Patch 8.0.1. Shots to Goal Ratio not fixed - SHOCKING!! SI Please answer - believe to be related to Closing down and Long shots bug

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">one on ones aren't good chances in the game, I rate them as lower than freekicks and corners now. I've changed my style of play completely from narrow, slow passing game through the middle to wide slow temp, direct passing with players making all kinds of over-lapping runs out wide,this results in many crosses which result in a decent goal return with decent strikers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really is a sad state of affairs when we consider freekicks and corners a better chance than a fast world class striker running 1 vs 1 at a mediocre keeper.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by starry:

Can anyone post me a link for the first beta patch? Rapidshare don't work for me. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://rapidshare.com/files/72540417/fm2008_801_beta1patch.exe

it works, just click free (download), not premium...if not I'm sure you will find it on google....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The thing is though, don't they have their own pkms to test? Don't they encounter these two problems when they play the game, so as to test their own pkms too? Are their games playing normally? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have this problem for instance and I normally have a reasonable number of shots, so it must be something in your tactical instructions that creates this problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoGa70:

I don't have this problem for instance and I normally have a reasonable number of shots, so it must be something in your tactical instructions that creates this problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You just don't get it, don't you?

What's reasonable to you?

Even if you order your team an all-out offensive tactic, you should't have 50 shots on goal in a 90 minutes game simply because professional modern football doesn't work this way. Modern teams know how to defend even if/ when they are attacking: if you attack, the total number of shots on goal of the other team should drop non raise.

You understand now?

I have nothing to add here, I have my own weird problems with this game which make me very frustrated because I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. So I'd like to ask that is anyone actually aware of why these things are happening? Has someone seen some kind of answer from SI that states why the shots go 30-1 and still the less shooting team wins 0-2? Is it intentional? Do they know themselves why it is happening? Surely it shouldn't be cause of tactics, but I can't think of a more "logical" way to influence to the matches and their outcomes. Because while it's completely realistic happening occasionally, it shouldn't be happening in each match, ALTHOUGH you'd have wrong tactics. Does somebody have any real clue about this issue?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoGa70:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The thing is though, don't they have their own pkms to test? Don't they encounter these two problems when they play the game, so as to test their own pkms too? Are their games playing normally? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have this problem for instance and I normally have a reasonable number of shots, so it must be something in your tactical instructions that creates this problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since when has it been a problem to create 10-15 clearcut one on ones in a match?

I'm too frustrated to offer any truly cutting insights, but I'm just sick and tired of what's happening in this game.

Every match I get chance after chance after chance. And all I ever see is some of the world's best strikers miss chance after chance. Thierry Henry, one on one with a keeper? Never gonna score. Eto'o, 5 yards out, keeper out of position? Nah, he'll miss. How in the name of Christ could that ever happen? Maybe there's the one off mistake, but consistent failure to score?

Another thing, unrelated probably, why won't my tactics from FM 07 work? What has changed that makes a once successful tactic useless. Maybe SI could try and explain to us what each of those little bars does, because I can't see how we're meant to enjoy this game.

I normally love FM, but really, this is just sh*t. It's a buggy, stupid excuse for a game, and not a worthy successor to what went before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scath:

I'm too frustrated to offer any truly cutting insights, but I'm just sick and tired of what's happening in this game.

Every match I get chance after chance after chance. And all I ever see is some of the world's best strikers miss chance after chance. Thierry Henry, one on one with a keeper? Never gonna score. Eto'o, 5 yards out, keeper out of position? Nah, he'll miss. How in the name of Christ could that ever happen? Maybe there's the one off mistake, but consistent failure to score?

Another thing, unrelated probably, why won't my tactics from FM 07 work? What has changed that makes a once successful tactic useless. Maybe SI could try and explain to us what each of those little bars does, because I can't see how we're meant to enjoy this game.

