The Celtic FC 2008/09 Thread - League titles, biscuit tins, terrible football and absolutely no riots.

Samaras were on fire when he played at Heerenveegen (spl), didn't get a real chance at City, showed a little of what he can do at Celtic last year, give him a full pre-season and some regular football and he will be a star for us, and at £2m he is a great buy

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Samaras were on fire when he played at Heerenveegen (spl), didn't get a real chance at City, showed a little of what he can do at Celtic last year, give him a full pre-season and some regular football and he will be a star for us, and at £2m he is a great buy

Agreed, people forget that when he joined in January he was lacking match practice. If we have managed to get him for £2m then that will be an absolute steal.

no loan agreement for john kennedy

Newsroom Staff

FOLLOWING a number of reports in the media today, Celtic Football Club would like to clarify that, contrary to these reports, there has been no agreement finalised between Celtic and Motherwell for John Kennedy to join the Fir Park club on loan.

There are, in fact, others clubs who have also expressed an interest in the Celtic defender.

make of that what you will

I came on here to find out the facts. All I know is:-

McGhee was told Kennedy was Motherwell's to the end of December

McGhee was told Kennedy could play for Motherwell in the UEFA Cup First Round

McGhee has taken the First Team Squad to Obertraun, Austria which he did last season

John Kennedy, is one of the new players in the Squad which travelled to Austria along with 4 trialists (one is Jim O'Brien, another is Lenny Pidgeley, another Spanish guy and a German Defender)

Celtic up to something me thinks :(

John Kennedy has gone on the trip with Motherwell but no deal is in place yet, even Mark McGhee made that clear. He wants to look at him and will not play him until they get back, he may decide not to take him and there are others interested, Dundee united for one.

I came on here to find out the facts. All I know is:-

McGhee was told Kennedy was Motherwell's to the end of December

McGhee was told Kennedy could play for Motherwell in the UEFA Cup First Round

McGhee has taken the First Team Squad to Obertraun, Austria which he did last season

John Kennedy, is one of the new players in the Squad which travelled to Austria along with 4 trialists (one is Jim O'Brien, another is Lenny Pidgeley, another Spanish guy and a German Defender)

Celtic up to something me thinks :(

Motherwell don't want to pay Kennedy's wages apparently, hence no confirmed deal yet

Samaras for 1mill when our friends across the clyde spent double than that on Misser (some of it directly into our pockets) :D

Quality international centre back coming in by the end of the day hopefully when said friends couldnt afford a second rate championship centre back \o/

SSM I saulte you.

Hopefully the Tamas deal goes through now, thought he looked good at the Euro's, so should be a decent aquisition.

Bobo being given a free-transfer away aswell seemingly.

Just need to sort out the futures of Donati, Gravesen, Riordan, Killen et al now, surprised they've all dragged on this long tbh.

Really cant see Donati going anywhere. I think Sno would be more likely to leave.

Lets hope some teams begin to panic buy and bid for the others, would be excellent if we could get them off the wage bill and any signing fee would be a bonus.

Motherwell don't want to pay Kennedy's wages apparently, hence no confirmed deal yet

Nah, FrankJJ is closer to the truth although, not even Kennedy knows the full facts, but listening to what he has said, FrankJJ has said, what McGhee has said again, and what none of the Media have said, Kennedy is the fifth trialist with Motherwell in Austria. He is on trial at Motherwell, and man is McGhee working him hard. We have first option on the loan deal, that is for certain.

Kennedy speaks to MotherwellFC.co.uk

“I am not too sure what is happening to be honest – I think they are still trying to sort things back home at the moment. I am just over here training, making the most of this week and hopefully things can get sorted quickly.

“The possible move came to my attention via Gordon Strachan and my agent who told me about Motherwell’s interest. I was all for it; it’s a good opportunity for me so hopefully it will get sorted out but we just need to wait and see what happens.

