How many of you ENJOY FM08?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">08 is that the demo and release match engine was so close to being on the money </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree entirely - I hated the demo/release match engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apart from the closing down, defensive side and player pace (which I acknowledged as awful), what else did you specifically not like about the initial release?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">08 is that the demo and release match engine was so close to being on the money </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree entirely - I hated the demo/release match engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apart from the closing down, defensive side and player pace (which I acknowledged as awful), what else did you specifically not like about the initial release?

I'll be honest and say I don't think the game is in the same league as FM07. I find many of the matches to be somewhat unrealistic in terms of numbers of shots and goals, plus it feels to me as if the number of likely situations seems diluted.

I'm enjoying it but I don't find myself playing it like I did FM07.

I can't help but think they have taken away the match engine and all the standard features from FM07 and replaced them with new versions. They should have kept the FM07 versions. They may not have done that but that is how it feels to me; I mean FM07s match engine was the biz and the realism was so good. It's all diluted now.

Having said all that I like the features that have been added and I think the game will be seriously polished by FM09. I also don't find the difficulty to be too much. I find it about right but I enjoy a more challenging game. You don't need to be a tactical genius to do well in the game though; I'm not.

I'll carry on playing because I will always enjoy FM. I do sit and think there could be more realism however.

I have good runs and bad runs and thise makes the game very annoying.

I rarely have a season where I don't blast into the top two then collapse in November.

And the 4-2-4 issue is insane.

No matter who you are and who you are playing, as soon as they go to 4-2-4, you have to desperately change your own formation and cross your fingers and hope for the best.

And opposition managers always, without fail, go to 4-2-4 if they are losing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

Apart from the closing down, defensive side and player pace (which I acknowledged as awful), what else did you specifically not like about the initial release? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So apart from 60% of the match engine, what else did I specifically not like? icon_wink.gif

Set pieces - absolutely horrible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

Apart from the closing down, defensive side and player pace (which I acknowledged as awful), what else did you specifically not like about the initial release? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So apart from 60% of the match engine, what else did I specifically not like? icon_wink.gif

Set pieces - absolutely horrible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This'll make you laugh even more- I thought the setpieces were much improved!

Id actually thought they'd got worse from the initial version to 8.01.

Thats perception for you- may have to go back to the initial one and see what I think now.

I am enjoying my current game with Plymouth, but I'm not sure how long that'll last:P. However there are some issues that I am not too fond of such as the Confidence feature making it seem like you are doing a bad job when you are actually not and certain issues with the match engine. I also feel that the whole game doesn't flow as much as orevious versions.

Despite this though I am enjoying it, but not as much as previous versions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimmyt:

I have good runs and bad runs and thise makes the game very annoying.

I rarely have a season where I don't blast into the top two then collapse in November.

And the 4-2-4 issue is insane.

No matter who you are and who you are playing, as soon as they go to 4-2-4, you have to desperately change your own formation and cross your fingers and hope for the best.

And opposition managers always, without fail, go to 4-2-4 if they are losing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For all my issues with the ME this isnt one of them.

The 424 situation is easily managable and realistic- Ive even seen teams chuck DCs up top in search of a desperate last minute goal.

Its such a non-issue that by exploiting the space on the wings with a counter-attack will more often than not reap dividends in a goal (or two) for you.

It's really weird how differently we all see the match engine.

I for example never really noticed the closing down thing defensively, (and have only recentky noticed that it's impossible to press high up the putch and close down the opposition in their third of the pitch.

I haven';t ever really noticed a 1v1 bug.

I haven't noticed a problem with penalties.

I think that free-kicks and corners in FM08 are significantly better than FM07.

I suppose we all have little areas that we concentrate on in real football, and that's what we look for in the match engine.

I've seen many a centre back thrown up front, and sometimes It's worked.

but my issue with 4-2-4 is that it's a standard 'go to' tactic for the opposition which always demands you need to change.

I've tried all the counter-atacking options, but for some reason my players also stop being able to play at the same time.

When I'm outnumbering them in midfield I should get more posession, but my defenders can't pick out a man anymore and suddenly refuse to tackle!

What is most irritating with 4-2-4 though is that when the AI does it, they get chance after chance, when I do it, the game whizzes through with nothing happening.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This'll make you laugh even more- I thought the setpieces were much improved!

Id actually thought they'd got worse from the initial version to 8.01.

Thats perception for you- may have to go back to the initial one and see what I think now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The set pieces were definitly improved over FM07, and they have got a lot worse since 8.0.1, but neither were acceptable to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but my issue with 4-2-4 is that it's a standard 'go to' tactic for the opposition which always demands you need to change. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't change tactics and I have just gone a whole league season unbeaten.

I play quite a defensive way at the start though.

424 is just a 442 with the wingers pushing right up. It's not even close to being as unrealistic as everyone seems to think.

It's simply the manager pushing his players forward in order to win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spot on icon14.gif.

I find swapping to a back five (ie with a sweeper), lowest setting normal defensivie line and direct passing counter the 424 really well. So far I have only conceded 3 times to this formation in 1.5 seasons but have scored 14 times against it.

