The Scottish Clan

Rosco Van Nistelrooy

HES FAE THE ISLE OF MAN , HES GONNAE GET THE DAN , MCGUINNESS , MCGUINNESS

Albion Rovers announced their new manager this week would be unknown rookie Stevie McGuinness. Despite his lack of managerial skill, and his CV listing only his achievements in an online football management game, the chairman claims to have every faith in him, and has not hired him simply because hes agreed to work for free so he can be associated with a team in Red and Yellow.

"Im honoured to be here at Firhill .... er , Cliftonhill , surrounded by so many talented players with a desire to play in Red and Yellow". Whether this was a reference to the fact his current squad is committed to the cause , or the fact he has multiple players who used to play for Partick Thistle has not yet been ascertained. One thing is certain though , early season results have not gone his way .....

Albion "Partick Thistle Reserves" Rovers 5 - 0 Stenhousemuir

The season opens with a challenge cup first round match, and Thistle ... erm , i mean Rovers , destroy the opposition with some maginificent wingplay from Jered Stirling. 3 assists and a penalty sees him walk off with man of the match , and Rovers are off to a flier.

Albion Thistle ... erm , Rovers 0 - 0 Peterhead

Next up are Alex Holligans mighty 'shire. Despite being kicked off the park , and having 15 shots on goal , Rovers manage only 2 on target, and have to settle for a point.

Gretna 4 - 1 Partick ...erm , Albion Rovers

The league newcomers are fortunate enough to find Rovers on an offday , with 3 key players out injured , and proceed to walk through the defence (with an average age if 18) at leisure. Major improvements must be made if the honor of the Wee Rovers is to be maintained this season.

Queen Of The South 1 - 0 Albion Rovers

Rovers fail once again to achieve the lofty heights of the 3rd round of the Challenge Cup , falling to a single goal defeat at the hands of the Doonhamers.

With a huge underspend on wages, and the club having yet to sign anyone (though not through lack of effort .... i mean , Coatbridge is a wonderful place to live , right?) , the Rovers have the potential to make inroads into the top end of the league , but only time will tell if Boss McGuinness can get the right people in at the right price.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone had said that Peterhead would be second in the league after 3 games with no defeats and had successfully navigated passed the first two rounds of the challenge cup, i would have told you to go boil yer heid.

Peterhead had an average squad and a midtable aspiration. After the first 5 games and being able to suss out the weaknesses and strengths of the squad, I feel that we could really push the favourites Morton and Stirling all the way.

Our First game was home to Rosco's East Stirling side. Its seems apparant that the shire are one of the weakest teams in the Scottish League, this was founded as they were brushed aside easily 3-0, new signing Jupp leading the way with a commanding header straight from a corner. I reckon Rosco has his work cut out there, but such is life in the Scots Clan Game, I dont think he will be the first manager to get the sack such is the experience of the Shire gaffer.

Next up came a hard away tie to 2nd Div Berwick in the first round of the Challenge cup, a tough game resulted in the Blue toon scoring a last minute winner, 1-0 to Peterhead being the final score.

Albion Rovers away in the Scots 3rd, Stevie Bod has a squad of young talent and Peterhead were lucky in securing a 0-0 draw, with Albion squandering numerous chances. The Albion Gaffer is prone to the odd exaggeration tho, no gaffer has taken 15 shots off the dogmeister ever lol, try 7 stevie icon_wink.gif Think you will find that a bit more accurate. Peterhead were still outplayed tho icon_frown.gif

East Fife came to Balmoor next in the 2nd round of the challenge cup. A onesided game saw the Blue Toon rue bad finishing and struggle to break down a resilent Fife defence. However a smart tactical switch by the Dogs saw 2 goals within 2 mins in extra time to put the brave bayview mob finally to the sword 2-0.

Stirling at home was the final game of the session. A 3-1 victory was highly merited by a peterhead outfit who totally outplayed and outshot the Stirling Superstars. Leading 2-0 and in control of the game the blue toon backline were too busy showboating with the ball , 24 passes i counted before a lapse in concentration by big Raeside who was on his 7th keepy - uppy on the line let in young Stirling forward Nicholas to knee the ball in the open net. It was only a wee lapse tho as this goal just seemed to **** off the PeterHead team who simply rasied their game again and scored a quick 3rd. The Scoreline flattered Stirling really icon_wink.gif reminded me of a game between Leeds and Southhampton in the early seventies icon_razz.gif

Overall the atmosphere in the Clan Game is great, the enthusiasm of all the players, the new blood mixed with the old has provided a Clan game which is full of fun and enjoyment icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Dogs on 19 May 2003 at 18:08.]

