Sports Interactive Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

birdy123

The FM08 Career Thread

Just thought I'd post my expectations:

FA Cup: 2nd Round

League: Top 4, play-off win

Players: I want Murphy to score 30+

Team: I am playing 3-4-3 and want to set the record for most goals in the BSS.

:

You can see that I did not acheive my FA Cup goal. However, look here and you can see that I achieved all the others!

We are now the highest scoring team in the BSS' history!

What a season, here is the overview:

We didn't shine in any cups but focused on the league. And we scored plenty of goals! Finances looking good too.

Players stats: Due to the 433 formation, which stayed unchanged, we had many, many different scorers and also plenty of assists.

I know I've gone on about him too much, but have a look for yourselves.

I am keeping my options open but for now, this is what has happened.

This is the squad. The team selected is the one that played almost every match. Note the value of my 16 DM who I found unattached at the start of the season!

Transfers in/out. They all played their part.

Sorry if this is all a bit bitty. I dont know if it is easy to read but basically just click on all the links!

Well done fatski, should be interesting next season. Can you stay up on a squad reliant on loans?

lolleyj, you've got yourself a couple of good loans too. Looks promising.

Thanks, not as good Robbo's but just a couple to hopefully give my team a bit of quality in the final third,

also, hopefully ive just give myself the edge over other teams, by making my whole squad full time, meaning much better improvement in their games,

I take it you've got thee mighty blues as your parent club then! Taiwo will be class...

I think that is one of the reasons i am having more success at Macclesfield. They are a professional club and all players have full time deals. At Stafford, all my players were part time. While i'm mentioning Stafford, they are currently in a relegation battle. Their new manager has made massive changes and destroyed all the work i put in. He has signed a couple of reserves off me so i'm not complaining.

Another 2 wins and a defeat to third place Rochdale mean i stay 2nd. 6 points behind Morecambe now. Just need to close the gap another 3 points and we can see what happens on the final day.

My defence is too poor looking at it, that was one of strengths with chippenham with my two best players playing cb

Off and Running with a 0-2 away win at Basingstoke!

im also in the hunt for my captain at Chippenham, which i hope to complete soon! :)

Its all over. Morecambe are champions with 2 games to go. So its those dreaded playoffs again.

Ive got sailsbury and crawley both in my league! :(

hoping promotion via play offs to be honest!

Rodrigo De La Vega - FC Sochaux & DR of Congo – 2021/22

A DR of Congo update here. It was time once again for the African Cup of Nations. We were holders still and aiming for our third in a row. We had decent odds after our recent success in the competition and while I didn’t think a third win was on the cards I thought we would do well, at least another final four finish. We were in a group with Libya, Ghana and Angola.

We had little in the way of injuries before hand and the youngsters had started settling in well.

Group Stage – Libya

They looked liked they would be the easiest points in the group and they were. If it wasn’t for the fact we were warming up then the score line would have been much higher. We managed to keep a clean sheet and Gouaze and Challier scored to get us the three points.

Final Score – 2-0

Group Stage – Ghana

We’d faced Ghana before with mixed results. We’d come off the better last time though so I though that they might have a score to settle. I though they would be the most challenging in the group and for most of the match they were. They were as good as us and managed to grab a goal in the first half. We came out much better in the second half through an a goal from Hernandez and a brace from Nlundulu.

Final Score – 3-1

Group Stage – Angola

The match was over almost as soon as it started for Angola. Gouaze banged in a superb goal before grabbing another at the stroke of half time. We got another goal from midfield and that was it. Angola managed to get one back but there wasn’t much fight left in them.

Final Score – 3-1

After the Angola match we were sitting pretty at the top of the table. That gave us a good draw. So we went ‘away’ to Sudan. We had never faced them in the competition before (as far as I can remember). Mainly because they just weren’t very good.

Quarter Finals - Sudan

That said they had managed to get to the Quarters so they deserved a little respect, not that my team seemed to agree. They knocked the ball around well and generally out classed them. It wasn’t quite the drubbing that I imagined. The strike partnership of Gouaze and Hernandez hit the mark again with a goal each.

Final Score – 2-0

The luck of the draw seemed to run out again as we were paired up against old enemies Nigeria. Again we had mixed results with them but we had history on our sides.

