Football Manager 2008 XML Parsing Error

Hey Guys

Recently had to re-install 2008 as my laptop crashed. Re-installed FM 2008 and updated it to 8.02 Patch. And now I get the XML Parsing error. From googling and searching many forums on this old issue I have done the below and no luck.

Now the mad thing is the game works no probs without the 8.02 patch but obviously its a good thing having the game up to date. Driving me nuts Never had issues with this before.

Any help would be most appreciated.

1. You will lose your game!

create a new game, you will still get an XML error, Save the game. quit back to the menu and "load last game" the game should load up without an error. go back to the main menu and click load game and delete the save game you had just created. Then quit out of the game. Load it up and create a new game, should have no XML errors.

2. Download a newer version of XML Parser from Microsoft.

Can be got from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en install the msxml.msi file.

3. Use a Different Windows XP account.

4. Upgrade netframework to 3.5, download here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Cheers Guys

Do I put it in like this:

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\fm.exe" "--reset_preferences"

Or

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\fm.exe --reset_preferences"

Oh, hang on. You need to add this in to replace the old text. Give me a moment and i will paste the text from my shortcut into this post :)

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\fm.exe" -applaunch 10540 --reset_preferences

Oh, hang on. You need to add this in to replace the old text. Give me a moment and i will paste the text from my shortcut into this post :)

That won't work. First of all because you're playing FM09, not 08. Secondly you use steam iirc.

Have you tried re-installing joceire?

Yes it does Alan. I have done for a mate before and it works (If i remember correctly, although i am probably wrong :D)

Go on then, post it up, get joceire to put it into his target field. Just because it worked on your computer doesn't mean it'll work on everyone else's. Conditions differ depending on what game you're running, did you use steam and so on. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. ;)

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\fm.exe" -applaunch 10540 --reset_preferences

No luck with that text :(

ahmufcwafc yup have tried re-installing so many times and no joy at all. Its weird all the examples given online in the forums have worked for so many but mine is being so stubborn very weird.

Have you tried a clean re-install? That is, deleting all the FM08 files in program files an deleting the FM08 folder in my documents.

Going to try that now. Will let you guys know how I get on. Most appreciated for the help so far. I know this is such an old issue but defo most appreciated.

Let me just expain this a bit clearer to you hamilton, just in case you misunderstood something or another.

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" -applaunch 10540 --reset_preferences

-applaunch 10540 means that you used steam. If you didn't, then the target field won't work.

Going to try that now. Will let you guys know how I get on. Most appreciated for the help so far. I know this is such an old issue but defo most appreciated.

It's no bother. Sorry for just throwing out ideas, it's been a while since I've played 08. Still worth a try though.

Hi guys I had a similair error (xml parsing error- not well formed (invalid token at line 1 of last_saved_game.xml)) for Football manager 09 on vista (not steam), because basically the last time I was playing FM, while saving a game, my laptop turned itself off (because it over-heated) and after that it kept coming up with the xml parsing error if I tried to load the game. Although I can now load up other saved games, it wont let me load up the game which I was playing when my laptop turned itself off, saying "the saved game cannot be loaded". I have tried all the things like --reset preferences on the shortcut etc but does not work. Is there any way I can fix this!!!!!!!!!???? As I was doing very well on that game and want to be able to play it again!!! thanks

Hi guys I had a similair error (xml parsing error- not well formed (invalid token at line 1 of last_saved_game.xml)) for Football manager 09 on vista (not steam), because basically the last time I was playing FM, while saving a game, my laptop turned itself off (because it over-heated) and after that it kept coming up with the xml parsing error if I tried to load the game. Although I can now load up other saved games, it wont let me load up the game which I was playing when my laptop turned itself off, saying "the saved game cannot be loaded". I have tried all the things like --reset preferences on the shortcut etc but does not work. Is there any way I can fix this!!!!!!!!!???? As I was doing very well on that game and want to be able to play it again!!! thanks

Looks like your save file is corrupt. There's no way of getting it back now, unless you made backup.

Archived