Mixed Night For Gable Endies

Montrose 0 Queens Park 0

This game was a tight affair with Montrose having most of the possecion and seemingly not knowing what to do with it. We are still short of a goal threat and the season may see more draws than wins. This will no doubt bring out the usual chants of Boring Boring Boring.

Arbroath 1 Montrose 0

Well what a load of B*****ks out classed By a shoal of kippers, less said the better.

East Fife 3 Montrose 0

Played off the park again this job looks harder and harder by the match, had lots of possession but again no goals or penetration, and with a transfer budget of £4K the future looks bleak,

Montrose 3 East Stirling 0

Glory days return for Montrose as they out class a Pishy East Stiriling team with 10 men. Looks like your days are numbered rosco. We are not Boring, We are not Boring.

Problem has been solved lads

The original game has been saved.

We are starting from the beginning of monday nights save. So wipe monday from your life icon_smile.gif

I'll see Elgin on thursday icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Good stuff, Glad i didn't miss much in the end up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too busy eating ice-cream last night to play? icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harry Rag:

Good show gents,

This gives me ANOTHER chance to try and knock St. Mirren out of the cup icon_smile.gif

Al<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im putting my money on a 2-0 victory for the saints icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Good stuff, Glad i didn't miss much in the end up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might wanna be a hour late Gary as your Assistant had the beating of me in round 1 icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jimbhoy:

I won't be online tonight lads, I'm attending a leaving party for one of the lads at work.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Beer \o/

MLC

icon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure they will be greeting @ Gretna on news of your absence Jimbo. Honestly imagine puting Beer before CM, you wanna take a good look at yer sel Hastie icon_biggrin.gif

Nicol's obvious ability rewarded

Despite Ally Shaw being in the final of the Challenge Cup and Pete Abraham having a 100% record in the league the SFA gave the 3rd Divison Manager of the Month for September award to Fifer's Chris Nicol. The SFA made it clear that Nicol had done the best job in the division and had made a superb "steale" in the signing of Steve Kerrigan from Stirling. Fifer's Christopher Edwards picked up the player of the month award and the pair clearly looked like they knew this was the tip of the iceburg and intended on receiving many more of these awards to go with their winners medals.

The session began with a dissapointing home defeat to Gary Toner's pumped up Queens Park side. Garry got his tactics spot on as the East Fife centre backs could simply not cope. Steve Kerrigans debut goal in injury time was too little too late. I decided to change from "The Pyramid" tactic for the game against Elgin as I felt we needed a new tactic and this game against inferior opposition would be a good opportunity to get the players used to it. Elgin had just signed a player with a big name who we shall call "The Icelandic fud". Now the Icelandic fud was causing all sorts of problems and when he cancelled out Kevin Rutkeiwicz' opener I knew something had to be done. The Icelandic fud had his game cut short early in the 2nd half when he was forced to go off injured after a "off the ball incedent" oops. Big Kev (on loan from Aberdeen) got his 2nd of the game which proved to be our winner. We had many chances for more goals in this game but they were not needed.

Now it was a double header against Ross Turpie's East Stirling side in the league but first the League Cup. Turpie could not match (the award winning) Nicol's tactical game and this is what cost him both matches as his side slipped firstly 2-1 with goals from Richard Garcia and then 2-0 after a stupid penalty that was converted by Lee and a first Fifers goal for right back Hall who came in for the injured Allison. The league game had many chances but Garcia had a off day in front of goal and East Stirling's efforts were laughable.

We are now sitting in 5th position and already seem to have defied the bookies who thought we would do well to get 9th. Roll on Albion Rovers who are the next team to travel to fortress New Bayview.

