Ever bought a player because of their name?

Ages ago in 1996/97 I think, I bought a striker called Youri Mulder for my Arsenal side and then, for fairly obvious reasons, bought Tony Scully even though he was poop, just so I had have my own X-Files partnership. icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ignacio Diaz De Cerio <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah I bought him for Bilbao many moons ago

I remember back in the early days of CM, the board used to suggest that you buy 'a big name player', so I always used to buy Chris Bart-Williams and ask them (out loud, every time) 'He got a big enough name for ya?'

I was young(ish) back then tho'. Wouldn't be guilty of such immature behaviour niowadays.

What do you mean it's not funny?. It may not be funny now, but it wasn't funny then either!

I'm 50,000% guilty of this. Double so when at a lower league team and any player going will do.

Last night while starting a new game with a freshly promoted Polish side I purchesed a Brazilian player called Rambo on a free transfer.

To be fair he's quite good. I'm still waiting for a "Rambo fires in a long range shot" or similar. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spagbol:

I'm 50,000% guilty of this. Double so when at a lower league team and any player going will do.

Last night while starting a new game with a freshly promoted Polish side I purchesed a Brazilian player called Rambo on a free transfer.

To be fair he's quite good. I'm still waiting for a "Rambo fires in a long range shot" or similar. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

"The vistors draw first blood."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by betterspud:

I remember back in the early days of CM, the board used to suggest that you buy 'a big name player', so I always used to buy Chris Bart-Williams and ask them (out loud, every time) 'He got a big enough name for ya?'

I was young(ish) back then tho'. Wouldn't be guilty of such immature behaviour niowadays.

What do you mean it's not funny?. It may not be funny now, but it wasn't funny then either! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did that exact same thing as well. icon_biggrin.gif

And then I think I bought him from a club in Cyprus in FM05 just for the memories.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ding Dong, That name got a ring to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol quality!! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoonerGaz0607:

I've got a player in my FM07 Nigeria team called Ice Cream. icon_biggrin.gif Gave him his internation debut just because of his name. icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aww, I was going to post that one icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived