The FM08 Career Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha, i'm in preseason so spending my time going through hundreds of free agents looking for that hidden gem.

Think i've just found him

Some obvious weaknesses but not bad for a freebie.

Again i've been given no money for transfers but finally, the board is letting me keep some of the money from player sales so i now have a massive 13k to play with!

haha, i'm in preseason so spending my time going through hundreds of free agents looking for that hidden gem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha yeh those are the times, how ive spent my hours in boredem searching through unknown randoms,

one thing ive learnt is from the free agents, if you go the bottom of the pile, there seems to be some quality like foreign like british virgin islands and places like that, players who are class on their, Like that Rick Joslin i had, and there was quite a few others of that calibre, so thats a trick ive learnt,

and Yeh mighty close, im reall hoping i can get through automatically!

and nothing wrong with him on a free, excellent singing!

I'll have a look at the bottom of the pile then, i usually tend to focus my time looking at players who are wanted by other clubs, the logic being that if they are decent, someone will be after them. But now i'm in league 2 it doesnt really work as loads of players are wanted by BSN/BSS sides and nowhere near good enough.

As i get further up the leagues, i can sign more players but it just makes it harder and takes up more time. Cant really complain though.

I hate my chairman. He has just sold off my best striker. 475k is a lot of money in league 2 but we didnt need the money. I have another 3 adequate strikers but two are injured so very short upfront at the moment. And i've started badly, losing my first two in the league and getting knocked out of the league cup.

No just a point ahead, just beat Bromley in a thrilling 6-4!!

still a point ahead, 8 games to go.

and, Ahhhhh :(:( Why do chairmans do that? why dont they just sit their give you the money, and take their hands out of the transfers!

and not a good start, im sure it will improve!

Obviously your still top - you drew. I'm an idiot!

Well he has gave me 70% of the transfer fee to spend and ill be making sure i spend every penny. He has yet to give me a transfer budget so i might as well take advantage. There are no decent strikers available to replace him though.

God i feel like resigning

Crawley losing 3-1..

88 minutes, im leading away at eastbourne borough 1-0 looking comfortable, going back to the top of the league.

2 goals in the 89th minute and then 93rd made sure that werent happening

cant beleive it :(

Gutted. Well i've just been beaten again. Bottom of the table. I dont know whats wrong. We are playing good football too. I have been applying for a few jobs but it seems like my reputation hasnt increased enough for me to get anything above my current level.

Still the gap is 2 points, with 4 games remaining! although thats basically 3 points because of goal difference, and i cant see crawley slipping up twice, so i just need them to lose one game, out of their 4, and for me to win all of mine!

tough ask, i can pray though!

Good luck, but its out of your hands.

My poor form continues, and now the perfomances have gone. Battered 5-0 by Grays and beaten 2-0 by Gillingham. Did draw to Bournemouth but i'm still bottom. I told the board i'd finish in the top half so it wouldnt surprise me if i was shown the door soon.

Season Report:

Conference South

St.Albans - 2008/2009:

The season started fairly well for St.Albans, and after 10 games had won 7, lost 3, they then went unbeaten for 17 games, but still stood in 2nd place, behind Crawley. These two teams battled it out for the whole season, with no other team coming close, throghout the season Lolley added to his squad, and one of them played a huge part in St.Albans season, Micheal Raynes was brought in for £85,000 to sure up the St.Albans back line, Again St.Albans were in great form winning 7 out of 8, and leaving them top by 3 points with 8 games to play. then it all went apart, as St.Albans lost momentum and form picking up only 13 points from their last 8 games, leaving them behind winner Crawley by 3 points. This meant St.Albans would have to battle it out in the play-offs.

Play-Offs:

St.Albans favourites to win the play-offs, took on bishop's stortford, thrashing them 4-1 at Their place before a comfortbale 2-0 home win to see them through to the final where they faced the dangerous Salisbury.

The Final:

It started well for St.Albans and they had numerous chances with Charlie Hearn wasting the best chance after 11 minutes, after firing over from 8 yards. but it was Salisbury who took the lead, after Fabian Wilnis headed in his own net from a Salisbury corner, St.Albans after the break came out all guns Blazing, and had several chances before Micheal Rae put them level with a cool finish after being sent through by Danny Philliskirk. Again St.Albans pushed but the last 10 minutes belonged to Salisbury as they themselves came close with matthew Tubbs long range effort hitting the bar with just 4 minutes remaining, but Extra time it was to be.

Extra Time:

Extra time was fairly dull with few and far chances between, but the deciding goal came 3 minutes before the end, when Inderpaul Khela brought down David Rainford, who picked himself up to tuck away the penalty to give Salisbury promotion to the Blue Square Premier.

Heartbreak for St.Albans after Joe Lolley's men had dominated the league throughout and just missed out on the automatic spot.

Overview:

What was a good season, turned out into a dissapointing season as my only target (to get promoted) was failed to acheive.