Alasdair Shaw's Programme Notes. Thursday 22nd May 2003

Dear Supporter

After last weeks floodlight failures, we were finally able to play our Challenge Cup 3rd round tie against Div 1 side St. Mirren. New signing David Arbuckle, a hardworking midfielder went straight into the squad. Not surprisingly for such high quality opponents, St. Mirren were a real handfull; but we got off to an excellent start as Nicholas cooly slotted home before Mallan added a second after some madness from Ludovic Roy. We were unlucky not to get a third when Nicholas hit the post and our luck got even worse when St. Mirren were awarded a penalty, which Roberts duely converted. Things got worse when a moment of stupidity from Turner gifted Gillies an equaliser to make it 2-2. I knew it would take something special to find a winner, but Issac English was close to sneaking a win when his shot cannoned off the upright. The moment of pure magic came with a wonder goal from Nicholas, who danced through the St. Mirren midfield and defence before poking the ball home. It was another fantastic win against a first division side, who join Falkirk and Clyde in our conquests.

In the short space between that and our weekend league game, I was able to bring in some new faces to the club. Joining us on free transfers are attackers Neal Clague, whose physique has greatly impressed, and Adam Parker, while Douglas Chalmers and Adam Burgess will add depth to our defence. Young Gavin Chadbone, a defensive midfielder, joins our reserve side but will undoubtely be looking to break into the first team before too long. I'm happy enough now with the squad and feel that we have sufficiant quality to ensure that we'll be challenging at the end of the season.

Steve Kerrigan, has moved on in a deal with East Fife and we wish him the best of luck with his new team.

Sadly, Jim Hastie was unavailalbe for our next game against Gretna, a match which proved to be a superb blooding for some of our new players. Indeed, it took Clague just 12 seconds to open his account as he raced onto a long ball to slip the ball past the Gretna keeper. Nicholas, has been in fine form recently and he soon bagged his 6th goal in as many games to make it 2-0. I'm also delighted to reveal that the promising attacker has signed a new deal, so we should be seeing much more of him in the future. A 30yard screamer from Holloway saw the youngster bag his first goal for the club in spectaculat style, while Clague finished with class to make the score 4-0. Nicholas had another goal chopped off for offside before a Mallan tap in made it 5-0. And there was still time to get the ball in the net again, but Clague's hopes of a debut hat trick were denied by the linesmans flag.

We were hoping to continue this good form at our trip to Montrose, with Jeff Duke being held up in traffic and unable to make the game. I have to hold my hands up and confess that I got my tactics for the match all wrong, resting Nicholas for our midweek game and shoring up the midfield at his expense. Scott was injured with a hamstring problem and I felt that another player in the middle of the park could pin back Montrose. Unfortunatly, my gamble failed, but we were unlucky to go down 1-0, with Ifil scoring from the spot on the stroke of halt time.

I was determined to put things right in out Challenge Cup Semi-Final match with Ayr. With Mallan suspended, the bookies had us down for odds of 4to1 and I sent one of the youth players down to the bookies to shove a tenner on us. Not a bad move as it turned out, as Clague's goal from a corner gave us a deserved victory and booked our place in the final with St. Johnstone. The win was another fantastic victory over top quality opponents.

Another big game came just a week later, as Ross County came visiting for the League Cup 1st Round. With odds of 3-1, I took my £40 winnings and shoved then on us again. However I never in my wildest dreams could have predicted the result.

The match was a truely historic event, with Mallan's hat trick, Clague's four goals and an amazing goal from inside our half by Wright giving us an 8-0 win. The goals we scored were brilliant team goals with the exception of Wright's who still maintains that he intented to score from over 60 yards. I cant even say the scoreline flattered us because it could have been 15-0. It really was a bizarre game. With my £120 back from the bookies, I was able to shout the players a drink in celebration of another win over first division opponents. The next round sees us travel to Easter Road for a clash with Hibs. Not surprisingly, I'll be sticking another fiver on us for that one.

League leaders Morton have been in irrestistable form so far, winning all five of their league games. So it was with some caution that I approached our league encounter with them. Clague gave me a real headache by squandering a host of early chances and I could see that Morton's pace could punish us on the counter attack. However the big striker managed to open the scoring with a close range header and Nicholls added a second to seal the victory. It really was another brilliant win, especially as we held a free scoring Morton to just one shot on target. The win also makes the top of the league very interesting indeed as we have a great chance to push further up the table.

Our Cup wins have given the side a real boost, something that I'll be looking to transfer into league points as soon as possible. With your superb support behind us every week, we're hoping the build upon our good start to the season and challenge for the titles which this club deserves.

