The FM08 Career Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What reputations did everyone on here start with , i started as pro footballer , but after a few discussions , i feel as though i am in some way cheating :S

Automatic and unemployed.

After a little wait it got me a job in the BSS with an unknown reputation.

Deciding to start me a career game until FM 09 comes out. Going to load the following:

All English leagues

All Czech leagues

All Scottish leagues

All Spanish leagues

Italian leagues down to Serie C1

Germany down to the Third Division

Finally the Portugese Leagues down to Liga Vitalis

I am running those leagues on a medium database as this laptop would not be able to handle a large database.

Well here goes, arguably the biggest game in both Harrogate Town's and my career so far with 'Run' by Snow Patrol in the background, this will be one hell of a match!

oh and guess what, the 40 goals a season Danny Holland is just about fit for the match :D

Run such a brilliant song. Good luck btw.

Really not sure whether to stay at Harrogate or not, Danny Holland is more than likely off, the majority of the staff are leaving too, I refused an earlier contract of £200p/w with the 1 year deal I wanted, since then they have very reluctantly pushed offer up to £250p/w, but i'm still very likely to leave, i'll be sad to leave Harrogate, but I really think I need a fresh start somewhere else.

Career so far:

Season     Team                 Country    League                 League Finish    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Started    unemployed
2007/08    Harrogate Town       England    Blue Square North      16th             Took over in March
2008/09    Harrogate Town       England    Blue Square North      5th              Lost in playoff semi-final

Neil Cox the cb/dm?

Im having a real battle with Crawley for 1st place in Conference South, were about 15 points clear of the rest, and i just beat Crawley leaving me a point behind, but with still 18 games to go!

Neil Cox the cb/dm?

Im having a real battle with Crawley for 1st place in Conference South, were about 15 points clear of the rest, and i just beat Crawley leaving me a point behind, but with still 18 games to go!

The very same , ex Watford player.

Ok then. As it happens I've just been on there and am on the verge of signing a 17 year old full back who has just made the squad but yet to play and looks like a good player for the future for £37k. I've played another game, my first in the league away to Chateauroux (sp) and dominated yet lost 1-0. I'm struggling to find a really good keeper at the moment which is a big problem tbh but I've made a lot of loan bids and hopefully one will sign. Shame there aren't really any ties between Finland and France.

I had a problem with keepers as well. Maybe its a general French league thing? Yeah no real ties between France and Finland but at least any Finnish players you get count as part of the EU. Tends not to be the case with some from the Congo :)

What reputations did everyone on here start with , i started as pro footballer , but after a few discussions , i feel as though i am in some way cheating :S

I started with automatic too which equates to unproven pretty much everywhere. Morridon has a great thread on the mechanics of reputation I think. And, it's not like you're cheating really :) You've openly said what rep you have, it's not like you're trying to hide the difference. If you're having fun keep going :D Thats the main thing behind any challenge. All the difference in rep means is that your career might be slightly easier in some respects because of your initial reputation. It's not really cheating, more of a difference in difficulty setting if anything.

Also a big thing I guess is justification. You've said before that having a pro footballer rep seems more realistic to you, so that's fine. It's just a different, but potentially justified, take on how to start the challenge realistically.

I went for Uruguay in the end, their squad looks pretty good and I'll have a chance to play in the Copa America at the end of this season. There's also the added bonus that one of my Boro players is Uruguayan and it will help me to learn a language.

Macclesfield - Coca Cola League Two 2012-2013

Media Prediction: 23rd

Transfer Budget: None

Transfers

This year, the only players to leave were no longer needed at the club and brought in 180k. Again, i was given none of this to spend and had to rely on free transfers and loans again. I wasnt too bothered as i was happy that the team i had could avoid relegation. Chanot, Donoghue and Murphy were brought in to make improvements in weak areas. McFarlane and Nile Ranger were signed as back up players that should hopefully improve.

This gave me a squad i was very happy with on the whole. I was unable to find a suitable left back so brought in two on loan. Ashley Corker would be my first choice. I was also able to sign Luke Ashworth on loan for another year.

Transfers

League

Up until December, the league campaign was pretty poor. We picked up the odd win but on the whole were unconvincing. We were never in the bottom two but never too far away either. In January, i changed tactics back to a 4-4-2 formation and this seemed to work. On the second half of the seasons form, i would have been in the playoffs. Because of the bad start, i ended up a respectable 15th.

Cups

League Cup:1st Round (Knocked out by Norwich)

FA Cup:2nd Round (Knocked out by Port Vale)

Johnstones Paint Trophy:Semi Final (Knocked out by Rotherham)

An average season in the cups. Beaten 4-0 by Norwich in the league cup and beaten 2-1 by Port Vale in our first real challenge in the FA Cup. We reached the semis of the JPT but were never convincing and Rotherham knocked us out 3-2 in the semis.

Summary

A good season of consolidation and the second half of the campaign has got my hopes up for next season. The finances have been improved massively through preseason competitions and player sales so i may finally get some money to spend next season.

Squad

Last seasons aims

- Improve the finances - ACHIEVED

- Avoid relegation - ACHIEVED

Next seasons aims

- Top half finish

- Reach the 3rd round of either the league cup or FA cup

- Reach the final of the JPT

Career so far

2007-2008 Stafford Rangers BSP - 16th (Took over in March)

2008-2009 Stafford Rangers BSP - 12th

2009-2010 Stafford Rangers BSP - 13th

2010-2011 Macclesfield BSP - 4th (Took over in October, beaten in playoff semi)

2011-2012 Macclesfield BSP - 2nd

2012-2013 Macclesfield League 2 - 15th

Archived