Semi Finals - Nigeria

We were much better than them from start to finish. We never went behind and never looked like we would. We went ahead with goals from Goauze again and Nlundulu before Nigeria got one back. To make sure there was no doubt though Goauze popped up again with a goal.

Final Score – 3-1

Final - Botswana

Our third final in as many competitions! We were within touching distance of not only another Cup but a historic third in a row. And our luck seemed to be back. The team we were against were not only minnows but we had beaten them in every confrontation. I think the quality of competition this year might have been a little on the poor side with the likes of Sudan and Botswana making it as far as they did. I wasn’t going to complain though. An easy match was an easy match.

It wasn’t quite a walk in the park though. Botswana had some fight in them so despite a lot of pressure we didn’t actually score until the 80th minute. It was tournament favorite Gouaze and top scorer again with the goal. There were no more goals after that and there was a panicky few minutes of added time as Botswana desperately tried to claw one back and take it to extra time.

Final Score – 1-0

Third in a row! I couldn’t be happier with that. DR of Congo have really grown on me as a team and after this success I don’t really want to leave. I’m not quite sure how much more I can do with them but I shall leave off any dramatic decisions until our World Cup appearance in the summer.

-------Year--------- Team-------------League---------------Position-------------Misc-----------

2007             BK Forward         First Division North          6th
2008             BK Forward         First Division North          3rd
2009             BK Forward         First Division North          3rd
2010             BK Forward         First Division North       Resigned
2010/11        Pizzighettone             Serie C1A                    9th
2011/12        Pizzighettone             Serie C1A                    12th               Won Serie C Cup
2012/13        Pizzighettone             Serie C1A                    9th
2013/14        Pizzighettone             Serie C1A                   10th
2014/15        Pizzighettone             Serie C1A                   12th 
2015/16       DR of Congo           African Nations               4th 
2016/17       DR of Congo                 WCQ's                       1st 
2018            DR of Congo           African Nations            Winners
2018            DR of Congo                World Cup               2nd Round
2018/19            Hull City                       L1                             2nd                      JPT Winners
2019/20        FC Sochaux                   Ligue 2                        2nd
2020            DR of Congo           African Nations             Winners
2020/21        FC Sochaux                   Ligue 1                        12th
2020/21           DR of Congo                WCQ’s                            1st
2020                DR of Congo               Confederations Cup       4th 
2022               DR of Congo              African Nations          Winners

[b]Trophy Cabinet[/b]
Serie C Cup (Pizzghettone)
Johnstone’s Paint Trophy (Hull City)

African Nations x3 (DR of Congo)

Macclesfield - Blue Square Premier 2011-2012

Media Prediction: 5th

Transfer Budget: None

Transfers

With the club losing money, it was obvious that sales would have to be made. I was happy with the squad that ended last season but when clubs offered cash for players, i had to accept. There were plenty of decent players available on frees so i wasnt too upset about any of the summer sales.

Again, full use was made of the loan system and 3 players joined on season long loans. Stephen Connor returned for a second season at the club and Wigan sent Luke Ashworth and Adam Prince our way to give them first team football. This season though, was probably the first where i have not relied on loan players. We could have coped without them but they allowed us much more squad depth. Of the loan signings, Connor was undoubtably the most impressive and he became Macclesfields top goalscorer.

Christophe and Higgins were the most impressive permanent signings. These two could be fixtures in the team for years, assuming i can afford to keep them!

Transfers

In January, the chairman went over my head and accepted a bid for my only left back Martin Slocombe. I had high hopes for him and it was a disappointing loss. I had to act quickly to bring in Michael McCulloch on loan as cover.

League

The league campaign always looked promising. We made a decent start to the campaign and remained i the playoff spots through to January. From here, our form just got better and at one stage we won 8 games in a row and did not lose in 13 games. This took us up to 2nd in the table by March and gave us real hope of promotion. We were 6 points off top with just a handful of games to go but we had leaders Morecombe to play on the final day. In the end, it didnt matter and a draw at Woking gave them the title with 2 games left. We finished the season in 2nd and will enter the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row.

Cups

FA Cup:2nd Round (Knocked out by Cambridge United)

FATrophy:2nd Round (Knocked out by Ebbsfleet)

Setanta Shield:4th Round (Knocked out by Kidderminster)

An extremely poor cup campaign. Early exits from the FA Trophy and Setanta Shield and defeat in the FA Cup to a team we should have beat. The board were not happy.