Enjoy the game

Alasdair Shaw

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by t_i_n_o2001:

Fecking blueyonder....if it aint broke don't fix it god dammit!..............I dropped like a fly last night and spend nearly an hour trying to get back on....unsuccessfully icon_frown.gif

What happened to my boys?!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They got raped again! icon_biggrin.gif

SHIRE IN THE MYRE!

East Stirling are the worst club in Scotland. And guess what, yours truly is now the worst manager also! Even Stevie Bod McGuiness has out performed gaffer Turps and the Shire...... The new dawn at Firs Park promised much, but the light i'm afraid is fading fast,! How East Stirling beat Gretna in the previous session, I will never know. The difficulty in rebuilding and developing the football club was initially never underestimated, but little did gaffer Turps know how frustratingly perplexing a task it would be.The Shire have had a terrible start to the season, and are now lying rock bottom of the Scottish 3rd division after 6 games, withs no clear sign that things are gonna improve.....Its a great challenge though, one that no one else dared to take and as long as the board are patient i'm sure in a year or two there will be a squad built that can compete, now there's a thought..........

Although last nights session was pretty slow, mainly due to the transfer window closing and some amateur net play, some additions were made in an effort to stop the rot. Experience was needed and influential ex Aberdeen and Ross County stalwart Brian Irvine joined the Shire on a free transfer. The 37 year old defender is planning to retire, but for now will be crucial at the heart of the Shire's defence. More veteran steel was signed in midfield, as tough tackling anchorman Peter Grant joined on a free from Bournemouth. The ex Celtic servant would add that little bit of dig to the centre of the park and help organize the kids round about him. A new young keeper agreed to join as well in an effort to halt the goals against. Steven Van Der Deyl agreed a 2 year deal after Dundee terminated his services. Young Scottish keeper Robbie McKillop, defender Euan Graham and Ex Arbroath winger Craig Cooper joined on free transfers. English keeper Liam Bull joined also on a free from Swindon Supermarine, and Morton donated some sloppies to the Shire cause in the form of young forward David Carmichael. Despite some of these vital additions the squad was far from good enough as we are about to find out.

Shire played four games in last nights session and four losses were unfortunately recorded. Tactically the squad was now more robust than in previous games, as the Shire made its victors work really hard for the points. Again poor finishing and bad defending was to blame, but on the whole Shire were unlucky not to get something out the games due to late goals and lack of concentration.

Sat 24.8.02 East Stirling 0 Morton 1

League leaders Morton worked hard for their victory as the Shire dug in and scrapped for every ball. Gary Fiskins late strike in the 83rd minute was the difference. Morton gaffer coisty new he had just had a battle though and if the Shire could fight like this every game then things would soon change in their favour .

Sat 31.8.02 Queens Park 1 East Stirling 0

Another late goal this time by young Angolan U21 Artur Correia in the 86th minute saved Gaffer Toner's blushes as the Shire for once were more deserved of something out the game. poor finishing was to blame as the team tired again in the final stages and lost concentration.

11.9.02 East Stirling 1 East Fife 2 (League Cup 1st round)

Shire keeper Scott Findlay was bruatlly injured in the 2nd half, an incident which would change the game as no substitute keeper was available on the Shire bench. Big Brian Irvine had to don the gloves for the final 20 minutes! unfortunately only to end in disaster as an 88th minute Richard Garcia strike knocked the Shire out of the League Cup.

14.9.02 East Stirling 0 East Fife 2

The double header against Nicol's Fifers was again a big disappointment. A contentious penalty was awarded in the first half, for a blatant dive which gave the Fifers the lead before the interval. More poor finishing and lack of creativity was punished in the 2nd half as a 78th minute Michael Hall strike put the game beyond the Shire and left them precariously placed at the foot of the 3rd division.

After only 6 games in and 3 points won its looking very bleak for the Shire, and avoiding the embarrassment of finishing in last place would now be the aim. With no quality , no money, and no wages to offer, the massive transfer budget of £400 pounds would have to be spent very wisely for any rapid change of fortune to take place at Firs Park. So far the team has been unlucky not to scrape out a few more points and I genuinely believe we are due to gee someone a right dooing! But for now the next game is critical. The Shire are at home to the team also propping up the rear Martin Arthur's Elgin. Nothing short of a victory is expected and getting the Shire heading north is the challenge. Roll on Monday......

reading your report Rosco shows how unlucky the shire have really been, losing 3 of these games due to winners after 80mins. I'm especially impressed with the result against Petes Morton.