And the proof he is being worked hard...

After what seemed like very little sleep, the boys were up at 5.30am your time to run a forty-five minute slog through the forest.... /snip\

To cap it all, the manager (who was taking the group I was following which consisted of Clarky, Coach, Fizzy, Big John Kennedy and Murphy) found a massively steep hill which he made the guys do shuttle runs up and down from an increasing distance. It was difficult watching them doing it, never mind actually taking part.

• SI Staff
What about Franck Quedrue from Birmingham. Always liked him as a player and is being allowed to leave Birmingham on a free.

Is he not a bit rubbish?

lovenkrands - he hasnt signed, but the transfer fee was mooted as the major stumbling block and since that has apparently been conquered, its looking likely imo

I read this and thought for a horrible, nasty minute you were talking about the real Rottenkrands. Thank God.

Celtic close in on defender Tamas

Celtic are exploring a possible move for Romanian international defender Gabriel Tamas from Auxerre.

Sources close to the player have told BBC Sport that a meeting will take place in Paris between the 24-year-old and the clubs on Thursday.

However, Celtic have refused to comment on any transfer targets.

Tamas, who has 35 caps, signed for Auxerre from Spartak Moscow last summer and the French club are thought to be seeking a fee of around £3.5m.

Celtic to release Balde on free

Celtic will allow defender Bobo Balde to leave on a free transfer, if he can find a suitable deal elsewhere.

The 32-year-old Guinea international has a year of his contract to run but has not been a first team regular under manager Gordon Strachan.

Bolton were keen on the centre half in January but Balde picked up an injury at the African Nations Cup.

This time last year, Balde turned down an approach from Sunderland, who were prepared to pay £1.5m for him.

Balde moved to Celtic Park from Toulouse seven years ago but has played just 14 times in the past two seasons.

good luck to big bobo, hope he finds a decent club

I've heard a few reports (no idea how accurate) that QPR are trying to land Bobo (free) and Derek Riordan (£1.3 million) from Celtic.

Do you reckon there is any truth to it and if so are they worth signing?

I've heard a few reports (no idea how accurate) that QPR are trying to land Bobo (free) and Derek Riordan (£1.3 million) from Celtic.

Do you reckon there is any truth to it and if so are they worth signing?

£1.3 million for Riordan would do very nicely if QPR are willing to pay that for him!!! :eek:

delight as mcgeady signs new five-year deal

Paul Cuddihy

CELTIC are today delighted to announce that Aiden McGeady has committed his long-term future to the club by signing a new five-year contract.

McGeady was voted Scotland’s Player of the Year by his fellow professionals last season and his form throughout the campaign helped Celtic win their third league title in a row and reach the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League for a second consecutive season.

And the news that McGeady has signed a new five-year contract will delight Celtic supporters, who voted him their Player of the Year at the club's annual awards dinner last night (Wednesday, July 16).

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “This is wonderful news for the club and our supporters.

“Aiden's performances in recent seasons have made him the outstanding player in Scottish football and clearly we are delighted that he has committed his long-term future to the club.

“Our priority has always been to try and keep our best players at the club and the Board is delighted to support Gordon in his plans for the future by securing Aiden on this long-term agreement.

"It is particularly satisfying that Aiden has become such a success having come through the ranks of our youth development programme.

“While he himself deserves immense praise for all he has done, he is also a real tribute to all those people who have assisted his development including, of course, the great Tommy Burns.

“With Scotland's Player of the Year in Aiden McGeady and the SPL's Top scorer Scott McDonald having now agreed new extended contracts, we are delighted that we have secured the services of two of the finest players in Scotland.

“Clearly, we will also continue to look to make quality additions to our squad and we are pleased to have done this in recent days with the signing of Georgios Samaras, someone who was so crucial to our success last season.

“The Board will continue to do all we can to support the manager and ensure that Celtic stays at the top of Scottish football.”

:thup:

Archived