I normally love FM, but really, this is just sh*t. It's a buggy, stupid excuse for a game, and not a worthy successor to what went before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've always thought that there is a communication problem inside the game. I don't want to think that it decides beforehand what happens in game but it seems there's something like breakdown in choosing tactics and some other things. Like you choose a tactic which produces many good chances but ther's something what makes the game think you shouldn't score that much. Then it blocks stupidly your attempts as it tries to get the outcome based on every other thing there is. But I think then if you shouldn't score, you shouldn't be producing chances where to score from. I don't see this any different as a racing game in which AI drivers go 400 km/h if if suits them just that it would be challenging and not too easy for you. Why to allow you to be so good then if you're gonna fail anyways?

icon_rolleyes.gif

I think the problem is in sigames lack of intelligence when it comes to understanding the nature of football and tactical play, remember, sigames develop software for computers, there tactical knowledge of football is no better than anybody who posts on here, irregardless of how they think they might understand it, there is simply a huge paradox in a poor tactic being so dominant in everything regarding gameplay apart from actually scoring goals, it doesnt make any sense for sigames to blame your tactics when you continually dominate games and yet either always draw or lose when you have those stupid lulls were it seems impossible to actually score, id rather sigames took more emphasis on technique and passing ability rather than seeming to envelope the whole conceppt of the game in a series of slider bars that dictate styles of play, when in reality, the players in a team and there style will dictate that

icon_rolleyes.gif

To expand on that a little, when you do dominate the games to that extent, it always seems to be an utterly stupid error that gives the opposition there solitary attack of the game from which they 99 times out of a 100 score irregardless of there finishing etc, now what has tactics got to do with your defenders for instance just passing the ball straight to the centre forward for no reason to just score, the amount of times the central defenders have the ball then just pass it to the opposition strikers is comical

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pangalaticgargleblaster:

icon_rolleyes.gif

I think the problem is in sigames lack of intelligence when it comes to understanding the nature of football and tactical play, remember, sigames develop software for computers, there tactical knowledge of football is no better than anybody who posts on here, irregardless of how they think they might understand it, there is simply a huge paradox in a poor tactic being so dominant in everything regarding gameplay apart from actually scoring goals, it doesnt make any sense for sigames to blame your tactics when you continually dominate games and yet either always draw or lose when you have those stupid lulls were it seems impossible to actually score, id rather sigames took more emphasis on technique and passing ability rather than seeming to envelope the whole conceppt of the game in a series of slider bars that dictate styles of play, when in reality, the players in a team and there style will dictate that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To SI defence, I've yet to see that they would blame gamers and be arrogant. They are very polite and mature in their replies. I won't decline their knowledge of football, but I think that there's is, ahem, a certain problem in English football people. I hope I won't get butchered here but (I'm exaggerating) everybody seems to have an opinnion about football and nobody seems to be wrong ever (some national value I guess). I'd like to test people's understanding of knowledge, at least when I see so many blaming ie top league managers and players.

I'd like to see less emphasis put on tactics (or actually could more tactics be made to be better? I isn't that simple that one tactic counters one and another an other one...), which is actually a very little amount of playing compared to what each player can do and will do. "Wrong" tactics don't make strikers miss easy chances and GKs to blunder. You can't win or lose a game because of a tactic. It's always up to players to perform. Maybe a manager could decide players' motivation or see some good ways to play against some team, but it all depends on the players.

I just lost 1-0 in a game where the opposition was in my HALF 2 times. **** that noise. I HATE the games where you are favorite at home and the other team come for a draw but 'luckily' score a goal in the 23rd minute and then the match plays out as a boring 0-0 for the remainder, sure you can change your tactics (in this case from a 4-3-1-2 to a 5-3-2 with ALL settings changed) and sure you'll make a couple of chances, but like hell will you actually score. icon_mad.gif

Addendum: their keeper got a 8, I had only 1 one on one (saved) but 3 chances from crosses with free headers that he superbly saved. Every time I was attacking we were ripping them to pieces overloading their defence every time, BUT the time between highlights (key) was roughly 15 minutes,how can I destroy them every time I see a highlight but for 15minutes in between nothing happens?????( I had 65% possession which is just stupid).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Since when has it been a problem to create 10-15 clearcut one on ones in a match? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a problem with a match engine quite simply, unless it's ManU against Ebbsfleet or smth like that.