Summary

Another good campaign in which we just came up short. We really need promotion. Can we do it in the playoffs?

The squad is probably better than this time last season and apart from Slocombe, no players left that i would have liked to stay.

Squad

There has been no improvement in our financial position. I made the club over 300k through player sales and almost 100k through friendlies. This just prevented the situation from getting worse. Something needs to be done but i am struggling for ideas.

Last seasons aims

- Improve the finances - FAILED

- Get promoted - ?

Career so far

2007-2008 Stafford Rangers BSP - 16th (Took over in March)

2008-2009 Stafford Rangers BSP - 12th

2009-2010 Stafford Rangers BSP - 13th

2010-2011 Macclesfield BSP - 4th (Took over in October, beaten in playoff semi)

2011-2012 Macclesfield BSP - 2nd

Playoff update to follow

Christophe and Higgins were the most impressive permanent signings. These two could be fixtures in the team for years, assuming i can afford to keep them!

---------

both are class!

and good luck in P/O's!

Well done Peljam. How do you rate your world cup chances? The African Nations is one thing but the world cup is something else.

Playoff Semi Final Second Leg

Get In! Thats more like it! It didnt look likely in the first half. Brought on another forward, Luke Powell at half time. We got one back but they scored again. Time for another forward, Bartholemew. We now had four strikers on the pitch, told them to go all out attack and they didnt disappoint!

Playoff Final

We are going up!

We are going up!

Another great performance where we restricted Rochdale to just 1 shot on target. We will be playing our football in the football league next season.

Aims for next season

- Stay up

- Improve the finances

Cheers, i will! Already arranged my first two signings (frees, obviously) and had enquiries about half of my players. May have to sell again but if these cup friendlies work, i might get away with it.

Yeh you should robbo!

im sure ull gain around 750k from 3 tournaments!

you could even do more, its just a shame u cant dio em before deciding trasfer budget,

anyway 10 games, 7 wins 3 losses, leaves me in 3rd,

im off for the night, cya tommorow guys!

Things are not going too well at Middlesbrough. Despite spending a whopping £62m in pre season the team is in exactly the same position, 17th. The only difference is that the club is heavily in debt and the board are not happy about it. I wouldn't be surprised if I was sacked before the end of the season if things don't improve, shame really as I've signed some superb youngsters and someone is going to walk into a job with the great young team I've assembled.

unlucky dafuge, seems hard to imagine spending all that money and not improving your league position

mini update on my Harrogate season. Currently 14 games into the BSN sitting 9th, but the table is very close, however looking at my past positions there is a positive rise going on, despite a lot of inconsistent results.

unlucky dafuge, seems hard to imagine spending all that money and not improving your league position

I think it's down to two reasons, firstly the team will take time to get with such a large number of new players and secondly there was a lot of young players.

The team should be pretty good in the future but it's just a case of seeing if I can hang on long enough to see the results of it.

Like you said earlier, it would be a shame for someone to walk into a great team full of hot prospects for the future if you do get sacked

I wouldn't worry too much Dafuge in my experience, after spending alot of money the team are woeful for a month or two, but then with a few changes and some experience of playing together they should settle in.

I think you will be alright.

Good work Peljam! Would love to see you bring back the World Cup!

That Gouaze sounds really good. If you could keep him in form who knows what you could achieve.

I've signed a few new players in each position where new blood was definitely needed.

Yeah, I am still at Finland, but the club hasn't got the highest transfer budget to say the least. Still, am about to play a bit now and see what happens. Have you got loads of DR Congo players with FC Sochaux?!

I lost in the French Cup after taking the lead, surrendering the lead and then the game in the 122nd minute :[

Good work Peljam! Would love to see you bring back the World Cup!

That Gouaze sounds really good. If you could keep him in form who knows what you could achieve.

I've signed a few new players in each position where new blood was definitely needed.

Yeah, I am still at Finland, but the club hasn't got the highest transfer budget to say the least. Still, am about to play a bit now and see what happens. Have you got loads of DR Congo players with FC Sochaux?!