Can you give me any tips.

Well Jimmy Nicholl told ALex McLeish at the sports writers dinner on thursday night that Celtic would definately not be winning the SPL on Sunday icon_wink.gif ( that by the way is from a credible source)

Mixed fortunes this session.

First Game against East stirling, looked to be an easier game as they were the division strugglers with manager Ross Turpie trying his best to bring in new faces on a limited budget.

After a Hard fuaght game We managed to pull of a 1-0 victory thanks to a mazey run in the box by Garry Friskin which Maradona would of been proud of.

During the week we managed to sign Carlos Brown to strengthin our defence.

We hosted a tough battle next to Albion Rovers who are never walk overs. But Ton managed to pull of a comfortable win thanks to goals from Prunty and right back Collins.

A trip to Brechin in the first round of the League cup fallowed. Unfortunatly Brechin Cought us on the counter attack twice and Alex Williams was the only scorer for our traveling side.

Stirling beconed and we knew that we would have to Attack if we were to have any chance to the Challenge cup finalists that were ousing with confidance. Due to a very bad performance we lost 2-0.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dogs:

reading your report Rosco shows how unlucky the shire have really been, losing 3 of these games due to winners after 80mins. I'm especially impressed with the result against Petes Morton.

Can you give me any tips. )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye dont tie yer shoelaces together when going through a revolving door icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Well Jimmy Nicholl told ALex McLeish at the sports writers dinner on thursday night that Celtic would definately not be winning the SPL on Sunday icon_wink.gif ( that by the way is from a credible source <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sports writer's dinners was last sunday night! Just shows what your source knows! Also Jimmy Nichol and Martin Oniel are best of buds going back from their 1982 Norther Ireland exploits in Spain 82 icon_confused.gif

Welcome to the second edition of The Spiders Web

Everything started well as we went to New Bayveiw on league business two goals in the space of a minute from McAdam and Gauley were enough to secure the 3 points for us, sour points would be Whittaker getting sent off for a over-elaborate push on East Fife's Lee just before half time and a losing out concentration right at the death to let Kerrigan and East Fife pull one back. Final Score - East Fife 1 - 2 Queens Park.

Good News for Artur Corriea this week after he was called up to the Angolan U21's side, it's a tremoundous honour for Artur and every associated with Queens Park.

League business was back in full swing as Hampden park welcomed the visit of East Stirling and in a very drab and boring affair, it was just fitting that Artur Corriea would get the goal that would seprate the sides. Final Score - Queens Park 1 - 0 East Stirling

With those two league wins under our belts i was quietly confident going into the league cup game against Inverness Caley Thistle, although it proved not to be our night as we were tore apart from some good attacking play at every oppurntity 4 goals from Steven Hislop and singles from Hart and Wyness meant that Caley thistle would run out 6-0 winners

Final Score - Inverness CT 6 - 0 Queens Park

Back to league business, my boys were hurting after that woeful night at the Caledonian Stadium and i felt confident that was behind us and we could continue our fine league form with the visit to Cliftonhill, I hadn't figured on some woeful finishing and deep into ijury time Mackie stepped up for Albion Rovers to seal the points. Final Score - Albion Rovers 1 - 0 Queens Park.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>sour points would be Whittaker getting sent off for a over-elaborate push on East Fife's Lee just before half time _<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

over elaborate push my ass. Thats how poor Lee was rushed to hospital with knife wounds. icon_redface.gif

Fifers were simply to scared to win the game they deserved

Rovers Revival

Yes , after a tanking in the first session or two , Albion Rovers came STORMING back this session to managing only to lose 3 out of the 4 games (and 1 of those was a reverse after a game crash). An unlucky 1-0 home defeat to Montrose (Originally 1-0), was followed by a 2-0 reverse to league leaders and rampant favourites for the division Morton. A disappoionting 1-0 defeat away to Peterhead in the 2nd round of the League Cup put Rovers 0 for 3 in the nights session , but Super Mark Yardley stoked home the only goal of the game in the hom tie against Queens Park to move Rovers off the bottom of the league and back into contention for 8th place in the league.