I play whit Man Utd and if I look at one om my seasons (38 games).

If I compare all 38 games i get the folowing:

Man utd: 765 Shots on goal, 446 on target, 319 off target and 73 goals.

Pr. goal: 10.5 shots and 6,1 shots on target.

Opponents: 362 Shots on goal, 177 on target, 185 off target and 34 goals.

Pr. goal: 10,6 shots and 5,2 shots on target.

Almost the same.. But i I only look at all the games where I or the opponent have scored, i get a bigger difference:

Man Utd: 627 Shots on goal, 375 on target, 352 off target and 73 goals.

Pr. goal: 8,6 shots and 5,1 shots on target.

Opponents: 2177 Shots on goal, 124 on target, 93 off target and 34 goals.

Pr. goal: 6,4 shots and 3,6 shots on target.

So the opponents dont need as many shots on target to get one goals as I do.

has anyone given a reason as to why this happens yet? or a way of me fixing it. ive got rodrigo palacio and obafemi martins playing up front for me in my newcaslte game, and whislt i do overall score a lot of goals (80-100 in the league) i can kill a team with my shots but simply not score.

Why cant martins and palacio score the 5-8 one on ones they have a game?? icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joor:

What I really hate is that the AI knows how to get strikers to perform and not miss 5 out of 6 one on ones.

So there must be some tactical way for us to make our striker stop wasting those easy sitters right?

I just cant find it atm. Did a quick test in the semi final vs man utd, and im milan - very even in match odds before the game. I played the game 10 times, and man utd won every single one of them icon_frown.gif

4-0 4-1 5-1 3-1 2-1 1-0 3-1 5-1 4-1 and 2-0. I tried all media comments and all teamtalk variations before match, but we still cant win - even tho on average we have 15 sot or more(slow tempo or fast it doesnt matter).

Wide formation, narrow, high creative freedom or low..mixed mentality, high or low. Deep defensive line..man marking key players..nothing worked - man utd still won. And its funny, it was either Tevez or Rooney who always got MoM. 1 chance 1 goals..maybe 2:1. Most of the games Utd didnt even have more than 10 SOT.

Im frustrated right now icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Joor...I like reading ur posts coz I play with Milan too. I have this same issue too. I play 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-2-1 with Milan so not much of a wide tactic. Man u will play 4-4-2 with 4 strikers in my home and yet sneak a 2-1 win. Then I did allowed my ass man to play...and he managed a 1-0 win always with a 4-4-2 formation playin reserve players like Brocchi in midfield and maldini in LB (maldini against ronaldo!!!!)

but i think the lesson is that he played defensive counter attacking against my natural flair based attacking football. Also with 4-4-2 it may be easier with the additional width.

But in the away match when i played like that.. man u ripped me up..so more things needs to be fixed icon_frown.gif

Just for those thinking about going back to the beta patch, I did it to see what would happen, and whilst the match engine is better, all your player stats go down immediately for some reason, and the game runs a hell of a lot slower. So no silver bullet icon_frown.gif

I think we were used to winning almost every match in FM 2007 that it has turned into a fantasy.

For FM 2008 its very realistic. You can have world class strikers and still fail to score. Not only tactically defeated but also the team morale and conditions.

Good example: Bolton Vs Man Utd

Shots (on Goal)

Bolton / Man Utd

6(5) / 15(3)

But Bolton won 1-0 despite attacks from Man Utd.

And recently, Liverpool, lost to Reading 1-3 playing with the strongest squad.