I usualy take off my DMC and bring on the CB substitute I have (if not already used).

I like it, but it's by far the least enjoyable of the last 3 versions.

The finishing bug is absurd. I understand the match engine creates too many chances. I understand that if SI hadn't nerfed strikers/granted superhuman powers to keepers (AI and human), then scores would be like 8 to 3.

It's still awful to watch. Essentially, to preserve realism in the scorelines, they decimated an important part of the match engine to cover up another flaw in the engine. That's really not ok, especially when this part of the FM07 match engine was fine.

I'm probably about to return to FM07 until this is fixed. And I hate doing that, because FM08 does add some pretty nifty little features.

*I also note more text bugs than in previous versions. Doesn't really detract too much - but really, hoe much effort does it take to edit your work?

I am really enjoying playing FM08. I think the match engine has gotten better and am seeing my tactics implemented a lot better than 07. I always play with my teams playing down the wings and I am actually seeing all my attacks coming from the wings and firing in crosses and my wingers dribbling alot.

A few niggles here and there but am very happy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

424 is just a 442 with the wingers pushing right up. It's not even close to being as unrealistic as everyone seems to think.

It's simply the manager pushing his players forward in order to win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spot on icon14.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't agree more with this. 4-2-4 has never bothered me in the slightest. It's actually pretty counterable anyway.

I've bitched and moaned about the many bugs and glitches in the game, and I still maintain that some of them are bordering on the absolutely unacceptable, but the fact remains that I keep playing the game, and I keep enjoying it.

I agree 100%. But irl this is a **** or bust attempt from the losing team's manager to grab a point from the jaws of defeat, and often the result is that the side leading expose the 4-2-4 sides defence and score more goals. That hardly ever happens in FM08. If it did I'm sure we'd have no complaints.

Uhm it's odd, I hardly ever loose against grey teams or bottom feeders, it's hardly ever close. Sometiems upsets happens, but then again.. nothing is impossible. My defense isn't aweful and far from it. Perhaps it's my tactics? or whatever.

it doesn't cost me 100M$ for a guy who is worht 15M$, sure they cost more then there actual value, but hey, when I happen to sell a star I never sell him under half the actual value either.

For teh board part, yeah, it could need some improvements, but you have to keep in mind that it's the first version it's introduced, so it's not as tweaked as if it had always been in the game. So far, I've spent 6 seasons with the same club and even though I haven't reached always all the expectatiosn of the club, it,s not enough for them to sack me as overall I do a good job.

I have a great time playing and I must say, even if it's not flawless, each versions of FM are always better then the previous one and I wouldn,t consider going back to FM '07.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serpico:

I agree 100%. But irl this is a **** or bust attempt from the losing team's manager to grab a point from the jaws of defeat, and often the result is that the side leading expose the 4-2-4 sides defence and score more goals. That hardly ever happens in FM08. If it did I'm sure we'd have no complaints. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not looking to be deliberately argumentative here, but I often score late goals after the opposition has gone to 4-2-4. I usually take a defensive approach with my eye on holding out for the win, and end up scoring one or even two more goals while they go all out for their equaliser.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:

My enjoyment right now is at about 75%.

And the missing quarter is due to having to dodge all the leagues with registration, just to be safe from the possibility of any registration bugs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The registration bug is so bad that I think it warrants an emergency patch fixing just that. Though I'm sure that would just open the floodgates of requests for more fixes. Still, it really is an appalling bug. Makes vast swathes of the game unplayable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serpico:

I agree 100%. But irl this is a **** or bust attempt from the losing team's manager to grab a point from the jaws of defeat, and often the result is that the side leading expose the 4-2-4 sides defence and score more goals. That hardly ever happens in FM08. If it did I'm sure we'd have no complaints. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happened a hell of a lot for me when I was playing it.

The registration bug is avoidable if you just pay attention to the news letters at the end of the window. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But those who are unaware of the bug will obviously not know this. Not paying close attention to newsletters is just about forgivable. But the bug is not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pangalaticgargleblaster:

the worst game of all time, the players graphics take up half the screen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Players graphics? Do you mean the photographs of their faces? If so, you could just turn that off.

Oh, and I'm not saying the bug is forgivable - just putting forward that maybe the reason SI haven't rushed into a patch just to fix it is because it's avoidable.

Why risk breaking something else to rush into a fix for something which, while highly annoying, can be avoided?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pangalaticgargleblaster:

worst game since fifa 06 for the sega, especially the unstoppable last kick of the game goals that only the opposition every score </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Utter, utter tripe. And I shouldn't have responded.

si rushing into a bug, do you think they give a toss about you or the game, there just getting free money for releasing the same game every year with slightly different graphics, the reason there are only updates every 4 months is because they only work once every 4 months </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this is true, why hang around? Why not p**s off and leave us 'fools' to allow SI to pilfer our money, safe in the knowledge that you escaped the ruse?

why, ive never paid for a copy anyway, just download it for free </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then what right do you have to expect anything from the product?

Archived