I lost in the French Cup after taking the lead, surrendering the lead and then the game in the 122nd minute :[

Ta :) I think the World Cup might be a bit of an ask but if we're in form I reckon we could get into the quarters at least. Gouaze is fantastic, I'll stick a screen shot of him up a bit later. I've got him playing for Sochaux and he's on about 23 goals in 34 games, and he's only my second top goalscorer :D

Good luck with Istres. Sometimes a small budget can be a boon. It forces you to work with the talent still at the club I guess.

I've got tons of Congo players for Sochaux! I've really abused my position. In the starting 11 there are between 3 and 6 Congo players (depending on injuries and such). Because a lot of them love me for giving them a chance in the international set up they were willing to come to France. DR of Congo and France have a huge link anyway, when I first moved to Sochaux there were already 2 Congo players there (who have since retired). It's good I think to have a few in. Your internationals get regular matches and develop, and your team players get more experience on a potentially better international stage. I do wish there were some news items about my tendency to favour Congo players at domestic level though.

My update will come soon, and its a fustrating one, because I wouldve been in the playoffs if I had won the last match...but no, my team flopped completely. This has happened to me a ridiculous amount of times now :thdn:

Ta :) I think the World Cup might be a bit of an ask but if we're in form I reckon we could get into the quarters at least. Gouaze is fantastic, I'll stick a screen shot of him up a bit later. I've got him playing for Sochaux and he's on about 23 goals in 34 games, and he's only my second top goalscorer :D

Good luck with Istres. Sometimes a small budget can be a boon. It forces you to work with the talent still at the club I guess.

I've got tons of Congo players for Sochaux! I've really abused my position. In the starting 11 there are between 3 and 6 Congo players (depending on injuries and such). Because a lot of them love me for giving them a chance in the international set up they were willing to come to France. DR of Congo and France have a huge link anyway, when I first moved to Sochaux there were already 2 Congo players there (who have since retired). It's good I think to have a few in. Your internationals get regular matches and develop, and your team players get more experience on a potentially better international stage. I do wish there were some news items about my tendency to favour Congo players at domestic level though.

Ok then. As it happens I've just been on there and am on the verge of signing a 17 year old full back who has just made the squad but yet to play and looks like a good player for the future for £37k. I've played another game, my first in the league away to Chateauroux (sp) and dominated yet lost 1-0. I'm struggling to find a really good keeper at the moment which is a big problem tbh but I've made a lot of loan bids and hopefully one will sign. Shame there aren't really any ties between Finland and France.

Casale

Season 08/09 - Media Prediction - 14th

When I took over at the beginning of the season, the team had no players or staff and all I had was 8.4k p/w wage allowance to get what I could and I did find some quality players. They were mostly young players, but hopefully that'll mean the team will generally improve next season

Final Squad (Basically transfers) - http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/abaddon1111/Football%20manager/CasaleCasale_Players.png

We started the season off well with 5 straight wins (including cup matches) but soon the team began to falter and it looked like we were heading into the relegation zone, however we managed to avoid it all season and towards the end began a positive climb towards the top of the table. In the last few matches it became clear we had a real chance at making the play-offs, but conceding a silly late goal against castelnuovo and only managing a 2-2 draw it looked like we were going to be relying on other results. When It came to the final day, the above team (torres) were against 1st placed Pro Sesto (who I had beaten but they had only been beaten 4 times) and I was against 4th placed olbia, but since I did pretty well against the top teams I thought I had a real chance. Torres Lost their match but it wasn't to be, my team came out and had a bad day of it and we lost 3-1, but it could've been a worse scoreline. So that was it, the season finished with us a teasing 3 points from the play-offs, with better goal difference than the team above us.

Final Table - http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/abaddon1111/Football%20manager/ItalianSerieC2_AStages.png

Past League Positions - http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/abaddon1111/Football%20manager/186aa02c.png

The best player of the season has to be Langella, with a fantastic 23 assists, 5 goals, 5 man of the matches and the highest average rating of my squad! - http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/abaddon1111/Football%20manager/GiovanniLangellaProfile.png

Aims for next season - Promotion :D

Career so far

Casale                 Serie C2/A              Finished 6th

Not bad at all starburst. You've laid the foundations, hopefully next season you ca go a step further.

Good start to my day to be honest,

Won all my leagues games so far (3)

although a shock defeat at home to wivenhoe 4-1! in the fa cup 3rd round quali, which im not happy about.