I think the game is still good although it is frustrating when you get ridiculous shots on target but still cant score but it CAN happen in real life. So it can happen in FM 2008.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FM Underground:

I think we were used to winning almost every match in FM 2007 that it has turned into a fantasy.

For FM 2008 its very realistic. You can have world class strikers and still fail to score. Not only tactically defeated but also the team morale and conditions.

Good example: Bolton Vs Man Utd

Shots (on Goal)

Bolton / Man Utd

6(5) / 15(3)

But Bolton won 1-0 despite attacks from Man Utd.

And recently, Liverpool, lost to Reading 1-3 playing with the strongest squad.

I think the game is still good although it is frustrating when you get ridiculous shots on target but still cant score but it CAN happen in real life. So it can happen in FM 2008. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, you really have no idea what is being talked about here, do you? You gave two real life examples to counter the tens of matches where the shots/goals ratio problem is happening in FM08. Two examples, and one of them had ManU with 15 shots on goals, not 30!!! And not in all the games! Are you 10 or something or unable to grasp what is being discussed here?

What's to expect though from a person who has a nickname like "FM Underground?"

fm underground, you seem to miss the point.

no one is disputing that it CAN happen in real life, therefore it should happen in fm08.

in real life, these things however only happen rarely at best, or else there would be no impact etc. in fm08, it is such a frequent occurrence, that there is no surprise, only annoyance.

i feel annoyed even when my team wins, scoring 3 out of 18 shots (several just 1 vs 1's and tap-ins gone astray (world class players), while the other team scores 1 out of 2 shots (on target).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feltus:

Agrees with Fred.

Almost every game I have like 3-4 times more shots than my opponent, and I aint winning, thats for sure..

Seem to have this problem only when im playing attacking football with quick tempo..

Anyone else who can confirm the same?

Feltus </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can confirm this, both from FM06, FM07 and FM08. I can do so because that is how the game is supposed to work. When you play an attacking and fast game your players will try to finish as much as they can. This results in loads of shots on goal but often low quality chances resulting in a low number of scores. If the opponent has a bad keeper you might be able to get more of the bad quality chances behind the net. With a low tempo and less attacking game you will have much less chances but those you get will be of good quality as the players tries to play the ball until they are sure to score.

Amazing that this is discussed as a bug when it has worked like this for the last 3 FM games at least. For those who want to master this kind of game, you should look at some of the many threads in the tactics forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mygel:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feltus:

Agrees with Fred.

Almost every game I have like 3-4 times more shots than my opponent, and I aint winning, thats for sure..

Seem to have this problem only when im playing attacking football with quick tempo..

I can confirm this, both from FM06, FM07 and FM08. I can do so because that is how the game is supposed to work. When you play an attacking and fast game your players will try to finish as much as they can. This results in loads of shots on goal but often low quality chances resulting in a low number of scores. If the opponent has a bad keeper you might be able to get more of the bad quality chances behind the net. With a low tempo and less attacking game you will have much less chances but those you get will be of good quality as the players tries to play the ball until they are sure to score.

Amazing that this is discussed as a bug when it has worked like this for the last 3 FM games at least. For those who want to master this kind of game, you should look at some of the many threads in the tactics forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not true for me in fm07 and 08. For instantce in 08 I play normal tempo, normal passing and my strikers' mentality away are set to 4(RoO,team mentality normal). I still have an average of 25 shots in total, 1/2 on target, 1/2 not. This is so no matter which team I am, Chinese clubs, Ivory Coast, Werder Bremen or Roma.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mygel:

Amazing that this is discussed as a bug when it has worked like this for the last 3 FM games at least. For those who want to master this kind of game, you should look at some of the many threads in the tactics forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bad quality chances??? Are you referring to 1 on 1s???? Dear lord.

Yes, it has been around of ages and I have stated this problem years before! Did anyone listen? Of course not. We just had the usual idiotic comments like yours, to "check out the tactics forum".

