't changed my approach much.

http://community.sigames.com/search.php?searchid=1337646

You're not alone. I just did a search for the words "too hard" and it threw up the above results. If you can't read them just do the search yourself. There may be some useful info in there, or a trip to the tactics and training forum may help.

Yes, it's harder than other versions, but most people seem to think it's better for it.

Good luck.

I have had extraordinary success with Barcelona and I use the same formation and tactics home and away. However, if I am losing then I have a prepared all-out attack formation and it usually works. You just need to make sure you have great players in every position.

hmmm well any tactical tips would be great - at the moment im getting a bit bored of FM because i cant seem to do well. With Arsenal, it was one Prem title, but otherwise a lot of 4th placed finishes, and then a fairly rapid decline to mid-table obscurity when the players started to drop off as they got older from about 2012 onwards. And Hyde cant win a game for love nor money.

Best thing you can do mate is read the tatic theory and framework guide. It's available in the tatics forum.

It doesn't give you a 'cut and paste' solution but allows you to understand the mechanics of the match engine. It really is worth spending a bit of time reading. It gives you alot more faith in the match engine and when implemented the results are clear to see.

Can't recommend it enough tbh.

Does anyone know how to upload a game? Perhaps people could have a look at my game and work out what im doing so wrong?

upload the save file to filefront, i'll have a look at it for you if you want

Since i read about the motivation/morale guide to teamtalks i have been on fire in League 2 with a pretty normal squad.

Suggesting that morale and motivation are key in good results seems like an adequate real life suggestion for me, so thats my tip

The game is too hard if you're going wrong somewhere because the game doesn't make it obvious where you're going wrong and there isn't any real indication. I mean if you see a world class striker get one on one with the keeper four or five times in a game and he messes them all up, there is no indication as to why.

Overall though, once you get it sorted this game is quite easy.

At first I thought it was too hard but eventually you get it. All I can say is to learn from your mistakes in the game and I recommend learning your teams strengths and playing to them. As soon as you learn how to motivate your team and play to their strengths, there is not much of a problem

so what was i doing so wrong? tactics/

Its hard to tell. I stay sticking with Arsenal for a while. Don't buy too many players at once, play lots of friendlies to get to know how your team play, If players arn't playing well don't be afraid to replace them and always have back-up players incase key stars get injuried.

Just be patient and learn from your mistakes

Ive built a near perfect newcastle side and for the last 4 or 5 season have used the same formation home and away, i even use it for my england team.

That said, i have noticed one tactic which seems to stop mine, but interestingly, whenever the other team plays it, my team still get in, they just miss every single chance, coincidence?

I want it to get harder in terms of a long career game. Im in 2019 and only a few clubs are realistically strengthening their squads to world class potential. The big four are pretty pathetic, Man Utd look terrible with only aging Tevez and Rooney doing anything. Just a greater AI for clubs to buy and nurture players would be great for long term games.

I was finding it too hard aswel, thinking the game relies far too much on small tactical decisions, which may be true.

But I realised I was over-complicating my tactics, so I decided to start from scratch and build new tactics, trying to keep them as straight forward as possible. It's working great.

Don't become obsessed with moving the sliders either!

I agree totally with Ryknow too

That tactic looks super-complicated SamAllen! Surely it takes like a day to play each match!!

nah it's not that complicated:):thup: I just had to give it a different name as I don't like it.

Anyway, I've managed to get you out the relegation zone and just won against Harrogate 7-1:eek: and the injured players are back so it's nearly sorted for you, will upload it soon.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2531/yayyy.png

EDIT: I might have to upload it tomorrow as my internet is being a bit funny

Hmm - seriously though, ive got some really decent players - not league winning standard but decent, and i literally havent won a game - my current record is P15 W0 D5 L10!!!

Ouch!, thats bad.

I have followed the T&TF thread "Heathxxx's Management Approech, Lower League edition". You need sound tactics but using wwfan's T&TF thread and a 442 created from it I was winning every match as Altrincham. I would try it if I were you, start again as a "test" game. If you follow Heath exactly you WILL win the League and that should give you back the confidence to experiment on your own.

To respond directly to your question, some say it is hard some say it is easy. I feel it is tactics heavy but with the wwfan guide you can easily meet Board expectations but dont expect to win every match.

They way I restored my faith in the game was to set up several different Team games and to just play 1 or 2 matches, you should find you are relatively successful in these. It seems that the more matches played & tactical manouvering the game detects from you (and you will have to mix things up at most levels) the more cute the AI becomes. ..though this may be paranoia!

I think FM is really hard this year. I usually play with Arsenal and havent done very well at all on my long term game this year. Tried out lower league stuff with Hyde and really struggling despite "cheating" by using FM scout to snap up some really good CA'd free transfers. Is it tactics? Training? Anyone wanna help me out? Why cant I do well on this game?!