I Hate that, in full control 1-0 vs Bottom of league bromley, and with their 1st shot of the day they score in the 91st minute. ::@

15 games gone , 18 points , 5 wins , 3 draws , 7 losses . :)

Just won 1-0 at home v Torquay , Mnciven (came on as sub on 80 mins) scored in the 92nd minute :) , then drew 0-0 at home to Histon .

On the downside , My star centre back Sangare is out for 2 weeks with concussion , and Hazley (Left winger) is out for 2 months after getting injured for NI u21s :(

2025/26 Season Review

After avoiding relegation I was going into my second season with Middlesbrough in the hope of getting them back on track to European football.

League Table

League Positions Graph

Avoided relegation but had an awful start to the season. Things picked up late on in the season but it wasn't enough to achieve the mid table place I had set out to get.

Squad

Transfers

On of the reasons I think for my poor start was the large number of young players I brought in. A lot of them weren't really ready to play at that level and it took the team until about March to start playing some decent football.

Here's the new boys:

Romulo Lopes - expensive at a staggering £18m but I just had to get this wonderkid centre back, should become one of the world's best centre backs

Ashley Adeniyi - signed as a backup striker he ended up playing the whole season on the left wing, because I sold the club's best left winger to finance the debt

Matt Rodwell - a bargain at £800k and had a solid season

Aldemir - another expensive Brazilian wonderkid, he was a player I originally scouted with Wycombe, just couldn't get him though

Marcello Serra - backup goalie

Jonas Strand - improved later on in the season, possible target man

Robert Dijkstra - lost out to Matt Rodwell, an expensive backup

Jim Vaughan - a bargain at £250k, signed as I started running out of money

Christian Gravelaine - I was looking for a right back and a right winger, I'm still not sure which he is

Juan Noble - I was getting desperate for a winger here, he did quite well though

Joe Selby - a bargain from Arsenal, squad player

Kleber - could feature a bit more next season, great value

Job News

I have one year left on my contract, unless things improve I can't imagine I'll get a new one. I'm not looking to move though, I've got some players here that I want to see develop.

Career so far:

Season     Team                 Country    League                 League Finish    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Started    unemployed
2007/08    St Albans            England    Blue Square South      15th             Took over in March
2008/09    St Albans            England    Blue Square South      3rd              Lost in playoff final
2009/10    St Albans            England    Blue Square South      2nd              Promoted via playoffs
2010/11    St Albans            England    Blue Square Premier    4th              Lost in playoff final
2011/12    St Albans            England    Blue Square Premier    3rd              Promoted via playoffs
2012/13    St Albans            England    League 2               14th    
2013/14    St Albans            England    League 2               7th              Promoted via playoffs
2014/15    St Albans            England    League 1               14th  
2015/16    Bassano Virtus       Italy      C1/A                   16th             Relegated, resigned  
2016/17    Notts County         England    League 2               9th          
2017/18    Notts County         England    League 2               3rd              Promoted  
2018/19    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           19th
2019/20    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           21st
2020/21    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           18th
2021/22    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           3rd              Lost in playoff semi
2022/23    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           4th              Lost in playoff semi
2023/24    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           3rd              Promoted via playoffs
2024/25    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Premier League         n/a              Left to join Deportivo
2024/25    Deportivo La Coruna  Spain      Liga BBVA              n/a              Sacked after 13 games
2024/25    Middlesbrough        England    Premier League         17th             Took over in February
2025/26    Middlesbrough        England    Premier League         16th             

just secured a place in the BSN play-offs, got 2 league games left to go. I'm not sure if i'm going to stay here at Harrogate whether I get them promoted or not though.

What reputations did everyone on here start with , i started as pro footballer , but after a few discussions , i feel as though i am in some way cheating :S

2008-09, Harrogate Town, Blue Square South

After taking over last season with only a handful of games left and keeping the team from relegation, this season was to be my first full one. Being 150 odd thousand pound in debt meant that I wouldn't be buying anyone in the summer, my only hope was to get a few loans in from bigger clubs. The most notable being Kris King and Matthew Edwards.

At the end of the season things looked like this, past positions

We drew Tamworth in the semi-final of the play-offs, proper end of season report to come after either the semi's or the final if we make it.