Montrose Mediocrity Continues

After being delayed on Thursday night, away on a secret scouting mission, at trip doon the local fire brigade office as my scout had told me there were loads o strikers doon at the station. It seems that the board’s expectation will be met this season as we sit mid table after some solid performances. But yet again we fail to score, in fact in the last game we failed to even have a shot.

What I’d gi fur a 20 goal a season striker, but it seems they are as rare as rockin horse **** at the moment. Lookin forward tae the night, promise I’ll no be as big an eejit as I was on Thursday, I think the nurses have changed ma medication.

Well well well, the Blue Toon are the final remaining unbeaten side in the SD3. That is all going to change as a hurting Morton side will be out to do some damage next game. So the record will have lasted all of one game icon_wink.gif

Another day of mixed fortunes loomed for Abraham and his beloved Ton.

Abraham said "when You have a first division side playing in the third division, you would expect us to win every game. However, my defence seemed to thing it was East Stirling for a while and let in some stupid goals."

a home Game against Peterhead began the sessions festives and Abraham was wanting to win this one to bring an end to Mr. Holligans boasts of undefeated Blue Toons, and also to go further ahead at the top of the division. But unfortunatly it was not to be. Before half time the ball was sent forward to Alex Bone who was about 5 yards offside, and scored the contraversial goal much to the irritation of the Ton manager. in the 45'th minute Mark Perry was send off for Peterhead and Abraham instantly pounced to take full advatage of the situation. However, despite 12 shot6s on target in the second half Ton could only pull back the score through Wonder Kid Alex Williams to make the Full time result 1-1 icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Next game against gretna ended in further fustration to Abraham due to Gretna scoring a 62nd minute goal through Fairbairn and once again Super Williams saving the blushes of the visiting Cappilow side. Abraham was furious at the full time interview saying "Gretna are a mid table side and you would expect a side like ours to be able to comfortably beat a 3rd division side that was being managed by its assistant in the second half" icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Montrose finished up the session with a visit to Cappilow. 16 minutes into the first half out of favour Warren Hawke scored from the side of the box to give the Ton the lead fallowed up by another excellant goal by Gary Fiskin in the 40th to make it 2-0 at half time. New 19 year old Icelandic Sveinsson scored his first of what looks to be many in the 71st minute before Housham got a consilation Penalty in the 85th minute to wrap up the game in a 3-1 victory for the league leaders. In the post game interview Abraham simply said "I'm happy with that one". icon_smile.gif

Morton go into thursdays session with a two point cussion and game in hand to second placed Stirling who were totaly and utterly humiliated by lowely place Albion.

Roll on thursday

Alasdair Shaw's Programme Notes. Monday 26th May 2003

Dear Supporter,

Our campaign took an early blow when Arbuckle pulled up with an injury in training the week and he’s expected out for a month. However this will give young Gavin Chadbone a chance to shine in the first team.

A tricky away game against Gary Toner’s Queen’s Park awaited us but we quickly laid siege to the Spider’s goal, with Mallan hitting the post. The influential Mark Clague snuck in to make it 1-0, before adding a second on the stroke of half time. Clague has be a fantastic signing and rightly earned his hat trick with a header and bursting through the defence to bag a fourth and make the final score 4-0. The result put us up to second in the league, but the match was tinged with sadness upon learning that Holloway will be out for 5 months with a broken leg, even more concerning when you remember that Arbuckle was also on the sidelines.

However we had to put such thoughts at the back of our mind for our League Cup 2nd Round game away at Hibs. It was my first match against an SPL team and with odds of 10-1; it was no surprise we struggled against such top quality opposition. McManus put the hosts ahead, but we managed to battle back and grab an equaliser from Mallan. However after the interval, the team really struggled with some woeful defending giving Brebner a goal before he converted a penalty. By this point we were all at sea, and when O’Connor surfaced to score, our cause was sunk. McManus rubbed salt into our wounds with another, making the score 5-1.

Chris Nicol’s East Fife have been good form recently, but when Clague’s early goal was chopped off for offside, I knew things weren’t going to be easy. So it came as little surprise when Kerrigan blasted home against his former employers to put us a goal behind. Petric’s penalty out us level, but Kerrigan made me feel silly for selling him, when he scored a second. However when Moss scored a screamer from distance, it was obvious there was only going to be one winner. Indeed Clague netted from close range before Parker got his first goal for the club, sealing the victory in the final minute to send us to the top of the league.