Signing of the Season:

Micheal Rae

Player of the Season:

Morton Neilsen

Next Year Aims:

1. Win the league,

2. Gain 95+ Points.

3. Fa Cup 3rd Round

Currently fairly happy at St.Albans, although that play off defeat means ill always have one eye on other jobs available.

BREAKING NEWS:

Joe Lolley on the 4th of July was sacked after Continously applying for other Jobs, growing tensions between Lolley and the Board has become to intense, there was only one option left,

here's what Lolley had to say: "Well im obvoiusly dissapointed, but i had to be done, and im looking to move on and better my career"

it is not yet understood where Lolley intends to go,

I was doing the Terry Venables Challenge but I seem to be the only one now! It was also getting frustrating not being able to take jobs that came up, mainly Brazil!!!

This thread looks active and seems like everyone is enjoying their game.

I've decided to load up some leagues I've never managed in before for my career. Portgual, Holland, France and Germany.

Leagues Running

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r96/neilez2/LeaguesRunning.png

I started unemployed with an automatic reputation and to be honest I was surprised to be offered a job so quickly.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r96/neilez2/HelmondJob.png

Never managed in the Dutch leagues before, squad doesn't look terrible but lacks any player of real class.

Targets for the season:

To prepare for next seasons promotion push into the Dutch top flight!

Also, how do I change the name of the link to say a players name or something?

unlucky Peljam

im playing my Montevarchi game again, ive been messing around with edited players and holidays games lately haha, so im back to this game with about 14 games to go, hopefully i can reach a playoff position, but i dont think i will.

Started a new game again, hopefully I can keep this 1 going.

Loaded up a nation from each continent. Got all leagues from Scotland, India, South Africa, Argentina, Australia and Mexico.

After rejecting a couple of moves to the Second Division of South Africa I decided to start in the Scottish Third Division with Stranraer so will report back soon once started playing it more often.

I thought it would be interesting to have a look back at the clubs I've managed in the past and see how they are getting on.

Here's the list of clubs and dates.

St Albans

After achieving a mid table finish in League One I left in search of a foreign adventure. They spent three more season there before getting relegated to League Two. They made one more brief appearance in League One in 2023/24 but were immediately relegated.

Bassano Virtus

After I quit the club following my relegation they have yo-yo'd between Serie C1/A and the depths of the unplayable leagues on my game.

Notts County

I left after taking them to League One, which they got immediately relegated from. Last season they managed to gain promotion and they are currently in mid table.

Wycombe

When I left them in the Premier League they were just above the relegation zone, I eventually took over at Middlesbrough and relegated them. They bounced straight back up, winning the Championship but they look like prime candidates for the drop again.

Deportivo

Sacking me looks like the best thing that ever happened to me, the new manager was able to get the season back on track and actually won promotion in that year, finishing 3rd. They are currently in mid table in La Liga.

I thought it would be interesting to have a look back at the clubs I've managed in the past and see how they are getting on.

Here's the list of clubs and dates.

St Albans

After achieving a mid table finish in League One I left in search of a foreign adventure. They spent three more season there before getting relegated to League Two. They made one more brief appearance in League One in 2023/24 but were immediately relegated.

Bassano Virtus

After I quit the club following my relegation they have yo-yo'd between Serie C1/A and the depths of the unplayable leagues on my game.

Notts County

I left after taking them to League One, which they got immediately relegated from. Last season they managed to gain promotion and they are currently in mid table.

Wycombe

When I left them in the Premier League they were just above the relegation zone, I eventually took over at Middlesbrough and relegated them. They bounced straight back up, winning the Championship but they look like prime candidates for the drop again.

Deportivo

Sacking me looks like the best thing that ever happened to me, the new manager was able to get the season back on track and actually won promotion in that year, finishing 3rd. They are currently in mid table in La Liga.

Good idea :) Looks like for most of the teams your presence was what was making the difference. I think I'll do the same...

Forward

I left them just outside the promotion places in the Swedish First Division North. They managed a season or two of midtable obscurity before finally being relegated to my unplayable leagues. I feel a little guilty as they might have survived longer if it hadn't been for the debt I'd managed to rack up.

Pizzighettone

Again they managed to surive for a couple of seasons after I left them. All they managed was mid table which was pretty much what I'd delivered to them. They were then relegated from the Serie C1A into my unplayable leagues. And there they stayed for 5 years before finally being promoted back to the Serie C1A. They've not played any games yet but I'll be keeping an eye on them.

Hull

I left them after promotion to the Championship. They managed to have an amazing first season there and ended up in the play off finals. Unfortunately for them they didn't managed to win and have spent every season since in the Championship. They seem to fluctuate quite wildly. One season they were just outside the playoffs, the next they were just outside the relegation zone.

And thats it. I've only actually managed three domestic clubs. But then I have managed all three, plus Sochaux, for quite some time as well as having taken a break from domestic management in favour of the DR of Congo in the middle. I've got quite a soft spot for Forward and Pizzi after spending 3 and 5 years there respectively. I think that after I've achieved some more at the higher levels I could be tempted back to one of them for the long haul.

Archived