Luke, if you want to salvage the Hyde game search for my Muppet Management Posts - the ideas in there should improve things by maybe 1 goal per match which could make a difference in the end.

Right, here it is: http://files.filefront.com/Hydefm/;13792432;/fileinfo.html

I'll give you some advice for matchdays too.

For team talks:

Pre-match - 'none' (unless rivals, in which case use 'for the fans')

Half time - 'none' (unless playing really bad (below 5.0), then say disappointed)

Post match - Regardless of the result say pleased if they get above 5 for their rating. If they have above 8 use delighted.

That's the best way to keep morale high.

Opposition instructions:

ST - show to weaker foot, tackle hard

Wingers - show to weaker foot

DM (if any) - close down often.

And your defense is a bit slow so you might want to lower the defensive line in the tactics to about middle or a notch below when coming up against faster strikers.

That's what I find most effective anyway.

Good luck:thup:

Ta. Will check that out now. There are a lot of free T's around who can improve the average CA/PA of my squad at the moment - how many should i be looking to snap up and with what regularity? Obviously I want to try to improve my squad so i can move up the leagues slowly (and yes i know its a bit of a cheat but I need the help!), but whats the best balance between this and trying not to stop the squad gelling properly? Also, what do you make of my training schedules?

Incidentally, before you sent that back, I started using some of the advice from the TT&F frameworks - using 4-4-2 variants from the Role Theory set. Only played one game but got absolutely hammered!! Cant work out what I could have done wrong?!

Ta. Will check that out now. There are a lot of free T's around who can improve the average CA/PA of my squad at the moment - how many should i be looking to snap up and with what regularity? Obviously I want to try to improve my squad so i can move up the leagues slowly (and yes i know its a bit of a cheat but I need the help!), but whats the best balance between this and trying not to stop the squad gelling properly? Also, what do you make of my training schedules?

Well, tbh I took a lot of them off the training schedules and put them back on general. This is because, whilst you were training the defenders to defend intensively, the full back had no set pieces training. Set pieces training not only does set pieces it also does crossing which is fairly important for full backs. I would advise putting them all back onto the general training for now, whilst you are semi-pro. That'd probably be best becuase as you say, you'll be moving up the leagues soon and will be wanting rid of your current crop of players so training isn't that important for now. When you do eventually reach professional status and your players have profesional contracts I would reccomend these schedules: http://www.freewebs.com/tugstraining/training/2009/index.html.

As for getting players, I would suggest getting players in on loan from the championship reserves teams for the lowest % wages possible. This is how I got my team from the BSN up and into pro football. Frees are also very useful, however, you will be paying them full wages. Your finances aren't the best are they? but I wouldn't worry about that atm. Wait till the end of the season to sort that out.

I also got you Barnsley as a parent club. So you can get players on loan from them for no fee or wages:thup:

Hmm - SamAllen - i want to use the 442 formation and tactics i've created using TT&F - perhaps I could send you the .TAC file and you could work out whether the one i have would work with my players? Didnt occur to me that would be so important....

Ah just seen your new message. Have downloaded those schedules and will use them, but for now they're all on General (P/T mostly). Cheers for the Barnsley thing - should be useful. And cant believe i didnt think of using loan signings more often! Any tips on sorting out finances at the end of the season? I would assume we're planning for another BSN season (though it did occur to me, what happens if you get 'relegated' from the BSN? Does the game crash?)

Ah just seen your new message. Have downloaded those schedules and will use them, but for now they're all on General (P/T mostly). Cheers for the Barnsley thing - should be useful. And cant believe i didnt think of using loan signings more often! Any tips on sorting out finances at the end of the season? I would assume we're planning for another BSN season (though it did occur to me, what happens if you get 'relegated' from the BSN? Does the game crash?)

Yes, you should hope to have another season of BSN

you just get fired if you get relegated:D

Just a simple tactic set. Designed using my Arsenal team (which is in 2016 and really struggling!), but seems to be fairly generic to me. I dont want to spend hours and hours designing these every time my team changes a bit!!

http://files.filefront.com/ATTACKING+442+TO+USE+Arse6tac/;13792817;/fileinfo.html

http://files.filefront.com/DEFENSIVE+442+TO+USE+Arse6tac/;13792821;/fileinfo.html

http://files.filefront.com/STANDARD+442+TO+USE+Arsen6tac/;13792822;/fileinfo.html

I've downloaded them. I'm presuming that you start most matches with standard, easier matches with attacking and hard ones away from home with defensive?

Edit: And about finances - yes, you're pretty much spot on with that. I'd release any players rated 3 stars or lower. That'll free up a lot for some quality free transfers and loans.

Archived