The end of the month brought some well deserved accolades for our players, with Clague picking up the Bell’s Player of the Month, while Nicholas was named the Bell’s Young Player of the Month.

Ross Turpie’s East Stirling have been struggling at the bottom of the table the season, so our visit to them should have been an easy one for us. However it turned out to be a shocking result from our point of view. As Smith, Kelly and a double from Martin gave us a hammering, with Scott’s goal little consolation. Even worse was the fact that my already depleted midfield will be without Scott, who picked up an injury. It was a horrendous loss for us, but credit must go to Turpie for the fight his side put up. It just goes to show how these wee diddy teams raise their games for a challenge.

One such loss I can tolerate, but the defeat at Steve McGunness’s Albion Rovers saw me explode in the dressing room at full time. Some farcical midfield play let McLean get their two goals and even when Lumsden was sent off, we couldn’t threaten them in the way we should be. I suppose I shouldn’t be too harsh on the midfield as it really is difficult for players to come in and cover our injuries, but losses like these might well cost us dearly come the end of the season. A final headache came with the news that Karl Ready will be joining an ever crowded physio room for a month.

We've dropped back down to second place, and all of this does not bode well for our Challenge Cup Final game with St. Johnstone next week, but I’m sure the players will do everything they can to get their hands on the first piece of silverware this season.

Enjoy the game.

Alasdair Shaw

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Get well soon gaffer <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was the call of the day after Fifers boss Chris Nicol missed the first game of the season after a horrific bike accident. Rumour has it that one of his fellow 3rd Division managers tampered with the bike that was to send him flying to near death in a attempt to halt the Fifers constant rise in the league, investigations are taking place with Pete Abraham top of the suspects with his knowledge on bikes. Get well soon cards were sent from all of the elite managers as they felt sorry for the potentially brillinat Nicol. Nicol said "yeah I have the top gaffers cards by my bedisde, Hitzfelt, Ferguson, Trappatoni, Maldini and Williamson. I am however still waiting on a call from my fellow 3rd division managers."

Assitant Graeme Bennet took charge for the Albion Rovers game and the players were clearly pumped up for it as they ran out easy 2-0 winners with goals from Garcia and sub Walker.

Fifers then faced 1st divison outfit Queen of the South which would always be a tough task. The lads held on superbly and battled well for 90 minutes. Kerrigan gave us the lead but a QOS equaliser meant extra time was needed. The East Fife boys simply didn't have enough left in the tank and lost 2 goals to fall it a worthy 3-1 defeat.

A shattered Fifers team then travelled to promotion favourites Stirling Albion and fielded a half reserve side. Steve Kerrigan stuck 2 fingers up to his old boss Ally Shaw with a couple of cracking strikes but that was all East Fife could offer as they were unlucky to fall 4 goals to 2.

Alex Holligans side then travelled to New Bayview in search of maintaining their unbeten run. They started this very well and took a lead they looked like holding on to, however despite Nicol being drugged up in the dug out he was still able to perform tactical miracles and rescue a point as he changed it to allow lethal Lee a bit of space where he did not dissapoint from.

Fifers now sit in 4th position which is truely remarkable considering their funds, resources and the squad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TURPS:

How the hell did u manage to fall off yer bike Chris? when the stabilisers are still on icon_confused.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stabilisers on a tricycle icon_confused.gif that is some trick. icon_razz.gif

icon_frown.gif Apologies lads.

GF's 18th birthday yesterday and she had a party. Was at hers from Saturday night to this morning! Looks like the lads aren't doing too bad though!! 5th place and level gd!! icon_eek.gif

Looking forward to getting back to work on Thurs though, and let all the good form go downhill again icon_biggrin.gif Blueyonder have finished their 'upgrading' (so they say) so all should be fine.

SB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by t_i_n_o2001:

GF's 18th birthday yesterday and she had a party. Was at hers from Saturday night to this morning! Looks like the lads aren't doing too bad though!! 5th place and level gd!! icon_eek.gif

Looking forward to getting back to work on Thurs though, and let all the good form go downhill again icon_biggrin.gif Blueyonder have finished their 'upgrading' (so they say) so all should be fine.

