The FM08 Career Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha! just had my final season ticket update. After selling a mahussive 17 season tickets last year, i have managed to sell a similarly huge 16 season tickets. Like wtf, i got a new stadium for goodness sakes. I'm looking forward to seeing to seeing my final average attendance at the end of the season. Was 563 last season.

I used automatic and got offered the Stafford job in the BSP in March. I loaded a league that had a Jan/Feb start and selected that as my start date. By then, there were a few teams without managers so i applied and was accpeted.

Good luck lolleyj, playoffs a possibility?

There are going to be massive changes at Macclesfield. I didnt really want to change the team but teams keep offering decent money for my players and i am reluctantly accepting. There are quite a few good players not renewing contracts elsewhere so hopefully i can get some of these in to replace them.

Yes a huge possibility, just 1 point away from play offs now after winning my 1st game in charge 3-0.

Mustapha Hadji my new singing, just bagged a debut goal :)

And, Not bad to hear i suppose, at least you can now keep your wages down etc etc..

got my first win this season :) 5-1 and my best striker, Giuseppe Negro, scored all 5

i also just got 2 new members of staff

Carlo Cudicini - Ass.Man

Lee Carsley - Coach

Good to hear, hopefully negro will be that good for me in future :thup: he's scored 8 goals and 4 assists in 5 starts and 9 sub appearances

This is ridiculous. Just made the club another 200k but we are still 400k in debt. I have organised some preseason friendlies with championship sides so hopefully these will bring a bit of money in. Wages are still high at about 14k but this is now under the budget of 17k.

A LAST MINUTE DISSALOWED GOAL COST ME A PLAY OFF PLACE!

94TH MINUTE AND HE FLAGGED :(:(

Although its my fault,. afte ropening up a 5 point gap between 5th and 6th..i werent able to sustain my form which saw me win my 1st 4 matches in charge, and in the end, i only picked up 7 points from my last 6 games.

Just started a career game with all leagues from England, Scotland, Denmark, Argentina and Hong Kong loaded, no holiday applied for a few jobs, got offered the Tai Po and Workable jobs in Hong Kong, they are predicted 9th and 10th(bottom two) and i tossed a coin, the experienced(or not) U.A.E manager, Eelyzer Vyrxin was heading to Tai Po and set the goal for 8th place, just above the relegation zone.

Just started a career game with all leagues from England, Scotland, Denmark, Argentina and Hong Kong loaded, no holiday applied for a few jobs, got offered the Tai Po and Workable jobs in Hong Kong, they are predicted 9th and 10th(bottom two) and i tossed a coin, the experienced(or not) U.A.E manager, Eelyzer Vyrxin was heading to Tai Po and set the goal for 8th place, just above the relegation zone.

haha i started with Workable, and got sacked :( hope you can do something with Tai Po

good luck

what reputation did you start with?

Automatic so i doubt the reputation was high, don't think you need a high reputation to take over any team in Hong Kong :s

@Charlesbeams: Hope so aswell, i managed them 2 season in fm07, managed 7th place the first and was 9th the second :(

Hi guys, I enjoy reading this thread. One question though - to be considered as part of the challenge, would you have had to have started as unemployed? I started with Santa Clara in Portugals Second Tier, and have loads of leagues running so I'll see where my career takes me.. but as said I didn't start unemployed.

Hi guys, I enjoy reading this thread. One question though - to be considered as part of the challenge, would you have had to have started as unemployed? I started with Santa Clara in Portugals Second Tier, and have loads of leagues running so I'll see where my career takes me.. but as said I didn't start unemployed.

That's not a problem, you don't have to start unemployed.

Oh dear lolley, whats happening?

NEWSFLASH: Forest Green 2-0 Salisbury.

Putting The Mighty Arsenal Reserves/St.Albans 5 points clear with two games to go.

Any points away at bottom club Tiverton and we wont need a nailbiting last day.

Im St.Albans aswell Fatski ;)

And well played :)

Well luckily ive lowered my wages by around 2,000 by just continually offering my py players pay cuts, which they accept, so its improving, but i still need 6 or 7 players and season starts in 3 weeks..also have no players full time, meaning they wont improve as much :(

Well this season isnt looking great. I told the board i would win the league but i am only currently in the playoffs and a good 12 points behind leaders Morecambe. In January now and the chairman has decided to sell one of my best players for 190k, leaving me without a left back. Still 350k in the red... this club simply isnt profitable! Not unless the wages are reduced to about half that of the budget i have been given. Obviously i am getting blamed for the clubs financial position, even though i am quite far under the wage budget and have made them about 500k in player sales during my time here. We need promotion... that is the only way i can see this club getting more profitable.

Im the bookies favourite to be offered the san marino (the club) job, wouldn't really be a step up or a step down, but depending if they gave me some transfer cash looking at their squad I think i could get them promoted if i did take the job, for now im happy at casale though, im only 3 points of the play-offs with quite a few games to go. Who knows it might be casales second consecutive promotion

Dont sound good Robbo, try my CONTRACT Tactic haha!

ive reduced my wages loads,

also, i did a couple of cups, with championships teams, (2), and i gained 500k from it all!!

and Well done straburst, keep going, im closing in on my 1st game, with my squad ready and hopefully ready to win the league

Paul what i want to know is, since when have google done odds haha!?

Last season St.Albans received 100,000 from gat receipts (rounded up to nearest 10,000)

Since Joe Lolley has been in charge through JUST Pre season St Albans have raised £550,000 (rounded)

The problem is, whatever i do to make money only stops our debt increasing. We are losing money so fast that selling players and playing friendlies just keeps us about level at 350-450k in debt.

At least i'm winning, up to 4th in the league and 8 points off top. Massive match against 3rd place Kidderminster up next.

Robbo try friendly tournaments with 3 champ teams,

1. it only last 2 days, can make about 6 or 7

2. you make around 200k per tournament depending on stadium etc, so probably more for macclesfield, means you can make around 1 million from pre season with say 4 or 5 tournamets!

and Lol Paul :p

Cheers lolleyj, didnt realise it was so much more for tournaments. Saying that, FM tends to lie to me about how much i will make from friendlies anyway. Had a few and it said i would make 35k from each. When i looked in finances, i was making 24k from each (including match day income) but had match day expenses of 12k, meaning i was only making 10k per friendly.

Things are looking up in the league though. Beat Kidderminster 3-1 and followed it up by thrashing my old club Stafford 5-0. Just won again moving me up to 2nd and 4 points behind Morecambe, though they do have a match in hand.

Archived