Why am I losing money?

I am Sunderland and I am now in my 5th season, I won the league for the first time last season and also the FA Cup double.

Despite the increased funds I was given for winning the competitions I am still losing money.

In my first year with a 49,000 stadium I was regularly making profits.

Then in my 3rd year, the Stadium was expanded to 64,000, which means from increased ticket sales I should be making more money right?

Add to that Champions League revenue and I can't understand why I am losing money every month? Especially since my income is massive compared to when I started the game.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

I am Sunderland and I am now in my 5th season, I won the league for the first time last season and also the FA Cup double.

Despite the increased funds I was given for winning the competitions I am still losing money.

In my first year with a 49,000 stadium I was regularly making profits.

Then in my 3rd year, the Stadium was expanded to 64,000, which means from increased ticket sales I should be making more money right?

Add to that Champions League revenue and I can't understand why I am losing money every month? Especially since my income is massive compared to when I started the game.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

How is your expenditure compared to before? Has it also dramatically increased?

You often lose money during the course of a season, getting a boost in the summer with season ticket sales, strong merchandising sales and prize money. There are many factors as to why you might be losing money, like wages, bonuses, signing players over 24 months etc...

Selling players over 24 months is a nice way to make profit every month though (only if you don't buy the same way):thup:

A bit more info on your finances would help get more replies.

i believe that smaller clubs spend in line with their income. because they can't always rely on long cup runs and winning competitions.

the larger clubs will speculate on winning things or getting to the semis and so will spend in advance with the presumption that they will get their money back.

this may be the reason.

You'll need to give a lot more info on your finances if you want in-depth replies :)

Simply put, you're losing money because you're spending more than you receive.

You can't rely on CL football every month because as you know there are periods during Winter where there aren't any games at all. Before Xmas you would have had the group stages, 3 home games jammed into a couple of months for the group stages bringing you 60,000 x ticketprice (several million pounds) and then after Xmas the Knockout stages where you might play 1 home game per month if you make it.

The single biggest expenditure is wages. How much are you shelling out for the squads wages? You should be looking at around £800,000 salary per week for a team with 60,000 average attendances from my experience, any more and it's not sustainable unless you bring in vast amounts from Merchandise.

Im the same. Im Ipswich in my 5 or 6th season. Got to the prem first go of asking and never looked back. Ive came 5th the past 2 seasons. Semi finals of Ufea Cup.

Club is now worth 92million! Had 40million in the bank at the start of the season. This year Ive been losing around 2-3mill a month. Now got 5mill in the bank! Not sure what to do!!

Im the same. Im Ipswich in my 5 or 6th season. Got to the prem first go of asking and never looked back. Ive came 5th the past 2 seasons. Semi finals of Ufea Cup.

Club is now worth 92million! Had 40million in the bank at the start of the season. This year Ive been losing around 2-3mill a month. Now got 5mill in the bank! Not sure what to do!!

It's quite simple, go to your expenditure screen and see where you'r going wrong. Again you need to give a lot more info for in depth replies.

are you paying over the odds for players over 24 months? over your wage budget? shelling out too much in bonuses?

Sometimes the board doesn't get the finances right and will give you too much to spend on transfers and wages, something to keep an eye on. Sounds like this may be the case here. If your losing a ton of money every month then something must be seriously wrong.

The only thing under your control is:

Wages, wages, wages and wages :D

If you consider someone on 30k a week, thats 1.5mill a year, not really sustainable for a club the size of Ipswich if you have an entire squad on 30k a week.

You need to cut the riffraff from your squad, trim your team down to the starting 11 and a backup players for each position.

If you're in this for the longterm, you need to adopt a good youth policy NOW. Sign tomorrows wonderkids on cheap wages now on longterm deals and i guarentee you'll reap the benefits when you're European champions with a team on 1/2 the wages of Real Madrid.

As Barcelona im outlaying around £750k a week on wages, which im very proud of, because only Messi is earning more than £80k a week, the rest of the squad were all nutured through and average 30-40k a week or less.

Hey,

Im 160K under my wage budget. and Im trimming down my squad at the moment. I have over 30,000 season ticket holders. My main expenditure is Wages.

Maybe the chairman is paying beyound his means. Only got to high Earners and that is De Jong and Van Der Vaart who are both on 80k! Van Der Vaart is being sold in Jan for 5million,

Just strange how suddenly its all gone down hill! The board are happy with the money and transfer budget Ive spent.

I have used youngster. average age of 24! Not to bad.

Thanks for your help. gonna try trim some more of my squad

Hey,

Im 160K under my wage budget. and Im trimming down my squad at the moment. I have over 30,000 season ticket holders. My main expenditure is Wages.

Maybe the chairman is paying beyound his means. Only got to high Earners and that is De Jong and Van Der Vaart who are both on 80k! Van Der Vaart is being sold in Jan for 5million,

Just strange how suddenly its all gone down hill! The board are happy with the money and transfer budget Ive spent.

I have used youngster. average age of 24! Not to bad.

Thanks for your help. gonna try trim some more of my squad

Glad i could be helpful :)

Without meaning to sound patronising, take no notice of what the board say with regards to setting your wage budget. The AI doesn't take into account your monthly profit/loss when allowing you to move your transfer funds to wage budget and vice versa.

It simply calculates how much of the 'excess' transfer funds you can channel into your budget for a financial year. For example if your transfer funds were £5million, you could assign all that to wages and i'd estimate the board would give you approx £96,000 extra in your wage budget for the year. 5,000,000 / 52 = 96,000.

You could be losing money every month but the board will still let you pump more money into your wage budget!

Archived