SB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Excuse thers loads of burds, only 1 CM icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh and dont talk to chris about going down hill..ouch icon_eek.gif

### SHIRE ON FIRE? ###

Well a small spark to be precise. What a great session apart from 1 freezing problem eary on. We have battered through a quarter of the season now so congrats to all involved for their continued patience in making it happen. Its true the Shire have had a poor start and it has taken time for the team to gel and to settle into a style of play. Now that veterans Brian Irvine and Peter Grant have had a few games under their belts the general fitness of the team has improved. Young keeper Van der Deyl has been thrown in and has performed well between the sticks displacing Livvy loan keeper Scott Findlay. Loan players Jamie Smith, Liam Miller and Steven McLean are also improving so the dressing room is buzzing once again after some much needed points were won in monday nights session.

21.9.2 EAST STIRLING 2 Elgin City 2

Elgin took an early lead through a 'sleazy' 2 goal margin within 20 minutes, only for Shire to bravely battle back and claim a point with goals from McLean & Kelly. The team showed tremendous character and were gelling together now with veterans Brian Irvine and Peter Grant proving their experience and match fitness. Kelly typified the new fighting spirit and determination, by getting red carded late on, but the draw and much needed point was much appreciated, taking the shire off the bottom spot to the detriment of Bod.

28.9.02 Albion Rovers 4 EAST STIRLING 0

The battle of 'Bod' would result and contest the position for bottom place in Scots Division 3. And unfortunately the strongest team won quite convincingly at home, sending the Shire back to the doldrums for another week. Bod won easy 4 nil with poor defending to blame as the Wee Rovers steam rolled their way to victory. Shire did not play that badly as they desperatley tried to chase the game. Bods troops are underachieving this season and are certain to climb the table contrary to rival reports.

5.10.02 EAST STIRLING 4 Stirling Albion 1

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So far the team has been unlucky not to scrape out a few more points and I genuinely believe we are due to gee someone a right dooing! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a result for the diddy team icon_wink.gif

With the new form that Shire have, the next few games cant come quick enough. Dogbreaths' BlueToon next at home, and Jimbo's Greeting Gretna away, hopefull 6 points in the bag! roll on thursday..... icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TURPS:

SB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Excuse thers loads of burds, only 1 CM icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh and dont talk to chris about going down hill..ouch icon_eek.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but theres only 1 of my bird icon_razz.gif

Rampant Rovers Run Riot

Its been said by many that Albion Rovers squad this season is good enough to gain promotion, and their constant underperformance cannot be explained by any means other than their long injury list. However , this session , the physios and their magic sponges finally managed to make a bit of an impact, and Rovers improved dramatically from previous weeks.

East Fife 2 - 0 Albion Rovers

Of the back of a good win at Queens Park, it was hoped Rovers could keep their form going in the league. Alas , the promotion chasing Fifers proved far too strong , but the backlash was coming .....

Albion Rovers 4 - 0 East Stirling

It was unfortunate for Rosco that his equally underachieving 'shire team should wander into Coatbridge to find a Rovers team motivated to destroy all comers. A devastating hat-trick from Charlie McLean put a sorry 'shire team to the sword , but its notable that 'shire bounced back next game to gub league leaders Stirling .... nothing is cut and dried in Division 3 this season!

Elgin City 1 - 0 Albion Rovers

One of those unfortunate games where not only do you play your opposition off the park, but the game engine allows your opponents to play BETTER when theyre down to 10 men ... *sigh*

Albion Rovers 2 - 0 Stirling

Stirlings fall from Grace continued, as they lost consecutive games to the bottom two teams. Goals from McLean(2) allowed Rovers to move to 8th in the table , and start their mid-season run on promotion.

Gaffer McGuinness has endured some criticism from the local media of late, and was even rumoured to have been refused service in the local McDonalds after the 4-1 reversal to Gretna earlier in the season , but the fans are no longer calling for his head.

Theyre still calling for his bollocks. But thats an improvement i suppose. Still , could be worse , he could be sitting dead last despite signing about 20 players.

Financially , Rovers are looking strong. Their only outlay has been behind the scenes, and this long term strategy has appeased the fans, who see the U18 team winning week after week, indicating a strong future for the Wee Rovers!

Archived