I have never heard of a manager though that his team creates 30 shots, 15 shots on goals and 7 1 on 1s in a game ever needing tactical advice.

Si... What are you doing to these people? Have you hypnotized them or something? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WoIfsong:

Agrees with Fred.

This is not true for me in fm07 and 08. For instantce in 08 I play normal tempo, normal passing and my strikers' mentality away are set to 4(RoO,team mentality normal). I still have an average of 25 shots in total, 1/2 on target, 1/2 not. This is so no matter which team I am, Chinese clubs, Ivory Coast, Werder Bremen or Roma. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strikers mentality at 4?? Won't that mean that they will stay further down and then just throw away the ball on the keeper from less favourable distances??

I have never had any problem with this. In fact I use it to my advantage when I decide which tactic to play after reading the scout report of the opponent.

For me it is therefore weird that people have such problem with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can you use it to your advantage when you had never had a problem with it?

Strikers mentality at 4?? Won't that mean that they will stay further down and then just throw away the ball on the keeper from less favourable distances?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You misread what he wrote with your fanboyish glasses.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lyvean:

I have never had any problem with this. In fact I use it to my advantage when I decide which tactic to play after reading the scout report of the opponent.

For me it is therefore weird that people have such problem with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I can not play on high tempo and with attacking mentality every game. But when I meet a team that plays defensive and tends to park teh bus in front of own goal it is better to get many shots, although bad shots, than wasting the whole game trying to pass around the meat wall.

I do not know how I misread the post above. Please enlighten me.

Seriously, I do not see the problem here. I have played the game for a long time, both FM07 and FM08 and never experienced anything that would make me upset on this issue. I took my time and learnt how the tactics works by reading the tactic forum and thereafter I know how to master the game.

How can you use it to your advantage when you had never had a problem with it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When people create 15 shots on goal, with 5-7 one on ones in more than half their games, I believe that they have no need to master the game because they have already done it. So, move on please and come back when you have some idea -at least- of what we are talking about.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lyvean:

When people create 15 shots on goal, with 5-7 one on ones in more than half their games, I believe that they have no need to master the game because they have already done it. So, move on please and come back when you have some idea -at least- of what we are talking about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 5 - 7 ones on goal does not necessary need to be good chances just because they are on goal.

That's strange as my high tempo attacking tactic in FM'06 scored a tonne of goals and that certainly wasn't with world class players... My strikers also seemed to be able to score one on ones in that game.

The 5 - 7 ones on goal does not necessary need to be good chances just because they are on goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_eek.gif

My last matches

Newcastle 0 - 1 Liverpool

Shots 10

SoT 8

Poss 51%

Bolton 0 -2 Liverpool

Shots 12

SoT 8

Poss 56%

Liverpool 3 -1 Shaktar

Shots 14

SoT 10

Poss 49%

Liverpool 4 - 0 Tottenham

Shots 17

SoT 11

Poss 49%

Make of that what you will. I've had no superkeepers to suffer altho Shay Given is overrated in general - the game ignores the fact that he's 3'2". :-)

I'm slotting one on ones in reasonably well too. Not sure why, I've had the same one on ones problem but confidence has played a big part in resolving it.

Strikers mentality at 4?? Won't that mean that they will stay further down and then just throw away the ball on the keeper from less favourable distances?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously you have not read Wwfan's Rule of One tactics icon_smile.gif

Mentality does not work as assumed by many people. Strikers stay in their positions, play normally and score a lot even at mentality 4, because the team's mentalities are GK 0, DC 1, FB 2 and MC 3.

I have won 269 out the 373 matches I played so far using this tactics,including winning the 2010 world cup with Ivory Coast, so there is no need to doubt the effectiveness of this tactics or the low mentality of strikers.

What I was getting at was that shots to goal ratio is indeed problematic and it is unrelated to mentality and tempo of your tactics.

Archived